Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is gonna be the guy.....

Started by MultipleScoreGasms, November 03, 2017, 11:58:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fusbal11

Quote from: USChog on November 03, 2017, 12:19:07 pm
Obviously Les has a good record at LSU, but so did Bret at Wisc. The problem is, the record is not indicative of their coaching abilities. Arkansas needs a coach who has gotten it done at a difficult place, not at shoe in 9 win school.

I completely agree!
Wooo Pig

HogRockCafe

A motivated Les will be much different than the Les we know.  Not a vote for Les, but some program will benefit. 

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: Spektre on November 03, 2017, 01:08:42 pm
To put Les Miles on the same level as BB is absolutely unconscionable.

First, I've never been a fan of Les Miles because he was at LSU, and his offenses were lackluster.

HOWEVER, the guy can recruit his tail off, goes toe to toe with anyone in the SEC, is a perennial wildcard to win or at the very LEAST finish 4th or so. Regardless of the outcome, LSU remained relevant every year he was there. You people throwing his name out the window need a reality check, because our BEST year in over a DECADE was 11-2, with one of the 2 losses coming from Mr. Miles at LSU 41-17.

Miles had big success at OkState and LSU... which Arkansas is pretty much sandwiched between. Even if the man has not changed his offensive philosophy a single bit, which is unlikely, a return to relevance would be a huge step forward with a national championship winner at the helm.

He did not have "big success" at Ok State... He went 4-7, 8-5, 9-4, 7-5... Recruiting rankings were 51,31,21,24.   
So he did increase their recruiting to about where we average in the low 20s.  Also there were lots of allegations about money to players during his time there.
I do not feel he is an Elite coach or recuiter, and would not want him at ARkansas

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 03, 2017, 02:21:15 pm
Jeez.  I didn't call you a knucklehead.  I called the many, many Hogville posters over the years who have ridiculed Miles knuckleheads.  And I have done it in the past when those same knuckleheads predicted Arkansas would beat LSU simply because Miles is a bad coach.  For years now every fan with a phone jumps on the bandwagon when the talking heads see a piece of questionable clock management or someone chewing a piece of grass. 

If you think Saban built LSU then you are a knucklehead.  Saban coached 5 years and won 77%.  Miles coached 11 1/2 years and won 77%.  Saban took LSU to one BCS championship game and won.  Miles went to two, won one and lost one.  Did Saban take LSU to a different level?  Yes.  Did he leave Miles a great gig?  No doubt about it.  Does Saban get all of the credit for Miles' success at LSU?  That's ridiculous. 

Someone above claims Miles "underachieved" at LSU.  LSU has won 65% of its games since it started playing football in 1893.  Miles and Saban both won there at historically high levels.  When Saban took over in 2000, LSU and Arkansas had won exactly the same number of national titles - 1.  Did the recruiting base suddenly change in 2000?  No.  LSU had great football coaches for 16 1/2 years, though.   

I haven't seen anyone say Les Miles would do at Arkansas what he did at LSU.  Why would he?  LSU and Arkansas have played each other 62 times.  Twenty-five of those were in the SEC.  LSU has won 61% of its games against Arkansas overall and 60% of its SEC games against the Hogs.  LSU has won 65% all-time.  Arkansas has won 59% all-time. 

Think about this - Miles winning percentage in 11 years at LSU was 18.5% above LSU's all-time winning percentage.  If he increased Arkansas's by the same amount, he would have a 70% winning percentage at Arkansas.  That is almost Frank Broyles' number of 71%.  Would he do that?  Who knows, but that's the way to compare apples to apples. 

These people do not want Miles because of one thing - PASSING. Read all of their posts in total about any coach and their like r dislike always comes back to how much said coach's team's pass the ball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 03, 2017, 02:13:10 pm
I'm not saying Miles or Malzahn would be successful here (in fact, I believe that whoever our next football coach is, within five years we will either fire him or he will move on to a better job).

However, if you are going to attempt the argument that either one is not a good football coach, prepared to be called out on your ignorance.

(All fan bases are full of stupid, ours included. That's why if I was a successful coach who could have my pick of jobs, I would let my agent know that if Jeff Long called my number was $7 million a year with a $20 million buyout. I don't begrudge coaches a dime of what they make. More power to them.)
Expectations wise, Arkansas is on the lower rung of expectations compared to the rest of the SEC. The fact that Bielemas fate may or may not be sealed says it all. That in itself makes this job more marketable. We have very few fans who expect any coach to win a championship. So, really fans here are not as unreasonable or "stupid" as some people make it out to be. I think 90 plus% of fans would be perfectly happy with 7-8 wins/year with the occasional 10 plus win year twice a decade.

