Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burks

Started by #1 STUNNA, January 09, 2018, 02:37:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg1221

If I were to divide the state into equal recruiting zones as far as average yearly talent, there would be 3 zones. Northwest Arkansas (which would include Ft Smith), Little Rock Area, and the rest of the state.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 09, 2018, 06:32:29 pm
smith was the best high school player i had seen in person until Burks came along. Smiths senior season might be the best in Arkansas high school history.
You're showing your age. Shabazz & it's not even close. He still got the 200 meter state record and he wasn't even on the track team. He played baseball during the spring  and went to track meets when he could. He played safety for the Zebras during the regular season and Glover would put him at RB during the playoffs. If you saw his performance against an undefeated Texarkana you would agree. But I will not take anything away from Warren they produce an incredible amount of D1 talent.
I love off season Football!!

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on January 17, 2018, 03:23:20 pm
You're showing your age. Shabazz & it's not even close. He still got the 200 meter state record and he wasn't even on the track team. He played baseball during the spring  and went to track meets when he could. He played safety for the Zebras during the regular season and Glover would put him at RB during the playoffs. If you saw his performance against an undefeated Texarkana you would agree. But I will not take anything away from Warren they produce an incredible amount of D1 talent.

once again. I was not around during that time. And smiths senior season was a rare one. Not sure anyone has done what he did that season. And I have heard many many people mention Burks state championship performance being just as good as Shabazz. No clue if he is as good as shabazz but the kid is all state in 3 sports also. hes no slouch..lol

IronHog

Nothing against Burks.  Once a generation Elite player

But 1990 Shabazz replaces him vs Arkadelphia and Warren scores every possession....usually on one play.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

#1 STUNNA

I don't doubt he was the best. But nobody is saying Burks is better.. lol.. all i said was Smith was the best i had seen in person until I have seen Burks over the past 3 years. It's crazy to think Burks still has another season. Seems like she's been dominating high school football for 10 years.

liljo

Quote from: IronHog on January 17, 2018, 05:31:55 pm

But 1990 Shabazz replaces him vs Arkadelphia and Warren scores every possession....usually on one play.

What a great follow up story. Thank you, I wondered what became of Basil. That is a wonderful story. And yes, without question, he was unbelievable in high school. Explosive, power, speed, balance, and vision.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

247Hog

Thanks for posting the video. I was to young to appreciate Shabazz skills. His playing is extremely impressive but the man it appears he has become, is the most impressive of all. I'd take anyone with a good head on their shoulders over a Johnny Manziel with a Heisman Trophy.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

FATHAWG08

Thanks IronHog for sharing.

I love off season Football!!

LA Football fan

Quote from: 247Hog on January 17, 2018, 08:26:22 pm
Thanks for posting the video. I was to young to appreciate Shabazz skills. His playing is extremely impressive but the man it appears he has become, is the most impressive of all. I'd take anyone with a good head on their shoulders over a Johnny Manziel with a Heisman Trophy.

I believe Burks scored on ONE play two times in the championship game and the second play one time, also against a defense that  was highly thought of before the  game began.  He had 4 tds in the game and if not for a great tackle by a defender, he would of had #5 and the game winner.  Burks also did this as a JUNIOR vs Shabazz's performance as a senior.  Burks also had a major impact on the  game with 18 tackles from the lb position with an interception.  You will have to look LONG and HARD to find a player that  had that much of an impact on a game from BOTH sides of the ball in a state championship game.

IronHog

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 17, 2018, 09:10:05 pm
I believe Burks scored on ONE play two times in the championship game and the second play one time, also against a defense that  was highly thought of before the  game began.  He had 4 tds in the game and if not for a great tackle by a defender, he would of had #5 and the game winner.  Burks also did this as a JUNIOR vs Shabazz's performance as a senior.  Burks also had a major impact on the  game with 18 tackles from the lb position with an interception.  You will have to look LONG and HARD to find a player that  had that much of an impact on a game from BOTH sides of the ball in a state championship game.

You get a Shabazz mention in your recruiting thread you are pretty dang good.

Potential Olympian, loved by Nolan Richardson, drafted by MLB, and the major reason Arkansas didn't transition well to the SEC......still a message board topic 25 years later.  And a cautionary tale for any young man.

