Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Stan Heath getting a pass? There is plenty of heat applied to HDN's backside.

Started by werehog, May 25, 2006, 06:22:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

werehog

but no one seems to notice that Heath has even less accomplisments than HDN. I say Stan must get it done this year or else! How say y'all?

mikeirwin

I say Heath has accomplished more lately.
I don't care that was done seven years ago. That's ancient history.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: werehog on May 25, 2006, 06:22:21 pm
but no one seems to notice that Heath has even less accomplisments than HDN. I say Stan must get it done this year or else! How say y'all?

His W -vs- L record has steadily improved each season and the recruiting is much improved also. (IMO)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PorkSoda

I thought the hoop hogs had a good season last year.  yeah they got upset by miss st and ole miss, but they bounced back beat florida, the Nat'l Champs in Fayetteville right after that.  He has done better than HDN concidering he actually had a winning record in the SEC (10-6).  As long as Heath can develop the young players he has brought in, and our veteran forwards keep improving, I see no reason we won't make it in the big dance next year, and continue to do well in the SEC.  WPS!
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ammohog

Heath has shown consistent improvement, inked one hell of a recruiting class for next year,(14th overall on Scout), and made his first NCAA's at Arkansas. Let's give him a year or two with this new talent before he's compared to Nutt.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

SupaCrawf

How much paint did you eat as a child?  Just curious.
I do agree that Heath doesn't have much room for backsliding, but he has not really given me any reason to think he will not improve.  This recruiting class wasn't only good, it fit the needs of this team.  Honestly, I'd take a #40 class over a #10 class if it fills the needs better.  Finally, Heath has most of the positions covered, and has some guys he's brought on and developed ready to step up and be dominant (Charles Thomas, anyone?).  Barring a complete disaster next year, we'll be back in the NCAAT, and probably playing as a better seed than last time.
I'm kind of a big deal.

GrizzledHogFan

Heath has only been a disappointment, not a colossal failure like Nutt.  He's at least been improving.  Nutt's been heading the opposite direction.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

VoR

but no one seems to notice that Heath has even less accomplishments than HDN. I say Stan must get it done this year or else! How say y'all?

Are you 1 of those Japanese soldiers they just found on a deserted Polynesian Islands left over from WWII, now granted SH has done nothing to set the world on fire, but he has been over .500 each of the last 2 years and has improved.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hogman64

The Hogs go to the independence bowl in 2003...........Yes the INDEPENDENCE BOWL.....In 2004 they dont go to a bowl.........The summer of  2005 Dale says......'The players just really have a bad taste in their mouth and are working harder than they ever have to get back to a bowl game".........That was my tipoff , this isnt the guy we hired that was talking about National Championships.........It now takes not going to a sorry a** bowl game to get our team to work hard in the off season.........Now that is really having your sights set high.......Its called............. guys lets just be sure to do good enough to keep my check coming in...FIRE NUTT.........

PigDaddyKane

I think they are both on a warm seat this year.  Heath has to get us deeper in the tourney and Nutt needs to win at least eight games.  I think all passes expired after last year.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

llhog

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on May 25, 2006, 07:55:34 pm
I think they are both on a warm seat this year.  Heath has to get us deeper in the tourney and Nutt needs to win at least eight games.  I think all passes expired after last year.

The powers that be could give Stan Heath a lifetime "free pass" if they fire HDN and hire a proven winner like Butch Davis.  BTW I don't think Heath is very good coach either.  Fire HDN!!!

pignatious

If anyone has bothered to actually watch the games that Heath has coached, and has seen basketball played at Arkansas under Sutton and Richardson (when he gave a damn), they would see that Heath is not the caliber of coach this University deserves. History is important in a program, and if the coach can't live up to it and produce results that are on par with that history, then we need to get another coach. I am not happy with Heath because I go to the games and see the lack of coaching ability on display, just as I go to the football games and see the same thing. If a fan can see the deficiencies that obviously in both sports, and know there are different plays and sets and fundamental teaching that would improve things and give us a better chance at winning, then there is a problem.