I don't begrudge coaches making as much as possible either. On the flip side? They should also be held accountable for their win/loss records. At most schools they actually are. LSU was one of them. So ya, wanna make 6-7 million/year? That's great...we will pay it. But in the meantime you better bring a championship. So see...this thing goes both ways, or it should in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TM Hog

I don't understand the love for Les Miles. I just don't see him as a good fit for us.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TM Hog on November 03, 2017, 02:26:06 pm
I don't understand the love for Les Miles. I just don't see him as a good fit for us.

I think at 63 years old, it may just be time for Les to retire. Not sure he is a good fit right now anywhere.

Torqued pork

Miles won't get the athletes on defense he had at LSU , but his Fred Flinstone offense wouldn't be impossible to duplicate.

East Clintwood

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 02:20:21 pm
Grobe was the Matt Campbell of that year in college football. Doing things that had never been done at a school that never had been much in football.

That would tend to make me want to strike Matt Campbell off our list. ;)
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 02:20:21 pm
Grobe was the Matt Campbell of that year in college football. Doing things that had never been done at a school that never had been much in football.

I don't understand why people use his name mockingly to criticize Jeff Long. Bowden, sure. But Grobe was a solid coach.

HF#1

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 03, 2017, 02:28:54 pm

That would tend to make me want to strike Matt Campbell off our list. ;)

Campbell needs another year or two of seasoning. I wouldn't pull the trigger on him yet.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hawg Marshal

We will see I guess. If  Miles is hired and is a success I'll be first in line to eat crow.But if he's not I'll be first in line to say I told you so. My final statement on the thread. I really didn't mean to get into an argument over this stuff. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 02:24:35 pm
These people do not want Miles because of one thing - PASSING. Read all of their posts in total about any coach and their like r dislike always comes back to how much said coach's team's pass the ball.
I personally think it's more so about winning/losing. Does a Wisconsin minded Bielema or Les Miles philosophy give Arkansas the best chance to win?

I mean to even have to ask that question is twilight zone material.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Pulse

If he was a good coach, he'd still be at LSU. It was always a comedy of errors with that guy on the sideline.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 03, 2017, 02:25:29 pm
Expectations wise, Arkansas is on the lower rung of expectations compared to the rest of the SEC. The fact that Bielemas fate may or may not be sealed says it all. That in itself makes this job more marketable. We have very few fans who expect any coach to win a championship. So, really fans here are not as unreasonable or "stupid" as some people make it out to be. I think 90 plus% of fans would be perfectly happy with 7-8 wins/year with the occasional 10 plus win year twice a decade.

Then we have a problem.  We don't need to shuffle coaches in and out, but we don't need to be happy with the numbers you just threw out, either.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 02:29:41 pm
Campbell needs another year or two of seasoning. I wouldn't pull the trigger on him yet.

Yet just about every name being thrown around here is just like Campbell. Only been a hc for a couple of years, never been anywhere long enough to have to do it with only players they recruited.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: The Pulse on November 03, 2017, 02:33:42 pm
If he was a good coach, he'd still be at LSU. It was always a comedy of errors with that guy on the sideline.

Poppycock. The only reason Les was fired from LSU is he lost to Bama too many times.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

grayhawg

Well I would bet coaches would come to work for Miles, not my first choice but better than what we have now.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Pulse on November 03, 2017, 02:33:42 pm

That's just ridiculous.  LSU has been a national power since 2000 because of Saban and Miles.  It tickled me when LSU's administration caved into to it's moronic fanbase and launched Miles like a SCUD missile mid-season.  Talk about spoiled. petulant brats.  Watch them go back to their 65% historic winning level because of it. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Spektre on November 03, 2017, 01:08:42 pm
To put Les Miles on the same level as BB is absolutely unconscionable.

First, I've never been a fan of Les Miles because he was at LSU, and his offenses were lackluster.

HOWEVER, the guy can recruit his tail off, goes toe to toe with anyone in the SEC, is a perennial wildcard to win or at the very LEAST finish 4th or so. Regardless of the outcome, LSU remained relevant every year he was there. You people throwing his name out the window need a reality check, because our BEST year in over a DECADE was 11-2, with one of the 2 losses coming from Mr. Miles at LSU 41-17.

Miles had big success at OkState and LSU... which Arkansas is pretty much sandwiched between. Even if the man has not changed his offensive philosophy a single bit, which is unlikely, a return to relevance would be a huge step forward with a national championship winner at the helm.

