Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK fans are quickly adjusting

Started by Pudgepork, April 15, 2024, 09:45:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ukchingy

Quote from: codeHog on April 17, 2024, 09:01:06 amThe positive fans will be excited

The negative fans will be down

Same everywhere

Exactly, and the negative fans seem to be more on message boards and Twitter. There are some good ones out there though, I was happy to find this board as you guys are way more level headed for the most part.

hawg4life2202

Quote from: ukchingy on April 17, 2024, 08:42:25 amI'm reserving judgement on Pope for now. Its really weird, maybe I will type something up and post it later after work when I have more time but the atmosphere here now is different than I have ever felt before. I'll be 53 this year so I've seen a lot and it just feels different. We knew when it came time to switch coaches the first few years after Cal would be tough, with the way he recruits and focuses on freshman he was going to leave us without a team. We knew that and expected to have to rebuild and that it would take time. Now with NIL and the transfer portal, it might not take as long but it could still take a bit. Pope is looking not for the best ranked players, but the players that fit what he does the best. So there might be more 4 star type players with a certain skill set. I know a lot of fans are excited, I can explain better if I type up something after work. The thing is this though, out of all the coaches to try to bring here there were 3 tiers. The top tier where we had to ask coaches to come here, but they were all guys we knew would probably not come. But they are too good not to ask. Those were Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Hurley, Drew. The second tier were guys that were good coaches but we knew would never even be talked to because they had things in their past. With Kentucky's shady past of playing players back in the day and breaking the rules, the administration now has people in place to monitor things and they take ZERO chances. So anyone with any major NCAA rule breaking was out, this included Pearl which a lot of fans would have preferred.

So that leaves you with all the rest which nobody really was a sexy hire. So you had to look at who had the things that the fans wanted, and when you put that group together Pope was in that group and as a former player he was just the right fit. Everyone here is super excited, which I know sounds weird but its not just because he's a former player. That helps but there is so much more to it. I will try to remember to type something up later after work to explain.

Arkansas fans have seen this in recent history with Mike Anderson. A Coach "coming home" after having success elsewhere, ton of fan excitement and great memories of golden eras for their teams. Their teams play an exciting brand of basketball, and the Coaches are genuinely good human beings. Hell I think they are even the same age when they got their job. Mike had a lot more success at his previous stops and it just didn't work out here for a variety of reasons. I hope it works out because the UK-Arkansas rivalry is a great rivalry but color us skeptical when this had to be the 7th-8th choice for Kentucky.

Smithian

I'm waiting to taunt Kentucky fans until I see some more fleshed out rosters for both schools.

ukchingy

Quote from: Smithian on April 17, 2024, 09:32:25 amI'm waiting to taunt Kentucky fans until I see some more fleshed out rosters for both schools.

Yeah, might want to wait until the teams actually play one another and you see how they are doing. I heard it reported somewhere that there was only one 5 star recruit playing in the final four this year. Cal has had lots of 5 star players at Kentucky and wasn't getting the results you would think. So these player rankings aren't what they used to be, times have changed with that transfer portal.

MikePiazza

Quote from: 1dog on April 16, 2024, 07:35:24 pmThat Kentucky guy that John Nabors interviewed this afternoon was unhinged, and he's in the media.

That was a bit and he's playing a part. And Barstool is entertainment, not media. They're media whenever it benefits them but whenever they bite off more than they can chew, they throw media/journalism to the wind.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hogman 2012

Quote from: ukchingy on April 17, 2024, 09:37:30 amYeah, might want to wait until the teams actually play one another and you see how they are doing. I heard it reported somewhere that there was only one 5 star recruit playing in the final four this year. Cal has had lots of 5 star players at Kentucky and wasn't getting the results you would think. So these player rankings aren't what they used to be, times have changed with that transfer portal.

5 star recruit = 18 year old kid coming into a new environment, learning a new system, probably not a high basketball IQ but talented.

3 star recruit playing his 3rd year= 20 year old young man, had time to develop his mind, body, game, and basketball IQ.

