Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look back/ahead to the Top 100 College Basketball recruits in the SEC

Started by jbcarol, June 05, 2012, 04:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Myron Medcalf: Welcome to the year of the freshmen

"I don't really feel any pressure because I still look at myself and my team as underdogs," said Nigel Williams-Goss, ranked 19th in the 2013 class by RecruitingNation and headed into his first year at Washington. "We just have a whole bunch to prove this year."

For Williams-Goss and the other decorated freshmen who've collectively become the preseason storyline of the 2013-14 season, the hype storm that has been brewing in recent years could quite easily become a crescendo of criticism if they fail to meet expectations.

Kansas' prospects were more modest before the best player in the freshmen class, Andrew Wiggins, signed to play for Bill Self. Duke's Jabari Parker, previously the top recruit in the 2013 class, was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated in high school. Arizona's Aaron Gordon was the MVP of the USA Basketball U-19 squad that won a world championship this summer.

Coach John Beilein's effort to help point guard Derrick Walton Jr. avoid the hype could be doubly complicated because of the role the freshman likely will play for a Michigan team that could enter the season as a top-10 squad just months removed from a Final Four run.

Some young players are asked to fill shoes. Walton would have to fill a crater to match the success of Trey Burke, who won the Wooden Award last season and was an NBA lottery pick.

Beilein hopes Walton, ranked 30th in the 2013 class by RecruitingNation, will ignore whatever Burke comparisons this season and concentrate on his own development.

Arkansas' Mike Anderson is confident that Bobby Portis, No. 16 in RecruitingNation's 2013 class, will adjust well to college basketball after competing on the elite AAU circuit throughout high school. The 6-foot-10 forward will give Anderson the size his Razorbacks missed last year.

"Playing against some of the best players in the country has really helped him elevate his game," Anderson said. "Now at the collegiate level, you're going to see some of the same things, you're going to see some of the same guys."

Anderson cautioned that Portis doesn't have to be the "savior" of the program.

That's a common response from coaches who don't want their top freshmen to be overwhelmed. The reality, however, is that the best incoming players in 2013-14 will play vital roles this season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9730293/welcome-year-freshmen

One wag said this was the best class since UCLA landed Lew Alcindor.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Top prospect Kelly Oubre chose Kansas over Kentucky, et al.  His father wanted to talk about it.

Quote"That's one of the reasons behind choosing Kansas. Coach Self doesn't kick you out if you are not ready. I don't care too much for it (one-and-done) because if you look at it over the last couple drafts, the success of the guys one-and-done is few and far between. Every once in a while you find guys who can make it through. I'm more concerned about his education after maybe a two-year stint or three-year stint. How close is he to that degree and having a greater business mind going into the next level, whatever that is?" added Oubre Sr. "I think the first year in college as well as the pros, maybe two, is a learning curve. That learning curve can be cut considerably if he stayed and developed in college."

Matt Jones contacted Oubre, Sr.:

Quote"It was not a statement at all in reference to Kentucky. Eight schools were in the running for my son. The media turned into the big two. But some of the other schools were talking about one and done but Calipari was not one of them. Me and Calipari share the same view on the one and done situation. We both don't think it is a good idea.

"I wanted a coach who was the head of his ship and ran his own program. Those three, were the ones that I saw do that. And they didn't spend their time talking about "one and done" but talked about their programs.

"What pushes the kid out is the money. Other schools talk about why my son shouldn't go to Kentucky or to another school and focused on the other places, but the two schools in question right now (UK and KU) don't talk about the other guy. They weren't little guys getting in a big dog fight, they were big guys comfortable in their own skin. And that is what I wanted to see.

"The lure at the next level is the money. If you are know you are going to be a lottery pick, then at that time we sit down and re-evaluate that thinking. But as of now, I am not a big proponent of it, because I believe the first year is a learning curve."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Rabjohns @JeffRabjohns 
Kentucky will not be James Blackmon Jr's final visit and he has moved back his tentative Oct. 22 decision date.