Just a few questions, was it him or Louisiana and LSU that made him have so many great recruiting classes?

Also...he had "big success at OkState"...? He went...

4-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 7-5

You also say that it's "unconscionable" to compare the 2 then say that you didn't like him cuz of his lackluster offense...with better players.

So why in the world should we be excited about Les who consistently put bad offenses on the field with superior talent? You think all those LA kids are gonna swarm to Arkansas cuz he coached at LSU?

I'm not a "poor Ol Arkansas" guy, but I highly doubt that Les is a huge improvement over what we have.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Ironhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 03, 2017, 02:38:23 pm
That's just ridiculous.  LSU has been a national power since 2000 because of Saban and Miles.  It tickled me when LSU's administration caved into to it's moronic fanbase and launched Miles like a SCUD missile mid-season.  Talk about spoiled. petulant brats.  Watch them go back to their 65% historic winning level because of it. 

You've got to admit that Lester's offense could do with some updating.  I never understood why their quarterback play wasn't better than it was.

ricepig

theFlyingHog

The trolling has gotten out of control

jethro

Whether he was my choice or not, I can see logic to it and he would have my support and well wishes to do well here.  I would not condemn him from the get go.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

The Pulse

The man got shutout by Bielema -- that should tell you everything right there. A stagnant offensive philosophy that can't evolve and atrocious QB play/development is the exact opposite of what we need. It would be a disaster if Les became our next coach.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 03, 2017, 02:06:41 pm
Seriously would fans ever forgive him for saying R-Kansas?  That alone would most likely keep some of the PTB from signing off on it.

I would.  If we could get him to say "LSWho," or eat a corndog while wearing a Hog cap.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 03, 2017, 02:42:07 pm
You've got to admit that Lester's offense could do with some updating.  I never understood why their quarterback play wasn't better than it was.

IMO, they recruited football players at QB that did not have a ton of intelligence. To run more complicated schemes, you have to have the ability to understand them. 

GuvHog

Quote from: The Pulse on November 03, 2017, 02:48:49 pm
The man got shutout by Bielema -- that should tell you everything right there. A stagnant offensive philosophy that can't evolve and atrocious QB play/development is the exact opposite of what we need. It would be a disaster if Les became our next coach.

That's why I said If he's hired as Hog HC, he'll have to hire an OC who runs a form of the Spread Offense and who is great at Developing QBs.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 02:53:20 pm
That's why I said If he's hired as Hog HC, he'll have to hire an OC who runs a form of the Spread Offense and who is great at Developing QBs.

Why do we have to run the dam% spread, just to keep the attention span of most of our fans, that seems about the same as a 4 yr old, occupied? The spread, the I, the wishbone, the seer, or the Dead T, all will work with the talent to run them, and none will work if the opponent has better defenders than you have offensive players.

If the spread were the magic bullet you all seem to think it is the everybody would be running it.

BUt what a bout a guy who spreads the field but runs the ball 70% of the time, would you be happy then?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

He would have to hire a great OC and qb coach and leave them the hell alone and let them do their job for my approval.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 02:56:25 pm
Why do we have to run the dam% spread, just to keep the attention span of most of our fans, that seems about the same as a 4 yr old, occupied? The spread, the I, the wishbone, the seer, or the Dead T, all will work with the talent to run them, and none will work if the opponent has better defenders than you have offensive players.

If the spread were the magic bullet you all seem to think it is the everybody would be running it.

BUt what a bout a guy who spreads the field but runs the ball 70% of the time, would you be happy then?

Because that happens to be the offense that the Hogs have had the most success running the last 10 years, that's why.

The Pulse

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 02:53:20 pm

It's never a good idea to rely completely on assistants to make your team successful. If they turn out to be good, they move on to better jobs. Then you have to start all over and hope you hire someone else that is good.

Hawg Life

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 02:59:54 pm
Because that happens to be the offense that the Hogs have had the most success running the last 10 years, that's why.

Adams, Childs, Wright, Dj, Gragg, Hamilton, Knile, RM & TW about to walk through the door again?

GuvHog

Quote from: The Pulse on November 03, 2017, 03:00:34 pm
It's never a good idea to rely completely on assistants to make your team successful. If they turn out to be good, they move on to better jobs. Then you have to start all over and hope you hire someone else that is good.

Tell that to Paul "Bear" Bryant. He made his living being a CEO style HC. Frank Broyles did the same thing.

hogsanity

Just for entertainment value here, until the servers melt, I hope it is Les, with HDN as his OC.

