Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thad Matta Fired at Ohio State

Started by The_Iceman, June 05, 2017, 01:49:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Razorod

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 05, 2017, 01:49:28 pm
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/871795587783335937
That's weird. Must be something off court? To fire someone in June for their record is kinda late in the process and summer recruiting cycle.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

Seems like odd timing to me as well. Gonna be tough to find a replacement this late in the game.

Hawg Red

EastexHawg

No need for Nick Bakay and his "tale of the tape" analysis in this case:

2004–05 Ohio State 20–12   8–8 6th       Ineligible
2005–06 Ohio State 26–6    12–4 1st        NCAA Round of 32
2006–07 Ohio State 35–4    15–1 1st        NCAA Runner-up
2007–08 Ohio State 24–13   10–8 5th      NIT Champions
2008–09 Ohio State 22–11   10–8 T–4th   NCAA Round of 64
2009–10 Ohio State 29–8     14–4 T–1st     NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11 Ohio State 34–3    16–2 1st        NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Ohio State 31–8    13–5 T–1st     NCAA Final Four
2012–13 Ohio State 29–8     13–5 T–2nd    NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Ohio State 25–10   10–8 5th      NCAA Round of 64
2014–15 Ohio State 24–11   11–7 6th      NCAA Round of 32
2015–16 Ohio State 21–14   11–7 7th      NIT Second Round
2016–17 Ohio State 17–15   7–11 T–10th 

Apparently there is no such thing as resting on laurels at Ohio State.

311Hog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorod on June 05, 2017, 01:59:51 pm
That's weird. Must be something off court? To fire someone in June for their record is kinda late in the process and summer recruiting cycle.

He has unfortunately had some health issues. I am curious as to why they couldn't figure out a way to simply get him to resign and still pay any buyout he might have had.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2017, 02:08:20 pm
Seat has been hot for a while.

Agreed.

But the timing is bizarre even with that fact.

hog.goblin

I could understand it if a surprise hiring was in the works but I don't think it is

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 05, 2017, 04:37:44 pm
Agreed.

But the timing is bizarre even with that fact.

Will be interesting to see who they hire. Do you make a move like this at a time like this because you know you can make a good hire. If so, probably going to be someone currently not coaching on college. And I don't think it will be Tom Crean.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2017, 06:31:42 pm
Will be interesting to see who they hire. Do you make a move like this at a time like this because you know you can make a good hire. If so, probably going to be someone currently not coaching on college. And I don't think it will be Tom Crean.

Just about have to be an NBA guy wouldn't you think?

HognitiveDissonance

He joins the likes of Mike Davis at Indiana as a coach who actually made the NCAA Championship game, but was fired later on.

Odd when you think about it that way.

yraciv

Ohio State AD has said his lack of success on the recruiting trail lately factored into it. I've also heard that he  didn't want to be a career coach,so maybe he lost some of that fire the last couple years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 05, 2017, 11:05:50 pm
He joins the likes of Mike Davis at Indiana as a coach who actually made the NCAA Championship game, but was fired later on.

I know of one we are all familiar with that won a NC and was fired.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pancetta

He'll probably take a year or two oiff and end up in the SEC or lower ACC job.  He's not even 50 yet though he looks like he's 60 to me.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

hawgmasta

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 05, 2017, 04:15:29 pm
He has unfortunately had some health issues. I am curious as to why they couldn't figure out a way to simply get him to resign and still pay any buyout he might have had.

Yeah I saw where they are going to honor the last two or maybe three years left of his contract. Maybe he was struggling with health issues and knew with the rugged demands of such a job he didn't want to keep it up. That's all speculation but makes some sense with them paying him the remainder of the contract.

go hogues

Quote from: Pancetta on June 06, 2017, 07:13:22 am
He's not even 50 yet though he looks like he's 60 to me.
You're kidding!? Oldest looking 40-something I've ever seen then.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 05, 2017, 09:15:34 pm
Just about have to be an NBA guy wouldn't you think?

That's what I'm thinking. Unless they really like one of their assistants.

The_Iceman

Quote from: go hogues on June 06, 2017, 08:48:53 am
You're kidding!? Oldest looking 40-something I've ever seen then.

