Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs' defense has 12 sacks for the season, tied for second least in NCAA

Started by KennyForAD, November 08, 2017, 10:18:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

the defensive switch reminds me when Nolan took the job. he said we are going to play the way I want to play. he played that way his first year with all Sutton players. it was a mess.

changing schemes is not easy on the players. who knows what this would look like next year. but, the scheme is going to change again with change of coaches.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

steveaustin69

Quote from: JeffysShrimpDick on November 08, 2017, 11:00:17 am
We should be running a 4-2-5 defense so we have less slow linebackers on the field and more fast athletic safeties.
4 linemen 2 linebackers 3 safeties and 2 cornerbacks.
If you have enough athletic safeties this is a really good defense.
Hard to run on and hard to pass on.
Only tricky thing is you need real safeties not little cornerbacks that have been moved to safety they need to be strong physical and fast or it doesn't work.

So as long as we have three Landon Collins/Mark Barrons year in year out our defense should be stellar.  Seems attainable and likely. Mucho gusto analysiso

oldhog63

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 08, 2017, 10:34:08 am
That stance he gets in isn't even a split stance...I call it a frog stance. It's the worst looking thing I've ever seen a d-lineman do. You aren't going to get a pass rush doing that. Especially 2 yards or so off the ball. lol I just don't get what we are supposed to be doing, especially at his position.
After a while, when the games get past frustration, I focus on him. He is supposed to be our most talented defensive player and, like you say, that stance just stands out like a sore thumb so it draws my attention. So, I figure these college level coaches surely know more about this than me, so I entertain myself (because the game isn't) trying to figure out what he is supposed to be doing.

Granted, I am not privy to the game plan, assignments, calls, etc. so all I can go on is what I see on the field. Most of the time out of that frog stance he stands up and plays catch with usually the O-tackle. He does an admirable job of holding his ground for the most part, but still the O-tackle probably outweighs him by at least 50 pounds and has a couple step momentum start. Agim is either usually pushed back a little or just swallowed up. Not much setting an edge, just usually a big stalemate 2-3 yards off the ball. So, right off, an off tackle play is going to result in a 2-3 yard gain even if the 2nd and 3rd level support get there on time. Still haven't figured out what he is supposed to be doing on those assignments, but seems like a waste because he is not a factor anywhere near the line of scrimmage.

Now, every once in a while he seems to be turned loose. He is going hard one side or the other of the tackle. On those plays he is very disruptive and generally in the backfield. I have yet to see a single offensive player block him one-on-one in those situations. So, he obviously has the ability to cause issues if he was allowed to play.

If the best (or at least one of the best) defensive players is being under utilized, I suspect that all of them probably are.

I just cannot blame the assistants for the mess we have.  Remember, several assistants have passed through this program in the past 5 years.  Were all of them bad, I think not.  Same for the players.  Maybe for, example, Bijohn Jackson is all that but we don't know how to motivate him or use him, who knows.

I see several posters still believe Jeff Long is a great manager of the sports department and I surely don't know that he isn't.  I do know for sure that he has had some failures that were huge.  I sincerely hope someone of authority is/has been watching where the money stream is going out to.  You can bring in a billion annually but if you are spending/wasting 1.5 billion annually that won't work, (THINK U S GOVERNMENT).  I repeat, I have absolutely no information that spending is out of hand but I do know that any person that can be hired into a trusting position such as the AD and then fail at some of the most critical duties of the AD, just might not be ALL THAT in other areas too.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 10:46:34 am
Then how did Rob Smith have a GREAT defense his first year?
Oh, you mean back when we used to blitz!?  :)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

010HogFan

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 08, 2017, 10:31:08 am
Agim has been a huge bust so far.  Hopefully it's coaching and not his actual talent.  I'd love to see him be successful under the next coach.