I don't understand why some fans and others have such short memories when it comes to basketball. We were a national power, winning conference titles and competing for national titles. Now we are a perenniel bubble team at best. That should not be good enough. Why don't some fans demand better in both sports? I hate settling for mediocrity. If Nolan wasn't still sucking money out of the U of A, and Nutt wasn't getting his ridiculous salary, I have to believe Heath would be gone.
Freedom is never free.

reddierazorback

Stan has improved each year.  He lead the team to a 10-6 SEC record and an NCAA Tourney Birth.  He took over a program that was in complete shambles and he has worked hard to get us back to respectable.  He is a class act and is getting better as a coach each year and he should not be on the hot seat at all. 
Go HOGS!

nwarazfan

No more passes for Stan.  I've supported and defended him while he's been here.  The cowardly play in the NCAAT ended that.  His program must gain a positive identity and continue improvement.

nwarazfan

Quote from: pignatious on May 25, 2006, 09:40:32 pm
If anyone has bothered to actually watch the games that Heath has coached, and has seen basketball played at Arkansas under Sutton and Richardson (when he gave a damn), they would see that Heath is not the caliber of coach this University deserves. History is important in a program, and if the coach can't live up to it and produce results that are on par with that history, then we need to get another coach. I am not happy with Heath because I go to the games and see the lack of coaching ability on display, just as I go to the football games and see the same thing. If a fan can see the deficiencies that obviously in both sports, and know there are different plays and sets and fundamental teaching that would improve things and give us a better chance at winning, then there is a problem.

I don't understand why some fans and others have such short memories when it comes to basketball. We were a national power, winning conference titles and competing for national titles. Now we are a perenniel bubble team at best. That should not be good enough. Why don't some fans demand better in both sports? I hate settling for mediocrity. If Nolan wasn't still sucking money out of the U of A, and Nutt wasn't getting his ridiculous salary, I have to believe Heath would be gone.

If Nowin wouldn't have sat on his a** and left us in such sorry shape, then we wouldn't have been so far down when Heath took over.  Sure, ten years ago we were a natl power.  Nolan stopped working and overrated Coach A couldn't hold it together.  Nowin should have been canned in 2000 but White butted in.  The program kept going downhill for 2 more years.  Short memories? More like convenient memories where everybody forgets what Nowin allowed happen to our once proud program he helped build.

pignatious

Quote from: reddierazorback on May 25, 2006, 09:42:07 pm
Stan has improved each year.  He lead the team to a 10-6 SEC record and an NCAA Tourney Birth.  He took over a program that was in complete shambles and he has worked hard to get us back to respectable.  He is a class act and is getting better as a coach each year and he should not be on the hot seat at all. 

Yeah, that was quite an NCAA tournament alright. Beaten by Bucknell in Dallas. With Dontell Jefferson getting lots of PT, and McCurdy on the bench. With no press until 6 minutes left in the game against a team we were much quicker than. Yeah, great coaching there. They got hot at the end of the year and won some good games with an uptempo style, then he plays at Bucknell's pace and loses. Brilliant!

Nobody really improved last year except for Modica, and that was because Heath's prize recruit left because he felt like a pro. Where is the player development? I don't see it on a consistent basis. Heath is a middle of the road coach at a school with baskeball tradition. Arkansas deserves better. He won't be fired because the U of A has decided that just going to the tournament and just going to a bowl game every few years is sufficient. 
Freedom is never free.

nwarazfan

The UA has not decided that getting to the tourney is sufficient.  He'll be gone soon with another season like last one.  But they first realized what the hell Nowin did to the program.  Secondly, they've kept NumbNutts after 2 losing so they couldn't fire Heath.

pignatious

If Nowin wouldn't have sat on his a** and left us in such sorry shape, then we wouldn't have been so far down when Heath took over.  Sure, ten years ago we were a natl power.  Nolan stopped working and overrated Coach A couldn't hold it together.  Nowin should have been canned in 2000 but White butted in.  The program kept going downhill for 2 more years.  Short memories? More like convenient memories where everybody forgets what Nowin allowed happen to our once proud program he helped build.
[/quote]

I agree with you. Broyles should have fired Nolan a lot sooner than he did. He gave up and was actually trying to lose at times, it appeared to me.
They waited around until Nolan blew up, and then hired Stan. They did what they had to do. It isn't working out. Now move on and get a well respected coach that wants to coach at a program with tradition and a great fan base. Like I said it won't happen right away, but there are better coaches out there if the U of A had any desire to return to a top program.
Freedom is never free.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: pignatious on May 25, 2006, 09:59:57 pm

I agree with you. Broyles should have fired Nolan a lot sooner than he did. He gave up and was actually trying to lose at times, it appeared to me.
They waited around until Nolan blew up, and then hired Stan. They did what they had to do. It isn't working out. Now move on and get a well respected coach that wants to coach at a program with tradition and a great fan base. Like I said it won't happen right away, but there are better coaches out there if the U of A had any desire to return to a top program.
[/quote]

