Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mediocrity.............

Started by Tweeter, February 21, 2018, 01:46:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

Never thought i'd see the day when Mediocrity was the standard for Arkansas Basketball :puke:

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

99toLife

Quote from: Tweeter on February 21, 2018, 01:46:06 pm
Never thought i'd see the day when Mediocrity was the standard for Arkansas Basketball :puke:

Who told you it was?

BannerMountainMan

Same ole same posts atleast add some facts to it
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawgfan4life

Watch much the last 22 years?

Kevin

that is what happens when you hire a guy everyone likes, and they have been told over & over again, this is the best we can do.

the Arkansas fan base has been dumbed down to believe this is the best we can do
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

redhogchilipepper

Where you been? Before Anderson we were not even mediocre. This is a good team and just got beat last night. It's happened to the top three teams lately

GA reddiehog

What will all the MA supporters say when the Hogs lose the last three games and miss the NCAA tourney????  It very well could happen but hopefully not.

99toLife

Quote from: GA reddiehog on February 21, 2018, 03:56:46 pm
What will all the MA supporters say when the Hogs lose the last three games and miss the NCAA tourney????  It very well could happen but hopefully not.

Just wait till next year if history repeats itself on here.

hamARchy in the USA

It became the standard the day Jeff Long hired MA.  If it wasn't a new standard then MA would've been fired years ago.

Broyles hired proven winners.  White hired gambles.  Long hired a coach who had already proven he was not ready for prime time.  Everything that needed to be known about MA was already known.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on February 21, 2018, 03:52:35 pm
Where you been? Before Anderson we were not even mediocre. This is a good team and just got beat last night. It's happened to the top three teams lately

Its been a crazy year in college basketball. More unranked teams have beaten ranked teams this year than any other year, according to ESPN commentator yesterday.

Hogs up! Covid down!

99toLife

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 21, 2018, 04:11:19 pm
It became the standard the day Jeff Long hired MA.  If it wasn't a new standard then MA would've been fired years ago.

Broyles hired proven winners.  White hired gambles.  Long hired a coach who had already proven he was not ready for prime time.  Everything that needed to be known about MA was already known.

But the Hog fans and 90% of Hogville thought Mike was the Messiah and would take us to the top of the mountain. Screw the facts you Hog hater!  ;) ;)

Tweeter

Quote from: Kevin on February 21, 2018, 03:48:51 pm
that is what happens when you hire a guy everyone likes, and they have been told over & over again, this is the best we can do.

the Arkansas fan base has been dumbed down to believe this is the best we can do

you're exactly right........all we here is "oh we are good, just got beat"  or "it's hard to win on the road"   If this was the football program, the house would have been cleaned out already.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 04:15:55 pm
But the Hog fans and 90% of Hogville thought Mike was the Messiah and would take us to the top of the mountain. Screw the facts you Hog hater!  ;) ;)

I wanted Mike hired. It needed to happen so the dream could either come to life or die. Either way it needed to be done.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

cityhog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 21, 2018, 03:47:15 pm
Watch much the last 22 years?

my thoughts exactly. I was like 'uh, mediocrity has been the standard for a looooong time now'

rude1

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on February 21, 2018, 03:52:35 pm
This logic escapes me. Because we were bad before he got here and now he has raised the bar to mediocre, we should all be eternally grateful and he should be allowed to stay as long he wants as long as he never loses that all important "never had a losing season tag". Seven seasons into this thing and not a single season I would call memorable..............

Tweeter

Quote from: cityhog on February 21, 2018, 04:21:20 pm
my thoughts exactly. I was like 'uh, mediocrity has been the standard for a looooong time now'

well i understand what you are saying and yes it has been that way for a long time, but now that MA is hired everyone seems like this is as good as its gonna get.  That's what i cant stand.  Maybe my expectations are way off base for the basketball program.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 04:18:28 pm
I wanted Mike hired. It needed to happen so the dream could either come to life or die. Either way it needed to be done.

Why should the program have had to suffer because a small cult couldn't separate dream from nightmare ?  A competent AD would not have allowed that to happen.

rude1

I will say the same thing about the basketball team as I said about the football team, if this is the standard that we are happy with, then let's stop throwing money at the thing to appear we are interested in contending and winning championships. Let's reduce ticket prices, reduce the coaches salary, and start to trim the fat from the program, no point in building practice facilities or remodeling Bud Walton, when this is all we expect to achieve.

cityhog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 04:18:28 pm

Just a shame it's taking as long as it is for either to happen. Thrive or die. Thrive. or. Die.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 04:15:55 pm

I remember you getting ripped for being straight up about it.  The cult frenzy is petering out after being bludgeoned with reality.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 21, 2018, 04:27:33 pm
Why should the program have had to suffer because a small cult couldn't separate dream from nightmare ?  A competent AD would not have allowed that to happen.

It shouldn't have had to happen but there was gonna be a split fanbase until it did.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

arkansas1994

How many teams in todays game are not mediocre? Maybe the ones that cheat.  I really believe Arkansas will make the tournament this year. With the right matchups who knows what can happen.

rude1

Quote from: arkansas1994 on February 21, 2018, 04:48:13 pm
How many teams in todays game are not mediocre? Maybe the ones that cheat.  I really believe Arkansas will make the tournament this year. With the right matchups who knows what can happen.

