Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 30, 2016, 07:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott7703

Quote from: jry04 on June 10, 2016, 07:33:34 pm
I just hesitate to trust a juco like Gates, and Shaddy needs a position. DVH said he is going to likely try Shaddy there. I think Williams is going to be a great fielder, but not sure about his bat. McFarland and Fletcher should hit from day 1.

I get that but that kid put up crazy numbers. Where do you think Shaddy plays? To me the safest place is the outfield for him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 10, 2016, 09:39:21 pm
I get that but that kid put up crazy numbers. Where do you think Shaddy plays? To me the safest place is the outfield for him.
But where does he fit in the OF with Bonfield coming back and Fletcher and McFarland coming in?  Maybe he can stick at 2B where his bat would play big time.  Gates might be able to handle 3B, but I think Williams is the guy who needs to take hold of the SS spot.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 10, 2016, 06:57:50 pm
I like Gates, McFarland, Williams and fletcher. Think all four start in the field for us. I'm not sure on the pitching but have heard good things about Benninghoff and lefty whose name slips myind now.
You are probably thinking of Lucas Krull out of the KC area like Benninghoff.  He is a guy who could easily throw mid 90s by the time his career at Arkansas is over.  He is a 6-7 LHP who has only gotten better.

Also don't forget about Heiss who has hit 96 at a PBR event and played in the Under Armour All American Game.  DVH wants to make it to where Taco throws 95 as a closer.  Just think about Heiss throwing mid 90s as a setup guy next year.

JHicks3636

I'm ready for the next season to start. I've licked my wounds from this year.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 10, 2016, 10:26:49 pm
You are probably thinking of Lucas Krull out of the KC area like Benninghoff.  He is a guy who could easily throw mid 90s by the time his career at Arkansas is over.  He is a 6-7 LHP who has only gotten better.

Also don't forget about Heiss who has hit 96 at a PBR event and played in the Under Armour All American Game.  DVH wants to make it to where Taco throws 95 as a closer.  Just think about Heiss throwing mid 90s as a setup guy next year.

If Taco throws 95 next year, then our new pitching coach will deserve a raise.

jry04

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 10, 2016, 09:39:21 pm
I guess it all depends on who makes it to campus. If Cole comes alive at the plate like we expect, then the OF could be crowded with Cole, Bonfield, Shaddy, Fletcher, Simms, Benninghoff, Spanberger, McFarland and whoever else I am forgetting. Spanberger may play move to 1B, and Shaddy could have an Eagan type season where he moves around a lot depending on the matchup.

McFarland could play 1st or 3rd even. He did in HS and at some events. If McFarland, Fletcher, and Gates are as good as advertised, then we could be adding 3 guys who hit .280-.300+ next year. McFarland and Fletcher would be two of the best hitters we have had make it to campus in years outside of Bonfield. We see how good Bonfield is when healthy. Just as a comparison, Benintendi was barely a top 350 recruit by Perfect game, so that shows you the kind of potential these guys have coming in.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 11, 2016, 09:48:01 am
I guess it all depends on who makes it to campus. If Cole comes alive at the plate like we expect, then the OF could be crowded with Cole, Bonfield, Shaddy, Fletcher, Simms, Benninghoff, Spanberger, McFarland and whoever else I am forgetting. Spanberger may play move to 1B, and Shaddy could have an Eagan type season where he moves around a lot depending on the matchup.

McFarland could play 1st or 3rd even. He did in HS and at some events. If McFarland, Fletcher, and Gates are as good as advertised, then we could be adding 3 guys who hit .280-.300+ next year. McFarland and Fletcher would be two of the best hitters we have had make it to campus in years outside of Bonfield. We see how good Bonfield is when healthy. Just as a comparison, Benintendi was barely a top 350 recruit by Perfect game, so that shows you the kind of potential these guys have coming in.
I just don't see where Simms fits on this roster next year.  Sammy Blair is also coming in as a player in the 300s in the PG rankings and is a true plus plus runner with a 60 around 6.4.  Also, don't forget Arledge who started quite a bit this year.

I think you have to move Spanberger to 1B next year just to move someone out of the OF.  I think he also played some 1B his freshman year here and his bat would play big time there.  He had a little breakout this year, but I think playing him every day will see him hit 15+ HRs and hit around .280.