Broyles was ready to fire Nolan in 2000 but John White cut him out of the negociations giving him(Nolan) a seven year deal and Broyles was taken out of the evaluation process.  White or Sugg had to notify Nolan in writing for his contract not to be rolled over.  White is the reason we have Nutt and not Tuberville.  White is the reason we had to pay Nolan seven years instead of two, White is the reason we have Garner instead of Blair.  He has cost us too much.  We need him to become Stanford's President or Vandy's.

hawgwilde

Stan gets another pass for this year.  Thanks to the racist, no one had a chance to get the program turned around quickly.  Stan has shown marked improvement each year.  Was I disappointed we lost to Bucknell?  Sure, especially since it was my first time to go watch the Hogs in the NCAAT.  He'll have the Hogs better this year.  Maybe with Taliafero and Thompson gone, he might be able to get some caliber assistants like Hipsher in there.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

pignatious

Quote from: NEAHAWG on May 25, 2006, 10:17:01 pm
Quote from: pignatious on May 25, 2006, 09:59:57 pm

Broyles was ready to fire Nolan in 2000 but John White cut him out of the negociations giving him(Nolan) a seven year deal and Broyles was taken out of the evaluation process.  White or Sugg had to notify Nolan in writing for his contract not to be rolled over.  White is the reason we have Nutt and not Tuberville.  White is the reason we had to pay Nolan seven years instead of two, White is the reason we have Garner instead of Blair.  He has cost us too much.  We need him to become Stanford's President or Vandy's.
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned, White, Broyles, Nutt and Heath all need to go. We need a fresh start.
Freedom is never free.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: slumpbuster on May 25, 2006, 10:37:08 pm
I agree totally.  I don't see how Heath gets a free pass and Houston has to catch so much grief.

And another double standard is this hero worship of John McDonnell.  I mean yeah, he used to produce some good team but seriously, what has the guy accomplished lately?  His cross country team wasn't worth a damn this year and embarrassed us Hog fans by not winning a national championship, his indoor team only won the NCAA by 8 pts, and it's doubtful his outdoor team can win.  That's only 1 damn championship this year.

And besides the man talks funny.  Yet he gets a free pass and Houston catches all kinds of hell with just a couple of losing records. 

I tell ya it's not fair.
Oh yeah, you're right, and DVH's team lost some games where they had leads.  Hire that guy, we're barely top 20 material, which is better than we expected going into the season, but hey, screw him, we should win every game by at least double the other team's score. 
;)
I'm kind of a big deal.

reddierazorback

Quote from: pignatious on May 25, 2006, 09:52:00 pm

Yeah, that was quite an NCAA tournament alright. Beaten by Bucknell in Dallas. With Dontell Jefferson getting lots of PT, and McCurdy on the bench. With no press until 6 minutes left in the game against a team we were much quicker than. Yeah, great coaching there. They got hot at the end of the year and won some good games with an uptempo style, then he plays at Bucknell's pace and loses. Brilliant!

Nobody really improved last year except for Modica, and that was because Heath's prize recruit left because he felt like a pro. Where is the player development? I don't see it on a consistent basis. Heath is a middle of the road coach at a school with baskeball tradition. Arkansas deserves better. He won't be fired because the U of A has decided that just going to the tournament and just going to a bowl game every few years is sufficient. 

Your wrong.  You are unable to look at things objectively.  You did not look at the whole picture of where we started with Heath to where we are today.  No, I was not impressed with losing to Bucknell, but I am not going to base the whole season on losing to Bucknell anymore than I would base our season on the huge victory against Florida.  However, I will state improvement based on a 10-6 record in what we found out to be the toughest basketball conference in the nation.  So take a moment to look at the whole picture.   
Go HOGS!

reddierazorback

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 25, 2006, 09:56:23 pm
With no press until 6 minutes left in the game against a team we were much quicker than.

You know why they didn't press much?  Because Heath wanted them to have FRESH LEGS!!

He apparently knew how to coach against Florida, the national champs!
Go HOGS!

Smithian

Although I was wanting to run on to the court to attack heath, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering we have improved every year.

