Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP Auburn Malzahn

Started by Rzback, October 20, 2017, 04:33:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Rzback on October 20, 2017, 04:33:16 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-podcast-10-19-2017

Sad for us old timers who knew what Razorback Football meant in the 1960's and 1970's.  No pride or commitment to winning today
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

PorkRinds

If he is I'm a darksider immediately.

rogersvillemohog

I have railed against the Malzahn machine since he got the OC job at Auburn under CheeseWiz, but by-golly I'll just come right out and say it, if Arkansas landed Gus I would be elated. It would be a sizable improvement in the head coaching department, and while it would piss people off, a couple of of 4-1 starts would shut that up pretty quickly. Not my first choice by any means, but I'm not willing to be one of those Arkansas fans who puts their pride before the ultimate good of the program.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

WilsonHog

He would be in my top two or three for sure. Him and Leach.

swineology

Quote from: Rzback on October 20, 2017, 04:33:16 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-podcast-10-19-2017

After 50 + years, Alumn 1980, RF donor since 1990, I'll pull out all support of razorback football if this slime ball is hired.

RIP Razorback Football!

Seebs

I just want somebody that can win. I trusted CBP to be smarter than the other coach. I have not had that feeling in a while .
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HawgHeadCheese

I don't understand the hatred towards Gus. It's a match made in heaven IMO. Even if we went on to get a good coach who has a successful 3-4 years how long does he stay before he leaves for a better job. I think the Arkansas job is a dream job for Gus.

GoHogs1091

The NWA contingent who are essentially the Malzahn Fan Club will make a strong push.

If he does get hired by the UofA, he might do slightly better than Bielema, but I wouldn't expect a drastic improvement.

Malzahn can recruit well to Auburn because of Auburn's history and proximity to talent, but he is probably not a good enough of a recruiter to recruit well enough to the UofA.

hotdog hog

Totally agree. Gus would be a good hire. Unless you are willing to gamble on a younger coach, we won't land a guy this talented. Winning in the Bush leagues ain't winning in the SEC.

swineology

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 20, 2017, 05:49:01 pm
I don't understand the hatred towards Gus. It's a match made in heaven IMO. Even if we went on to get a good coach who has a successful 3-4 years how long does he stay before he leaves for a better job. I think the Arkansas job is a dream job for Gus.

Auburn was Gus' dream job  after Cheese Sticks and him won the Natty. So far he's failed miserably at bringing another Natty to the Albarn Tigers.

He has no plan to return to Arkansas at any position. I'd say Saban will hire him when he falls in his high school face or he'll take a non P5 coaching job.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 20, 2017, 05:50:40 pm
The NWA contingent who are essentially the Malzahn Fan Club will make a strong push.

If he does get hired by the UofA, he might do slightly better than Bielema, but I wouldn't expect a drastic improvement.

Malzahn can recruit well to Auburn because of Auburn's history and proximity to talent, but he is probably not a good enough of a recruiter to recruit well enough to the UofA.

I think he would still be able to recruit well offensively just because his scheme is fun to watch and play in. I think he would do well and a better job at securing in-state talent but I'm not sure he could build a similar defense to Auburn's at Arkansas.

HawgHeadCheese

October 20, 2017, 05:58:39 pm #12 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:49:05 pm by HawgHeadCheese
Quote from: swineology on October 20, 2017, 05:55:05 pm

Auburn was Gus' dream job was AU after Cheese Sticks and him won the Natty. So far he's failed miserably at bringing another Natty to the Albarn Tigers.

He has no plan to return to Arkansas at any position. I'd say Saban will hire him when he falls in his high school face or he'll take a non P5 coaching job.
I don't think Gus has failed miserably at Auburn although he hasn't gotten close to winning a title since his last appearance . I only think Auburn became a dream job because of his mistreatment at Arkansas.