I think McFarland projects more as a LF, but he could play CF for us next year.  He has the speed, but I think he projects more as a Spanberger type hitter as a lower average, but a lot of power type hitter.  I could be completely wrong with that, but his PG report is someone with elite raw power, but doesn't always consistently barrel balls up.

Fletcher will be our starter in RF next year.  He is elite defensively and has the tools to be a great offensive player as well.  I could see him profiling as someone like Benintendi without the speed, but a much better defender and stronger arm.  Don't know if we will see him hit 20 HRs either, but you never know.

Benintendi was held down in the PG rankings IMO due to the fact that he was a small school player and wasn't the biggest or fastest player.  DVH said that was the only reason he ever made it to campus.

I think you need Shaddy either at 2B or at DH next year while Koch will be at C.  DVH did mention an INF out of Illinois in the postseason PC which I am assuming is probably Matt Burch so he could potentially play 2B for us while Gates starts for us as well.

ucahogfan

Tyler Benninghoff is off the board in the 11th round to the Twins.

dotnet

This makes me nervous... But better than him going in the top ten. Hopefully this is just an insurance policy for the twins and one they they don't need and are unable to cash in on

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 11, 2016, 11:48:31 am
This makes me nervous... But better than him going in the top ten. Hopefully this is just an insurance policy for the twins and one they they don't need and are unable to cash in on
Hopefully he wants to play with his brother, and also understands how high he could go in 3 years. MLB.com says he is a top 3 round talent right now if healthy. Hopefully the Twins don't get many of their top 10 to sign for under slot value, so they don't have a lot of excess in their bonus pool and can't offer him top 5 round money.

pork in the whiskers

jry04

No idea what to think about Taco in the 16th. Surprised he went that high. They probably offer him 10th rd money, which is probably his ceiling.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 11, 2016, 12:07:48 pm
Hopefully he wants to play with his brother, and also understands how high he could go in 3 years. MLB.com says he is a top 3 round talent right now if healthy. Hopefully the Twins don't get many of their top 10 to sign for under slot value, so they don't have a lot of excess in their bonus pool and can't offer him top 5 round money.
I think the Twins selected high school players with just all of their picks on Thursday so there might not be a ton of wiggle room.  It might be all about building a relationship for the 2019 draft.  I think he only threw like 1 inning this spring because of injury so why sign?

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 12:19:47 pm
I think the Twins selected high school players with just all of their picks on Thursday so there might not be a ton of wiggle room.  It might be all about building a relationship for the 2019 draft.  I think he only threw like 1 inning this spring because of injury so why sign?
Agreed. He will have a very good shot of making 7 figures out of college, so they better offer quite a bit to get him, in my opinion.

Just saw Eagan, Stobbe, and Jackson all said they are signing to no surprise.

The fact that none of our other guys have been drafted so far tells me they are coming back. I personally expect us to lose the 4 selected yesterday and Taco, but nothing more. If that is the case, I would be doing backflips if I were DVH.

ucahogfan

Former Hogs who have been drafted today include Colin Poche (14th round to the DBacks), Chris Falwell (16th round to the Giants), and Keith Grieshaber (16th round to the Angels).  Would have been nice to have all of them this year or especially Grieshaber for next year at SS.

ucahogfan

Newly known JUCO signee RHP Trevor Stephan is taken in the 18th round by the Red Sox.  Not sure what to think about that.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 11, 2016, 12:23:31 pm
Agreed. He will have a very good shot of making 7 figures out of college, so they better offer quite a bit to get him, in my opinion.

The fact that none of our other guys have been drafted so far tells me they are coming back. I personally expect us to lose the 4 selected yesterday and Taco, but nothing more. If that is the case, I would be doing backflips if I were DVH.
Fully agree with you.  He is a guy who could easily have two plus pitches in his fastball and curve out of college and could be a 1st round pick.  He should hold out.

And this is about as well as DVH could have hoped the draft to go.  We are getting a top 5 class to campus even losing Stobbe and Rortvedt along with getting our top two hitters back who were both draft eligible.  We are going to be good next year.

hawgcraZ

Quote from: jry04 on June 11, 2016, 12:23:31 pm

Could you point me to where you read this?  Just curious to read their thoughts on being drafted

jry04

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 11, 2016, 12:29:12 pm
Could you point me to where you read this?  Just curious to read their thoughts on being drafted

It wont let me link it because it says Eric Bolin was spamming his articles.