007 License To Squeal

Matt Jones of KYsports blocked me on X....LOL!!!!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hog Hog

ukchingy

Quote from: Hogman 2012 on April 17, 2024, 10:17:56 am5 star recruit = 18 year old kid coming into a new environment, learning a new system, probably not a high basketball IQ but talented.

3 star recruit playing his 3rd year= 20 year old young man, had time to develop his mind, body, game, and basketball IQ.

Exactly this, I think you need a good mix of the two to really be successful. Hurley had an interview where he said his strategy and that sounded like the perfect mix to me. The thing with Cal is he has always said, he will take talent over everything else and roll the dice.

donnie

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on April 17, 2024, 10:18:14 amMatt Jones of KYsports blocked me on X....LOL!!!!!

That guy is beyond annoying. Constant sunshine pumper spin.

Hog Hog

Quote from: ukchingy on April 17, 2024, 10:30:33 amExactly this, I think you need a good mix of the two to really be successful. Hurley had an interview where he said his strategy and that sounded like the perfect mix to me. The thing with Cal is he has always said, he will take talent over everything else and roll the dice.

I think he's started to adjust some.  We'll see.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hog Hog on April 17, 2024, 10:26:57 amHaha.  What did you do??
I replied to one of his posts using this image:
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

donnie

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on April 17, 2024, 10:34:59 amI replied to one of his posts using this image:

Then 24 hours later had switched up to how amazing a hire it was lmao

I don't think Pope is a bad coach, but it really is Chad Morris esque the heel turn.

Hog Hog

MikePiazza

Yeah one of his other cronies blocked me as well for saying the same thing. It was really hilarious the about-face the entire UK media did. The night the hire was announced, they were like 'there's no way, everyone is really shocked this is happening, I can't believe this is the hire, what is Barnhart doing.'

Then as soon as they realized this was the best they were going to end up with and Barnhart basically told them to eat it and like it, they start propping it up like it's the best hire they could've made and that it was never in doubt and then started propping up that press conference.

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Snout team

Quote from: HogFoo on April 17, 2024, 12:12:42 amI've been inundated with BBN followers telling me how much Cal will ne er make it past the 1st round. How he doesn't like Arkansas just here for a check. Fooled us. How he'll never change.

The biggest stretch tho, is I told UK fans how i felt sorry for Pope as he would never be given a chance if he started to lose. UK fans would turn on him. I then had UK fans post this 

"I think the turnout at Rupp on Sunday shows how much of a chance Pope will get. Every fan I know is willing to have a few rebuilding years to have a new start. Cal's renewed energy won't last. He's stubborn and lazy"

I had to laugh at that one. He honestly thinks Pope would get 3yrs to rebuild? I Of course told him how ignorant he is to believe that. UK fans would fire his azz the minute they aren't eligible to make the tournament.   I believe UK fans are at the Chad Morris level of denial. 

I'm not sure the first point is entirely false.  I get the impression that he took the Ark job because he wanted out of the pressure cooker of KY and we were the best fit with the best offer.  He doesn't seem enamored to be a hog.

However, he is a great recruiter and I believe he is a competitor who wants to win. 

If he wins here he will be treated so well that his affinity for all things Razorback should grow.

We either just knocked it out of the park with a huge hire that brings a bright future or we hired Chavis again.  I do not believe the second to be true and we will know for sure in a short period of time.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

AugustaHog

I think this only amplifies the "rivalry" between these schools.  Back in the 90s it was as good as it gets.  I think we are headed back to that level of intensity.

ukchingy

Quote from: Hog Hog on April 17, 2024, 10:33:02 amI think he's started to adjust some.  We'll see.

I honestly think it comes down to his staff. If he makes changes, he can get some guys in there that can actually help him. Cal is very loyal though, so he probably thinks he has to bring those guys with him. With that said, he has the opportunity now to change his staff and it can look like it was his idea because he switched jobs. They wanted him to change staff at Kentucky but he is stubborn and always wants to be right.