007 License To Squeal

What does "The two fan bases have different levels of expectations." mean??
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Ragnar Hogbrok

Why would we take a coach that has done mediocre to poor with the talent$ that are easily attracted to Auburn?  If he's an eight win coach at Auburn (not counting his first year), is everyone cool with another Beilema? 

I just don't understand.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: The Chief on October 20, 2017, 06:01:14 pm
Why would we take a coach that has done mediocre to poor with the talent$ that are easily attracted to Auburn?  If he's an eight win coach at Auburn (not counting his first year), is everyone cool with another Beilema? 

I just don't understand.
When Saban was hired from Michigan St. to LSU he wasn't setting the world on fire. There are different factors that come into play.

Mike_e

Has he developed a quarterback yet?

Aside from a ready to play transfer?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Mike_e on October 20, 2017, 06:04:55 pm
Has he developed a quarterback yet?

Aside from a ready to play transfer?
Nick Marshall?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 20, 2017, 06:04:29 pm
When Saban was hired from Michigan St. to LSU he wasn't setting the world on fire. There are different factors that come into play.

Saban went to a better talent pool for recruiting and was in the SEC West when it was the weaker division.  Malzahn coming here would not be of any value except a gimmick offense and an Arkansas native being at the helm.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

thebignasty

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 05:19:19 pm
If he is I'm a darksider immediately.

He'd have to do some serious winning. 

Mike Irwin

You guys must know nothing about Jeff Long. I doubt that he'd fire BB without putting him on notice with some stated goals for improvement. That  would come following this season. But in any case Long would have to do a 180 to even consider hiring Malzahn. He knows that a good portion of the fan base still blames Malzahn for junior high-type antics that took place in 06.

Whether you agree with that or not there a bunch of folks out there who blame Gus. I remember a Hogville poll that showed Nutt had 8% support. I laughed at those who said it was accurate. A Hogville regular paid a professional polling company to conduct a scientific poll. This guy put his money where his mouth was.

When the results were in, as I recall, Nutt's actual support was in the 60% range.

Malzahn ain't coming here. If he does it will take hiring the president of the Gus Malzahn fan club as AD to make it happen.

swineology

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 20, 2017, 05:58:39 pm

I don't think Gus has failed miserably at Auburn but he hasn't gotten close to winning a title. I only think Auburn became a dream job because of his mistreatment at Arkansas.

If he get's fired this year, by Auburn's standards he's failed miserably. I have a co worker that's from Montgomery, AU donor that wants his A$$ fired.

There are other up tempo coaches out there to choose from other than slime ball retread Gus

Mike Irwin

BTW, I consider that podcast totally insulting. The arrogant Auburn media is worse than their fans.

factchecker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 06:17:23 pm
Malzahn ain't coming here. If he does it will take hiring the president of the Gus Malzahn fan club as AD to make it happen.

Some people want Tim Horton as our AD.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Mike Irwin

Quote from: factchecker on October 20, 2017, 06:20:56 pm
Some people want Tim Horton as our AD.
Yeah, and I'm sure they can make it happen. An assistant coach who's never had any training as an athletics administrator will be offered the job as Arkansas' AD.

Sure. And the sun will come up in the west tomorrow.

WilsonHog

You guys must know nothing about Jeff Long. I doubt that he'd fire BB without putting him on notice with some stated goals for improvement. That  would come following this season. But in any case Long would have to do a 180 to even consider hiring Malzahn. He knows that a good portion of the fan base still blames Malzahn for junior high-type antics that took place in 06.

Whether you agree with that or not there a bunch of folks out there who blame Gus. I remember a Hogville poll that showed Nutt had 8% support. I laughed at those who said it was accurate. A Hogville regular paid a professional polling company to conduct a scientific poll. This guy put his money where his mouth was.

When the results were in, as I recall, Nutt's actual support was in the 60% range.

Your first paragraph is very interesting in terms of performance goals.

factchecker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 06:23:25 pm
Yeah, and I'm sure they can make it happen. An assistant coach who's never had any training as an athletics administrator will be offered the job as Arkansas' AD.

Sure. And the sun will come up in the west tomorrow.

I agree with you 100%.  There is a faction of people who want Horton and crew back in our athletic department.  I'm sure they will show up in this thread sooner or later.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

radar

We sure don't want to make any changes with our AD, he is known for making top notch hires from Pitt to UA . It would take an amazing effort by chancellor and BOT to downgrade from what we currently have.

oldhawg

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 20, 2017, 05:58:39 pm

I don't think Gus has failed miserably at Auburn but he hasn't gotten close to winning a title. I only think Auburn became a dream job because of his mistreatment at Arkansas.

Well,

"Malzahn inherited an Auburn Tigers football team that did not win a single Southeastern Conference game in the 2012 season, then led them to an SEC Championship and an appearance in the 2014 BCS Championship Game."

I would say that is pretty close to winning a title.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 20, 2017, 06:26:03 pm
Your first paragraph is very interesting in terms of performance goals.
It usually works like this:

The embattled coach and his AD have a meeting. The coach is asked to detail what plans are in place to change the direction of the program. Usually the firing of one or more assistant coaches is discussed. The AD will then offer to add money to the budget to play top dollar for their replacements.

Again most of the time this is how it goes down. At a few schools (LSU & Auburn for instance) big bucks boosters are allowed to make the decision. Arkansas is not one of those schools.

theFlyingHog

What do Arkansas high school coaches think of Gus? Across the state, not just NWA

VirginiaHog

I like Gus. I wanted him the last 2hires. But not now. If he cant win there, what makes you think he can win here.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: VirginiaHog on October 20, 2017, 06:37:14 pm
I like Gus. I wanted him the last 2hires. But not now. If he cant win there, what makes you think he can win here.
That is a big reason why he won't be offered. Not the only reason but it's a factor.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: factchecker on October 20, 2017, 06:27:43 pm
I agree with you 100%.  There is a faction of people who want Horton and crew back in our athletic department.  I'm sure they will show up in this thread sooner or later.

Ha!

jneal56

Quote from: oldhawg on October 20, 2017, 06:32:34 pm

Well,

"Malzahn inherited an Auburn Tigers football team that did not win a single Southeastern Conference game in the 2012 season, then led them to an SEC Championship and an appearance in the 2014 BCS Championship Game."

\

Not a GM fan but I laughed when I read that part about not getting close to winning a title. Funny how some people forget such facts!
"At least we are moral"

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: oldhawg on October 20, 2017, 06:32:34 pm

Well,

I was responding to a post of someone saying Gus failed miserably at Auburn. I was disagreeing.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 20, 2017, 06:34:53 pm
What do Arkansas high school coaches think of Gus? Across the state, not just NWA

Who cares?

In the 80's, we had Arkansas high school coaches spouting off that they knew more football than Lou Holtz

Rudy Baylor

This is the answer

jneal56

The mindset of "You can't do it at Arkansas" baffles me. It can be done at any school with the correct combination of coaches and players. It's finding those combinations that is difficult. For hells sake, Oregon played in the NCG as did Virginia Tech. It can be done. Those of you who don't believe it can be, then you should be 100% satisfied with CBB. He's doing exactly what you want and expect.
"At least we are moral"

jjfmetal11

All I know is if they actually keep BB then nobody gives a F#$@ about Arkansas football!     

Poker_hog

Gus is very much an opportunist.  He would have to go exactly 8-4 for him to come here.  Anything worse than that and we wouldn't him.  Anything better and there wouldn't be incentive for him to leave.  He currently has 2 losses and still has uga and bama left on the schedule so it's certainly possible.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

swineology

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 06:34:00 pm
It usually works like this:

The embattled coach and his AD have a meeting. The coach is asked to detail what plans are in place to change the direction of the program. Usually the firing of one or more assistant coaches is discussed. The AD will then offer to add money to the budget to play top dollar for their replacements.

