Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi in the Minors...Majors Now

Started by JHicks3636, April 05, 2016, 10:42:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

theFlyingHog

Great swing. Love seeing him rip one out to take the lead

flippinhogmana

it was a shot, first post season hit, first post season home run!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

JHicks3636

October 06, 2016, 09:08:47 pm #403 Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:29:52 am by JHicks3636
Youngest Red Sox player to homer in his first post season at-bat. In fact youngest Red Sox to homer in any post season game.

JHicks3636

Makes a defensive mistake by catching a ball in left and not getting it back to the infield allowing a catcher to tag at first and make it to 2nd. Runner later scores. I bet you never see him do that again.

SemperHawg

Big base hit there...even if it's not enough nice two out single brings up the top of the order.

hoglady

Tough loss for the Sox - but they had 2 chances with a man in scoring position in the 8th and couldn't bring him home - then failed to move Benintendi in the 9th.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Iwastherein1969

Andrew, tonight, if there was any doubts left, cemented his place in the every day line up of the Red Sox.....I'm so proud for Benintendi because the kid came here and basically was a wash his first season...then he sought Van Horn's advice on what he should do to improve for his sophomore year, or which Summer league he should go play in...and DVH told him to hang around Fayetteville, work hard on getting your body stronger and with the confidence you'll gain by getting bigger you'll start hitting again...well Benintendi took DVH's sound advice, stayed in Fayetteville and worked hard....and well, you know the rest from there, Golden Spikes Award (college baseball's Heisman) and getting drafted #7 over-all by the Red Sox....the kid has earned it and once again, this is what can happen when talent meets a smart coach....if we could just get another two or three like him
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

southarkhog06

With him Keuchal, Smyly, McCann, and Lee, is there another college out there whose players have had more MLB success this decade?

JHicks3636

Turns out that Benintendi is the 3rd youngest player in MLB history to homer in his first post season at-bat.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 07, 2016, 10:22:29 am
Turns out that Benintendi is the 3rd youngest player in MLB history to homer in his first post season at-bat.

and youngest redsox to do so
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hoglady

I'm looking forward to long, successful Red Sox career for Benintendi.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

flippinhogmana

the game is one tbs this afternoon (I believe right now), I have it set to record

JHicks3636

Benintendi moved up to 7th in today's batting order.

Dr. Starcs

Shame we couldn't get it done with some of those guys.

JHicks3636

Benintendi goes 0-3 but has plenty of company as the Red Sox had only 3 hits on the game. He put the ball in play to the outfield in each at-bat.

hoglady

Well - I was sure looking forward to a trip to Dallas to watch some of the ALCS between the Rangers and the Red Sox.
It's gonna take a freaking miracle now as both are down 2 games to none.

trippigs

He just woke up the crowd with a double and rbi.....got them on the board

JHicks3636

Amazingly he gets pinch hit for in the 7th. He was 1-2 today and 3-9 in the series. He had the 2nd highest average of any Red Sox player in the series. His replacement did walk, but still...

HogsonHicks

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 10, 2016, 07:57:18 pm
Amazingly he gets pinch hit for in the 7th. He was 1-2 today and 3-9 in the series. He had the 2nd highest average of any Red Sox player in the series. His replacement did walk, but still...

Agreed, then they left Bradley, Jr. in the game to K on 3 pitches.  They pinch hit for the wrong lefty that inning.

hoglady

Quote from: HogsonHicks on October 10, 2016, 08:03:48 pm
Agreed, then they left Bradley, Jr. in the game to K on 3 pitches.  They pinch hit for the wrong lefty that inning.

Benintendi was seeing the ball pretty good.
Jackie Bradley, Jr. isn't seeing the ball at all - but I guess they didn't want to lose Bradley's defense in Centerfield.

JHicks3636

The season ends for Benintendi and the Red Sox. First I want to thank everyone who followed this thread and put up with my posting. Secondly, I want to thank all of you great baseball fans that posted updates and info on Benintendi. Finally, this thread will be here for anyone to update with off-season info on Benintendi. In February when teams again report, we can crank it back up full time with hopefully a full season to follow our Razorback.

hoglady

Very sad to see the end of David Ortiz' career.
What a great ambassador for the Red Sox and baseball in general.
A player with a lot of class and one of my all time favorite Red Sox players.
"Big Papi" will be missed.

311Hog

dude was a monster, first ballot hall of famer to me.  the game will miss Big Papi.  They talked about the 3 B's last night taking over but did not include Benni i think that is a mistake.

jbell96

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 10, 2016, 07:57:18 pm

Lots of people in Boston not happy about them pulling Benny for Chris Young, who isn't that good. Benny would have had a better match up than Young did in the 9th against Cleveland's closer. He was one of the few Red Sox hitting well in the series, so taking him out was not a good idea.

Happy that Benny got his feet wet in the postseason & that he was able to play at a high level while doing so.

hoglady

Quote from: 311Hog on October 11, 2016, 09:02:15 am
dude was a monster, first ballot hall of famer to me.  the game will miss Big Papi.  They talked about the 3 B's last night taking over but did not include Benni i think that is a mistake.

