Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Notes from DVH presser

Started by bulldog04, October 27, 2016, 06:41:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

Breakdown of DVH presser. Campbell is throwing 96-97 but will pitch at about 93-95.  Has worked on getting his body in better shape.  Knight is throwing 94-96 a lot this fall. He has put on weight and gotten stronger. Has a great slider.  Both throw strikes and can throw their breaking ball behind in the count.  They and McKinney will compete for starter roles.  Taco will be probably be a reliever but could contend for a starter role.  Loeske was up to 94-95 and will compete with Trevor Stephen for the closer role who is also a mid 90s guy who could also be starter.

My opinion after reading DVH quotes: We have several guys that will throw mid 90s this year after only have a couple last year.  I think the starters will be Knight, Campbell, McKinney.  Taco will fill that Brandon Moore role that can pitch whenever they need big outs.  No clear cut closer so it maybe closer by committee for a little while.  These guys along with Chadwick will make up our main nucleus of pitchers right now.  We have some young guys with good stuff but need work on command. We need a couple of lefties to emerge out of the several we have.

Dr. Starcs

Thanks for the update.

Here's hoping for a better 2017

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on October 27, 2016, 06:41:52 pm
Breakdown of DVH presser. Campbell is throwing 96-97 but will pitch at about 93-95.  Has worked on getting his body in better shape.  Knight is throwing 94-96 a lot this fall. He has put on weight and gotten stronger. Has a great slider.  Both throw strikes and can throw their breaking ball behind in the count.  They and McKinney will compete for starter roles.  Taco will be probably be a reliever but could contend for a starter role.  Loeske was up to 94-95 and will compete with Trevor Stephen for the closer role who is also a mid 90s guy who could also be starter.

My opinion after reading DVH quotes: We have several guys that will throw mid 90s this year after only have a couple last year.  I think the starters will be Knight, Campbell, McKinney.  Taco will fill that Brandon Moore role that can pitch whenever they need big outs.  No clear cut closer so it maybe closer by committee for a little while.  These guys along with Chadwick will make up our main nucleus of pitchers right now.  We have some young guys with good stuff but need work on command. We need a couple of lefties to emerge out of the several we have.

What are your thoughts on the lineup?

bulldog04

October 28, 2016, 03:40:50 pm #3 Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:19:10 pm by bulldog04
Quote from: Scott7703 on October 28, 2016, 01:47:07 pm

What are your thoughts on the lineup?
That is hard to predict.  In the Of there are several players that could play and a lot of combinations.  This lineup is based on the fact DVH gives upperclassmen a chance early.  The only 100% lock for being in the lineup and position IMO is Koch.  Bonfield will be in the lineup but could DH also.  Shaddy can play multiple positions.  Fletcher, Cole, Arledge, Spanberger, McFarland, and Benninghoff are battling in the OF and some at 1B also.
1. Arledge RF
2. Biggers SS
3. Bonfield LF
4. Koch C
5 Shaddy 3B
5. Spanberger 1B
7. Gates 2B
8. Benninghoff DH
9. Cole CF

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on October 28, 2016, 03:40:50 pm
That is hard to predict.  In the Of there are several players that could play and a lot of combinations.  This lineup is based on the fact DVH gives upperclassmen a chance early.  The only 100% lock for being in the lineup and position IMO is Koch.  Bonfield will be in the lineup but could DH also.  Shaddy can play multiple positions.  Fletcher, Cole, Arledge, Spanberger, McFarland, and Benninghoff are battling in the OF and some at 1B also.
1. Arledge RF
2. Biggers SS
3. Bonfield LF
4. Koch C
5 Shaddy 3B
5. Spanberger 1B
7. Gates 2B
8. Benninghoff
9. Cole CF

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking other than I expect Evan Lee in there in place of Benninghoff.

Kevin

he said fletcher was the best of. figure him to be in the starting line up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bulldog04

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 28, 2016, 03:49:00 pm

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking other than I expect Evan Lee in there in place of Benninghoff.
Yeah I struggled with that one.  I think JB will get a shot because he has been around and had a pretty good fall WS but who knows

Knot2brite

I really figured Shaddy would be moving to second. I thought I read somewhere that DVH said that would probably be his position in the pros and was going to give him a shot there
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Kevin

he mentioned shaddy at second, he basically said he could play anywhere. right now, if arm comes around he is the back up catcher
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bulldog04

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 29, 2016, 12:58:38 am
I really figured Shaddy would be moving to second. I thought I read somewhere that DVH said that would probably be his position in the pros and was going to give him a shot there
He probably will play 2nd some.  Gates is a great hitter and played 2nd and 1st some in the Fall WS.  His bat will be hard to keep out of the lineup.  So we could see the combination of Gates at 1B, Shaddy 2b, Burch or Scroggins at 3rd.  We also have Jaxon Williams and Hunter Wilson that could play infield.

ucahogfan

Here are my thoughts on the lineup:

1.  Jake Arledge - RF - DVH talked about how he was one of the two most improved players on our team this fall.  He can be the ideal leadoff hitter for what is shaping up to be one of our most potent lineups under DVH IMO.  He should get on base at a .400+ clip and steal 25+ bases depending on how much DVH wants to run this year.  He also has some good pop from a guy of his size.

