Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

progress of steven Hill

Started by hog caller, May 27, 2006, 09:52:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog caller

has anyone seen or heard how well Hill is progressing at the post position.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 27, 2006, 10:16:12 pm
Good question but this won't be determined until the the season begins.  I hate to tell you guys but you're going to have to get content with 3 or 4 points per game.  Maybe 6-7 if we're lucky.  Steven doesn't have the demeanor or the skills to be a 10-12 ppg player.  I'm not down on him or anything like that, but you're trying to make something out of him which he's not going to be.  Be happy with the shot-blocking and help he provides on defense.  Let's hope he can be more active on the offensive glass and get a few buckets like that.  Townes needs to pull his head outta his rear and play to his potential.  He and Thomas should be the ones getting the ball on the block.  Hill should be working on improving his rebounding on both ends of the floor. 
He's right

mbgrulz

Good question but this won't be determined until the the season begins.  I hate to tell you guys but you're going to have to get content with 3 or 4 points per game.  Maybe 6-7 if we're lucky.  Steven doesn't have the demeanor or the skills to be a 10-12 ppg player.  I'm not down on him or anything like that, but you're trying to make something out of him which he's not going to be.  Be happy with the shot-blocking and help he provides on defense.  Let's hope he can be more active on the offensive glass and get a few buckets like that.  Townes needs to pull his head outta his rear and play to his potential.  He and Thomas should be the ones getting the ball on the block.  Hill should be working on improving his rebounding on both ends of the floor. 
ur totally right. the pistons know ben wallace is a defender, and they accept that. we should do the same. sure, work your ass off to improve, but hill not being an offensive player is just a fact of life. hill SHOULD be able to dominate the O boards because he wont be worrying about getting in position to recieve the ball. he should get 4 to 6 ppg off of put backs. im more concerned with our offensive guys being able to defend rather than our defensive guy becoming a scorer.

Extra Point

May 28, 2006, 03:05:58 am #3 Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 03:08:32 am by Extra Point

This is classic.  Here's a poster who OPENLY chastises the b-ball program with his username and I bet he has not seen ONE workout since the season ended.  This is a prime example of another thread where I posted the Scout and Rivals pay sites have people go and watch and talk to the coaches directly.

Does Fresh realize that the BIGGEST improvement on average in a player's career comes b/n the SO and JR years?  That's a proven fact.

Fresh...if you give an opinion only (which is EXACTLY what you are doing here), type "IMO" BEFORE your post.  Otherwise, you will prove a lack of credibilty real quick.

The guy asked a question and all you had to provide was your unedacated opinion.

If you say that Hill and Townes don't always appear to give 100% on both ends, I'll agree with you there.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Extra Point on May 28, 2006, 03:05:58 am
If you say that Hill and Townes don't always appear to give 100% on both ends, I'll agree with you there.
Rrrrrrrrrrrreally?  WOW.  WAY TO GO OUT ON A LIMB THERE.

Fresh is right on with his post.

Let me give you some advice.  Don't get on here and start telling a good poster when he needs to type IMO, and that he provides an "unedacated" opinion.  We are all smart enough to realize that what we type are opinions, whether we put IMO or not.  Well, most of us.

As to your point about workouts, Hill looked "great" in workouts last year an had "greatly improved" his low-post offense.  Huh.  WORKOUTS.  Not when we GOT OUR ASS KICKED BY BUCKSMELL.

Fresh is one of the best and most objective posters when it comes to the b-ball team.  So back off a little.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

GreatScott

Quote from: Extra Point on May 28, 2006, 03:05:58 am
Fresh...if you give an opinion only (which is EXACTLY what you are doing here), type "IMO" BEFORE your post.  Otherwise, you will prove a lack of credibilty real quick.

I don't have a problem figuring out fact from opinion. I don't need a poster to say "IMO" because I can tell it is his OPINION. I bet most posters can tell fact from opinion. I could pretty easily tell that Fresh was giving his take, or opinion, and not quoting someone. Even IF HE HAD BEEN TO WORKOUTS, it would still be his opinion.

A fact vs. opinion mini-lesson.

If I say "Coach XYZ sucks" you should be able to tell that is my opinion without having to say, "IMO Coach XYZ sucks."

If I say "Steven Hill is 7-feet tall" it is a fact because I can actually do two things to prove it: one, actually measure him, or two, use a reference material such as the media guide.

I've never quite understood the need for the IMO thingies anyway.

twistitup

IMO, we should of still beat Bucknell.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Smithian

Can you imagine if Steven Hill took and made a 10 foot open jump shot and made it?

Bud Walton would come down. lol

Pignominious

Quote from: twistitup on May 28, 2006, 12:12:01 pm
IMO, we should of still beat Bucknell.

I agree.  Fresh Legs is right on.  Steven Hill cannot dominate, but he can be a good roll player in time.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

The real Hogules

"IMO" the reason our bigs weren't more effective over the past couple of years had MUCH more to do with our lack of a true PG and less to do with actual offensive skills.
It's a lot easier to score (for big men) when they are given the ball in position to do so, as opposed to getting the ball and making a move on the basket.
The addition of Ervin at PG "should" help our bigs (and that includes Steven Hill) point production to make a significant jump over last seasons.
Hill can be an offensive threat, but he's going to have to be fed the ball right under the basket, by a PG who has gotten by a defender and drawn the low post defense to him and made a good pass.
I am, however satisfied with Steven's progress as a basketball player to this point in his career.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

labb

Fact,  S.Hill has no shot or offensive moves. Fact, S. Hill is a big time shot blocker. Fact, S. Hill changes the game with his shot blocking. Opinion,,S. Hill is not a lock down defensive player in the low block. Opinion, S. Hill has to become a better rebounder for us to be a better team. Opinion, S. Hill should score at least 6 to 10 points a game simply because of  his height. Opinion,,,We are going to have a pretty good team come February of next year.

pork and mindy

I just wish he would get more aggressive on the offensive end. He is coordinated for a big guy. I wish he would find some confidence to just take it to the basket.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 28, 2006, 02:26:57 pm
Quote from: pork and mindy on May 28, 2006, 02:25:03 pm
I just wish he would get more aggressive on the offensive end. He is coordinated for a big guy. I wish he would find some confidence to just take it to the basket.