A former Indiana commit, his father started at UK as a freshman 30 years ago.

jbcarol

Not Jerry Tipton ‏@NotJerryTipton 4h
Florida's Patric Young suggests UK's freshmen won't live up to hype. And if anyone knows about not living up to hype, it's Patric Young.

jbcarol

Delph will sit out the '13-14 season for Auburn

7-foot center Ronald Delph will take a redshirt season with the aim of gaining full eligibility.  He last played at IMG Academy.

jbcarol

Looking back at the 2005 recruiting class through an SEC lens

Quote1. Gerald Green: Went pro out of high school...

3. Monta Ellis: Ellis was a high school legend in Mississippi, but the diminutive scorer skipped college and dropped to the 40th pick in the 2005 draft.

6. Tyler Hansbrough

9. Richard Hendrix: Hendrix went to Alabama, where he teamed up with a talented-but-disappointing team coached by Mark Gottfried. After a junior season in which he averaged 17.8 points and 10.1 boards, Hendrix went pro. He was the 49th pick in 2008, but never set foot on an NBA court.

10-T. Mario Chalmers

10-T. Tasmin Mitchell: Mitchell had a solid four-year career at LSU, making a final four and averaging 16.8 points and 9.4 boards as a fifth-year senior. He played one season in the D-League after graduating, but has been in Israel and Russia since then.

16. Greg Paulus: Paulus was Duke's point guard for three and a half years before losing his starting spot to Nolan Smith. A two-sport star in high school, he transferred to Syracuse to play quarterback as a fifth-year senior. When he graduated, Paulus went into coaching and is now on staff at Ohio State.

OTHER NOTABLE NAMES

84. Jeremy Pargo

Tasmin Mitchell and Richard Hendrix were the SEC players in the Top 100.

jbcarol

Foretold the decline of the SEC in the postseason just after Florida's back-to-back championships.

jbcarol

One-handed wonder Zach Hodskins verbally commits to Florida

Florida offered him a "preferred" walk-on spot in mid-August.

Hodskins over the weekend accepted the offer and verbally committed to the Gators.

He'll be a freshman next season. Hodskins is taking the Gators' offer despite what would likely be more playing time at the D-II or D-III level, where he's gotten plenty of attention.

(video at accessible at link)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24116702/onehanded-hodskins-accepts-florida-scholly-offer-verbally-commits

jbcarol

Moss Point Guard Devin Booker, one of the top prospects in the nation, is dealing with the anxiety that goes with choosing between five colleges that badly want him -- Missouri, Michigan, Michigan State, Kentucky and Florida.

As he has for the last year, Booker is giving little hint on where he plans to go. Booker does plan to have an announcement made before the Nov. 13 start of the NCAA's early signing period.

"It definitely has taken a toll on me," Booker said. "It's tough making a decision, but I'm trying to get it done soon by the November signing period.

"I'm trying to get a date where I can get my family from Michigan down here."

http://www.sunherald.com/2013/10/22/5051711/booker-watson-combo-could-lead.html

jbcarol

"I'm jelling with the guys very well on and off the court," the 6-foot-2, 180-pound Barton said before Tennessee's practice at Pratt Pavilion on Thursday. "More so off the court because that's what matters the most, bonding together. But on the court, everything seems to be falling in place perfectly.

"The off-the-court relationship affects the on-the-court relationship. If you've got a bunch of guys who doesn't like each other off the court, then it's not going to work on the court. Building a relationship off the court is what matters the most."

Though the Vols like what they've seen already from freshman Darius Thompson, a spring-signing-period addition from Blackman High School in Murfreesboro, Barton likely will slide into Trae Golden's vacated spot as the starting point guard.

Barton played both guard positions during his three-year career at Memphis, and though he considers himself a combo guard, he and Thompson figure to share the primary ball-handling duties for Tennessee.

