Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Elko Era at A&M

Started by jbcarol, November 27, 2023, 08:21:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

KBTX: Mike Elko returns to Aggieland

QuoteBRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) - Around 2:00 a.m. Monday morning, Mike Elko landed at Easterwood airport with Bjork.

A&M's former defensive coordinator and Duke's head coach will now be the 30th head football coach for the Aggies.

Bjork did not care to comment at the airport given the time of day, but a formal introduction and press conference will take place Monday afternoon.

Elko's arrival was very different than former coach Jimbo's. Elko returned quietly to an empty tarmac at 2:00 in the morning with no official announcement. Fisher arrived back in December of 2017 with fanfare, the Aggie band, and a Maroon carpet.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

O'Gara: I've always believed in Mike Elko, and that'll continue after A&M's search ended with him

QuoteFor the past 6 1/2 years, I found myself believing in Mike Elko.

That started with a conversation on the sideline at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. On an afternoon in which there were big-time assistants there from coast-to-coast — then-Georgia offensive line coach Sam Pittman, then-Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard and then-Penn State receivers coach Josh Gattis were some of the few — Elko was the first coach there.

At the time, Elko wasn't a household name and I admittedly didn't recognize him. He had just taken the Notre Dame defensive coordinator job a few months earlier, and like those other assistants, Elko was there to recruit the hotbed of talent that was IMG. He struck up a conversation with myself and a fellow reporter. It wasn't anything earth-shattering, but I came away feeling like he knew exactly what he was doing and that he was destined to run his own program one day.

(He even set that fellow reporter straight when he suggested to Elko that IMG's bevy of talent was being plucked by the SEC ... Elko strongly disagreed and made it known.)

Fast forward to Elko's first stint at Texas A&M when he was Jimbo Fisher's defensive coordinator. I banged the drum for him that his defenses were more dominant than they got credit for, especially in 2021 when A&M only got to an 8-4 record because of Elko's No. 3 scoring defense.

Fast forward to Elko's first head coaching gig when he got to Duke after 13 years as an FBS defensive coordinator. I had him on the Saturday Down South Podcast when he was still living out of a hotel and the only directions he knew in Durham were how to get from there to the Duke football offices. It was clear then that he had a plan to take a bottom-feeder Power 5 program and turn it around in a hurry. That was before he went 16-9 in 2 seasons at Duke while A&M stumbled to a 13-11 record without him.

"Do the best you can at the place that you're at and good opportunities will come to you," Elko said that day.

Fast forward to Sunday...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Mike Elko officially named Texas A&M coach
Andrew Peters | 4 minutes ago

QuoteMike Elko has officially been named Texas A&M's head coach.

After a crazy weekend, that involved a complicated exchange with Mark Stoops, the Aggies announced that Elko is officially the head coach. The news was first reported Sunday afternoon and made official Monday morning.

"Coach Mike Elko is one of the best leaders and coaches in college football and has had high-level success at each stop of his career," Bjork said. "He is known amongst coaching circles as one of the best defensive minds in the country and has shown his ability to lead and turn around a program as a Power 5 head coach."

Salty spork

Looking forward to finding out what they paid.

jbcarol

FOIA: Mike Elko base salary, assistant pool and incentives at A&M finally revealed
Ethan Stone | 2 minutes ago

QuoteElko will make a base salary of $7 million yearly with an $11 million assistant pool.

He will also receive incentives:

$100K to reach SEC Championship
$1 million for reaching the CFP
$1.5 million to reach CFP quarterfinals and/or win the SEC Title
$2 million to advance to CFP semifinals
$2.5 million to reach CFP title game
$3 million to win CFP national title

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bjork explains Mike Elko's contract being College Football Playoff incentivized

Griffin McVeigh

QuoteWhenever discussing A&M potentially firing Jimbo, the first thing brought up was his contract — 10-year, $95 million deal that was fully guaranteed with a $77 million buyout. Eventually, Bjork pulled the trigger and decided to move on. Saying the Aggies were stuck in neutral, somebody new was needed to take a step forward.