What made me madder than I have ever been at an Arkansas non-football game is the refs allowing the 10 second rule to not be enforced. Then when the Sucknell players slapped around Hill and Ferguson(?) and left them both down at separate times on the court near the end of the game, if I were Heath either the other player of I wouldbe T'd up. Heat needs to fight for his team.

pignatious

Quote from: reddierazorback on May 26, 2006, 09:13:23 pm

Your wrong.  You are unable to look at things objectively.  You did not look at the whole picture of where we started with Heath to where we are today.  No, I was not impressed with losing to Bucknell, but I am not going to base the whole season on losing to Bucknell anymore than I would base our season on the huge victory against Florida.  However, I will state improvement based on a 10-6 record in what we found out to be the toughest basketball conference in the nation.  So take a moment to look at the whole picture.  

I am basing my opinion on actually watching the games. Fundamentals is obviously not a strong suit with Heath, because they can't box out and rebound well, can't shoot free throws consistently, have never been able to set effective screens, have little to no motion on offense, etc. They won 10 games and lost 6 in conference. A fairly nice accomplishment and record in a tough conference. Then the momentum completely died and they reverted to the same old style that they lost with earlier, using a guy named Jefferson that for some reason Heath thought could be an SEC player. Stupid decision. Conserving his players for another game in the tournament when getting beat and not pressing earlier in the Bucknell game was a stupid decision. Not a bad decision, a stupid decision. Not recruiting a shooter who had a shot at making it to school was a bad decision. Why should we be forced to put up with a guy who has to learn on the job, and may not actually be learning all that much. This program deserves better.

Remember, Heath was on the verge of being out the door (supposedly) before the Hogs went on the winning streak. They did that by playing a style that Heath does not want to play, namely fast break up tempo with defensive pressure. He would rather play his Big 10 style, or whatever it is supposed to be. He is just not the best coach for the Hogs. He needs to have cut his teeth at a mid-major before taking on the big leagues. His teams are not mentally or physically tough.
Freedom is never free.

LZH

Heath, like Nutt, is a mid-major coach who has learned on the job in the SEC.  He's a great guy, but if they fall below 20 wins next year, what says Frank?

Recruits well, but the jury is still out on his game management.  I like him, so I hope he continues to improve.

HoustonDaleNutt

Seriously, Heath aint got nothing on me.

I will show ya i promise this season.

pook

what about Heath's amazing road record? that probably compares to Nutts bowl record.

hoggystyle78

I'll be the first to admit, that rebuilding the BB program has gone much slower than i would've liked, but at least Stan has made positive strides no matter how small. nutt can't stay out of his own way long enough to make improvements. I'll never be able to understand how some people can get on here and defend that clown, he's done nothing to deserve it, unless you count making our FB program a national laughingstock. Arkansas FB will recover, but not until we 'cut the nutt'.

ballhog™

They are both on the hot seat and have to produce this year.  Stan needs to win a NCAA tourney game...Nutt needs to win 8+
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

werehog

I don't think many people outside the sunshine pumpers believe Stan Heath is doing a good job. Even with a cream puff schedule the Hogs struggle mightly. This should be a year of decision.

dana caldwell

four seasons at a basketball school ...

three losing records
one chicken out of nit (bc heath cowed to boss)
one embarrassing loss to a team from the patriot league (not even big-time enough to be called a conference), a team that averaged 15.9 turnovers in said league that the hogs did not press until it was too late.

hideous road record and tourney showings.

no shooters. no PG. no harmony. no passion on sideline or practices. no respect from players (as of two years ago, can't see why that would've changed). no clue as to game strategy, timeout useage, inbounds plays, substitutions, who should play where, last-seconds shots.

bad staff. player regression rather than progression.

wasted recruits and offers (lamptey, al jefferson, hargrow). plays favorites (dontell jefferson, famufreakingtimi).

no identity or trademark bc there's no particular style. no motion. no emotion.

enough is enough. arkansas should not only expect better, but demand it.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: dana caldwell on May 27, 2006, 12:13:53 pm
four seasons at a basketball school ...

three losing records
one chicken out of nit (bc heath cowed to boss)
one embarrassing loss to a team from the patriot league (not even big-time enough to be called a conference), a team that averaged 15.9 turnovers in said league that the hogs did not press until it was too late.

hideous road record and tourney showings.

no shooters. no PG. no harmony. no passion on sideline or practices. no respect from players (as of two years ago, can't see why that would've changed). no clue as to game strategy, timeout useage, inbounds plays, substitutions, who should play where, last-seconds shots.

bad staff. player regression rather than progression.

wasted recruits and offers (lamptey, al jefferson, hargrow). plays favorites (dontell jefferson, famufreakingtimi).

enough is enough. arkansas should not only expect better, but demand it.