Arkansas news.com and then click on the headlines on the right. Says something about Eagan and Jackson gone. Interesting to hear how Eagan's day went. He had no idea he was going, but the Pirates called him early in the day and asked if he would sign.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 12:27:00 pm
Newly known JUCO signee RHP Trevor Stephan is taken in the 18th round by the Red Sox.  Not sure what to think about that.
I don't even know who that is. Supposed to be pretty good?

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 11, 2016, 12:42:27 pm
I don't even know who that is. Supposed to be pretty good?
I haven't done much research on him, but he looks to be a jack of all trades reliever.  In 29 appearances (1 start) for Hill JC this year, he went 8-1 with 5 saves in 68.2 IP.  His other stats are 2.88 ERA, 88 Ks, 51 H, 22 BB.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 11, 2016, 11:48:31 am
Jim Callis tends to agree with you because they probably called him to gauge interest.  I really hope he doesn't sign and makes it to campus and makes a lot of money in 2019.  DVH and Vitello should emphasize he is a top 2-3 round talent right now and could be a top 20 overall talent after three years of playing in the SEC.

ucahogfan

After 20 rounds, I would be shocked if anyone have had more players than Texas A&M selected.  They are currently sitting at 12 draftees which are:

Nick Banks - 4th round
Jace Vines - 4th round
Ryan Hendrix - 5th round
Mark Ecker - 5th round
J. B. Moss - 7th round
Michael Barash - 9th round
Boomer White - 10th round
Andrew Vinson - 10th round
Ryne Birk - 13th round
Kyle Simonds - 14th round
Hunter Melton - 18th round
Brigham Hill - 20th round

ucahogfan

Former Hog Nathan Rodriguez is drafted by the Brewers in the 21st round.  Wish he could have played here.

ucahogfan

Torii Hunter announced the selection of his son, Torii Hunter Jr. from Norte Dame, to the Angels in like the 22nd round.

Knot2brite

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 01:07:24 pm
After 20 rounds, I would be shocked if anyone have had more players than Texas A&M selected.  They are currently sitting at 12 draftees which are:

Nick Banks - 4th round
Jace Vines - 4th round
Ryan Hendrix - 5th round
Mark Ecker - 5th round
J. B. Moss - 7th round
Michael Barash - 9th round
Boomer White - 10th round
Andrew Vinson - 10th round
Ryne Birk - 13th round
Kyle Simonds - 14th round
Hunter Melton - 18th round
Brigham Hill - 20th round
They also had Dillon Drabble ( one of their recruits) go in the 17th round. He is from down here in Texarkana and may sign as well
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

ucahogfan

Blake Lillis is taken in the 25th round by the Brewers.  He is high school teammates with #4 overall pick Riley Pint.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 11, 2016, 01:41:32 pm
They also had Dillon Drabble ( one of their recruits) go in the 17th round. He is from down here in Texarkana and may sign as well
And they have had another player taken in the 21-30 round range.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 01:51:03 pm
Blake Lillis is taken in the 25th round by the Brewers.  He is high school teammates with #4 overall pick Riley Pint.
I didn't think he was one that would get selected.

ucahogfan

Former Hog Jean Ramirez is the 28th round selection by the Rays.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 11, 2016, 02:15:07 pm
I didn't think he was one that would get selected.
Me either, but maybe it means he is throwing well and can contribute as a freshman.

ucahogfan

Mike Bernal is the 29th round selection of the Giants.  Happy to see him drafted as he consistently improved during his time here at Arkansas.

ucahogfan

Brenden Heiss is selected by his hometown team, the Cubs, in the 31st round.

ucahogfan

The last time a signee was drafted in the 31st round by his hometown team and came to Arkansas, he won national POTY.

ucahogfan

Doug Willey is the 32nd round selection by the Angels.  Glad to see his move to SEC ball pay off for him.

ucahogfan

Former Hog Conor Costello is a 32nd round selection by the Dodgers.