Despite Mark Stoops reportedly being the guy for a few hours, A&M eventually landed on Duke head coach Mike Elko. His contract, which was revealed during a Monday press conference, will look a whole lot different when compared to Fisher's. A base salary of $7 million will occur every year but Bjork made up the rest with incentives when it comes to the College Football Playoff.

"I think with the CFP expanding to 12 teams and given where we are, given our resources, given the commitment to football — that if we have the right coach and the right plan that we should be in the hunt every year for those playoff spots," Bjork said. "That's how we looked at it. We know there's got to be a base salary. But then the rest of it is based off making and earning your way through the CFP."

jbcarol

Elko explains offensive philosophy, details plans for first weeks on the job
Ethan Stone |

QuoteElko noted that he's not really interested in the buzz words on how to run a offense. He just wants his offense to be able to read and attack a defense

"You have to be very multiple and very adaptable with what you do on offense," Elko said. "I think people get caught up in these words like they mean everything: 'We've gotta be spread, we've gotta be pro-style,' but we've got to be a group that knows how to attack defenses, get the ball in our playmakers hands and allow them to be successful."

Elko also noted what his first few weeks on the job will look like. He wants to get a feel for each players' story to form a coherent plan for the future while making sure they are going to be locked in.

No buzz words allowed for the offense yet only buzz words for his job.

ChicoHog

He's getting 11 M for assistants.  that's a huge amount!  if the OC and DC make about 1.5 each or even 2M each that means there is still 7 M left for 8 assistants?  Huge budget!  I think the Aggies have a money printing machine in the basement. 

jbcarol

Mike Elko shares his plans for offense at A&M

By Dan Morrison

Quote"For everybody that's the million dollar question and what I tell people is this, we're going to find a way to play explosive offense," Mike Elko said. "We're going to be part of the modern era. We're going to be able to switch up tempos, we're going to be able to utilize our personnel. I think in this day and age you've got to be able to be very multiple and very adaptable in what you do on offense.

"I think people get caught up in these words like they mean everything, like, oh, we got to be spread or we got to be pro-style. And at the end of the day, we've got to be a group that knows how to attack defenses, get the ball in our playmakers hands and allow them to be successful."

For the last two seasons at Duke, Kevin Johns has been Mike Elko's offensive coordinator.

Elko opens up on how difficult leaving Duke

jbcarol

Elko claims to reveal what's been missing at A&M to finally win a title
Daniel Peterson |

QuoteMike Elko discussed what he believes can turn Texas A&M into a championship winning football program.

Wednesday, new Texas A&M head coach Mike Elko went on The Paul Finebaum Show:

"I just think it comes down to we've got to put it all together," Elko said. "For whatever reason, the pieces have been in place but the puzzle's never been assembled and I think leadership can help that, I think we've got to do a really good job of laying a clear-cut path to where we want to go and then we've got to develop a culture in this locker room that wants to work together to get there.

"Sometimes people want these big, elaborate, long answers, but it really doesn't come down to much," Elko said. "Culture wins and talented culture wins championships and that's been tried and true over the course of college football, and that's what we've got to get done here and we've got to find a way to get that done as fast as possible because the 12th Man is starving for that SEC championship and the national championship."

jbcarol

TexAgs@TexAgs

"He's very confident and intelligent, and you can tell he know what he wants to do with the program."

@AshtonFunk2024 is excited for the future of A&M football under @CoachMikeElko:

jbcarol

TexAgs
@TexAgs
Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy on Texas A&M: "I know they're a very talented team. Our players are looking forward to the challenge."
2:51 PM · Dec 4, 2023
·

Will Elko coach the team :hmmm:

jbcarol

Report: Texas A&M offers offensive coordinator job to Kansas State's Collin Klein

By Andrew Graham

QuoteA&M head coach Mike Elko has reportedly zeroed in on a top candidate for his offensive coordinator opening, offering the job to Kansas State OC Collin Klein, according to KHOU's Matt Musil.

