Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't like to compare players

Started by labb, January 01, 2018, 01:10:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

but after yesterday's showing it has been on my mind that Barford/Macon  offensively remind me a whole lot of MayDay.

hawkhawg

Quote from: labb on January 01, 2018, 01:10:06 pm
but after yesterday's showing it has been on my mind that Barford/Macon  offensively remind me a whole lot of MayDay.

Offensively, I think they are right up their with our all-time great backcourts. 

OneLardAlmighty

In terms of style of play, with the way Barford plays off the dribble and as tough as he inside, and with Macon's stroke and ice water veins, Moncrief/Brewer might be a more apt comparison...though I tread on holy ground here.

BrooklynRoss

i've seen a lot of good guards in my day, the Triplets (Super Sid!) Alvin Robertson, Darryl Walker, Beck, Reid, Qualls, Pat Bradley, etc., but I've never seen a better backcourt than Macon and Barford.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on January 01, 2018, 01:48:17 pm
i've seen a lot of good guards in my day, the Triplets (Super Sid!) Alvin Robertson, Darryl Walker, Beck, Reid, Qualls, Pat Bradley, etc., but I've never seen a better backcourt than Macon and Barford.

I've been around since Lanny Van Eman era and I've seen all you speak of. They could very well be to Mikes system what the others were to Eddie and Nolans system. I still think back to Brewer Moncrief and Delph, Reid, Walker and Robertson etc.......there are some All Americans there. Hopefully Macon and Barford will get their due by years end.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 01, 2018, 02:00:11 pm
I've been around since Lanny Van Eman era and I've seen all you speak of. They could very well be to Mikes system what the others were to Eddie and Nolans system. I still think back to Brewer Moncrief and Delph, Reid, Walker and Robertson etc.......there are some All Americans there. Hopefully Macon and Barford will get their due by years end.

Good points all around, but they made a pretty big statement against Tennessee.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

3of5-2

Not even close. Those mentioned were better before they were even seniors than these guys are today. They stand out, as they should, because they carry the load, and are the go to guys.

hogbud

Love the two current hogs but doubt they have NBA careers that Sid, Boot, Walker and Roberson have.

Letsroll1200

Todd Day and Lee Mayberry was first round draft picks. Macon and Barford are good but they are not MayDay.

Hogcephus

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 01, 2018, 03:06:56 pm
Todd Day and Lee Mayberry was first round draft picks. Macon and Barford are good but they are not MayDay.

This times 1000!

MtPorker

Fan701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 01, 2018, 03:06:56 pm
You might be right, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it just yet.  Barford was coming on strong by the end of last year and is hugely improved this year.  Remember how pathetic he was against Florida in the SEC opener a year ago?  He looked totally overwhelmed. What a difference a year makes!  Macon is better this year, too.  These two are late bloomers, but the bloom is pretty impressive.  If they keep it up, and we win lots of games, the NBA will notice.  Both Mayberry and Day had journeyman NBA careers, despite their high draft positions.  It's too early yet to say two twenty-two year old kids who are showing these kinds of skills don't have a shot at the NBA, even if they might not go in the first round.  We'll find out how it plays out over the next few months.

labb

Never said that Barford/Macon were as good as MayDay, only that offensively as a pair, they reminded me of them. So Being as it is a slow day I looked up their stats the Sr. year...Granted that Barford/Macon are just starting the year...Mayberry averaged 15.2 pts. Day averaged 22.7. to date Barford is averaging 19.3 pts. and Macon is averaging 14.3. that is pretty close to the same.

3of5-2

Numbers tend to go down when conference play starts.

Willyboy

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 01, 2018, 04:20:20 pm
Numbers tend to go down when conference play starts.

Kinda like their low numbers on Saturday?

3of5-2

Quote from: Willyboy on January 01, 2018, 04:27:17 pm
Kinda like their low numbers on Saturday?
I doubt we play overtime in all of the remaining games.