"He's been good," third-year Vols coach Cuonzo Martin said. "Starting last week, midway through last week and this week, you start putting more set plays in, and he does a great job adapting to plays. We'll do more of a motion offense where there's a lot cutting and moving and reading, reading the defense, but he's done a good job so far.

"He's better than I thought he'd be at this point."

On a team with leading scorer Jordan McRae back along with two All-SEC forwards in Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon, Barton's blend of defensive toughness, shooting ability and experience is a nice fit.

As a freshman in 2010-11, Barton averaged 8.2 points in about 10-12 minutes per game

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/oct/25/barton-fitting-in-perfectly-for-vols

jbcarol

College Basketball Preview: Top 30 freshmen

1. Andrew Wiggins

Kansas

Vitals: 6-8 | F

Comment: Is Wiggins going to average 20 a game? Probably not. But by the time conference play heats up, it's going to be clear the Canada native is the best player in the country. He's that good.

2. Julius Randle

Kentucky

Vitals: 6-9 | F

Comment: An absolute physical specimen, Randle has the ability to be unstoppable around the basket.

5. Andrew Harrison

Kentucky

Vitals: 6-5 | G

Comment: The next in a long line of tall, aggressive point guards under John Calipari, Harrison can get into the lane at will.

6. James Young

Kentucky

Vitals: 6-6 | G

Comment: It's hard to say a top-10 prospect was forgotten, but Randle and the Harrison twins have received most of the attention at Kentucky. Meanwhile, NBA scouts continue to fall in love with Young.

8. Aaron Harrison

Kentucky

Vitals: 6-5 | G

Comment: The lesser-heralded of the Harrison twins (even only by a little), Aaron might be the better pure scorer.

12. Jarell Martin

LSU

Comment: If LSU is to make a run to the NCAA tournament this season, Martin will be a key reason.

13. Kasey Hill

Florida

Vitals: 6-1 | G

Comment: ... he's extremely athletic and quick...

16. Dakari Johnson

Kentucky

Vitals: 7-0 | C

Comment: Johnson won't start, as Willie Cauley-Stein is ahead of him in the pecking order. But there aren't many players Johnson's size who can get position on the block and then score consistently.

17. Robert Hubbs

Tennessee

Vitals: 6-6 | G

Comment: He didn't become an elite prospect until the spring after his junior year, but Hubbs has the ability to fill it up quickly

28. Bobby Portis

Arkansas

Comment: The Razorbacks' first McDonald's All-American in a decade, it would be a surprise not to see Portis get big minutes immediately. He has a variety of skills and brings an impressive motor.

29. Damian Jones

Vanderbilt

Vitals: 6-10 | F

Comment: Head coach Kevin Stallings said Jones has a chance to be the best post player he's ever had

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24128683/college-basketball-preview-top-30-freshmen

SEC much better represented this season than they 10-12 years ago.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 3h
LSU's Johnny Jones making waves on recruiting trail. So much that ex-Tiger Collis Temple told me that "We're going to kick Kentucky's #$%"

jbcarol

jbcarol

Hello, Derrick Willis. The least heralded of UK's mega-class had a huge game before the 15,000+ at Rupp. Willis buried five of six three-pointers and scored 21 points. As Jerry Tipton points out, Willis' final three was well beyond NBA range. On the liveblog, someone joked that it was Willis who forced Kyle Wiltjer to pack his suitcase and head to Gonzaga. And Alex Poythress needs to pick up his game.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/10/30/three-spot-from-uks-blue-white-basketball-scrimmage

Willis was the best scoring option on the team composed of reserves during the scrimmage

jbcarol

Highly touted small forward Devin Robinson announced his commitment to the Gators on Wednesday, joining fellow top prospects Brandone Francis and Chris Chiozza in Florida's recruiting class of 2014.

Robinson chose the Gators over Indiana, Oklahoma State and Notre Dame. The 6-foot-8 prospect from Virginia is considered a top-30 recruit by every major recruiting service.

