Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Herbert

Started by draftkings33, October 12, 2017, 01:34:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGINTENNESSEE

I don't think Herbert is the problem.

IMO it's coaching. We don't play physical and I think it's because CBB likes to limit  contact in practice

Jimbob111

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 12, 2017, 03:29:54 pm
That's interesting. I too think bench is a somewhat overrated lift but I had no idea this was the mindset of our strength coach.

As a pure chest developer, yes, however there is a reason, if done with proper technique, it is an excellent compound lift which recruits arms, shoulders, chest, abs, legs, and has helper muscles in the lats depending on the angle of the bench. Unless body building is the goal, bench press is fine (especially alternative flat and incline presses).

I hear the "bench press sucks" argument and that can be true, other lifts isolate and better develop the pecs but as an overall lift, it incorporates more muscles except probably deadlift. You can work almost every muscle with bench, pull ups, and dead lift.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Sidvicious

Herb should have been fired after the USCe game.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 15, 2017, 08:41:42 am
As a pure chest developer, yes, however there is a reason, if done with proper technique, it is an excellent compound lift which recruits arms, shoulders, chest, abs, legs, and has helper muscles in the lats depending on the angle of the bench. Unless body building is the goal, bench press is fine (especially alternative flat and incline presses).

I hear the "bench press sucks" argument and that can be true, other lifts isolate and better develop the pecs but as an overall lift, it incorporates more muscles except probably deadlift. You can work almost every muscle with bench, pull ups, and dead lift.
It's not that it sucks; it's simply one method that can be used to improve athletic performance. 

All too often, people and coaches get hung up on measurables without considering whether making a specific athlete stronger (or bigger, faster, etc) will actually improve their performance.  E.g., if a guy benches 500, is it worth it to stress getting him to 600 despite the greatly increased requirements of training specificity and higher risk of injury OR are there other things we could focus time and energy on that would make him a better football player (technique, agility, flexibility, etc)

I compare it to a contractor. It doesn't make sense to use a hammer when you need a screwdriver but to the man with only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. :D
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

HawgsPolo

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 13, 2017, 07:16:16 am
You just need to shut up. We have to hate everybody on the staff.

Lmao
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

RedRazorHog

Quote from: snoblind on October 12, 2017, 03:58:28 pm
$300,000/year.

Players whipped on the line of scrimmage, team collapses in 2nd half, outran by basically everyone.

I'd say he has earned being a scapegoat.  Sure as hell isn't earning his salary.
Amen
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne