Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jarrett Stidham, et al try to keep locker room focused to avoid downward spiral

Started by jbcarol, October 15, 2017, 08:19:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Auburn's primary team leaders, Jarrett Stidham, Stephen Roberts and Darrell Williams didn't hide their own displeasure with the Saturday afternoon result.

QuoteAuburn's team leaders have no interest in sugarcoating the missteps that led to a 27-23 loss at LSU, furthering the 21st-century losing streak in Death Valley. It was an ugly second half that severely complicated the Tigers' chances of competing for an SEC championship or a national title.

This isn't a new trend for Auburn under Gus Malzahn...

Stidham: "I think the main thing is, I mean, we just got done watching the film. I think that's kind of where it starts. Collectively as a group, we could've played a lot better. You got to bounce back from it. You got to come back this week with a great attitude to beat Arkansas."

Roberts experienced the 2014 meltdown.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Acehawg

To be honest, Gus is running a simplistic version of the high school offense he always ran.  It works against poor defenses (Arkansas is an example) and it doesn't work against great schematically correct defenses (Alabama is an example).

He's still better than CBB who loses to everybody and can't recruit or coach... 

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 1m1 minute ago

Jarrett Stidham is not allowed to audible out of play calls

QuoteQuestionable play-calling has been a recurring theme during Auburn's two losses this season, both on the road against Clemson in Week 2 and then again Saturday against LSU.

Auburn squandered a 20-point lead in Death Valley over the weekend, falling to LSU 27-23 for the team's ninth consecutive loss in Tiger Stadium. Auburn had success on the ground early on, rushing for 69 yards in the first quarter, but the offense turned predictable, calling 17 consecutive first-down runs -- including 13 in a row after taking a 20-0 lead.

While play-calling was a hot topic after the game, Auburn's players didn't question the gameplan, saying that the offensive woes after the fast start came down to execution. However, there's more to the offense's issues during Saturday's collapse than just, as Jarrett Stidham revealed a key point of interest on Sunday: Auburn's starting quarterback doesn't have the power to audible out a given called play --

After Auburn staked a 17-0 lead in the first quarter behind a strong run game, LSU adjusted accordingly, bringing a safety into the box to try to counter Kerryon Johnson's effectiveness.

"After the first quarter, they played a little bit more walk an extra guy down into the box and playing a little bit more man," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "They were mixing it up."

Auburn went scoreless in the second half with 64 yards of total offense.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello‏Verified account @bmarcello Oct 14

"They don't pay me enough to talk about play calling." — Kerryon Johnson

hobhog

Quote from: jbcarol on October 15, 2017, 08:57:24 pm

Wow. That's hilarious. Gus Bus is definitely oil.

Porkchop#1

Great news for Awbarm...they're getting to play a team who'll help them bounce back from that disappointing LSU game.  They won't need any audibles either.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

AlmaHog2011

I doubt we win..But, if we don't put a maximum effort into this game we need to cancel the rest of the games. 56-3 and they didn't let up. They also intimidated us at midfield and made a big spectacle of it.
If every player that played doesn't burn with fire I will be surprised.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol, this is rich.  Is this guy kin to Ole Miss's Laremy Tunsil ?? 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Auburn 'hurting' after historic loss at LSU

QuoteThe day after a historically bad offensive breakdown, Auburn is trying to come to grips with its latest stunning loss at LSU.

Teams in the top 10 of the AP poll were 182-0 when leading by at least 20 points against unranked opponents since 2014 before Auburn's 20-0 lead evaporated in a 27-23 loss at Tiger Stadium on Saturday.

"It's really hard to swallow," quarterback Jarrett Stidham said. "Obviously when you're up 20 points on the road in Death Valley and everything's going right and you kind of just let it slip through your fingers, it kind of sucks, honestly. It's not fun to sit there and lose a game like that, but at the end of the day, that's just the way it is sometimes. We're looking past it and looking forward to playing Arkansas this week."

Stidham, who was 9 of 26 for 165 yards and a touchdown, said he didn't sense Auburn had lost control "until the end of the game."

"Everybody's hurting with a tough loss," safety Stephen Roberts said. "We don't ever break. We're always together. We're always together as a team."

The biggest comeback by LSU against an SEC team at Tiger Stadium added yet another chapter to a rivalry full of bizarre games, particularly in Baton Rouge.