Fan701

Quote from: labb on January 01, 2018, 04:12:42 pm
Never said that Barford/Macon were as good as MayDay, only that offensively as a pair, they reminded me of them. So Being as it is a slow day I looked up their stats the Sr. year...Granted that Barford/Macon are just starting the year...Mayberry averaged 15.2 pts. Day averaged 22.7. to date Barford is averaging 19.3 pts. and Macon is averaging 14.3. that is pretty close to the same.
Let me correct you.  Macon averages 16.7.  Otherwise, I agree with you.  Whether they are as good as May/Day or not can be argued about, but whether they are the best we've had since May/Day I don't think can be seriously argued about.  They should play more minutes in conference play and their numbers may well go up.  It didn't look as if conference play was going to slow them down on Saturday, and it didn't last year, either.

Fan701

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 01, 2018, 04:29:07 pm
May/Day played in overtime games, too, and both Macon and Barford were in the mid-twenties in points by the time we got to overtime.  I might add that Barford missed a lot of the first half because of foul trouble.

Lowdown

The current duo is good, but will not leave the impact that Moncrief/Brewer or MayDay left. Each went to a final four, Moncrief a last sec shot from another one and MayDay an elite eight. There's a reason Sports Illustrated had the cover of Moncrief as they proclaimed being "High on the Hogs." Again, these guys are good, they don't reside with the legends previously mentioned.

Fan701

Quote from: Lowdown on January 01, 2018, 04:49:00 pm
The current duo is good, but will not leave the impact that Moncrief/Brewer or MayDay left. Each went to a final four, Moncrief a last sec shot from another one and MayDay an elite eight. There's a reason Sports Illustrated had the cover of Moncrief as they proclaimed being "High on the Hogs." Again, these guys are good, they don't reside with the legends previously mentioned.
Well, I guess if you've already ruled out a possibility of a deep NCAA run for Barford and Macon, then I guess you can't be argued with.  The rest of us, at least me, might prefer to wait and see.

3of5-2

Quote from: Fan701 on January 01, 2018, 04:35:17 pm
May/Day played in overtime games, too, and both Macon and Barford were in the mid-twenties in points by the time we got to overtime.  I might add that Barford missed a lot of the first half because of foul trouble.
Not many overtime games at all. Conference teams will make other players beat them. If they continue to penetrate and get to the foul line, they will have the opportunity to put up good numbers. If they start relying on shooting 3's, the numbers will drop.

labb

Quote from: Lowdown on January 01, 2018, 04:49:00 pm
The fact that these two players have drug us out of the graveyard of basketball might put their importance right up there with the rest. They seem to be taking a gym that was all but dead and bringing it back to life. No one is making light of what those previously mentioned legends and they are legends did. Just that these two and this team is pretty special when you consider what we have had to endure the last decade or so.

Willyboy

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 01, 2018, 04:29:07 pm

Both had reached and surpassed their per game average before OT started...

Fan701

Quote from: tncbg on January 01, 2018, 04:57:44 pm
Barford has a shot at making an NBA roster, but Macon is a very long shot. Barford has the strength and quickness to get to the basket in the NBA. Macon is an excellent college player but I don't see the elite speed and quickness needed at his size. Regardless, both have what it takes to travel the world and get paid to play, and we are very fortunate to have them. Day was a 6'7-6'8 guard and Mayberry was a pure point guard. Not a fair comparison.
Day was a willowy 6'6" at most, about 185 pounds.  Great shooter. Prolific scorer. Barford is stronger and more explosive to the basket, though about three inches shorter.  Look, all these guys are or were great players.  I'm just saying, and I think others are too, that we haven't had guards this good since May/Day.  How far these guys take us remains to be seen.  As far as Macon's chances to make the NBA, here's a guy that people have said isn't going to make it at the next level since he was in high school.  They've all been wrong.  My impression of Macon is that of a guy with tremendous self-confidence, swagger even, and a powerful will to succeed, especially when people tell him he can't do it.  I would hesitate to bet against him.