Francis and Chiozza — both guards — are also ranked in the top 30 by 247Sports.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2013/10/30/sec-news-florida-gets-a-big-commitment-for-2014

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 23, 2013, 12:18:24 pm
Moss Point Guard Devin Booker, one of the top prospects in the nation, is dealing with the anxiety that goes with choosing between five colleges that badly want him -- Missouri, Michigan, Michigan State, Kentucky and Florida.

As he has for the last year, Booker is giving little hint on where he plans to go. Booker does plan to have an announcement made before the Nov. 13 start of the NCAA's early signing period.

"It definitely has taken a toll on me," Booker said. "It's tough making a decision, but I'm trying to get it done soon by the November signing period.

"I'm trying to get a date where I can get my family from Michigan down here."

http://www.sunherald.com/2013/10/22/5051711/booker-watson-combo-could-lead.html

Devin Booker, one of the nation's top high school shooting guards and a Mizzou legacy, plans to announce his college choice at 3 p.m. today at his high school in Moss Point, Miss, he announced on Twitter Tuesday.

Booker, son of former Missouri All-American guard Melvin Booker, will choose between Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State and Missouri.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/booker-to-announce-college-choice-mizzou-a-finalist/article_111b842f-7340-584d-bbc9-a41e110a7605.html

Reported that Booker was on the Mizzou campus each of the last two weekends.

His father's Big 8 championship team was honored during one of the exhibition games.

jbcarol

Moss Point's Devin Booker verbally commits to Kentucky (with photo gallery)

QuoteDevin Booker resisted the lure of his home state and his father's legacy on Thursday, and cast his lot with arguably the most historic college basketball program in the country.

Booker, Moss Point High School basketball superstar and Mississippi's Gatorade Player of the Year last season, verbally committed to Kentucky during a packed ceremony at Arthur Haynes Gymnasium. The 6-foot-6 shooting guard chose the Wildcats over Michigan and Michigan State --- he lived with his mother in Grand Rapids, Mich., until two years ago --- as well as Missouri, where his father was a star in the early 1990s.

"I'd like to announce that I will play in college at ... the University of Kentucky," Booker said as he pulled a blue and white Kentucky hat from under a table and placed it on his head. His father, Melvin Booker, and mother, Veronica Gutierrez, flanked him as he made the announcement to thunderous applause from the assembled student body.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 15, 2013, 09:08:00 am
Jeff Rabjohns @JeffRabjohns 
Kentucky will not be James Blackmon Jr's final visit and he has moved back his tentative Oct. 22 decision date.

A former Indiana commit, his father started at UK as a freshman 30 years ago.

Blackmon, Jr. gave a verbal to Indiana on ESPNU.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Night of not following in your father's footsteps

JAMES BLACKMON JR. RECOMMITS TO INDIANA

DEVIN BOOKER COMMITS TO KENTUCKY

If there was anyone with the right to be slightly disappointed in Blackmon and Booker's decisions, it was their fathers. Both James Blackmon Sr. and Melvin Booker played at schools their sons were considering, Blackmon Kentucky and Booker Missouri. Neither kid chose their father's alma mater, instead forging their own paths in the sport.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/not-following-in-your-fathers-footsteps-friday-news-and-views

jbcarol

Kentucky's James "JY" Young:

Actually counted as two points for the opponent.

jbcarol

The shot in the prior post had its own ESPN SportsCenter segment closing the 11AM EST show.

jbcarol

Minutes ago, five-star power foward Trey Lyles picked Kentucky over Louisville to become UK's fourth commitment in the 2014 class. Lyles announced his decision in front of friends and family at Arsenal Technical in Indianapolis.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/trey-lyles-picks-kentucky-do-not-post

The announcement was aired on ESPNU.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 6h
Oscar Robertson Trophy's 15-man preseason watch list has just one SEC name, Kentucky frosh Julius Randle.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger:
The United States Basketball Writers Association on Tuesday released a list of the 15 best players in college basketball.