STLhawg

So how did Les recruit at OSU?  That would be a better indication of what he might so here (than his time at LSU). 

EDIT:  I see it was answered above.  I think Lea might bump up our recruiting a bit, but I'm thinking he doesn't know much about player development (didnt need to do that much at LSU) so that negative likely offsets the gain.  I think he's only a so-so coach so IMO he isn't what we need.

The Pulse

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 03:02:58 pm
Tell that to Paul "Bear" Bryant. He made his living being a CEO style HC. Frank Broyles did the same thing.

I forgot it's 1962. I change my mind. Les would be a great coach.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 03:02:47 pm
Adams, Childs, Wright, Dj, Gragg, Hamilton, Knile, RM & TW about to walk through the door again?

There are still some good receivers out there. and Cole Kelley is a more Mobile Ryan Mallett.

draftkings33

Always reminded how dumb the fan base is when people actually say out loud they want Les Miles is a coach.  It's truly amazing

ipigsooie

The spread exploits weaknesses. No matter the talent level of the defense, and the scheme of the defense, there is always a weak spot on the field. Thats why these guys hurry to the line to get the defense to line up. The offensive coordinator is in a booth high above the field,  recognizes the defense and then calls a play to the quarterback (via headset or cue card). The best of these offenses are unstoppable.  Look at what clemson did to bama the past two years. Look at how many points ole miss put on bama with freeze. If you run the spread properly, it will exploit almost any defense.

Razor1997

I might be okay with this if he learns how to pronounce the name of our state.

GuvHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 03, 2017, 03:06:45 pm
The spread exploits weaknesses. No matter the talent level of the defense, and the scheme of the defense, there is always a weak spot on the field. Thats why these guys hurry to the line to get the defense to line up. The offensive coordinator is in a booth high above the field,  recognizes the defense and then calls a play to the quarterback (via headset or cue card). The best of these offenses are unstoppable.  Look at what clemson did to bama the past two years. Look at how many points ole miss put on bama with freeze. If you run the spread properly, it will exploit almost any defense.

Well said. As has been proven the last 4 years, Arkansas isn't going to out muscle many teams in the SEC, they have to out finesse them and that's what the Spread does.

Sooie71923

Les Miles would not come close to recruiting the talent he had at LSU, here.  Sorry. It would be a terrible hire.

Arkansas best chance for success is to hire a coach that can coach the Xs and Os. A genius.  Not some "top recruiter" at a championship team because he will never replicate the same recruiting success he once had.

ipigsooie

Also, not everybody runs it but bascially every team not named Alabama that has won a national championship in the past 10 years or so run some version of the spread.

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 03, 2017, 03:06:45 pm
The best of these offenses are unstoppable. 

Yet what is the highest PPG average for a team in any season the last 15 years? Unstoppable, really?

IF you run ANY offense properly it will exploit weakness in the defense.

Old misses, great offense that could not beat the Hogs the last 3 time they played old Freeze.

GuvHog

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 03, 2017, 03:11:14 pm
Les Miles would not come close to recruiting the talent he had at LSU, here.  Sorry. It would be a terrible hire.

Arkansas best chance for success is to hire a coach that can coach the Xs and Os. A genius.  Not some “top recruiter” at a championship team because he will never replicate the same recruiting success he once had.

I disagree. Les would give Orgeron fits in recruiting in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. When a head Coach can walk into a recruit's home and flash a National Championship ring at the recruit, it get's the recruit's attention real quick.

hogsanity

and, as is typical of Hog fans, they IGNORE the role of the defense in winning games.
" Just get a spread x o guru in here, don't care if he can recruit or not, and we'll win games by just outscoring everyone. And even if we don't win at least it'll be exciting! ".

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 03:16:32 pm
and, as is typical of Hog fans, they IGNORE the role of the defense in winning games.
" Just get a spread x o guru in here, don't care if he can recruit or not, and we'll win games by just outscoring everyone. And even if we don't win at least it'll be exciting! ".

Les Myles is known for having great defenses so that's why no one mentions it.

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 03:11:50 pm
Yet what is the highest PPG average for a team in any season the last 15 years? Unstoppable, really?

IF you run ANY offense properly it will exploit weakness in the defense.

Old misses, great offense that could not beat the Hogs the last 3 time they played old Freeze.

He had the hog curse! Ha! It wasnt for lack of scoring, thats for sure. He may have lost to the hogs but he did win a sugar bowl running that offense. Id take it!  Point is, its my opinion that we need to run an innovative offense at arkansas to win consistently.  I dont think the pro style will work here against the competition we see.