Again most of the time this is how it goes down. At a few schools (LSU & Auburn for instance) big bucks boosters are allowed to make the decision. Arkansas is not one of those schools.

Yup

HogCzar1

Let's assume that Mike is dead on here. That at the end of this year, JL sits down with Bret and gives him some performance goals for 2018.

Just what would constitute a performance goal that Bret would need to meet next year?

7-5 next year against a weak schedule be good enough?

At some point, this program has to become competitive within the entire SEC. If the powers that be allow this level of achievement to continue indefinitely, they are going to risk losing financial support of individual boosters in droves. And, in addition, casual fans all across the state are going to quit watching.

I am beginning to think that some feel that there will be zero repercussions in allowing this level of performance to continue indefinitely.

hoss cartrack

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 20, 2017, 04:53:05 pm
Sad for us old timers who knew what Razorback Football meant in the 1960's and 1970's.  No pride or commitment to winning today

i have felt this way for years.   
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

scottwillrazbackfan1

BB finishes 4-8 this year, I'll be curious if JL can sale to the fanbase that's " its gonna be better next year ". Without fans the stadium is not full.

All the excuse BB makes during PCs are just excuses.  As he said at the beginning of the season, this is year 5, time to produce (I paraphrased). This is on him, no one else.

ronmahony

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 06:38:22 pm
That is a big reason why he won't be offered. Not the only reason but it's a factor.

Mike I know you know more about the fiasco with Mitch, Nutt, and Gus, I just know what I have heard or read, but in my opinion Gus used those boys to get his foot in the door, had to have known what was going with butt and his crew, never said a word to anybody that might have helped them, then skipped out to Tulsa. If that did happen like that, why would we want someone like that? Not like he is setting the west in fire. Surely we can do better.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Poker_hog

You guys must know nothing about Jeff Long. I doubt that he'd fire BB without putting him on notice with some stated goals for improvement. That  would come following this season.

How do you know he hasn't been put on notice?  Long said something to the effect that BB knows he has to win more before the season started.  Also in the preseason there was talk of not giving the seniors preference on playing time.  There seemed to be a sense of urgency.  Obviously it didn't work out.

Supposedly, one of the main reasons bb came here is because of how his assistants were treated at wisky.  Long seems to be hands off in that department.  Long getting involved now would be too little too late. 

Unless there's a major turnaround the fan base is done with cbb.  Won't be easy to fill up the newly expanded stadium with a lame duck as head coach.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

swineology

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 20, 2017, 07:20:38 pm
How do you know he hasn't been put on notice?  Long said something to the effect that BB knows he has to win more before the season started.  Also in the preseason there was talk of not giving the seniors preference on playing time.  There seemed to be a sense of urgency.  Obviously it didn't work out.

Supposedly, one of the main reasons bb came here is because of how his assistants were treated at wisky. Long seems to be hands off in that department.  Long getting involved now would be too little too late. 

Unless there's a major turnaround the fan base is done with cbb.  Won't be easy to fill up the newly expanded stadium with a lame duck as head coach.
t. Obviuos
Pay was what Bert said was the problems at Wisky. Here he's went through assistants like $hit through a goose. $$$$ weren't the issue, Bert was, hello Cpt. Obvious!

Danny J

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 20, 2017, 06:49:08 pm
Gus is very much an opportunist.  He would have to go exactly 8-4 for him to come here.  Anything worse than that and we wouldn't him.  Anything better and there wouldn't be incentive for him to leave.  He currently has 2 losses and still has uga and bama left on the schedule so it's certainly possible.
While it's certainly possible, although I hope not because it means beating us tomorrow, they still have a chance to win the SEC if they win out.

Boarcephus

You guys must know nothing about Jeff Long. I doubt that he'd fire BB without putting him on notice with some stated goals for improvement. That  would come following this season.

How last season ended was disappointing.  Could this have happened at the end of last season? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.