Klein reportedly turned down the Penn State offensive coordinator opening last week. He played quarterback at Kansas State from 2008-12.

Klein has been on the Kansas State staff since 2017 and has been the offensive coordinator the past two seasons.

Hogwild

A&M offered to make LSU's OC(can't spell it) the highest paid OC in the nation, he declined the offer.

jbcarol

Nothing comes between A&M and their Klein.

jbcarol

Mike Elko shares what makes Kyle Field a unique atmosphere

By Barkley Truax

QuoteMike Elko is going to have to wait an entire offseason to take in the atmosphere inside Kyle Field — something he hasn't been able to experience since the end of Texas A&M's 2021 season.

He's certainly looking forward to taking the field in front of the 12th Man next season and took a second to reminisce on past experiences inside the stadium and what he's looking forward to when opening the season on Aug. 31 against Notre Dame.

"Playing inside Kyle Field is one of the most unique atmospheres in the country," Elko said during his introductory press conference. "And when that place gets rocking, there's nothing like it. And what makes it even more unique is it's rocking every single Saturday. You saw that this year. Regardless of the record and how things are going, the 12th Man shows up and they show up and support.

"So when you have that, that makes it really special. And then I got a chance to talk a lot about it. But the community here is really unique. And the way they welcomed my family the last time we were here, my wife, my kids, they all have a lot of connections in this community that we've stayed close with even in the two years that we were away. And so in a lot of ways, it feels like you're coming home. It really does."

Before becoming head coach at Duke, Elko was on hand for some of the most raucous atmospheres during the Jimbo Fisher era. From 2018-2021, Elko was the defensive coordinator for the Aggies' most successful stint under Fisher which included two eight-win seasons, and two nine-win seasons including one year that saw Texas A&M finish No. 5 in the final College Football Playoff rankings.

Apparently several of the players are not sharing the feeling.

jbcarol

Mike Elko finally reveals what he looks for in recruits

By Grant Grubbs

QuoteMike Elko put out a casting call. The role? Aggie.

"I don't know that there's necessarily a profile," Elko said. "I think there are some intangibles that go into it. Got to find kids who love football. You have got to find kids who love the hard parts of the game of football. I think that's a huge piece of it nowadays, who is willing to really put in the work to become great."

"We've got to find kids that are capable of being first-round draft picks that three years later are first-round draft picks, right? And that's the unique part of recruiting in this modern era."

Elko inherited quite the recruiting class. Texas A&M currently boasts the No. 15 recruiting class in the 2024 cycle. The group is highlighted by Terry Bussey and DL Dom McKinley.

He reeled in the No. 60 recruiting class in the 2023 cycle for Duke. The class also ranked 10th in the ACC. Elko will have far more resources.

Mike Elko looks to capitalize on new environment
"As much as talent plays an enormous role, and we're going to go out and identify the most talented players at their position across the country, I also think there's a level of intangibles that goes into what allows those great talented players to become extremely successful in the college level.

"The first thing is just an accountability to this program," Elko said. "We have to be about Texas A&M. We can't be about, you know, what I want to do to get a higher draft status. We can't be about what I want to do to get a better NIL deal. We have to be about what I can do to make Texas A&M great."

jbcarol

Collin Klein officially announced as next OC at A&M
Grant Bricker |

QuoteCollin Klein and Texas A&M made things official on Thursday, with the former Kansas State offensive coordinator set to have the same role with the Aggies.

Mike Elko has one less assistant position to fill now that Klein is on board. Klein will be taking over for former OC Bobby Petrino. The Wildcats finished 5th in the Big 12 in terms of offensive yards per game this year (446.1).

jbcarol

Elko adds veteran SEC assistant to Texas A&M staff, per report
Andrew Olson | 5 minutes ago

QuoteMike Elko is reportedly adding one of the SEC's most experienced defensive assistants to his Texas A&M staff. According to Billy Liucci of TexAgs, Wesley McGriff is headed to College Station.