No kidding. I thought he was pushing 60.

husker71

assistants now are Dave Dickerson/Alan Major/Chris Jent/Greg Paulus       take your pick among those if you want

husker71

Well I can tell you it aint going to be Pat Knight whose last 2 seasons were 3-28 and 3-22 at Lamar. 

King Kong

Chris Jent has HC experience with the Magic and in the D-league

hog.goblin

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 06, 2017, 09:34:07 am
No kidding. I thought he was pushing 60.

Jay Bilas said, "I think he's about my age, 57."  Then followed that up with, "Maybe I shouldn't have said that.  He may call and ask how old do you think I am?"

It appears Jay's gut was correct in that he was a bit off.  Thad will be 50 next month.

husker71

Good article on Yahoo today about how the class of 2015 killed him.  It was a top 5 class and not one of them got any real playing time or really helped the team.  All were gone very quickly.  That hurt alot

Slater

Mike Anderson is 8 years older than Matta, that's amazing when you see the two guys
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Razorod on June 05, 2017, 01:59:51 pm
Had to get those recruits signed first.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hog.goblin

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 08, 2017, 06:42:37 am
And that paves the way for Sean Miller from Dayton to Columbia.

You mean Archie?  Sean isnt going to Ohio St from AZ.  AZ is the better job.

The_Iceman

Archie Miller took the Indiana job, remember?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 07, 2017, 11:50:50 pm
Just goes to show that elite colleges don't settle!

First, Ohio State isn't elite.

Second, it's been rumored that health issues may have been the real reason behind this move.

The_Iceman

King Kong

So much fail in this post

The_Iceman

hog.goblin

Quote from: King Kong on June 09, 2017, 07:56:21 am
So much fail in this post

Reminds me of the time RB Dennis Green transferred here from UCLA

311Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 08, 2017, 06:54:50 pm
First, Ohio State isn't elite.

Second, it's been rumored that health issues may have been the real reason behind this move.

odd thing to say, i mean yeah they aren't traditional power house per say but they totally could be.  All the ingredients are there.

The_Iceman

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 09:24:41 am
Hmmmm:

So just to play along, where do you think Ohio State ranks? 

Probably in that next tier down. They are a solid program, but not an elite powerhouse program.

hog.goblin

Hmmmm:

I think many of us ignore their history because it's so long ago.  11 final fours is elite.  But only 3 since 1970 and several prior to 1950.

In a big slump of sorts?  Yes
Historically elite? Yes

AZ comes to mind as more elite, which they are in the last 30 years but not in total

ShadowHawg

Hmmmm:

The context of the comment I responded to stated that Motta was fired by an elite program. That would mean Ohio State is currently an elite program, which they aren't.

Is LSU elite? They have been to ad many final fours as Ohio State had since 70's.

Ohio State is located in great proximity to loads of talent. If they were elite, it wouldn't even be debatable. Look at their football program if you want to see what elite really looks like.

Ohio State's commitment to basketball in modern times would be in the top 60 somewhere.

Big 10 basketball rates about like Mich St, Mich, Wisc, Maryland, and Purdue right now.

It's hard to argue for Ohio State being elite inside it's own conference much less all of college basketball.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 09, 2017, 04:24:06 pm
The context of the comment I responded to stated that Motta was fired by an elite program. That would mean Ohio State is currently an elite program, which they aren't.

Is LSU elite? They have been to ad many final fours as Ohio State had since 70's.

Ohio State is located in great proximity to loads of talent. If they were elite, it wouldn't even be debatable. Look at their football program if you want to see what elite really looks like.

Ohio State's commitment to basketball in modern times would be in the top 60 somewhere.

Big 10 basketball rates about like Mich St, Mich, Wisc, Maryland, and Purdue right now.

It's hard to argue for Ohio State being elite inside it's own conference much less all of college basketball.

They aren't Elite overall because they were mediocre at best from 1970 to 1998.  That's nearly 30 years of mostly nothing. 

Elite within their conference, even recently?  I would say yes.