3of5-2

Quote from: Willyboy on January 01, 2018, 05:43:59 pm
Both had reached and surpassed their per game average before OT started...
One conference game, see how the rest go.

Willyboy

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 01, 2018, 05:48:45 pm
One conference game, see how the rest go.

Alright, that's reasonable.  If we do well in conference play it will be mostly because they make it happen so I wouldn't be surprised if they stay at the same numbers they're at now.  Some of our home games will be wood shed beatings of lesser conference foes and their numbers will be great in games like that. 

JenksHawg

Except Mayberry was a pure point guard, and neither Barford/Macon are

Fan701

January 01, 2018, 06:04:52 pm #27 Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:21:35 pm by Fan701
Quote from: Willyboy on January 01, 2018, 05:55:23 pm
Alright, that's reasonable.  If we do well in conference play it will be mostly because they make it happen so I wouldn't be surprised if they stay at the same numbers they're at now.  Some of our home games will be wood shed beatings of lesser conference foes and their numbers will be great in games like that.
But Barford has shined in the games against the best teams:  19 v. Oklahoma, 21 v. UNC, 22 v. Minnesota, 28 v. Tennessee.  Macon hasn't been as consistently good, but part of that may be due to the injury he suffered early in the second half of the UNC game.  That clearly slowed him down for a week or two.  The day before the UNC injury, he dropped 27 on Oklahoma and, of course, dropped 33 on Tennessee last Saturday.  Those are top teams. So to expect these guys' numbers to go down against the best competition goes against the results so far.

Willyboy

Quote from: Fan701 on January 01, 2018, 06:04:52 pm
But Barford has shined in the games against the best teams:  19 v. Oklahoma, 21 v. UNC, 22 v. Minnesota, 28 v. Tennessee.  Macon hasn't been as consistently good, but part of that may be due to the injury he suffered early in the second half of the UNC game.  That clearly slowed him down for a week or two.  The day before the UNC injury, he dropped 27 on Oklahoma and, of course, dropped 33 on Tennessee last Saturday.  Those are top teams. So to expect these guys numbers to go down against the best competition goes against the results so far.

I totally agree.

Hogimus Prime

Day was listed as guard and a guard/forward.  He played more on the wing.  Mayberry started with Bowers most of time then Shepard his SR year. 

threeNout

Regardless of where he may rank among Hog greats, Barford is one of my all time favorite players.

pigroots

Moncrief is arguably the greatest hog ever. Ron Brewer sr was Mr. Clutch. No one is even close to these two. Delph, Robertson, Walker, and May/Day all were all American caliber. Not sure that Macon or Barford are quite at that level but not far from it. They are the keys in bringing Hog basketball back to relevance and will be fondly remembered for years to come for that

Letsroll1200

Barford and Macon will never compare to Day and Lee. This first half is all you need to know.

ThisTeetsTaken

These two remind me more of Pargo/Dean.   Day/Mayberry were on a different level than anybody we've had since Thurman/Beck.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

3of5-2

Quote from: Fan701 on January 01, 2018, 06:04:52 pm
But Barford has shined in the games against the best teams:  19 v. Oklahoma, 21 v. UNC, 22 v. Minnesota, 28 v. Tennessee.  Macon hasn't been as consistently good, but part of that may be due to the injury he suffered early in the second half of the UNC game.  That clearly slowed him down for a week or two.  The day before the UNC injury, he dropped 27 on Oklahoma and, of course, dropped 33 on Tennessee last Saturday.  Those are top teams. So to expect these guys' numbers to go down against the best competition goes against the results so far.
Just the second conference game, but I guess since M-State is not the best competition, Barford took a game off, and his numbers took a little hit. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just pointing out how tough conference games are, especially on the road. Also, you can't expect to get the same calls on the road, that you do at home.