Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We will play in a significant bowl this year.

Started by JIHawg, May 28, 2006, 09:38:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbaxfan

Just to verify that I do my homework...the bowl that was mentioned was OUTBACK..and here's the history of the Outback..

05-Fla
04-GA
03-Fla
02-Fla
01-SC
00-SC
99-GA
98-Ky
97-GA
96-Bama

Not only a history of East teams nine years running, but one of the few bowls that doesnt mind picking the same team 2 years in a row.

GuvHog

rzbaxfan, about the Outback Bowl I Agree and Always will.
The hogs went to a lesser bowl in 2002 because they were beaten badly in the SEC
Championship game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rzrbaxfan

May 29, 2006, 11:49:54 am #52 Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 04:27:26 pm by rzrbaxfan
QuoteThe hogs went to a lesser bowl in 2002 because they were beaten badly in the SEC Championship game.

Teams have been beaten soundly in the SECCG and still wound up in J1 bowls.  Only 2 excpetions, us in 02 and LSU last year.

99-Fla beat by 27..goes to Cap 1 (9 reg season wins)
00-Aub beat by 22..goes to Cap 1 (9 reg season wins)
03-Ga beat by 20...goes to Cap 1 (10 reg season wins)
01-Tenn beat by 11..goes to Cotton (10 reg season wins)
98-MSU beat by 10..goes to Cotton (8 reg season wins)
04-Tenn beat by 10..goes to Cotton (9 reg season wins)

I put the last 3 in just to show that teams at least fall to the Cotton Bowl if the Citrus bowls passes. 

Meanwhile, we lost the SECCG with 9 reg season wins and every J1 SEC bowl took teams with 7 or 8 wins.

Agreed we got whipped in Atlanta, but I think we fell to the Music City bowl because we didn't put enough a$$es in the seats in Atlanta to impress any bowl reps...but thats just an opinion. ;D

TulsaHawg

Quote from: T-Bag Hawg on May 29, 2006, 11:17:30 am
8-4=Cotton Bowl  all fans will be happy! Not me, i want to go to Fla, or New Orleans.

Why not Tempe?   Set your goals high!

jabohog

Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 29, 2006, 01:11:00 pm
8-4=Cotton Bowl  all fans will be happy! Not me, i want to go to Fla, or New Orleans.

Why not Tempe?   Set your goals high!
I thought you wanted to talk about baseball, why don't you run along to those threads and let us football guys talk about football?

TulsaHawg

Quote from: jabohog on May 29, 2006, 01:15:01 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 29, 2006, 01:11:00 pm

Why not Tempe?   Set your goals high!
I thought you wanted to talk about baseball, why don't you run along to those threads and let us football guys talk about football?

LOL Jabo!  Been talking football with my friends Feral and Pseudo quite a bit today as well.

Beautiful day here in Tulsa!  How about where you are?

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on May 29, 2006, 11:49:54 am
QuoteThe hogs went to a lesser bowl in 2002 because they were beaten badly in the SEC Championship game.

Teams have been beaten soundly in the SECCG and still wound up in J1 bowls.  Only 2 excpetions, us in 02 and LSU last year.

99-Fla beat by 27..goes to Cap 1
00-Aub beat by 22..goes to Cap 1
03-Ga beat by 20...goes to Cap 1
01-Tenn beat by 11..goes to Cotton
98-MSU beat by 10..goes to Cotton
04-Tenn beat by 10..goes to Cotton

(I put the last 3 in just to show that teams at least fall to the Cotton Bowl if the FLA bowls pass).  Agreed we got whipped in Atlanta, but I think we fell to the Music City bowl because we didn't put enough a$$es in the seats in Atlanta to impress any bowl reps...but thats just an opinion. ;D

Yeah, plus I dont think any true hog fan thought we stood a snowballs chance in that championship game....Georgia was rested and AWESOME.....Arkansas was hurt and tired.
Nobody thought we would win, and hardly anybody went.The conference would have rather seen LSU there anyway. >:(
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

GuvHog

UA will run more than they pass because RUNNING is their strength.
To start slinging the ball all over the field when you have the #1 backfield
in the SEC is the height of Stupitity!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: GUVHOG on May 29, 2006, 04:43:09 pm

Agree Guv.  When you have running machines like DMac and Felix, you play your strengths.  The difference this season will be that we will have a more effective passing attack to compliment the running game.

BTW Guv, could you share a little more bout that Lindy's projection you referred to in another post.   ABQ and I were talking about it last night, and we would both like to hear a little more.  Start a new thread on it if you want.

Thanks.

LZH

Thank You.