Auburn's 64 yards in the second half, with just six passing yards, was another example of an opponent making in-game adjustments that derailed Auburn's offense, which had seen similar outcomes against Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma and Clemson over the past two seasons.

"I think as an offense, as a group, in our heads, we got complacent," running back Kerryon Johnson said during a postgame radio interview. "We thought we had the game in the bag. We stopped fighting and we gave it to them on a silver platter. ... We kind of took our foot off the pedal."

Not paid enough to weigh in on the play calling.

Al Boarland

Unfortunatey, they can tell us which one of the 6 plays they are running and they can still out-talent us.

jbcarol

Scarblog: Gus Malzahn can't save Jay Jacobs, but after the worst collapse of his tenure, can the Auburn coach save himself?

QuoteFirst, Jacobs can't be saved, and Malzahn wouldn't volunteer to do it if he could. The relationship between the AD and the head football coach has been fractured for some time now. They aren't partners, and they aren't friends.

Athletic department insiders say the two men barely speak.

As for Malzahn, after choke job 1A or 1B of his tenure...

smb

GeorgiaHOG

SemperHawg

Stidham is an effective enough passer that Santos will have to play back deep in center field.  Aubbie will zone read us to death.  The Johnson kid could easily go for 180 this weekend.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

younghog

GO HOGS

jbcarol

Gus Malzahn sticks by Auburn's coaches after LSU loss

Quote"Yeah I do," he said. "It's the end of the world, OK? I'm frustrated we got beat. We were up. I'm very disappointed but we're going to rebound. So I'm not going to say I'm frustrated with our coaches, our players. No; we're going to rebound and that's what we're going to do."

Malzahn and the few offensive players made available for interviews after the debacle in Baton Rouge cited execution more than play-calling as the issue with Auburn's offense, which gained just 66 yards in the second half including just six passing yards.

But play-calling, which was already a point of contention among a disgruntled fan base during the worst offensive performance in Malzahn's coaching career in the loss to Clemson, has been critiqued far and wide since.

Auburn (5-2, 3-1 SEC) ran 17 straight times on first down and went just 3 of 14 on third downs.

Jarrett Stidham, who was 9 of 26 for 165 yards with a touchdown, was either throwing deep or quick screen passes with little in between.

Hog N Bama

Ha. Locker room won't have a problem staying focused. Especially since they don't have to worry about failing any exams at school.

hogcard1964

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 15, 2017, 09:54:47 pm
I doubt we win..But, if we don't put a maximum effort into this game we need to cancel the rest of the games. 56-3 and they didn't let up. They also intimidated us at midfield and made a big spectacle of it.
If every player that played doesn't burn with fire I will be surprised.

We started that crap at midfield.

hobhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 16, 2017, 07:36:27 am
Gus always seems to find a way to not befriend the peers around him

He has the personality of a rock. That doesn't help his cause around his program or Alabama........

onebadrubi

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 10:18:14 am
He has the personality of a rock. That doesn't help his cause around his program or Alabama........

I think it's hilarious he's pulling exactly what Nutt did to him on his new OC. 

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 14h14 hours ago

Malzahn not concerned about job security after loss: "The only thing I'm worried about is beating Arkansas." https://trib.al/n7JxNWK

QuoteWith a fan base up in arms following a blown 20-point lead in a road loss at LSU and pundits putting him squarely on the hot seat, Gus Malzahn is not concerned about his job security.

Auburn's fifth-year head coach, who is making $4.725 million annually through Dec. 2020, insists his team will "bounce back" from a 27-23 loss in Baton Rouge and "finish the season strong" with games against Texas A&M, Georgia and Alabama still remaining.

Asked if he's concerned about his job security, Malzahn said, "No, I'm not. The only thing I'm worried about is beating Arkansas and coming back and getting healed up for a week and try to finish this thing with the goals that we started to."

For the second time this season and after yet another gut-wrenching and hard to explain Auburn loss, as several have been over the past two years, Malzahn took ownership of the defeat in Baton Rouge.

jbcarol

Tom Green‏Verified account @Tomas_Verde 15h15 hours ago

Updated story on Auburn's litany of injured players, including one starter already ruled out for Arkansas http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/10/gus_malzahn_updates_status_of_2.html ...

QuoteStarting center Casey Dunn will miss Saturday's 6:30 p.m. matchup with the Razorbacks due to an undisclosed injury, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn announced Tuesday. Dunn is one of several Auburn players dealing with injuries in the wake of the team's collapse at LSU last weekend.