I just don't think this is true. Look what Deatrich Wise is doing for the Patriots right now and people said the same thing about him last year. It's a systemic issue.

code red

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 10:18:06 am
One less and we'd be tied for dead last with ... Coastal Carolina.   Hogs are 98th in Defensive Effeciency, 94th in Rushing Defense, etc. etc.

We don't have the absolute worst Defense in the NCAA, but its getting really close.

Why has Paul Rhoades not been fired for gross incompetence?
3 front!!! Brillant!!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

KennyForAD

Quote from: 12247 on November 08, 2017, 11:13:41 am
I just cannot blame the assistants for the mess we have.  Remember, several assistants have passed through this program in the past 5 years.  Were all of them bad, I think not.  Same for the players.  Maybe for, example, Bijohn Jackson is all that but we don't know how to motivate him or use him, who knows.

I see several posters still believe Jeff Long is a great manager of the sports department and I surely don't know that he isn't.  I do know for sure that he has had some failures that were huge.  I sincerely hope someone of authority is/has been watching where the money stream is going out to.  You can bring in a billion annually but if you are spending/wasting 1.5 billion annually that won't work, (THINK U S GOVERNMENT).  I repeat, I have absolutely no information that spending is out of hand but I do know that any person that can be hired into a trusting position such as the AD and then fail at some of the most critical duties of the AD, just might not be ALL THAT in other areas too.

There is no telling how much of the UofA's money Jeff Long has managed to funnel to the Caribbean by now, like the Clinton's in government.   Our biggest problem is that our PTB can't recognize a con man even after he's stolen their watches.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on November 08, 2017, 10:54:17 am
It's all over. Agim is all we have upfront. Jackson has been a major let down all 4 years, and that's about all the depth we have there. Guidry has been okay. Our linebackers aren't terrible, minus Eugene at times, but they certainly don't bring enough pressure with them, and we don't have depth there either to last all game. Doesn't matter if secondary is all-world, can only cover for so long w/o pressure, and we've lacked that the last 2 years in a MAJOR way. That's been the biggest issue. All the other team has to do is sit back and read the coverage and they won't have a problem scoring. Not to mention our DL is so weak they can't stop the run and we're continually outnumbered there as well because they continue to not bring pressure. Bret is an IDIOT!

Jackson had great coaches in El Dorado.  He has not had any real defensive line coaching since he left El Dorado for Fayetteville.  Jackson is not the disappointment.  He is the one who was let down.   Watch what he does in the NFL, when he once again has a D line coach who knows what he's doing, like the one he had in El Dorado.

Right now, Jackson needs to go through the motions, don't get hurt, then get the Hell out of there and get ready for the combine.

streitenberger

One less and we'd be tied for dead last with ... Coastal Carolina.   Hogs are 98th in Defensive Effeciency, 94th in Rushing Defense, etc. etc.

We don't have the absolute worst Defense in the NCAA, but its getting really close.

But I don't understand...  they get plenty of sacks in practice?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: JeffysShrimpDick on November 08, 2017, 11:57:53 am
you.......you think they actually practice?
What :o Are you kidding me ??? Of course we practice. Heck, haven't you been paying ANY attention at all. I mean we're constantly being bombarded with "we had a great week of practice" and "we're so close". If you haven't been privy to that particular bit of news your internet service must be REALLY slow.

Tigaman

Promoting Paul Rhodes to defensive coordinator was a huge mistake. His only experience in the 3-4 previously was in his final year at Iowa State. His entire coaching career before that was in the 4-3. Bielema should have hired someone who had plenty of experience coaching in the 3-4. What is even worse is that Bielema has no experience coaching in the 3-4 and tries to influence the defense. The 3-4 was going to be a disaster for Arkansas the moment it was announced.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 11:37:01 am
Jackson had great coaches in El Dorado.  He has not had any real defensive line coaching since he left El Dorado for Fayetteville.  Jackson is not the disappointment.  He is the one who was let down.   Watch what he does in the NFL, when he once again has a D line coach who knows what he's doing, like the one he had in El Dorado.