2.  Carson Shaddy - 2B - I think he starts out the year at 2B.  He is a great hitter in this lineup and should build off a great 2015 season.  One of several guys in our lineup which I think will hit 10+ HRs, he also could be a 10+ SB type guy.  He is a dynamic player who might be our best hitter this year.

3.  Luke Bonfield - LF - Getting him and Shaddy back after both being draft eligible is huge.  Another guy who will probably hit 10+ HRs, he is looking to build on why he was considered one of the best pure hitters in his class.  DVH is also impressed with how he has improved defensively.

4.  Chad Spanberger - DH - He will be the thunder in the middle of our lineup.  I think he could legitimately hit 20+ HRs this year depending on how pitchers throw to him this year.  He did show some patience last year, but he had a massive summer in California.

5.  Grant Koch - C - Along with Arledge, he is the other guy DVH has said experienced the biggest jump this year.  He showed a lot of promise last year as a true freshman and raked this fall.  He is the 4th guy in this lineup which I think can hit 10+ HRs which would make us one of the deeper power lineups in the country.

6.  Jared Gates - 1B - I'm basing having him at 1B based on he played some during the Fall WS with Carson Shaddy at 2B.  He was an excellent hitter at JUCO last year and I'm expecting him to have a big impact in our lineup this year.  He might not have the double digit HR pop a lot of our lineup has, but I think he adds some extra base pop.

7.  Blake Wiggins - 3B - It has been a long road for Wiggins and a long fall after he got hurt.  He had a very solid season last year in Nevada and hopefully can man 3B defensively.  I think he is the 5th guy on this offense who can hit 10+ HRs if he plays up to his full potential and could switch spots in the lineup with Koch if DVH wants to hide Koch down in the lineup.

8.  Dominic Fletcher - CF - Our best OF defensively probably means he gets the first chance in CF this year.  Having a weapon out there is big time.  He also hit over .500 during the Fall WS and DVH said he hit 5 HRs during fall ball so he has some pop.  I don't think we can also discount his experience over the summer playing against the summer competition as Spanberger and Arledge.

9.  Jax Biggers - SS - I think he gets the first crack at SS and he had a pretty good Fall WS.  He had a good year at JUCO last year, but it speaks to the depth of the lineup that he is in the 9 hole.

It was also great to hear DVH mention 95+ on just about every pitcher who was going to see significant time in SEC play.  While they probably won't sit 95+ as a starter all the time, but having several pitchers who have that in the tank is great to have.  While it only appears that Campbell and Knight have a position locked down, it is good to know that we have McKinney, Taco, Loseke, Stephan, and Chadwick there to fill in a variety of roles to have us go 7 deep with dependable arms before getting into the younger guys.

I'm also excited to see Evan Lee's career on the Hill.  It appears that he can be a legit two way threat over the next 3 years.  While he only sits 91-92 right now, he has hit 95 and DVH thinks he will see plenty of ABs this year and even play some OF.

This is an exciting time for the Hogs and I think we will be back next year to the level we are used too with DVH.

Dr. Starcs

I think Biggers hits 10-12 home runs this year.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 29, 2016, 06:55:31 pm
Here are my thoughts on the lineup:

1.  Jake Arledge - RF - DVH talked about how he was one of the two most improved players on our team this fall.  He can be the ideal leadoff hitter for what is shaping up to be one of our most potent lineups under DVH IMO.  He should get on base at a .400+ clip and steal 25+ bases depending on how much DVH wants to run this year.  He also has some good pop from a guy of his size.

2.  Carson Shaddy - 2B - I think he starts out the year at 2B.  He is a great hitter in this lineup and should build off a great 2015 season.  One of several guys in our lineup which I think will hit 10+ HRs, he also could be a 10+ SB type guy.  He is a dynamic player who might be our best hitter this year.

3.  Luke Bonfield - LF - Getting him and Shaddy back after both being draft eligible is huge.  Another guy who will probably hit 10+ HRs, he is looking to build on why he was considered one of the best pure hitters in his class.  DVH is also impressed with how he has improved defensively.

4.  Chad Spanberger - DH - He will be the thunder in the middle of our lineup.  I think he could legitimately hit 20+ HRs this year depending on how pitchers throw to him this year.  He did show some patience last year, but he had a massive summer in California.

5.  Grant Koch - C - Along with Arledge, he is the other guy DVH has said experienced the biggest jump this year.  He showed a lot of promise last year as a true freshman and raked this fall.  He is the 4th guy in this lineup which I think can hit 10+ HRs which would make us one of the deeper power lineups in the country.

6.  Jared Gates - 1B - I'm basing having him at 1B based on he played some during the Fall WS with Carson Shaddy at 2B.  He was an excellent hitter at JUCO last year and I'm expecting him to have a big impact in our lineup this year.  He might not have the double digit HR pop a lot of our lineup has, but I think he adds some extra base pop.