McGriff has more than 3 decades of coaching experience and knows the SEC well. He heads to Texas A&M after his third stint at Auburn (2016, 2019-21, 2023). McGriff's other stops include Kentucky (2001-02), Vanderbilt (2011), Ole Miss (2012, 2016-18) and Florida (2022).

McGriff specializes in coaching defensive backs. He has also served in a coordinator role at Ole Miss, Auburn and Louisville.

Hugh Freeze hired McGriff as cornerbacks coach for his first Auburn staff. In late October, however, McGriff moved to an off-field role, changing his title to Chief of Accountability and In-House Recruiting.

jbcarol

Greg McElroy takes the temperature

Mike Elko's expectations at A&M

Keith Farner | 8 minutes ago

QuoteMcElroy is familiar with Mike Elko and watched him from Elko's time earlier at Texas A&M and Notre Dame, so McElroy is confident he has a good beat on who Elko is as a coach.

But can Elko win consistently at Texas A&M?

"I'm very optimistic about it," McElroy said, and added that Elko is meticulous with details and the defense is run as a "thoughtful scheme." "Everything they try to take away is for a specific reason."

Perhaps as important, McElroy suggests, is Elko understands the landscape in College Station. The Aggies have resources, including NIL, and are located 90 minutes from Houston, a few hours from Dallas and in McElroy's mind, should be appealing to attract qualities pieces.

"Because at A&M, much of it is about playing the game and making sure everybody's all in," he said. "And making sure everybody's buying into what it is you're putting forth.

"Mike Elko is in a really good position, but I also think at the same time, the expectation level is not what it was when Jimbo was there, which is a good thing for Texas A&M," he said.

jbcarol

Bjork finally apologizes to Mike Elko

Ohio State president comments on Jimbo's contract

Keith Farner |

QuoteBjork was the athletics director who gave Jimbo a contract extension, and Fisher's buyout late last year drew national headlines because it was for $75 million.

At Bjork's introductory press conference, the question was raised about how it came to be

"As you can imagine, I pressed that question pretty hard," Ohio State President Ted Carter said. "I had a lot of questions about that. I'll just say right up front that Ross has owned it, as has the institution, remember these things just don't happen in a vacuum, even though he is the athletics director, he wasn't the original hiring authority. Yes, he did give an extension, that happens a lot. I experienced that myself at Nebraska, so I understand that."

Carter then said as a lifelong sailor, a "calm sea never produced a good sailor."

"So those that have been in the arena, those who have had to make those tough decisions, those that have been in it, they learn from that," Carter said. "Those are life lessons, and he'll bring that here. I don't expect we're going to get into any decisions like that here at Ohio State."

Carter said any decision like that would be between the Board of Trustees and him so that it would work collaboratively.

Bjork sent a message to his A&M friends and colleagues, "especially Mike Elko," who was hired by Bjork late last year.

"I get it, the timing in all of this is not good," Bjork said. "What we just went through and more leadership turnover at Texas A&M, it's not ideal. I fully understand the impact. Our family loves our time in Aggieland, and we have special bonds that will last a lifetime."

Similar message to Ole Miss friends and associates "especially Matt Luke", "the timing's not good what with the leadership turnover and what all's gone down at Ole Miss. I fully understand..."

and got the heck outta Dodge.

jbcarol

Mike Elko reportedly adding Mountain West assistant to Texas A&M staff
Derek Peterson | 4 minutes ago

QuoteMike Elko is adding San Diego State safeties coach Kyle Hoke to his staff at Texas A&M as a defensive analyst, according to a report from FootballScoop's John Brice.