ThisTeetsTaken

I'd take Shabazz over McFadden if we were drafting Arkansas High School running backs. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Peter Porker

January 17, 2018, 10:16:12 pm #161 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:57:35 am by Peter Porker
Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 17, 2018, 06:16:31 pm
I don't doubt he was the best. But nobody is saying Burks is better.. lol.. all i said was Smith was the best i had seen in person until I have seen Burks over the past 3 years. It's crazy to think Burks still has another season. Seems like she's been dominating high school football for 10 years.

Shabazz averaged 7 yards a carry and scored 29 TDs as a senior. Some folks take his whole athletic body of work and apply it to football.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

January 17, 2018, 10:17:13 pm #162 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:57:20 am by Peter Porker
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 17, 2018, 10:00:04 pm
I'd take Shabazz over McFadden if we were drafting Arkansas High School running backs.

I'd take McFadden, Madre, Hillis, Dixon, etc over Shabazz. Senior season Shabazz averaged 7 yards a carry and scored 29TDs.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Ugly Uncle

Y'all must be forgetting about Derek Russell from Little Rock Central.  I think he still holds the record for the 200m hurdles.  Great wide receiver in the NFL.  You have to talk about him when discussing great WR from Arkansas.
Retired Radio Host

zebradynasty

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 17, 2018, 10:17:13 pm
I'd take McFadden, Madre, Hillis, Dixon, etc over Shabazz. Senior season Shabazz averaged 7 yards a carry and scored 19 TDs.

Decisions like that would get you job on Brett Bielima's coaching staff! LOL! Shabazz didn't have a lot carries his senior year. I mean in a era of run dominated offense he rarely had 20 carries in a game. In any case you would miss out on a athlete that ran 10.3 100 meters, 20.8 200 meters, long jumped over 24 feet, high jumped 6'-9" and ran anchor leg on the state record 400 meter relay team. Those are number similar to what Bo Jackson did in high school! He did all this despite never really working out. Football, Basketball, Baseball or Track had he concentrated on just one, any one, of those sports he would have been a professional in that sport.

Since 1990...simply put... the state of Arkansas has not produced an athlete the quality of Basil Shabazz period and it's not even close!

redeye

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 17, 2018, 10:16:12 pm
Shabazz averaged 7 yards a carry and scored 19 TDs as a senior. Some folks take his whole athletic body of work and apply it to football.

Tom Lemming once used a spreadsheet to keep notes on players.  Somehow, his spreadsheet was leaked on the internet, some time ago, and I noticed that he didn't have Shabazz rated as highly as most here would.

Personally, I never saw him play, but the hype around Shabazz was unlike anything I've seen, before or since.  I'm not talking about message board hype, but hype from the media that watched him play.  Every Friday night sports report was highlighted by what the Great Shabazz did that evening.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 17, 2018, 11:24:41 pm
Decisions like that would get you job on Brett Bielima's coaching staff! LOL! Shabazz didn't have a lot carries his senior year. I mean in a era of run dominated offense he rarely had 20 carries in a game. In any case you would miss out on a athlete that ran 10.3 100 meters, 20.8 200 meters, long jumped over 24 feet, high jumped 6'-9" and ran anchor leg on the state record 400 meter relay team. Those are number similar to what Bo Jackson did in high school! He did all this despite never really working out. Football, Basketball, Baseball or Track had he concentrated on just one, any one, of those sports he would have been a professional in that sport.

Since 1990...simply put... the state of Arkansas has not produced an athlete the quality of Basil Shabazz period and it's not even close!
Burks is the best since Basil.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

zebradynasty

Quote from: redeye on January 17, 2018, 11:40:16 pm
Tom Lemming once used a spreadsheet to keep notes on players.  Somehow, his spreadsheet was leaked on the internet, some time ago, and I noticed that he didn't have Shabazz rated as highly as most here would.

Personally, I never saw him play, but the hype around Shabazz was unlike anything I've seen, before or since.  I'm not talking about message board hype, but hype from the media that watched him play.  Every Friday night sports report was highlighted by what the Great Shabazz did that evening.

Well his offer list was like few if any kids from Arkansas had. Not sure how an athlete that was 1991 National High School Athlete of the Year award winner was not rated that high. No other Arkansan has won the award since.

The reason for the hype nobody did what he did. True Shabazz story...for some reason he was late getting to the meet of champs his senior year. Kids were lining up adjusting their blocks for the 200 meters when he entered the stadium. They tell him he's about to miss his heat, he runs across football field wearing tennis shoes and a warm up. Puts on his spikes, gets some blocks (not sure he even adjusted them) gun sounds he runs the fastest 200 meters in Arkansas history for high school 20.8! I got at least 3 more stories like that!