JurassicPork

Quote from: ukchingy on April 17, 2024, 11:22:10 amI honestly think it comes down to his staff. If he makes changes, he can get some guys in there that can actually help him. Cal is very loyal though, so he probably thinks he has to bring those guys with him. With that said, he has the opportunity now to change his staff and it can look like it was his idea because he switched jobs. They wanted him to change staff at Kentucky but he is stubborn and always wants to be right.

From your perspective, at what point can you separate the good from the bad with his staff?

I haven't been able to find many specifics about their responsibilities, but generally speaking it seems like the ones he brought over are recruiting gurus who lack a bit on the game planning/tactical in-game adjustments side of things. But when you are coming to a new school and have complete roster turnover, I can see how it might be more valuable to keep them around at least the first year to help retain recruits and fill the roster.

Maybe that keeps you from evolving long-term or maybe some of those you have yet to hire will compensate for the perceived weaknesses of the current staff.

Razorbackers

Quote from: NoogaHog on April 16, 2024, 10:05:20 amWhen was the last time anybody heard from Indiana Basketball? They are a "blueblood" who is now at best the 3rd best program in the state. I predict Syracuse won't be able to keep up. Will Louisville come back?

Indiana is a great example of why we shouldn't really call a school a blue blood just because they had one great coach. *stares at Duke*

OldCoot

Quote from: Snout team on April 17, 2024, 10:43:52 amI'm not sure the first point is entirely false.  I get the impression that he took the Ark job because he wanted out of the pressure cooker of KY and we were the best fit with the best offer.  He doesn't seem enamored to be a hog.

However, he is a great recruiter and I believe he is a competitor who wants to win. 

If he wins here he will be treated so well that his affinity for all things Razorback should grow.

We either just knocked it out of the park with a huge hire that brings a bright future or we hired Chavis again.  I do not believe the second to be true and we will know for sure in a short period of time.

On paper, Chavis was an excellent hire.  How did someone who was the product of a bidding war a couple years earlier, just flat out stop coaching for us?  The only thing I can think was he needed to pad his retirement account.

Hog Hog

Quote from: OldCoot on April 17, 2024, 12:40:06 pmOn paper, Chavis was an excellent hire.  How did someone who was the product of a bidding war a couple years earlier, just flat out stop coaching for us?  The only thing I can think was he needed to pad his retirement account.

Yeah, this is a totally different situation.  Calipari could've kept coaching there and made them fire him for $35 million or whatever it was.  He didn't have to take a total rebuild job here for less money than he was making to pad his retirement account.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ukchingy on April 17, 2024, 08:24:07 amI have not said much on this lately because it feels like Arkansas fans are turning against Kentucky fans and I get it. The one thing that I would caution you guys on though is this.... don't think what you see on message boards or Twitter/X as the norm for fans. I think both areas are usually pretty toxic and contain the worst of all the fan bases. Usually people are way more negative on message boards and Twitter/X. When Cal left I wanted to see what Arkansas fans were saying as I enjoy talking with fans of other teams, I specifically chose this site because it seemed to have the most rational fans that just enjoyed talking basketball. I can tell you that most of the UK fans that I know do not hate Cal, they are appreciative of what he did at Kentucky. One of the radio shows put it perfectly one day, it was one of those relationships where both people realized that it was over, neither really wanted it to end because they remembered the good times but it was over. It was best for everyone to just move on and that's what happened. The UK fans I know are appreciative of both Cal and Arkansas, Cal left graciously and didn't hold us hostage for 33 million. Arkansas hired him, which honestly we would have preferred he left the conference but if he was going somewhere in conference we are happy he went somewhere that the fans will care about basketball. I know I look forward to the rivalry between the two schools being renewed.

A very good response. I know every fan base has both good and bad fans.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ukchingy

Quote from: JurassicPork on April 17, 2024, 11:40:48 amFrom your perspective, at what point can you separate the good from the bad with his staff?