Just one, Kentucky freshman Julius Randle, plays in the SEC. There were four players from the Big Ten, and three from the ACC. There were even two from the AAC.

QuoteIt was yet another reminder that the conference that can do no wrong all fall can just not get it right in the winter. Not that the SEC, or its coaches, will admit to this. The league has done an excellent job in recent years of picking and choosing the "right" news to highlight.

There were five players on the Wayman Tisdale Award watch list, which is given to the best freshman in the country. Ignore that four play for Kentucky.

Along those same lines, nine McDonald's All-Americans enrolled at an SEC school this season. Less impressive is that five (sic or six) went to Kentucky and two to Florida, with LSU and Arkansas grabbing one apiece. That's not so much of a talent influx as it is a stacking of the deck.

A year ago the SEC trumpeted that the first three picks in the NBA Draft were all from the SEC. Just ignore that, again, two were from Kentucky and that Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal only spent a year on a college campus. They did not even play in every SEC arena before bolting for the NBA.

It undoubtedly helps the SEC's cherry-picking that Kentucky continues to be Kentucky (a commitment on Tuesday from top-10 prospect Trey Lyles gives the Wildcats another top-ranked recruiting class), and that Florida remains strong year-in and year-out.

We're coming off a season in which only three teams made the NCAA Tournament, and the outlook for the 2013-14 season that begins this weekend does not look much better.

The Oscar Robertson Trophy watch list included seven seniors and four sophs.  Not sure what happened to the junior class.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 7h
UK's 2014 commits so far in Rivals rankings: No. 8 Trey Lyles (PF), No. 11 Karl Towns (C), No. 30 Devin Booker (SG), No. 33 Tyler Ulius (PG)

Cal still struggling to get a verbal from a top ranked SF.

jbcarol

ESPN article on UK's Key Recruiter: Calipari believes Orlando Antigua won't be by his side much longer.

Halloween night, 1988. He was 15 years old, on a gurney in the back of an ambulance as it sped down Fordham Road in the Bronx, sirens stacking atop one another like pages in a book.

Fifteen, with a bullet in his head, listening to the paramedics radio ahead to the emergency room. The language of panic: "GSW near left eye. Entry, no exit."

Don't close your eyes.

Antigua's enthusiasm plays well in living rooms and on the practice court. Kings center DeMarcus Cousins, who as a high school star in Alabama committed to John Calipari and Antigua at Memphis and followed them to Kentucky, says, "When Cal is chewing you out, Coach O is always a guy you can go to." Many of the young men running up and down the floor wearing Wildcats blue are there because of Antigua. It might have been something he saw in them or something they saw in him; it's impossible to say which came first...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9893531/kentucky-assistant-coach-orlando-antigua-creates-best-recruiting-classes-ever-espn-magazine

Antigua was also the first Latino to play for the Harlem Globetrotters.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 15h
In his first 2 games at Kentucky, Julius Randle has 45 points and 29 rebounds. Next up: No. 2 Michigan State Tuesday in the @championclassic

jbcarol

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas 2h
Jabari Parker most complete, Julius Randle most physically dominant, and Andrew Wiggins most athletic and best in transition. All terrific.

While we praise the freshmen, and rightfully so, MSU's Keith Appling had 22 pts, 8 rebs, 8 asst and 4 steals. He was truly outstanding.

While we praise the freshmen, KU's Perry Ellis had 24 points, 9 rebounds, 3 steals and was 9-13. But, he's a grizzled vet. A sophomore.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 5h
Mizzou announces signing of Jakeenan Gant, 6-8 forward from Springfield, Ga.

jbcarol

LSU saw three of their commitments sign letters of intent Wednesday during the early signing period and fill the available slots in this year's class.

The first series of formal pledged came in around 1 p.m. with the documents from Tioga forward Aaron Epps and Montverde (Fla.) point guard Jalyn Patterson. It was followed a little over 90 minutes later by the paperwork from Lakeview Centennial (Texas) 7-0, 320 center Elbert Robinson.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/7575736-32/tigers-3-signees-fill-holes

jbcarol

With three players inked on the first day of the early signing period, Alabama has likely concluded its work for the early signing period, coach Anthony Grant said.