"We're a little beat up as a team right now," Malzahn said. "We've got some injuries. We've got some guys that are playing that aren't quite 100 percent. That is normal this time of year, especially not having an off week. So our guys are looking forward to this game and obviously we'll have an off week next week and be able to heal up."

...If Horton joins Dunn as unable to play against Arkansas, Auburn will start Marquel Harrell at left guard and Austin Golson at center, while Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. will once again start at left tackle.

Auburn is also dealing with a litany of injuries on the defensive side of the ball...

Razor1997

Quote from: jbcarol on October 16, 2017, 05:38:17 am
The day after a historically bad offensive breakdown, Auburn is trying to come to grips with its latest stunning loss at LSU.

Teams in the top 10 of the AP poll were 182-0 when leading by at least 20 points against unranked opponents since 2014 before Auburn's 20-0 lead evaporated in a 27-23 loss at Tiger Stadium on Saturday.

Wow, Gus had a second half choke of Bielema proportions.

Vantage 8 dude

As the old saying goes "Out of the mouths of babe's".....or in his case idiots.  8) :) ;)

jbcarol

James Crepea‏Verified account @JamesCrepea

Can Auburn prevent bad LSU loss from affecting game with Arkansas?
http://bit.ly/2gm7kVq

QuoteAuburn has seen how one gut-wrenching loss can lead to another.

The 2014 loss to Texas A&M, when Auburn's furious rally was derailed by two turnovers, led to the ensuing rout at Georgia and two more losses came in the next three games.

The No. 21 Tigers (5-2, 3-1 SEC) want to prevent the loss at LSU from impacting them at Arkansas on Saturday.

"That is our biggest challenge here," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "I truly believe our players, our leadership and our coaches won't let that happen. You can tell that when we got back Sunday, they're still hurting. But (Monday) our guys, they put it behind them and they'll be ready to play.

"I really believe in this team and I believe that we'll bounce back and not only will we bounce back, but we'll have a chance to finish this thing like we wanted to when we first started the season."

Safety Stephen Roberts was a freshman during the 2014 season and saw how one bad loss could lead to another and derail what had been a promising season.

"Either you can rebuild, or you can fall apart," Roberts said...

"I can't control Gus or Auburn, all I can do is worry about our game plan and the way we execute," Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Live updates: Gus Malzahn previews Auburn's game at Arkansas on Tiger Talk

Quote- Says after LSU loss "our guys have really bounced back. Tuesday we had our best Tuesday practice. ... Very solid practice Wednesday and Thursday."

-- "You don't want a tough loss to beat you twice."

-- "We can't have any more slip-ups. Our team understands that and our coaches understand that"

-- Talking points: Tuesday practice was good, team has "bounced back," after 7 straight games Auburn can use the off week after Arkansas.

-- On offensive line injuries: "Mike Horton is still a possibility. He's practiced all week."

-- Kim asks about preparing for Arkansas freshman QB Cole Kelley: "That is a challenge when you don't know who the starting QB will be. ... (Kelley) is a big guy" at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds. "He has a very strong arm and he ran some." References a stuff [sic] arm Kelley gave an Alabama defender and still got a throw off.

Thinks Arkansas crowd will be "rocking"

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 3h3 hours ago

By the Numbers | Auburn vs. Arkansas https://trib.al/PDNKBmX

Quote1 SEC team hasn't had a run or pass that has gained at least 50 yards this season - Arkansas.

2 Victories for Arkansas in the Razorbacks' past 10 SEC home openers, with both wins coming against Auburn.

6 Passes by Auburn QB Jarrett Stidham have gained at least 50 yards this season. That's more 50-plus-yard passes than the Tigers had in the previous two seasons combined.

11 Consecutive Auburn games have featured the Tigers getting on the scoreboard first.

83 Field goals have been made by Auburn PK Daniel Carlson, tied with Alabama's Leigh Tiffin (2006-2009) for second in SEC history.

jbcarol

Kurt Voigt‏Verified account @Kurt_Voigt_AP 1m1 minute ago

Auburn had been 19 for 19 in the red zone in SEC play before that fourth-down stop by Arkansas.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 7h7 hours ago

Jarrett Stidham surprised by own runs, Arkansas' fake injury, 9-man miscue