Since 1999
Championship Game
3 Final Fours
4 Elite 8s
6 Sweet 16s
13 NCAAT appearances

That rivals Wisconsin, beats Maryland, falls short of Mich St, and trounces Purdue & Michigan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 09, 2017, 11:13:51 am
Probably in that next tier down. They are a solid program, but not an elite powerhouse program.

Agreed

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 09, 2017, 04:48:20 pm
They aren't Elite overall because they were mediocre at best from 1970 to 1998.  That's nearly 30 years of mostly nothing. 

Since 1999
Championship Game
3 Final Fours
4 Elite 8s
6 Sweet 16s
13 NCAAT appearances

That rivals Wisconsin, beats Maryland, falls short of Mich St, and trounces Purdue & Michigan

Elite programs don't miss the tournament 30% of the time. Not to mention 1999 as a starting point for program comparisons for the modern era of NCAA basketball is cherry picking at it's finest, especially with Ohio State.

Also, 4 of those tournament appearances are vacated for cheating. That gives them a whopping 9 appearances in the last 19 tournaments.

Not elite even inside their own conference.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 10, 2017, 05:43:27 pm
Elite programs don't miss the tournament 30% of the time. Not to mention 1999 as a starting point for program comparisons for the modern era of NCAA basketball is cherry picking at it's finest, especially with Ohio State.

Also, 4 of those tournament appearances are vacated for cheating. That gives them a whopping 9 appearances in the last 19 tournaments.

Not elite even inside their own conference.

I said they weren't nationally elite, so we agree

I chose the last 18 years or so because YOU were the one who said they weren't currently elite.  A qualifier you chose because historically they are an excellent program.  Use 10, 15, or 20 years, I don't care - all would be current

2nd best program in their conference makes them elite within their conference.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 10, 2017, 08:59:11 pm
I said they weren't nationally elite, so we agree

I chose the last 18 years or so because YOU were the one who said they weren't currently elite.  A qualifier you chose because historically they are an excellent program.  Use 10, 15, or 20 years, I don't care - all would be current

2nd best program in their conference makes them elite within their conference.

Actually I said in modern times. Integration and tournament expansion. From 1980 to 1998 they only made the NCAA tournament 8 times. From 1980 to 2017 they have only made the NCAA tournament 17 times without cheating.

They are more like the 5th most successful program in the entire history of the conference when cheating is factored in.

I think the disagreement here is in terminology. I am talking modern era while you are picking 1999 to present which would be more like recent, but anything over a decade is debatable as recent.

Modern era, they are solid top of the middle 3rd of the Big 10. Even recent, it's a stretch to call them elite inside the conference and questionable to say they are a second tier program nationally given the comparison of results to available talent.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 10, 2017, 10:27:30 pm
Actually I said in modern times. Integration and tournament expansion. From 1980 to 1998 they only made the NCAA tournament 8 times. From 1980 to 2017 they have only made the NCAA tournament 17 times without cheating.

They are more like the 5th most successful program in the entire history of the conference when cheating is factored in.

I think the disagreement here is in terminology. I am talking modern era while you are picking 1999 to present which would be more like recent, but anything over a decade is debatable as recent.

Modern era, they are solid top of the middle 3rd of the Big 10. Even recent, it's a stretch to call them elite inside the conference and questionable to say they are a second tier program nationally given the comparison of results to available talent.

I think we are in agreement because I didn't translate "current" into "modern" which is why I said this:

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 11, 2017, 12:25:07 am
I think we are in agreement because I didn't translate "current" into "modern" which is why I said this:

Does sound reasonable. Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little slow to catch up with you.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 11, 2017, 12:29:18 am
Does sound reasonable. Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little slow to catch up with you.

No worries

PonderinHog

Since 1999
Championship Game
3 Final Fours
4 Elite 8s
6 Sweet 16s
13 NCAAT appearances

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 11, 2017, 08:10:00 am
No worries
We're not elite ???  Crap!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 11, 2017, 08:26:48 am
We're not elite ???  Crap!

We haven't even had an elite season in 2 decades. Hurt s to admit.

Doesn't mean we don't elite potential.

popcornhog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 05, 2017, 11:05:50 pm

. . . and Nolan.
WPS