I haven't been able to find many specifics about their responsibilities, but generally speaking it seems like the ones he brought over are recruiting gurus who lack a bit on the game planning/tactical in-game adjustments side of things. But when you are coming to a new school and have complete roster turnover, I can see how it might be more valuable to keep them around at least the first year to help retain recruits and fill the roster.

Maybe that keeps you from evolving long-term or maybe some of those you have yet to hire will compensate for the perceived weaknesses of the current staff.

Whew, thats the rub for us regular fans also. We can only go off all the things we have heard in the background that come from behind the scenes and what we saw actually play out during the games. I don't know who does what and who is responsible for what, but the things that need to change are this from my perspective.

1. He needs someone on the bench he respects, but will disagree with him on things and challenge him to make changes when needed. I guess what I am trying to say, recruiting isn't his problem. He needs someone on the bench that will challenge him to do things differently sometimes.

2. He needs someone on the bench who is good with X's and O's as far as in game adjustments. Cal doesn't make adjustments in game, he relies on the players talent to be good enough to overcome the obstacles. If you pay really close attention, you will also see he runs no in bounds plays. It used to drive us nuts. Cal coaches his system, he doesn't game plan for teams. He needs an assistant that scouts the other teams, comes up with a game plan and helps with the X's and O's during the actual game. Cal can recruit all the best players he wants, but if they are young and inexperienced you at least need to game plan for the other team.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan870 on April 16, 2024, 11:08:16 pmI think KY feels about Cal about how we felt about Nutt when Ole Miss "hired him away from us." Let's just hope Cal lasts longer here than Nutt did at Ole Miss.

We went to the first reb versus Hogs game in Oxfart after Nutt went there. When leaving a fan of theirs yelled to us " thanks for giving us your coach". I yelled back "you'll be sorry". Damn if I wasn't right.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ukchingy

Sorry if that is not very clear, I'm still working and trying to type that up real quick.  lol

SMB Hogfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 17, 2024, 01:15:13 pmWe went to the first reb versus Hogs game in Oxfart after Nutt went there. When leaving a fan of theirs yelled to us " thanks for giving us your coach". I yelled back "you'll be sorry". Damn if I wasn't right.

Yep.
Fender Stratocaster
Icom 2200H w/ D-Star
M2 Mac Mini 🍎

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pudgepork on April 16, 2024, 06:11:25 pmIs that before or after they spend time in the bars?

I don't remember . . .
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The problem that each of us has here is that we are dealing with humans and we are also humans. What happens is just ordinary when dealing with this sort of situation.  Cal had not been producing as most expected he should be over the past 5 years.  There was grumbling in Blue country, not everyone but it was getting to be heard by a great few.  Those grumblers were dealing with facts, he wasn't producing as expected, fact.  Truth is we had a pretty damn good coach who we were grumbling about and he was not producing as we expected either.  Both coaches were a bit tired of not being totally appreciated and both changed jobs.  Cal has the better pedigree and he will be expected to produce or we will be hearing from some KY folks, I told you so.  Cal didn't come to ARK to paint, he came here to show he still had what it takes.  Muss moved to USC for the same reason.  If Muss goes to the final 4 and Cal losses the first game which he knows how to do, we are going to be hammered by KY and USC. If Cal goes to the final 4 and neither Muss or KY does well, we look like we got knowhow.  All of this is real possibilities.  Unless you are happy to eat crow, its best we all wait to brag until we have something to brag about.  None of these teams has won a game yet.

MountieDawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 16, 2024, 02:49:11 amLet's compare

Pope (BYU) 110-52     2 straight Big Dance and no wins

Cal (UMass) 193-71    5 straight Big Dances and 1 Final 4

At UMass you can tell Cal was prepared to win at any level. Pope you are only hoping he can win at the SEC level.

Kentucky fans were sick of the number 1 or number 2 recruiting class every year and 1 SECT won in 4 years and o e NCAAT win in 4 years.  I do believe he will do better at Arkansas but once fans or media question him he will dig in to keep doing whatever he is doing and write off fans and every media member that doesn't kiss his feet.  I think he gets 3 to 4 years here in the honeymoon stage.
SEC!