I caught that, too.
If Benni continues to play well next year he will be included and it will become the 4 B's.

jesterzzn

Most print media include Benintendi in the list of players that form the core for the future.  I was mildly suprised to see Buster Olney and Peter King both lose their darn over Benintendi being pinch hit for in the 7th. 

He's not an All-Star, but he is getting All-Star type media treatment from some of the biggest names in Baseball media.  Like I pointed out when he was called up, by virtue of his team and position alone he will garner attention well beyond his accomplishments (positive or negative).  Most people have already penciled him in as playing in front of the monster for the next ten years.  I am just proud as can be that he's a UA product.

It's an interesting coincidence that both the Dallas Cowboys QB and the Red Sox LF are both not only manned by Rookies, but by Rookies that are absolutely killing it.  The bonus for Benintendi is that he will get to be a Rookie all year again next year.

JHicks3636

To show how much the Red Sox must think of Benintendi, they just sent their #1 prospect Moncada and three other players to the White Sox for Chris Sales. I assume it could have been Benintendi just as easily. It may demonstrate the Red Sox reasoning that they needed outfield help rather than a 2nd baseman as they were set at that position.

Dropkick

As a Red Sox fan I am thrilled they got Sale without giving up Benintendi.

hoglady

Quote from: Dropkick on December 06, 2016, 03:26:03 pm
As a Red Sox fan I am thrilled they got Sale without giving up Benintendi.

When I first saw they got Sale - the first thing I thought was they'd given up Benintendi to do it.
I was happily relieved to see it was Moncada.

jesterzzn

Quote from: JHicks3636 on December 06, 2016, 01:35:49 pm
To show how much the Red Sox must think of Benintendi, they just sent their #1 prospect Moncada and three other players to the White Sox for Chris Sales. I assume it could have been Benintendi just as easily. It may demonstrate the Red Sox reasoning that they needed outfield help rather than a 2nd baseman as they were set at that position.

I don't know if Benintendi was available or not, but I'm going to bet they regret giving up Moncada for anyone five years from now. 

PintailKiller

Quote from: jesterzzn on December 07, 2016, 10:56:27 pm
I don't know if Benintendi was available or not, but I'm going to bet they regret giving up Moncada for anyone five years from now. 

Maybe, but they believe that they can win it all now.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

JHicks3636

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

JHicks3636

This may be too much to expect in his first full year, but it goes to show how much people think of Benintendi. I just hope the pressure on him does not build too much.
http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/77579/way-too-early-2017-mlb-all-star-rosters

PintailKiller

Quote from: JHicks3636 on February 23, 2017, 05:48:43 pm
Nice article on Benintendi
http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/51839/the-secret-to-andrew-benintendis-swing-crushing-tennis-balls-with-dad

"He looks like freakin' Marty McFly, to tell you the truth. He's not a big guy, but the ball jumps off his bat -- easily. And that's what I like."
Best quote in the article.

JHicks3636

Benintendi goes 0-2 (pop to catcher;ground out to short) with a BB in his first Spring Training game. He batted in the 2nd spot of the line-up.

SPAL

I was watching the Yanks and phils preseason baseball and the announcer said AB was the odds on favorite for rookie of the year.

PintailKiller

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 24, 2017, 08:15:01 pm
I was watching the Yanks and phils preseason baseball and the announcer said AB was the odds on favorite for rookie of the year.
Did you see that bomb that Aaron Judge hit?  Kid has some pop.

JHicks3636

March 03, 2017, 02:17:08 pm #442 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:34:35 pm by JHicks3636
Just a Spring training update on Benintendi. After a slow start with a couple of hitless games, Benintendi went 2-3 with a 2-run homer last game. Today he is 4-4 with a single, 2 doubles and a homer. He has 3 rbis today. Presently hitting .400. He has pretty much been platooning every other game with Young in left field.

AirForceHog

Came storming back. Save some of that for the real season.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

jvanhorn

Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 03, 2017, 02:17:08 pm
Just a Spring training update on Benintendi. After a slow start with a couple of hitless games, Benintendi went 2-3 with a 2-run homer last game. Today he is 4-4 with a single, 2 doubles and a homer. He has 3 rbis today. Presently hitting .400. He has pretty much been platooning every other game with Young in left field.

If he plays like he is capable of playing he will be the American League Rookie of the Year.

JHicks3636

March 05, 2017, 12:38:01 pm #445 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:52:09 pm by JHicks3636
Boston continued its Young-Benintendi platooning in left yesterday as Young played and Benny didn't. In his first at bat today Benintendi with another double. Spending most of Spring training hitting out of the #2 spot in the order. Flies out to center in the 3rd. In the 5th drives in a run with another double, then scores on a Betts' double. Out of the game for today so no more at bats.

CJ HOG

AB just hit a 3 run bomb in his 3rd at bat of opening day!

WPS!

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

JHicks3636

Homerun tracker put Benintendi's dinger at 386 feet.