Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Macon’s slump

Started by Bacon_Bitz, December 09, 2017, 08:42:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

He hasn't been the same shooting since the ankle injury. Thankfully we got three cupcakes for him to get back on track finally

ShadowHawg

Still finding ways to contribute tonight.

An ankle injury ca throw your balance off ever so slightly. Like you, I think we see him come back around the next couple weeks.

lynbug

Assists are sometimes understated.

WizardofhOgZ

The good news is that we've got enough weapons to not automatically lose when Macon (or Barford) is in a mini-slump for a game or two.  Most of our recent teams relied on "all cylinders to be hitting" for us to win against good competition.

Better news - he'll soon be out of this "slump"; he's too good a shooter for it to continue (based on the entire 2016-2017 season).

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 09, 2017, 08:42:27 pm
He hasn't been the same shooting since the ankle injury. Thankfully we got three cupcakes for him to get back on track finally

Macon is not letting his shooting/scoring slump define him ... he's had a team-high 15 assists total last 2 games, each of which Hogs had 20-plus assists and well above 50% FGs ... that's what you want from your senior guards = being a leader and an asset, whatever it takes.

RealHog

Quote from: lynbug on December 09, 2017, 08:48:23 pm
Assists are sometimes understated.

Amen. This team is a machine when the ball whips around.

Roadhog82

I was at the game and thought Macon looked pretty good tonight. He got off to a slow start, but it didn't matter much with the dominant performances of cj and gafford. We are so deep it is scary. Great game and great vibe at bud walton tonight. At shootaround Macon was mostly working with the trainer and doing stretches and whatnot. He didn't warm up like the rest of the team, but once the game started he seemed on point. They were guarding him tight and he didn't get many looks the first half while they let cj butcher them. Cj is impressive. During warmups he hit 18 3s in a row, we were counting. But anyway I think once teams are forced to back off Macon for fear of cj his numbers might not be there but  until then cj will absolutely kill them. I think Macon ended up with 8 or 9 assists so he is taking advantage of the the d in other aspects. We looked good all around. Gafford is the man!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 10, 2017, 02:54:47 am
I was at the game and thought Macon looked pretty good tonight. He got off to a slow start, but it didn't matter much with the dominant performances of cj and gafford. We are so deep it is scary. Great game and great vibe at bud walton tonight. At shootaround Macon was mostly working with the trainer and doing stretches and whatnot. He didn't warm up like the rest of the team, but once the game started he seemed on point. They were guarding him tight and he didn't get many looks the first half while they let cj butcher them. Cj is impressive. During warmups he hit 18 3s in a row, we were counting. But anyway I think once teams are forced to back off Macon for fear of cj his numbers might not be there but  until then cj will absolutely kill them. I think Macon ended up with 8 or 9 assists so he is taking advantage of the the d in other aspects. We looked good all around. Gafford is the man!
Macon gets his shots in way before the other players. Before anybody comes in the gym.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawgball40

To me Macon played the role of facilitator tonight. He had a couple of nice dishes in transition and a couple nice dimes to Gafford. More than makes up for his shooting woes imo.

a0ashle

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 09, 2017, 09:50:57 pm
The good news is that we've got enough weapons to not automatically lose when Macon (or Barford) is in a mini-slump for a game or two.  Most of our recent teams relied on "all cylinders to be hitting" for us to win against good competition.

Better news - he'll soon be out of this "slump"; he's too good a shooter for it to continue (based on the entire 2016-2017 season).

When was the last time we had 4 guards who could legitimately take over a game.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on December 10, 2017, 01:52:01 am
Macon is not letting his shooting/scoring slump define him ... he's had a team-high 15 assists total last 2 games, each of which Hogs had 20-plus assists and well above 50% FGs ... that's what you want from your senior guards = being a leader and an asset, whatever it takes.

Good....He is adjusting to his new role (IMO) will be his role on the next level. Perfect opportunity for him at this point (no pun intended), I'm hopeful he recognizes it and continue to evolve/grow. Let the game come to him and not forcing the issue because we believe he has score every time. He will still get his points in the flow of the game...while finding his team mates where they want the ball. Showing some BB IQ, he (Macon) recognized this in the CSU game. Finding CJ open in corner or on the wing he is close to deadly on those spots.

I don't think he is necessarily in a slump though. We all know he can score.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: HawgnCorona on December 10, 2017, 09:42:16 am
Good....He is adjusting to his new role (IMO) will be his role on the next level. Perfect opportunity for him at this point (no pun intended), I'm hopeful he recognizes it and continue to evolve/grow. Let the game come to him and not forcing the issue because we believe he has score every time. He will still get his points in the flow of the game...while finding his team mates where they want the ball. Showing some BB IQ, he (Macon) recognized this in the CSU game. Finding CJ open in corner or on the wing he is close to deadly on those spots.

I don't think he is necessarily in a slump though. We all know he can score.
I agree with you. I thought Macon looked like a point guard last night which is not a bad thing for his draft stock. I've always felt like he was the teams best passer but had to be more of a spot up shooter last year. This year we have enough scores to afford for him to have a single digit scoring night.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 09, 2017, 09:50:57 pm

the guy will get his mojo back against the cupcakes coming up....and when Macon has his mojo, it won't matter later on who's guarding him, he'll either get the assist or hit the shot himself....not worried about "Icewater" at all
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

niels_boar

Macon took some high-degree of difficulty shots.  His floor game has been superb the last couple of games.  Spreading the wealth will eventually get him some better looks as the defense has to shift their laser focus on him.  His scoring will be back..
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hogfooey

Quote from: niels_boar on December 10, 2017, 01:31:46 pm
Macon took some high-degree of difficulty shots.  His floor game has been superb the last couple of games.  Spreading the wealth will eventually get him some better looks as the defense has to shift their laser focus on him.  His scoring will be back..
Might have broke it last night in the last 5 or so minutes.  Hit some nice 3's. He's as clutch as can be when he needs to be.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogfooey on December 10, 2017, 03:05:29 pm
Might have broke it last night in the last 5 or so minutes.  Hit some nice 3's. He's as clutch as can be when he needs to be.
Late in the game coming back from a TO, Anderson appeared to be trying to light Macon's fire.  Anderson was VERY demonstrative in the huddle and was looking right at Macon.  Guess it worked. He had a turnover and then hit two long 3s.

mhuff

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on December 10, 2017, 11:36:36 am
I agree with you. I thought Macon looked like a point guard last night which is not a bad thing for his draft stock. I've always felt like he was the teams best passer but had to be more of a spot up shooter last year. This year we have enough scores to afford for him to have a single digit scoring night.

His stock has to be going up for the next level. If his assist  percentage is healthy and his turnover rate low, his value will certainly go up, especially with his ability to hit the three. Really proud of him . Slump heck he's blowing up and feeding the beast.

mhuff

Quote from: RealHog on December 10, 2017, 02:21:30 am
Quote from: RealHog on December 10, 2017, 02:21:30 am
Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on December 10, 2017, 11:36:36 am

His stock has to be going up for the next level. If his assist  percentage is healthy and his turnover rate low, his value will certainly go up, especially with his ability to hit the three. Really proud of him . Slump heck he's blowing up and feeding the beast.

hview

I think Macon, can turn up his game whenever it's needed. He seems willing to do whatever is needed to help the team win.