Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finishing the 2013 BBall Class: A Guy I Think We Need to Watch

Started by RazorAg, November 15, 2012, 07:24:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

So, last year, I focused in on Coty Clarke November-ish, from doing research on what I thought we needed to finish that class last year.  That came to fruition to somewhat of my surprise, later in the Spring.

There's been some talk that we may look in Juco for another signee in the Spring.  I think that's fine, but from a class distribution standpoint, I think it may be better to sign a high school player if you can get the caliber we need.

You look at our guard/wing make-up going forward, and you can make an argument that we need to sign a scorer.  For the next two years, you have:

> Rickey Scott: Has the instincts to be a slashing scorer, but has been inconsistent and needs to make a step this year.  Even if he does, you only have him for one more year.
> Mardracus Wade: Looks like he could make a step in expanding his offensive arsenal this year, but will still be primarily a catch and shoot guy, IMO.  Only have him for one more year.
> Ky Madden: Doesn't appear that he will be a scorer on this level.
> Fred Gulley: Not a scorer.
> Michael Qualls: Could develop into a scorer but good chance he doesn't develop into someone who can get his shot whenever he wants.
> JaCorey Williams: Has the most upside in this category, but he's one guy that's a freshman at this point.  Need more.
> Anthlon Bell: Also could develop into a scorer, but may always be more of a catch and shoot guy.  He's shown flashes, though.

And, nothing coming in the 2013 class in this category at this point.

So, all said, I think a guy to keep an eye on is Detrick Mostella.  He's an Alabama guy playing at a prep school in Indiana.  Grades are the question right now, and that's why there's not been too much activity with him.  That's probably why he's at a prep school, so he can focus only on bball and academics.  Played for Southeast Elite, which our staff has worked with for years; that's obviously Coach A and TJ's neck of the woods.  This kid is no doubt a scorer, very much in the mold of BJ, in that he's 6'2-6'3, very athletic, has a quick first step, and scores on all three levels.  May be a more natural shooter than BJ at this stage, too.  Now, all that said, don't get me wrong, he's not as productive of a prospect as BJ was and is, but he's still a good scoring option.  4 star kid, #68 overall, with Rivals, #41 on 247, #83 on ESPN and just outside the Top 100 (4 star) on FoxSportsNext.  This kid can play.  Question may be whether or not he has the proper focus academically (which was the same question with BJ, ironically).  Texas A&M, Georgetown and SMU are the three that have stayed on him the hardest and he's mentioned wanting to visit them.  Maybe, we give him a look. I think it'd be worth our while.

The_Iceman

The first game of the season showed where we are in terms of guard play next year if BJ leaves.

We have to find a pure scorer like BJ. We just don't have that on the roster. Bell and Williams have the most potential to become efficient 10+ppg scorers, but nothing like BJ's ability to slash through the defense and finish at the rim.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*