7.  Blake Wiggins - 3B - It has been a long road for Wiggins and a long fall after he got hurt.  He had a very solid season last year in Nevada and hopefully can man 3B defensively.  I think he is the 5th guy on this offense who can hit 10+ HRs if he plays up to his full potential and could switch spots in the lineup with Koch if DVH wants to hide Koch down in the lineup.

8.  Dominic Fletcher - CF - Our best OF defensively probably means he gets the first chance in CF this year.  Having a weapon out there is big time.  He also hit over .500 during the Fall WS and DVH said he hit 5 HRs during fall ball so he has some pop.  I don't think we can also discount his experience over the summer playing against the summer competition as Spanberger and Arledge.

9.  Jax Biggers - SS - I think he gets the first crack at SS and he had a pretty good Fall WS.  He had a good year at JUCO last year, but it speaks to the depth of the lineup that he is in the 9 hole.

It was also great to hear DVH mention 95+ on just about every pitcher who was going to see significant time in SEC play.  While they probably won't sit 95+ as a starter all the time, but having several pitchers who have that in the tank is great to have.  While it only appears that Campbell and Knight have a position locked down, it is good to know that we have McKinney, Taco, Loseke, Stephan, and Chadwick there to fill in a variety of roles to have us go 7 deep with dependable arms before getting into the younger guys.

I'm also excited to see Evan Lee's career on the Hill.  It appears that he can be a legit two way threat over the next 3 years.  While he only sits 91-92 right now, he has hit 95 and DVH thinks he will see plenty of ABs this year and even play some OF.

This is an exciting time for the Hogs and I think we will be back next year to the level we are used too with DVH.
Similar lineup except you have Fletcher and Wiggins in place of Cole and Benninghoff.  I actually forgot about Wiggins since he didn't play in the fall WS. 

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on October 29, 2016, 07:38:32 pm
Similar lineup except you have Fletcher and Wiggins in place of Cole and Benninghoff.  I actually forgot about Wiggins since he didn't play in the fall WS. 

Van horn has said wiggins won't make roster due to his injury or at least that is what I read. I really hope we keep a spot for him. Believe he will help. I like UCa lineup. Think we could be pretty solid on offense. I also won't be surprised if McFarland finds time as well and Evan lee.

Piggage

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 29, 2016, 07:11:24 pm
I think Biggers hits 10-12 home runs this year.

No! We're not supposed to start these jokes until Thanksgiving...you know, when it's roughly 10-12 weeks before the season starts.

PigWig

Any word on Rogers or the kid from Chicago?

PorkRyan

I think Hunter Wilson will end up starting at 3rd.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRyan on October 31, 2016, 01:31:01 pm
I think Hunter Wilson will end up starting at 3rd.

Yep, I don't think Wiggins will make the cut, due to his surgery.

HogCentral

Freshman Jack Kenley took reps at 3rd this Fall.  Does he look to be in the mix at all?

SlickRick

Quote from: HogCentral on November 02, 2016, 03:38:12 pm
Freshman Jack Kenley took reps at 3rd this Fall.  Does he look to be in the mix at all?

I think he will redshirt along with blair and Bailey

BroyledNutts

Hope Shaddy isn't at 3rd ... he doesn't have the reaction time or reach to really be a formidable 3rd baseman.

I like a hot corner that's long, like Fic was, a quick reaction time, and a cannon of an arm for those one handed outs to first on a bunt or to start a 6-4-3... Shaddy doesn't have those attributes - he's more compact, like Bigham was, with enough speed to get to a ball up the middle or to the hole at second. I watched Shaddy play some 3rd, and his glove skills are not up to hot corner needs. He does have what it takes to play back at 2nd.

I hope he's utilized there.

PigWig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 09, 2016, 02:09:03 pm
Hope Shaddy isn't at 3rd ... he doesn't have the reaction time or reach to really be a formidable 3rd baseman.

I like a hot corner that's long, like Fic was, a quick reaction time, and a cannon of an arm for those one handed outs to first on a bunt or to start a 6-4-3... Shaddy doesn't have those attributes - he's more compact, like Bigham was, with enough speed to get to a ball up the middle or to the hole at second. I watched Shaddy play some 3rd, and his glove skills are not up to hot corner needs. He does have what it takes to play back at 2nd.

I know you're not strictly talking arm strength, but remember Shaddy was also like 7-8 months removed from TJ last year.  I bet he has a lot more arm strength this year, though I don't disagree with your other points. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 09, 2016, 02:09:03 pm

Not sure if we have a returner that fits that mold. Haven't seen any of the new guys, but it would have to be one of them.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 10, 2016, 02:58:04 pm
Not sure if we have a returner that fits that mold. Haven't seen any of the new guys, but it would have to be one of them.

Yeah I don't think we have a returner like that either ... some new blood will have to step up - or we're gonna need one hell of a left fielder...

BroyledNutts

Quote from: PigWig on November 10, 2016, 09:29:10 am
I know you're not strictly talking arm strength, but remember Shaddy was also like 7-8 months removed from TJ last year.  I bet he has a lot more arm strength this year, though I don't disagree with your other points. 

I had forgotten his TJ surgery ... I hope he's recovering well, as we'll need him to be 100% if he's at 3rd.