You really should consider indicating whether these are facts or opinions.

lol  thats funny.  Please ppl lets remember this is just the internet ;D thats a fact.

twistitup

IMO- S. Hill is similar, in size, to Dirk, just not quite as much the shooter.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hog caller

thanks fresh legs. but i feel the same way Pork and Mindy do . he need to control the paint and just say if you are in my way i'm going to the basket

mountainhog

i will prob. agree with your statement freshlegs, after i see hill play this coming season .  I really would like to see him become a 10 pt game scorer.

Pignominious

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 28, 2006, 10:03:48 pm
Quote from: mountainhog on May 28, 2006, 08:11:36 pm
i will prob. agree with your statement freshlegs, after i see hill play this coming season .  I really would like to see him become a 10 pt game scorer.

I would like him to be one too.  He didn't even have a dominant offensive game in high school for a guy his size in the conference he played in.  He's a defensive player and moves about as well as you'll find for a guy his size in the college game.  Just don't expect it to him.  He's fairly aggressive on the defensive end and about equally as unaggressive on the offensive end.  It's a matter of confidence and I don't look for it to get much better.  I'm not down on Steven.  Seems like a great kid and one of my favorite players on the team.  I'm just not holding my breath for double digit performances out of him.

What we really need out of Steven is 6-7 boards a game.  If he could get to that point he would almost control the post.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Sao Ming

May 28, 2006, 10:32:09 pm #17 Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:34:30 pm by Sao Ming
Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on May 28, 2006, 10:09:41 pm

I would like him to be one too.  He didn't even have a dominant offensive game in high school for a guy his size in the conference he played in.  He's a defensive player and moves about as well as you'll find for a guy his size in the college game.  Just don't expect it to him.  He's fairly aggressive on the defensive end and about equally as unaggressive on the offensive end.  It's a matter of confidence and I don't look for it to get much better.  I'm not down on Steven.  Seems like a great kid and one of my favorite players on the team.  I'm just not holding my breath for double digit performances out of him.

What we really need out of Steven is 6-7 boards a game.  If he could get to that point he would almost control the post.

IMO, anyone at 7' should not only produce more than 6-7 boards a game but be expected to get many more than that.  Take out the longer perimeter shots which produce longer carems and you are still left with the opportunity to control the lane with a wide presence, get your hands up with the intent to block and aggressively hustle for the loose ones.  IMO, if Hill doesnt get more physical in the block to produce more offensive chances his minutes will stay steady or even decline (when heath wants more speed on the floor).  I recall being at the Texas Tech game this year...Hill, I thought, did an outstanding job at standing his ground and punishing the smaller forwards of Tech.  If he could keep that intensitiy and work on his block game this summer we would all be very appreciatve I'm sure.  But again, 7 footers should produce more DEF and OFF numbers than he is producing, all things considered.

Sao Ming

Nah...I used 'I'm sure' and 'All things considered' - those are non-committal and opinion based...IMO at least!

mountainhog

Do you know how many pts he averaged in high school?  I thought it was something like 15.

Sao Ming

In all seriuosness I was just about to ask about his HS production.  I was not familiar with him pre-UA.  It seems he could have been recruited purely on size alone, which in today's fast paced SEC is not always an A+ recruit.  Defensively speaking he is or cold be a tremendous asset, but he has to produce more on the O side or his minutes turn out to be a liability.  It depends on Heath's lineup on the floor with him that is, and how well he is matching up with the opposition.

Moving on, give me a 6'10 Big O type of player today - one who leads the nation in FGM % at 70 plus like Big O did.  Get me a lightning quick gaurd, and 5 or 6 6'5 to 6'9 guys who are in great condition, athletic and willing to learn.  Great coaches teach.  Great kids are teachable and can be taught.  That's what we need.  Some kids that want to play thier asses off and are coachable.  Got to have a good coaching staff to do that tho.  Is heath that guy?  We're still trying to find that out...it's getting slightly better each year. 

stronguard

I think SH may surprise a few folks on the O end of the court this year.  STANLEY likes to run his motion offense ( that would be the half-court motion spread jack up an ugly shot as the 35 second clock expires offense ) through the high post, and SH proved last year that he was a better passer than DT.  It was what resulted in DT's lack of PT resulting in loss of confidence and then on to lack of production.  At least IMO.......don't hate me for slapping it at the end.
I am content with the fact that SH will not be a dominant scorer.  But I stop short of saying he CAN'T be a positive force on offense.  Passing and offensive rebounding position don't neccessarily take talent as much as the take practice.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Sao Ming

Damn, I wish this year was the end of a contract year for Hill and he posted those numbers again.  Isn't it strange how contract years always bring out the best in players? 

Calling All Hogs

How hard can it be for Hill to learn to shoot within 5-8 feet considering his height and considering that
millions await to reward him for learning this relatively simple skill?

Sao Ming

That's more or less the jest of my statement above...some young stud might take his job and Hill will be an afterthought, and go undrafted.  He better shape up his game.