Right now, Jackson needs to go through the motions, don't get hurt, then get the Hell out of there and get ready for the combine.
I've kept quiet about it for the most part, but Bijhon is my younger brother. My lips are sealed for the time being, but the thing I will say is I question the development of the defensive line not just right now, but since Charlie Partridge left. I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan, so I was familiar with Rory Seagrest on field product long before he came here. All I'm willing to say about that at the moment is that Philadelphia's defensive production up front was vastly improved the moment he stepped left.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Tigaman on November 08, 2017, 12:11:20 pm
Promoting Paul Rhodes to defensive coordinator was a huge mistake. His only experience in the 3-4 previously was in his final year at Iowa State. His entire coaching career before that was in the 4-3. Bielema should have hired someone who had plenty of experience coaching in the 3-4. What is even worse is that Bielema has no experience coaching in the 3-4 and tries to influence the defense. The 3-4 was going to be a disaster for Arkansas the moment it was announced.

Razor1997

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 08, 2017, 10:21:50 am
Doesn't make any difference who the DC is, Bielema has his handprints all over it and won't allow them to do what they want to do.  Bielema is coaching scared on defense and that's not good for any football team.

The whole "never blitz" defensive philosophy can generate good pressure on the QB when you have guys like Darius Philon and Trey Flowers in your front four and a guy like Speight in the middle right behind them.

Bielema's defensive approach would probably be successful today if we had Alabama's players.  But then again any defensive approach would probably be successful today if we had Alabama's players.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Razor1997 on November 08, 2017, 12:23:40 pm
The whole "never blitz" defensive philosophy can generate good pressure on the QB when you have guys like Darius Philon and Trey Flowers in your front four and a guy like Speight in the middle right behind them.

Bielema's defensive approach would probably be successful today if we had Alabama's players.  But then again any defensive approach would probably be successful today if we had Alabama's players.
Alabama is literally the only program in the country I have seen all season that can flawlessly execute the 3-4 defense. We could have Philon, Flowers, Spaight, and Wise and we still wouldn't be able to pull it off

KennyForAD

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 08, 2017, 12:16:32 pm
I've kept quiet about it for the most part, but Bijhon is my younger brother. My lips are sealed for the time being, but the thing I will say is I question the development of the defensive line not just right now, but since Charlie Partridge left. I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan, so I was familiar with Rory Seagrest on field product long before he came here. All I'm willing to say about that at the moment is that Philadelphia's defensive production up front was vastly improved the moment he stepped left.

Wow.  Thank you.  You made my day!    And good luck to your brother.   Never met him, but all I've ever heard is that he is a wonderful young man.

HF#1

Said it from the start, the scheme change was a move of pure desperation. It was a last ditch attempt because Bielema was out of options and knew his job would be on the line. It was never going to work. He is throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on November 08, 2017, 12:46:58 pm
Said it from the start, the scheme change was a move of pure desperation. It was a last ditch attempt because Bielema was out of options and knew his job would be on the line. It was never going to work. He is throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks.

It wasn't a bad idea given the style of offenses we face.  But it wasn't a one year fix.  The 3-4 is a commitment.  Got to recruit to it.  It is something to do early in a rebuild while you can take some growing pains and build to it.  Bielema obviously miscalculated what team he had coming back for this season and had no idea it was going to implode into being his last. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 12:52:58 pm
It wasn't a bad idea given the style of offenses we face.  But it wasn't a one year fix.  The 3-4 is a commitment.  Got to recruit to it.  It is something to do early in a rebuild while you can take some growing pains and build to it.  Bielema obviously miscalculated what team he had coming back for this season and had no idea it was going to implode into being his last. 