#1 STUNNA

Nobody is doubting the greatness of Shabazz. I just don't think some people realize how elite Burks is. Not sure the last time we have had an athlete that could play at the D1 level at abt 5 different positions.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 17, 2018, 11:15:32 pm
Y'all must be forgetting about Derek Russell from Little Rock Central.  I think he still holds the record for the 200m hurdles.  Great wide receiver in the NFL.  You have to talk about him when discussing great WR from Arkansas.

110h. There's no 200h.

Peter Porker

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 17, 2018, 11:24:41 pm

He was a great track athlete. I'm not denying that, but we are talking football.
1700 yards rushing. 7 yards a carry. 29 TDs. That's pedestrian. All while getting about 17 carries a game.

Peter Porker

Quote from: redeye on January 17, 2018, 11:40:16 pm

Here's what made Shabazz so hyped: he was a tremendous athlete. Blazing fast on the track and could run and jump. Good size too. He had a decent senior year, but the state championship game is what made him a legend.

zebradynasty

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 18, 2018, 06:11:58 am
Nobody is doubting the greatness of Shabazz. I just don't think some people realize how elite Burks is. Not sure the last time we have had an athlete that could play at the D1 level at abt 5 different positions.

Burks is amazing because of his size. Arkansas just doesn't produce athletes with his size, speed and quickness. In my opinion that's what separates him from the other great players from Warren.

AugustaHog

Burks would be lethal in this offense.  I hope he comes to Arkansas and wins a couple Biletnikoff Awards and is instrumental in getting the program back on track.  We've lost a few good players out of state in recent years, but I think losing him would be the toughest of all.  RBs like Dyer and Tenpenny(RIP) are easy to find.  KJ Hill and Josh Frazier were good ballplayers, but Treylon is a freak athlete on a whole other level.  He is a game changer and we need to have the full court press on him.  He has to be a Hog.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 18, 2018, 07:54:30 am
He was a great track athlete. I'm not denying that, but we are talking football.
1700 yards rushing. 7 yards a carry. 29 TDs. That's pedestrian. All while getting about 17 carries a game.

That's because the offense was never centered entirely around him! Shabazz gets a lot of the hype for 1990 Championship team (rightly so) but he was far from being the only player that PB had. Hard to compare teams and players from different era's but in the 1980's and 1990's good defense wasn't to hold a team to 3-4 Td's like to today. Shabazz did this against the largest schools in the state at the time. So while the stats aren't eye popping any coach in country could see that had nothing to do with lack of ability. All the top football programs in south/nation visited him and wanted him.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 18, 2018, 08:23:21 am
Burks would be lethal in this offense.  I hope he comes to Arkansas and wins a couple Biletnikoff Awards and is instrumental in getting the program back on track.  We've lost a few good players out of state in recent years, but I think losing him would be the toughest of all.  RBs like Dyer and Tenpenny(RIP) are easy to find.  KJ Hill and Josh Frazier were good ballplayers, but Treylon is a freak athlete on a whole other level.  He is a game changer and we need to have the full court press on him.  He has to be a Hog.
yeah, man, im with you on this.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 18, 2018, 08:07:07 am
Burks is amazing because of his size. Arkansas just doesn't produce athletes with his size, speed and quickness. In my opinion that's what separates him from the other great players from Warren.

Wait til he gets ina college weight room

Peter Porker

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 18, 2018, 08:26:47 am
That's because the offense was never centered entirely around him! Shabazz gets a lot of the hype for 1990 Championship team (rightly so) but he was far from being the only player that PB had. Hard to compare teams and players from different era's but in the 1980's and 1990's good defense wasn't to hold a team to 3-4 Td's like to today. Shabazz did this against the largest schools in the state at the time. So while the stats aren't eye popping any coach in country could see that had nothing to do with lack of ability. All the top football programs in south/nation visited him and wanted him.

And he was recruited as a DB. He made USA Today All-American team as a DB.

The question is at runningback correct? We've had better in the state.

#1 STUNNA

Chad Morris and offensive staff will be in Warren tonight.

IronHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 18, 2018, 08:44:17 am
And he was recruited as a DB. He made USA Today All-American team as a DB.

The question is at runningback correct? We've had better in the state.

What are you talking about?

Shabazz was the most explosive player with the ball in his hands ever in Arkansas.  Starting RB from his 10th grade year on.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 08:58:01 am

Shabazz was the most explosive player with the ball in his hands ever in Arkansas.  Starting RB from his 10th grade year on.
he was a starting safety and part time running back, actually.