The Hoke name should be a familiar one.

jbcarol

Jaylen Henderson shares early impressions of Mike Elko, Collin Klein

by:
Nick Schultz

QuoteNow back in College Station for his second season at Texas A&M after transferring from Fresno State, Jaylen Henderson now has to learn a new system. Collin Klein is now in as offensive coordinator under new head coach Mike Elko, and the learning process has begun:

Henderson made five appearances last year under Fisher and former offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino, but suffered a fractured humerus in the bowl game and underwent surgery after the season.

With spring practice looming, the new staff is off to a good start.

"It's been a great transition with the coaching staff," Henderson said on TexAgs Radio. "It's exactly what we needed in the program. The first week of training right now, you can tell this is what a championship program's supposed to look like. So we're all excited with the training and everything. On offense, the stuff that I looked at, it looks pretty impressive. We're just all excited to get ready to go in the spring."

Jaylen Henderson on recovery from injury: 'I can throw right now'

Blue-Chip

Much better Backup than Max Johnson.   

jbcarol

Report: Texas A&M hiring Kansas co-defensive coordinator Jordan Peterson as safeties coach

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteA&M is set to make another staff hire under new coach Mike Elko, with Elko reportedly set to tap Kansas co-defensive coordinator Jordan Peterson as his new safeties coach.

TexAgs' Billy Liucci first reported the anticipated hire.

Peterson has some natural ties to the program after playing defensive back for Texas A&M

jbcarol

Mike Elko adds former Texas A&M defender to staff as DB coach, co-DC
Andrew Olson | 1 hour ago

QuoteElko has filled out his Texas A&M coaching staff by bringing Jordan Peterson back to Aggieland. Texas A&M announced Monday that Peterson will be the Aggies' defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator.

It was reported on Dec. 31 that Wesley McGriff would be making the move from Auburn to Texas A&M. By Jan. 12, however, it was reported that McGriff had changed his mind.

jbcarol

First and 10: There's still 1 big thing college football needs to borrow from the NFL
Matt Hayes |

Quote"Where we sit now, we feel really good about where this roster is. We were able to go out and add a lot of value. We feel as though we have a team that can now go to work to become what we believe we are capable of becoming."

--Mike Elko

tophawg19

Quote from: jbcarol on November 27, 2023, 04:32:38 pmFOIA: Mike Elko base salary, assistant pool and incentives at A&M finally revealed
Ethan Stone | 2 minutes ago

our assistant budget is 6.5 million .It's going to be hard to keep any assistant that they want. Their pool cleaning guys probably make as much as some of our assistants at that rate.

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jbcarol

Betting Stuff: Beamer Ball, Aggie optimism, and my favorite SEC win totals in 2024
Derek Peterson |

QuoteA&M — Over 8.5 (+114 at FanDuel)
Duke outperformed its preseason win total in each of Mike Elko's 2 seasons with the program. In 2022, the Blue Devils were one of the biggest surprises in the sport, surging to 8 regular-season wins, a Military Bowl victory, and the program's best overall season in a decade. Over the last 3 years, only 2 Power programs overachieved more than Duke. And, during that same time, only 1 Power program failed more to match preseason expectations than the team Elko is now in charge of.

On the surface, 8.5 feels like a big number for the Aggies. Jimbo's tenure ended in spectacular fashion, but the team he left behind is a good one.

A&M is 18th nationally in returning production.

jbcarol

First and 10: Why Brady Cook, Mizzou could be the SEC's biggest Playoff surprise
Matt Hayes |

QuoteA&M lost 3 critical full- or part-time starters from the defensive line from the transfer portal — Walter Nolen, LT Overton, Fadil Diggs — but quietly added one of our top edge rushers in the portal.

Cashius Howell, who had 7 sacks in his last 6 games at Bowling Green — and 9.5 for the season — is the perfect fit for new coach Mike Elko's multiple front defense. Howell and Purdue transfer Nic Scourton (10 sacks in 2023) give the Aggies and edge rusher and an anchor end with pass rush skills.