"You never know what potentially could open up," Grant said. "You always want to keep your options open in terms of what could be available."

Alabama's 2014-15 team will be bolstered by the additions of three freshmen: guards Justin Coleman (5-10, 146, Birmingham) and Devin Mitchell (6-3, 170, Suwanee, Ga.) and forward Riley Norris (6-7, 180, Albertville). Two transfers, guard Ricky Tarrant and Michael Kessens, will also be eligible to play.

First-team all-SEC point guard Trevor Releford is the only scholarship player guaranteed not to return.

In the event of attrition, Alabama will have another chance to add players to its roster during the spring signing period in April.

"Right now, we're at 13 scholarships," Grant said.

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2013/11/alabama_likely_done_with_early.html

The numbers are working themselves out for Bama. They often do.

jbcarol

Ole Miss signed a four-man recruiting basketball recruiting class Wednesday, a group comprised entirely of out-of-state players.

Signing with the Rebels were guards J.T. Escobar (Tallahassee, Fla.) and Stefan Moody (Kissimmee, Fla.), forward Marcanvis Hymon (Memphis, Tenn.) and center Rauno Nurger (Bel Aire, Kan.). Moody played as a freshman at Florida Atlantic and is now at a Texas junior college.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2013/11/basketball_recruiting_ole_miss.html

Moody was Sun Belt freshman of the year and last played at Kilgore.

jbcarol

Mississippi State announced its basketball signing class Wednesday, a group that includes two in-state standouts.

The Bulldogs signed forward Oliver Black of Jackson and guard Maurice Dunlap of Greenwood, plus forward Demetrius Houston of Montgomery, Ala. The 6-foot-7 Houston is from the same high school (Carver) that produced current Bulldogs Craig Sword and Roquez Johnson.

"I want to commend Wes Flanigan, George Brooks, and Chris Hollender for their efforts in continually putting in the time and work it takes to sign these special young men," MSU coach Rick Ray said.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2013/11/basketball_recruiting_mississi.html

Flanigan a Parkview alum played at Auburn.  Won the SEC Courage Award after bouncing back from cancer.

jbcarol

Wednesday, all four of Kentucky's 2014 commitments signed their letters of intent. Here are Calipari's thoughts on each:

Karl Towns:

"Karl, at 7 feet tall, brings great versatility. He can obviously score it inside, but his ability to shoot and handle it like he's a guard will spread defenses out. His growth from his first stint with the Dominican team until now has been unbelievable, and I'm looking forward to working with him on the collegiate level."

Tyler Ulis [5-8 PG]:

"Tyler is the ultimate competitor. His heart and his ability to make people better set him apart from his peers. He can score in bunches, and like every point guard I've had, he brings a little something different to the table."

Devin Booker:

"Devin is a scoring machine. At nearly 6-6, he can play three different positions. He's got great range, which should help us spread the floor a bit when he's playing. What I like most about him is his confidence."

Trey Lyles:

"At 6-10, Trey can play both inside and outside. He has the skills to score in both areas. He's seen what some of our former guys are doing in the pros right now and has said he wants to follow in their path. My hope is he's our next beast."

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 4h
Missouri officially adds Los Angeles shooting guard Namon Wright to 2014 class.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 15 Nov
Cross 2014 F Stanley Johnson off UF's wish list. Has committed to Arizona.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 6h
Rick Ray concludes teleconference saying he has no plans in signing any players in the second signing period.

jbcarol

Tuesday is the rare night when the biggest names among this freshman class are all in action. So which one -- Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon -- will have the most impressive performance tonight?

Katz: Randle. Kentucky coach John Calipari said he called the same play for Randle 16 straight times against Michigan State. Calipari will lean on Randle's size and strength advantage to exploit a mismatch against Arlington.