ucahogfan

Arkansas HS player and DBU signee Luke Bandy is drafted by the Royals in the 32nd round.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 03:29:38 pm
Former Hog Conor Costello is a 32nd round selection by the Dodgers.
He broke his hamate bone is what ESPN keeps repeating

ucahogfan

Former Hog Trenton Hill is a 34th round selection by the Marlins.

ucahogfan

Jordan McFarland is a 36th round selection by the Nationals.

hawginbigd1

Shout out to David Martinelli going to the phillies at pick 167, DBU player, I work with his dad, went and watched him play a couple times. I love CBB and with DBU's nice little stadium less than 20 miles from the house it fills a void of getting to see some good CBB! Would rather go watch them than the Rangers any day.

dotnet

So we're looking at losing Eagan and Jackson for sure.  Then the two signees we knew were gone for sure.  Probably the Juco (a generality, no idea on this specific situation), and who knows on Benninghoff. 

ucahogfan

James Teague is the 37th round selection of the Orioles.

hawgcraZ

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 04:16:39 pm
Jordan McFarland is a 36th round selection by the Nationals.
[/quote

0 of the HS players selected in round 36 signed last year

hawgcraZ

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 03:18:55 pm
Brenden Heiss is selected by his hometown team, the Cubs, in the 31st round.

Only 1 HS player signed last year from the 31st round

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 11, 2016, 04:27:36 pm
So we're looking at losing Eagan and Jackson for sure.  Then the two signees we knew were gone for sure.  Probably the Juco (a generality, no idea on this specific situation), and who knows on Benninghoff.
Who knows about Stephan, but his name was really just released leading up to the draft, or at least that is when I found out about him.

I really think we get Benninghoff unless the Twins save a lot of money.  I'm just not seeing it with them taking 5 high school players in the first 5 rounds (7 picks) and only 3 college seniors.  They might save 500K on those seniors (one was in the 4th round) which will probably be used to sign the high school players.

I would say the draft has gone just about as well as we could have hoped like others have said.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 11, 2016, 04:29:16 pm
Only 1 HS player signed last year from the 31st round
I would be shocked if Heiss signs.  The Cubs only have like 2.8M in their bonus pool so there is not much flexibility at all.  It's all about building a relationship.

hawgcraZ

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 04:32:35 pm
Who knows about Stephan, but his name was really just released leading up to the draft, or at least that is when I found out about him.

I really think we get Benninghoff unless the Twins save a lot of money.  I'm just not seeing it with them taking 5 high school players in the first 5 rounds (7 picks) and only 3 college seniors.  They might save 500K on those seniors (one was in the 4th round) which will probably be used to sign the high school players.

I would say the draft has gone just about as well as we could have hoped like others have said.

Hopefully the money works in our favor.  There were 2 of 11 HS guys that made it to college from the 11th round last year.  We will be sweating this one out for a bit

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 11, 2016, 12:19:47 pm

I have no idea whats up with this situation, but you normally don't use the 11th pick for the building relationships angle.  That usually comes where the other signees are being taken -25th plus rounds. 

I am assuming that benninghoff's number is over a million, otherwise he would have been taken earlier in the draft - as a potential steal in the second half of day two. 

Twins situation: 

They have an 8M pool.  The twins drafted 4 high schoolers in the first 2 rounds.  Then they drafted a high schooler in the fifth round.  All others (in the top ten) were college players.  The 9th and 10th round were college seniors. 

Most likely scenario:

They had a plan to draft tougher signs, high ceiling players, early in the draft.  Then draft guys who would be easier signs later to help divert money to the high schoolers.  At the end of day two, they realized they had a little money left over and called around for the best prospect they could who would fit within their budget. 

A potential scenario:

Maybe they want insurance on their plan.  Maybe they're iffy on the fifth rounder who has a slot of about 350k, which means they lose 250k over the standard 100k value if he doesn't sign.  If they were planning to pay him 1.5M, maybe they found out benninghoff would sign for 1.25M.  They select him as insurance in case it doesn't work out. 

Either way, getting him to campus with all the others drafted after the 10th round would be huge for Arkansas.

dotnet

I'm not worried about Shaddy and gates.  The last few years we've been worried about where all of the offensive players are going to play because the team is deeper every year.  And unfortunately, that never seems to be the problem.

If Shady can play second, that seems to be a win win for everyone though with his bat.  He could be an all american second baseman if he continues to improve with the bat like he has done every year on campus.