That sums it up very well.  No wonder you are a writer!  +1 for a nice post.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

dana caldwell

ballhog™

That's it.  At least with Nolan you knew we were going to come at you for 40 minutes.  That was his identity.  Heath came in preaching fundamentals...defense and rebounding.  I don't think others would say we are strong in those departments.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Pignominious

Quote from: dana caldwell on May 27, 2006, 12:22:13 pm
thanx, guys. it's about time to get out and enjoy this weekend!

It is way to hot.  That is all I gotta say.  I get to go life guard for 4 hours out in the 93 degree heat, woopoie!
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

reddierazorback

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 26, 2006, 11:17:20 pm
Quote from: reddierazorback on May 26, 2006, 09:15:13 pm
With no press until 6 minutes left in the game against a team we were much quicker than.

You know why they didn't press much?  Because Heath wanted them to have FRESH LEGS!!

Where in this thread have I mentioned Florida?  Just one reference would be good for starters.

Would the season have been okay if we would have won 10 games and beat Florida?  After all they were the National Champs.  Is the season a success because we won a big game during the REGULAR season and lost in the POST-season to BUCKNELL?

Florida also beat us on a neutral floor.  So I guess Heath knew how to coach one game against Florida and the other game he didn't know how to coach?  According to you, if you win you know how to coach.  I'd say in the NCAA tournament Heath didn't know how to coach.  Is that the type of coach you want here at Arkansas?

How many points did we score against Florida?  I'm glad you brought up the point that he could coach against Florida.  We scored 73 points in regulation against Florida while only scoring 55 against Bucknell.  So is it a positive that we got outscored by a bunch of non-athletic kids from the Patriot League?  Sounds like a bad gameplan and uninspired performance if you ask me.  After all, as you correctly pointed out, he apparently knew how to coach against Florida.   Yet when we got to NCAA Tournament time, he was outcoached by a guy from the Patriot League.  Calipari wasn't outcoached by this guy.  You can't tell me Bucknell had better talent than we did.  If that's the case, Heath should be fired tomorrow.  So which was it?  Coaching deficiency or talent deficiency?

Get back to me on this.

I will get back to you.  It is very simple.  I am not prepared to say Coach Heath can not coach based on a loss to Bucknell.  I thought I made it clear that I was looking at the whole season and his whole career.  He came in to a program that was a pathetic as one gets.  There was very little talent and NR departure added a mess for SH to take over.  I have seen significant improvement each year under SH.  As you remember this program did not fall apart over night and it will not be rebuilt over night.  But I am not prepared, like you to judge Heath on the Bucknell game.  The Bucknell loss could be creditied to several things.  One is SH is a fairly new coach in a high pressure tourney.  Second the HOGS had not been to the tourney in several years (added pressure). Third your fresh legs theory.  SH could have been coaching not only for the first game but also the second.  Maybe he was trying to keep his players fresh for the next game, and yes he made a poor coaching decision.  But, I did make the florida win as a point.  that was not the only game they one as you tried to argue.  They won 10 of 16 in the besto conference in the nation.  So I will not try to impress you to support SH.  It is obvious you can not get past one loss.  I see a different future for Basketball.  I believe that SH is the man for the job, and I believe we are fortunate to have him.  So I got back with you and I hope this sheds some light on my opinion.  I think SH has made mistakes, but I do not believe we have ever had nor will ever have a coach that does not make mistakes.   
Go HOGS!

reddierazorback

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 28, 2006, 09:58:15 pm
Quote from: reddierazorback on May 28, 2006, 08:52:41 pm
Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 26, 2006, 11:17:20 pm
Quote from: reddierazorback on May 26, 2006, 09:15:13 pm

Where in this thread have I mentioned Florida?  Just one reference would be good for starters.

Would the season have been okay if we would have won 10 games and beat Florida?  After all they were the National Champs.  Is the season a success because we won a big game during the REGULAR season and lost in the POST-season to BUCKNELL?

Florida also beat us on a neutral floor.  So I guess Heath knew how to coach one game against Florida and the other game he didn't know how to coach?  According to you, if you win you know how to coach.  I'd say in the NCAA tournament Heath didn't know how to coach.  Is that the type of coach you want here at Arkansas?