This I agree with.  What amazes me is that, after the very first game, even I realized that this was one of the worst Arkansas teams I had ever seen, and BB seemed to have no idea how bad his team was.   Had he come out before the season and said, we are going to struggle this year and maybe next, like HDN did once, he might have saved his job.   But he obviously had no clue.

solitons

all these are smoke,
the real defense will show up from Saturday,
beat LSU, go hogs

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on November 08, 2017, 12:46:58 pm

what is funny is how many posts here and how many phone calls to radio shows last year were saying how the Hogs should go to the 3-4. So many people think every problem has an easy fix.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 01:27:17 pm
what is funny is how many posts here and how many phone calls to radio shows last year were saying how the Hogs should go to the 3-4. So many people think every problem has an easy fix.

No doubt, Eeyore.  No doubt.  It will be a major job to fix all the problems Long has created.  Even hoping to 'fix' them is probably hoping for too much.  All we can hope for is to get rid of him and to start moving in the right direction.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 01:27:17 pm

The 3-4, the 4-3, the 5-2, really doesn't matter which one you run if you don't run them correctly, and with some resemblance of unpredictability.  We rush 3 or 4 every time, never blitz with a safety or anything other than an outside LB, and then just one.  The D is just plain vanilla with this coach.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

kiddhog

I just think we play the "prevent defense " from the opening kickoff. It plays into that philosophy of "playing not to lose". It simply does not work.

farmhawg

Because it's still brettts defense. So damn easy to see. Doesn't matter the coordinators we still see the same inconsistencies. It's dumpling.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

DeltaBoy

Sacks like Wins are UNCOMMON  with Jeffrey Long and Baby Huey.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: cdhogfan on November 08, 2017, 10:21:33 am
I hate the bend don't break style of defense we play.  Especially considering we are bending and breaking.

Awesome.

Sacks can be spectacular, but that's not all. How about pressuring the quarterback or at least being disruptive? What I see this year is the other quarterback—well, and mostly their entire offense—running their plan how they want to. QBs stand comfortably in the pocket looking for targets.

So if we don't rush the QB well, don't blitz, don't gamble, and are a stay-at-home defense, why do we see so many routine runs that go for 30, 40, 50+ yards against us? And usually their backs are not touched.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

razorbackred1

In SEC play we average giving up 501 total yards, split almost 50/50 between rushing and passing yards, which means we are equally as bad at both! Introducing and sticking with the 3-4 is total lunacy, we have 2 good LB's with decent speed and our D-line gets man handled by 1 blocker not 2 almost every play .... this is 100% a coaching issue!

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 10:23:18 am
I think the lack of talent is actually in the back 8.
I think the lack of talent is actually in the coaching staff.

you would have a point if our recruiting was also in the high 90's

but its not.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Ranger

I've spent years watching bad Arkansas defenses but the last few years have been unbearable. If you know you're gonna be bad every year, why not pin your ears back and take some chances?

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 09, 2017, 07:52:04 pm
I think the lack of talent is actually in the coaching staff.

you would have a point if our recruiting was also in the high 90's

but its not.

Get em Pork.  Get em OUTTA HERE.

KennyForAD

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 09, 2017, 07:54:05 pm
I've spent years watching bad Arkansas defenses but the last few years have been unbearable. If you know you're gonna be bad every year, why not pin your ears back and take some chances?

Because our coach has NO clue what he is doing, which has been OBVIOUS for years. 

WaltonCollege

It's a combination of everything, outside of Agim we have 0 talent on the d line. Can't get a push or hold the line of scrimmage. We need 8 good backers to run a successful 3-4, we have maybe 2.5 serviceable SEC backers. Safeties cant cover, and only Santos knows how to lay the wood and tackle. We're not bad on defense, we are horrible, the worst defense in hog history. Little talent, no depth, poor coaching. Eventually apathy sets in.

Jimbob111

These are just some of the numbers that tell me that in addition to the win-loss record, this is the worst Razorback football team that I have ever seen or ever heard old timers speak of.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?