The staff believes Howell will have the same impact at Texas A&M that Josaiah Stewart...

jbcarol

Adam Rittenberg
@ESPNRittenberg
Texas A&M coach Mike Elko has issued a statement on the situation involving Blaise Taylor, who was arrested on a double murder charge Thursday. Taylor had joined Texas A&M's staff as an analyst earlier this month. His father Trooper Taylor is a Texas A&M assistant coach.

Blue-Chip

March 16, 2024, 11:15:41 am #33 Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:20:44 am by Blue-Chip
Quote from: jbcarol on March 11, 2024, 09:51:31 amA&M lost 3 critical full- or part-time starters from the defensive line from the transfer portal — Walter Nolen, LT Overton, Fadil Diggs — but quietly added two of the top edge rushers in the portal.
Elko has quietly gone about doing a 180 overhaul of Jumbo's Mess. He's put together a strong staff, highlighted by Collin Klein, Holmon Wiggins, Tommy Moffitt, and Derek Miller. I think we're going to miss Jumbo's "do less with more" coaching.

Blue-Chip

Elko taking it to next level...   Dude done gone and invited everyone, who's ever been an Aggie Football Player, back for Pro Day - TO PARTICIPATE! Kellen Mond back from the Pro's, Chapman who transferred to Oregon, some player who transferred to Georgia Tech, Nebraska, etc..  8 players from last year.  Instead of saying "don't let the door hit you in the azz" when they transfer, he's sending a message "once an Aggie, always an Aggie".  Great PR for Recruiting and getting A&M Pro Day publicity.  Reckon other schools will be on top of this next year? This would be idea for the Razorbacks.

jbcarol

Elko explains how A&M educates players on sports gambling issues

by:
Dan Morrison

QuoteElko recently explained how the program and school work to educate athletes on issues relating to sports gambling.

This comes amid several sports gambling scandals in sports

NBA is investigating Jontay Porter over apparent gambling irregularities. This also comes just a year after student-athletes at Iowa and Iowa State got wrapped up in a gambling scandal.

"We've always tried to educate young men on decisions and choices and those kinds of things, and gambling has always been a piece of it." Mike Elko said. "Not so much just because of the illegality of it within NCAA rules and regulations, but just trying to educate them on the pitfalls of it, how it could take you down some dark roads, force you into having to make some really poor decisions in life, and just all of the bad things that come along with gambling in general and then sports gambling, specifically."

Elko connected this back to NIL issues. Players have more money at a younger age, which they need to be educated about. That includes being aware of issues around sports gambling.

"Then I think recently, it's probably tried to, it's even enhanced a little bit as NIL has come into this thing. I think one of the things that we really try to do a good job of is just education to these young men about some of the pitfalls of having money at a young age. It usually started with the 21, 22-year-olds when they got that first contract in the NFL of, okay, here's some of the things, whether it's people coming and try to get you into investment deals and how you sort through all of that or signing contracts and this company is taking 10 percent or this company is taking 8 percent and trying to protect it."

However, it's now legal to bet on sports online in more than half of all U.S. states. That makes it much easier to lose money and to make a mistake as an athlete.

"Then gambling was always a piece of that. I think that conversations and those conversations have now accelerated because we've got 17-year-old freshmen coming in, making NIL deals that are putting them in positions where all of this stuff is a greater risk for them," Elko said.

"I think that's, if you're doing the program the right way in developing these young men and helping them grow, gambling, along with some other things, are now a huge piece of the education process of how to keep yourself protected and do the right things in life."

The NCAA is looking to make changes in sports gambling...

Blue-Chip

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 26, 2024, 09:25:45 amI think we know who is bringing in the drugs from Mexico and Columbia. It's the Aggie Cartel
There is a Documentary called "American Made", which films drug trafficking from Columbia to Mena.
Hunter Yurachek needs to look into this.  Aggies are flush without that kind of money.