O'Neil: This is like picking the prettiest 10-carat diamond. All are good choices, but because we must pick, I'll lean toward Parker. Why? Because after a night that he scored 21 (as he did against UNC Asheville), his Hall of Fame coach wanted him to shoot even more. Parker has started his career with four consecutive 20-point nights. What's one more?

Brown: Randle will have most impressive performance, but it seems as though we're already starting to take him for granted. He's had a double-double scoring and rebounding in all four of Kentucky's games this season. Posting another will just be Randle doing what is already expected of him.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/dailyword131119/daily-word

jbcarol

Randle had 22 and 10. UT-Arlington chose to collapse on Randle leaving James "JY" Young open for 26.

Wiggins had 13 and 7 as KU cruised by the Iona Gaels.

Jabari had 21 and 9 with 6 blocks as Duke eased by ECU. State transfer Hood led Blue Devils with 30.

Aaron Gordon plays later.

jbcarol

On Wednesday, junior college guard Josh Gray made his fifth college commitment – but this one could stick.

Gray pledged to LSU over a slew of schools, including UNLV, Illinois, Texas A&M, Providence, Marquette, Missouri and others. Louisville was interested, but the Cardinals got a signature from Quen Snider last week.

The 6-foot-1 Louisiana native had decommitted from Florida State in late October after committing to the Seminoles in mid-September. He originally committed to Mississippi State out of high school, but head coach Rick Stansbury departed before Gray arrived in Starkville. He then went to Texas Tech, where he averaged 9.3 points as a freshman. However, Billy Gillispie resigned six weeks before the season...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24251014/lsu-gets-commitment-from-junior-college-star-josh-gray

Gray was quoted as saying he was "looking for a relationship" last summer.

jbcarol

DeCourcy: Will Duke's one-and-done deep dive end age limit hypocrisy?

QuoteSo what will they all say? If Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow and the Duke Blue Devils arrive onstage for the 2015 Final Four at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, one year into college careers that very well could last only one year, will their coach, Mike Krzyzewski, face a question ... that includes the phrase "Your best players aren't here by choice" and suggested winning the championship wouldn't mean all that much to them?

Will NCAA president Mark Emmert be asked at his annual state-of-the-association news conference to discuss the "Duke-and-done" culture? 

DeCourcy covers college basketball and recruiting for Sporting News.

jbcarol

Looking at in-state and out-of-state prospects for recent SEC Championship Teams.

Kentucky 2012

Regulars (min. 5 PPG, 10-12 MPG)

In-State
Darius Miller   SF '08 POS Rank #7 4-star  Maysville, KY (Chris Lofton's school)

Out-of-State
Anthony Davis PF '11 POS Rank #1 5-star  Perspectives Charter, Chicago, IL
Terrence Jones PF '10 POS Rank #2 5-star Jefferson, Portland, OR (w/T. Ross)
Kidd-Gilchist   SF '11 POS Rank #1 5-star  St. Patrick, Elizabeth, NJ
Doron Lamb   SG '10 POS Rank #5 4-star  Bishop Tom Loughlin, Brooklyn, NY
Marquis Teague PG '11 POS Rank #1 5-star Pike, Indianapolis, IN (Jeff's bro)
Kyle Wiltjer    C  '11 POS Rank #3 4-star  Jesuit, Portland, OR

jbcarol

"The Fence".  Top Kentucky prospects who got away or were not recruited by UK '08-11:

2008 (BCG's last class)
Scotty Hopson  5-star #1 SF  University Hts.  Tennessee, 3 seasons, 17 PPG Jr., Turkey

N/A

N/A

Chane Behanan  5-star #7 PF  Bowling Green HS, NC UofL, 10ppg, 6.5 rpg, Suspended; now back as a reserve

jbcarol

Rick Ray ‏@RickRay1 26 Nov
I need our students & Greeks that are staying around to be at The Hump Wednesday, 1pm. We have a VIP recruit coming that needs YOUR love!