But, yes, best Ive ever seen. Burks and McFadden are the other two who are in his league. Both of which were/are bad ass safeties in their own right.

#1 STUNNA

Burks season this year was incredible although they fell short in the championship game. His title game performance was absolutely nuts.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 18, 2018, 08:48:20 am
Chad Morris and offensive staff will be in Warren tonight.

Lunney, Craddock, and Stepp will be there.

IronHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 18, 2018, 07:54:30 am

Wishbone offense.  Played some both ways.

If he'd dotted the I full time the stats woulda been better but no reason for that

Peter Porker

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 08:58:01 am

7 yards a carry.

311Hog

Shabazz is legend you can't unseat a legend if even Burks maybe better.

There are a hand full of guys that fit this bill honestly.

Almost all are One word names to.

Madre, Shabazz, Burks, McFadden etc.

I always felt like Burks was an offensive guy like the others mentioned but IMHO Burks difference after seeing him play against my badgers was his skill as a defender and special teams player. Truly a sight to be hold watching that kid play.

Derek Russell is such a great guy btw i am glad he got a mention my room mate in college was best friends with Derek i met him and hung out with him often.

IronHog

#1 STUNNA

most impressive Burks stat... He scored a TD about every 4 touches his junior season.

IronHog

He'd also go Barry Sanders and lose yardage some plays

311Hog

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 09:40:12 am
He'd also go Barry Sanders and lose yardage some plays

i still loved Barry like no other player.  Still my all time favorite RB in the pro's pure excitement every time he touched it.

#1 STUNNA

Still think this was his most impressive play of state title game.. if he doesn't make this play... it's a punt returned for a TD... he manhandles those two blockers and destroys the ball carrier. https://twitter.com/86joeski/status/939578778363326464

311Hog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 18, 2018, 09:44:14 am
Still think this was his most impressive play of state title game.. if he doesn't make this play... it's a punt returned for a TD... he manhandles those two blockers and destroys the ball carrier. https://twitter.com/86joeski/status/939578778363326464

this is what i am talking about.  Usually kids this skilled are protected or only play on one side of the ball i remember thinking this when is saw a few clips of Dmac how he could have been this dominant in all phases but he wasn't "over used" Madre only played RB etc.

I wonder if Burks will wear 13 for the Hogs? i can't wait to cheer for him =)

i still think Stunna and AP85 should get Burks to graduate early and enroll now come on guys make it happen !

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on January 18, 2018, 10:05:25 am
this is what i am talking about.  Usually kids this skilled are protected or only play on one side of the ball i remember thinking this when is saw a few clips of Dmac how he could have been this dominant in all phases but he wasn't "over used" Madre only played RB etc.

i still think Stunna and AP85 should get Burks to graduate early and enroll now come on guys make it happen !

its crazy but hes been ready to play D1 football for a while now.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on January 18, 2018, 10:05:25 am

Hes got a state title to win next year also..lol

311Hog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 18, 2018, 10:09:19 am
  Hes got a state title to win next year also..lol

naw Warren will be fine without him take one for the team !=)

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on January 18, 2018, 10:14:02 am

naw Warren will be fine without him take one for the team !=)

lets just hope hes a hog.. I think we have a 50% chance

311Hog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 18, 2018, 10:16:28 am
lets just hope hes a hog.. I think we have a 50% chance

that is a low number you gotta get that number up some. and agreed.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on January 18, 2018, 10:17:44 am
that is a low number you gotta get that number up some. and agreed.

I think it will be arkansas or LSU... saw on FB the other day where his mother said she loves LSU.

311Hog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 18, 2018, 10:21:57 am
I think it will be arkansas or LSU... saw on FB the other day where his mother said she loves LSU.

Hopefully Morris will come out guns blazing and really impress this season.  in someways Burks having another year could be good for our chances.  Give him a look at our future. (a future he needs to be in).  those corndogs are crazy down there !you don't wanna go down there =)

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on January 18, 2018, 10:24:51 am
Hopefully Morris will come out guns blazing and really impress this season.  in someways Burks having another year could be good for our chances.  Give him a look at our future. (a future he needs to be in).  those corndogs are crazy down there !you don't wanna go down there =)

Our biggest recruiters need to be Wright, Childs, and Gragg... and Morris needs to show Burks what Courtland Sutton did in his offense and show him the money he is about to make playing this game!