Just curious why you believe this? Because when people say that and I look at what we have done this season and our tendencies, it would appear to me that getting in suddenly has become a daunting task.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Tweeter on February 21, 2018, 04:24:53 pm
well i understand what you are saying and yes it has been that way for a long time, but now that MA is hired everyone seems like this is as good as its gonna get.  That's what i cant stand.  Maybe my expectations are way off base for the basketball program.

Personally, to me it's more of Mike isn't as bad as the screamers say. Is he top notch? No. But his style can win and lose games he shouldn't. Last year, he showed that it's possible to advance in the tourney vs UNC. We missed some shots and had some HORRENDOUS calls against us, but he IS able to make a run in the tourney.

In my opinion, next year is the biggest year of his career. If we fall off the map, I think he's gone as our AD basically affirmed that coaches are here to win. If we fail to make the tourney this year, he'll be on the hot seat since this is one of the best teams he's had here. But I think we'll make the tourney and will withhold judgement to see what happens from there.

Bringing in a an up and comer is a 50-50 coin flip on success. I like what we have and don't want another Pelfrey era. That's my take.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

arkansas1994

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 04:54:55 pm
Just curious why you believe this? Because when people say that and I look at what we have done this season and our tendencies, it would appear to me that getting in suddenly has become a daunting task.

Just believe the team that won 4 in a row and 7 of 9 will be ok. I think to be solidly in we have to win 2 more games weather it be  tourney wins or regular season. Really think we beat Auburn and at least one more someway. This is a good team. 34 in RPI is not mediocre in my opinion.

cityhog

Quote from: arkansas1994 on February 21, 2018, 04:48:13 pm

Considering we are in the bubble yet again, I'd say there are at least 50-55 teams that aren't mediocre.

arkansas1994

Quote from: cityhog on February 21, 2018, 05:04:35 pm
Considering we are in the bubble yet again, I'd say there are at least 50-55 teams that aren't mediocre.
  And at least 16 of them are cheaters according to the FBI

Martygit

It has been ever since Holan left  :(
RIP OTR, REV

Athog

Yawn..new post! Wow this is the same story.  I do agree nothing changes.

Kevin

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 04:29:10 pm
I will say the same thing about the basketball team as I said about the football team, if this is the standard that we are happy with, then let's stop throwing money at the thing to appear we are interested in contending and winning championships. Let's reduce ticket prices, reduce the coaches salary, and start to trim the fat from the program, no point in building practice facilities or remodeling Bud Walton, when this is all we expect to achieve.

This exactly
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

arkansas1994

Brett was 11-29 in the Sec,  Mike is 68 - 53 SEC   no comparison

AHiD

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 21, 2018, 04:11:19 pm

Uhhhh what? Didn't MA get to, like, the Final Four @ Mizzou?
My name...is Jerruh

rude1

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 21, 2018, 07:13:05 pm
No he didn't.................

arkansas1994

Elite 8 in his 3rd year was his best

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 21, 2018, 07:13:05 pm

+1 for making me laugh.
Millennials suck...

arkansas1994

Everywhere Mike has been his winning percentage is almost the same  .68  at UAB .66 at Mizzou .66 here

HogsonHicks

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 04:29:10 pm

Agreed.  I'd rather throw all our resources at either football OR basketball and be successful at one (ala Bama in FB or Kentucky in BB) than continue to be mediocre at both.

If we're going to settle for being the Vandy of the west, then at least have the decency to raise a white flag and let the rest of us know.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Tweeter on February 21, 2018, 04:16:43 pm
you're exactly right........all we here is "oh we are good, just got beat"  or "it's hard to win on the road"   If this was the football program, the house would have been cleaned out already.

8 wins is equivalent to 20 wins in hoops. We have averaged over 20 wins during the past 6 years.  Imagine if the football program averaged 8 wins during the same span. 🤔
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 21, 2018, 07:39:57 pm
8 wins is equivalent to 20 wins in hoops. We have averaged over 20 wins during the past 6 years.  Imagine if the football program averaged 8 wins during the same span. 🤔

I disagree.
Millennials suck...

HogsonHicks

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 21, 2018, 07:39:57 pm

That's creative.

Pigsear

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on February 21, 2018, 05:17:30 pm
It has been ever since Holan left  :(
Actually it was the last 3 or 4 years Nolan was here.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 21, 2018, 08:05:44 pm
How? Beat 3 cupcakes and win 5 SEC games

Sec is a WAY more challenging football conference than basketball, especially the western division.
Millennials suck...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: arkansas1994 on February 21, 2018, 07:22:11 pm
Everywhere Mike has been his winning percentage is almost the same  .68  at UAB .66 at Mizzou .66 here

Yep.  Career 22-12 coach.  We're heading towards his average. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Paul

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 04:43:48 pm
It shouldn't have had to happen but there was gonna be a split fanbase until it did.
as badly split as it is now & will continue to be for the foreseeable future

golfinpig

This is as good as it's going to get. If you're ok with that then Mike's your man. If you think we can do better,and I certainly do, then it's past time to move on.

hobhog

Quote from: arkansas1994 on February 21, 2018, 07:22:11 pm

This is our future expectations if we keep him. If he can't win with a senior laden team with strong guards and a NBA center I don't know how anyone could expect better. It is what it is.

99toLife

Quote from: hobhog on February 24, 2018, 01:03:37 pm
This is our future expectations if we keep him. If he can't win with a senior laden team with strong guards and a NBA center I don't know how anyone could expect better. It is what it is.

Yep.