How many points did we score against Florida?  I'm glad you brought up the point that he could coach against Florida.  We scored 73 points in regulation against Florida while only scoring 55 against Bucknell.  So is it a positive that we got outscored by a bunch of non-athletic kids from the Patriot League?  Sounds like a bad gameplan and uninspired performance if you ask me.  After all, as you correctly pointed out, he apparently knew how to coach against Florida.   Yet when we got to NCAA Tournament time, he was outcoached by a guy from the Patriot League.  Calipari wasn't outcoached by this guy.  You can't tell me Bucknell had better talent than we did.  If that's the case, Heath should be fired tomorrow.  So which was it?  Coaching deficiency or talent deficiency?

Get back to me on this.

I will get back to you.  It is very simple.  I am not prepared to say Coach Heath can not coach based on a loss to Bucknell.  I thought I made it clear that I was looking at the whole season and his whole career.  He came in to a program that was a pathetic as one gets.  There was very little talent and NR departure added a mess for SH to take over.  I have seen significant improvement each year under SH.  As you remember this program did not fall apart over night and it will not be rebuilt over night.  But I am not prepared, like you to judge Heath on the Bucknell game.  The Bucknell loss could be creditied to several things.  One is SH is a fairly new coach in a high pressure tourney.  Second the HOGS had not been to the tourney in several years (added pressure). Third your fresh legs theory.  SH could have been coaching not only for the first game but also the second.  Maybe he was trying to keep his players fresh for the next game, and yes he made a poor coaching decision.  But, I did make the florida win as a point.  that was not the only game they one as you tried to argue.  They won 10 of 16 in the besto conference in the nation.  So I will not try to impress you to support SH.  It is obvious you can not get past one loss.  I see a different future for Basketball.  I believe that SH is the man for the job, and I believe we are fortunate to have him.  So I got back with you and I hope this sheds some light on my opinion.  I think SH has made mistakes, but I do not believe we have ever had nor will ever have a coach that does not make mistakes.  

You have some unanswered questions remaining from my earlier reply.  I have not judged Heath on one game.  We have been discussing the Bucknell and Florida game but I have a whole list of things to base my opinion of Heath on:
-Pathetic Road Record in SEC (5 wins in 4 years?...I'm not far off)
-1 1st round exit in the NCAAT (irregardless of who we played)
He should have made the tournament the last two years
-Poor assistants for the most part (same problem as Dale)
-Lack of emotion (If he won't do it, why wasn't a Hipsher type coach hired when he started?)
-Hasn't recruited a PURE shooter (it remains to be seen the results of the class just signed)
-Hasn't recruited a TRUE PG who can play in this league
-Plays favorites (Famutimi, Jefferson)
-Playing Dontell Jefferson.  Period.

For the record, there are some things I like in Stan:
-He carries himself well
-He has protected the home court well for the most part
-He got Brewer here and I don't believe Nolan would have
-He's had some recruits that have flopped, but I give him credit for going after Famutimi.  I think the kid wasn't the same after the knee.  He seemed like a timid guy as it was.
-Stan seems to hit the recruiting trail hard (the negative is I don't believe he has signed players in key positions-similar to Dale)

Can I pose a question then?  Do you honestly think that there was a coach that was a candidate for this job when NR left that would have done better or gotten Arkansas further along than SH has? 

Go HOGS!

werehog

Hell, Yes! UA had developed the reputation as a basketball school. We have an excellent plant and an avid fan base. There doesn't to be either the morbid fear of groundless law suit being filed by Nolan Richardson as exist of Hawgs Illustrated or the fawning admiration that several of the posters still have for NR even though he did every thing he could to drag into a slime pit the University that gave him on opportunity to play on a national stage. However, there seems to be a myth on this board that Stan is best coach we could get. I don't believe it. We can get a good coach at a reasonable price. Ben Howland and Stan Heath make about the same amount of dough -- which one would you rather have.

Bacon The Saddle Again

I believe this will be the first year Stan has where every kid wearing a Razorback jersey is a kid recruited under the Heath regime.  So to me, this is the tell-tell year for him.  If we get back to the NCAA's and compete for the SEC West, I'll have faith that we got the right guy.  Keeping home court will be an interesting test for him next year.  Kentucky and Tennessee are both coming to Bud Walton.  Yippee!

reddierazorback

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on May 29, 2006, 11:34:41 am
I believe this will be the first year Stan has where every kid wearing a Razorback jersey is a kid recruited under the Heath regime.  So to me, this is the tell-tell year for him.  If we get back to the NCAA's and compete for the SEC West, I'll have faith that we got the right guy.  Keeping home court will be an interesting test for him next year.  Kentucky and Tennessee are both coming to Bud Walton.  Yippee!

Good Point and I think you are 100% accurate.

RR
Go HOGS!