As for the bowl game, I really, truly, honestly think we have all the pieces in place this year to make a serious run at the SEC championship game...and win it.  My fear is that this year will not be unlike previous years when I have thought that.

All the experts will be saying that we are a year away (and maybe we are).  If we can solve the QB situation quickly, and HDN can let Gus & Co. do their thing, I think a J1 bowl is possible.  I wish we could play USC later in the year, but other than that, we should be OK.

jabohog

Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 29, 2006, 05:56:50 pm

Agree Guv.  When you have running machines like DMac and Felix, you play your strengths.  The difference this season will be that we will have a more effective passing attack to compliment the running game.

BTW Guv, could you share a little more bout that Lindy's projection you referred to in another post.   ABQ and I were talking about it last night, and we would both like to hear a little more.  Start a new thread on it if you want.

Thanks.
Gentlemen, wouldn't you agree that we need to see an increase in the yards after catch statistic? As a matter of fact, this needs to be more than the rushing yards  per game, even if we rush more than we pass.  We can run the ball. We haven't had a problem proving that the last several years. What we have had a problem proving is that we can win with this philosophy. Let's incorporate a passing attack that will keep the defense off balance and show some gain in yardage with the throws. Having the number 1 rushing team in the SEC is great unless your 4-7.

GuvHog

In order to make the running game successful, you must throw the football.
Passing will happen, But Running is the Strength of this team.

GuvHog

Don't need staff upgrades, Passing will happen this year.

jabohog

Quote from: GUVHOG on May 29, 2006, 08:24:23 pm
Oh really, and what do you base this on?

GuvHog

You Can't Run without a successful passing game.
Gus & Alex Know This.

HatfieldHog

One thing's for sure JIHawg, you are the most optimistic dude that I've seen in a long time.  I would love nothing more than for you to be right on the money, but,  yeah it's that "but" again.  Your dreaming is about 4 wins more than reality.  7-6 to 9-4 is more realistic for this team.  7-6 will probably be an underachievment, and 9-4 a little over our heads.

I still hope that you are right.     See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

jabohog

Quote from: GUVHOG on May 29, 2006, 08:31:43 pm
You Can't Run without a successful passing game.
Gus & Alex Know This.
Quote from: GUVHOG on May 29, 2006, 08:24:23 pm
So passing will happen because of staff upgrades?

jabohog

There are two things that will be the secret to success. #1) If we can put a QB on the field that can execute the offense and not get us beat with turnovers. Of coarse, turnovers will kill any team regardless of who is committing them.
#2) We have to have a run stopping, pass rushing defense. That is it in a nutshell. Those two things will get us to a great season. You can talk about Gus and his prodigies all you want, but the real secret to success is Reggie Herring and our defense. Defense is what has left us cold for so many years, but fans want to see us score. Well I do too, but if the other team can't score, we have an even better chance.

GuvHog

Upgrades are allready in place (Gus & Alex). Passing Will Happen.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: jabohog on May 29, 2006, 08:52:00 pm
There are two things that will be the secret to success. #1) If we can put a QB on the field that can execute the offense and not get us beat with turnovers. Of coarse, turnovers will kill any team regardless of who is committing them.
#2) We have to have a run stopping, pass rushing defense. That is it in a nutshell. Those two things will get us to a great season. You can talk about Gus and his prodigies all you want, but the real secret to success is Reggie Herring and our defense. Defense is what has left us cold for so many years, but fans want to see us score. Well I do too, but if the other team can't score, we have an even better chance.

Excellent point on the D Jabo!

What's that old saying?  "Defense wins championships!"

GuvHog

jabohog, WE totally Agree.
By the way, My Cousuns husbands Nickname is jabo.
You would be living in Bentonville wood you?

The Pulse

May 29, 2006, 09:02:51 pm #71 Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:04:35 pm by The Pulse
We've been rebuilding and rebuilding and rebuilding some more. Enough building already. It's winning time. My only concern would be if an injury plauge were to hit our LB's and Safety's. We are paper thin. We can't really afford to lose Butu, Fairchild, Grant, or Kelly

jabohog

Quote from: GUVHOG on May 29, 2006, 08:56:14 pm
jabohog, WE totally Agree.
By the way, My Cousuns husbands Nickname is jabo.
You would be living in Bentonville wood you?
No. I live in SW Arkansas.
Quote from: The Pulse on May 29, 2006, 09:02:51 pm
We've been rebuilding and rebuilding and rebuilding some more. Enough building already. It's winning time. My only concern would be if an injury plauge were to hit our LB's and Safety's. We are paper thin. We can't really afford to lose Butu, Fairchild, Grant, or Kelly
You are correct, any injury will leave us desperate. Pray some of these incoming freshmen can help us.