Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggest NFL Draft Busts of all 32 Teams

Started by Dahogs, April 24, 2017, 06:16:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

That's absurd.  They may have selected him too high, but he was far from a bust. 

Pig in the Pokey

Blaine Gabbert, he of the Mallet rumor-mongering agent, displaced Matt Jones on Jax's list.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogs run wild

4.5 sacks? what's that like $5-6 mil per sack?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 24, 2017, 06:44:09 pm
That's absurd.  They may have selected him too high, but he was far from a bust. 

Bust is really all about where you get picked (value). Good franchises don't intentionally draft defensive ends in the top ten picks just because they are solid against the run.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 24, 2017, 06:44:09 pm

Not bad for a HS TE turned DE...  I for sure thought DMAC would be the one for Oakland... I am kinda thrilled to have only 1 HDN era draft pick on that list...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BigE_23

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 25, 2017, 12:48:41 am
Not bad for a HS TE turned DE...  I for sure thought DMAC would be the one for Oakland... I am kinda thrilled to have only 1 HDN era draft pick on that list...

I don't even have to click the link to know who's #1 for Oakland...DMAC didn't live up to expectations but he's been far from a bust.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 24, 2017, 06:55:55 pm
Blaine Gabbert, he of the Mallet rumor-mongering agent, displaced Matt Jones on Jax's list.
add jake locker drafted 8th by the titans to the list of QBs taken ahead of mallett who are already out of the league
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Dahogs on April 24, 2017, 06:16:39 pm
Oh my check out Atlanta  :'(

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/biggest-nfl-draft-busts-for-all-32-nfl-teams-and-no-johnny-manziels-not-one/

JA had one great year here and it was parlayed into a good draft. I was worried he left too early. He had the talent, so what prevented him from eventually becoming good?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 25, 2017, 04:47:58 am
JA had one great year here and it was parlayed into a good draft. I was worried he left too early. He had the talent, so what prevented him from eventually becoming good?

I don't think he had that mean streak that an NFL DL must have.  By all accounts, he was as nice as could be, a solid guy all around.  He just didn't have the "thug" in him that so many all pro types seem to have.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pork Twain

Really most teams that selected a Razorback could be on there.  DM, FJ, MJ or JA
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DoubleReedHawgCaller

No Jeff George for the Colts?  They just lost all credibility.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

MuskogeeHogFan

While I realize that they only looked at players drafted since 1995, no discussion on this topic is complete without the insertion of the name Tony Mandarich. He was a 6-6, 330 lb. OT out of Michigan State who was the second overall player chosen in the 1989 NFL Draft ahead of such names as Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, Steve Atwater, Eric Metcalf, and Andre Rison. He was recruited to Mich State by Nick Saban.

S.I. did a cover story on him and noted his measurables at the NFL Combine, he was 6'6", weighed 330, ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds, did a standing long jump of 10' 3", leaped vertically 30" and bench-pressed 225 pounds an unheard-of 39 times. (Just goes to show that being big and lifting weights isn't everything)

He appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice and was also a colorful character, illustrated by such instances as challenging then–Heavyweight Boxing Champion Mike Tyson to a fight, missing scheduled public appearances due to being drunk or hungover, his well-documented love of the band Guns N' Roses (he had a dog named Axl and also a tattoo of the cross-design from the cover of Appetite for Destruction on his arm), and referring to Green Bay as "a village".

He once was alleged to have said, "I am not like other players, I am Tony Mandarich, and they have to understand that. If they don't like it, that is just the way I am and they are going to learn to like it."

After three seasons of lackluster performance on a 4 year contract, Green Bay cut Mandarich.

What a waste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Mandarich
Go Hogs Go!

RebelliousHog

II would argue that Batman Carroll was bigger bust for the Packers in 2004. justin Harrel might have been a bust but it was due to injuries, Batman just couldn't play in the bigs. 

I thought when he was drafted  it was a mistake. When they got him in the fisst round Iwas like "What the hell? You wasted a 1st round pick on him?'
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 25, 2017, 06:54:00 am
While I realize that they only looked at players drafted since 1995, no discussion on this topic is complete without the insertion of the name Tony Mandarich. He was a 6-6, 330 lb. OT out of Michigan State who was the second overall player chosen in the 1989 NFL Draft ahead of such names as Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, Steve Atwater, Eric Metcalf, and Andre Rison. He was recruited to Mich State by Nick Saban.

S.I. did a cover story on him and noted his measurables at the NFL Combine, he was 6'6", weighed 330, ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds, did a standing long jump of 10' 3", leaped vertically 30" and bench-pressed 225 pounds an unheard-of 39 times. (Just goes to show that being big and lifting weights isn't everything)

He appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice and was also a colorful character, illustrated by such instances as challenging then–Heavyweight Boxing Champion Mike Tyson to a fight, missing scheduled public appearances due to being drunk or hungover, his well-documented love of the band Guns N' Roses (he had a dog named Axl and also a tattoo of the cross-design from the cover of Appetite for Destruction on his arm), and referring to Green Bay as "a village".

He once was alleged to have said, "I am not like other players, I am Tony Mandarich, and they have to understand that. If they don't like it, that is just the way I am and they are going to learn to like it."

After three seasons of lackluster performance on a 4 year contract, Green Bay cut Mandarich.

What a waste.

In terms of NFL busts, Mandarich is and always will be the GOAT.

I read a biography on him , talk about a cautionary tale to parents everywhere. That dude's father made him eat, drink, and sleep football from the time he was 3 years old.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

My job has espn (and most other sports sites) blocked. Can anyone tell me If there are former razorbacks on the list
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 25, 2017, 08:01:52 am

In terms of NFL busts, Mandarich is and always will be the GOAT.

I read a biography on him , talk about a cautionary tale to parents everywhere. That dude's father made him eat, drink, and sleep football from the time he was 3 years old.

Todd Marinovich has to be a close 2nd.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 24, 2017, 06:55:55 pm

I love that folks still act like those rumors were all just rumors.

BigE_23

April 25, 2017, 08:53:44 am #18 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:10:26 am by BigE_23
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 25, 2017, 06:54:00 am

What a waste.

I thought the same thing...he was a HUGE bust. He's widely regarded as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

BTW, a lot of the "busts" mentioned in this article were drafted in the last few years (after 2010). Some guys need a few more years to pan out. They listed a guy drafted last year, the kicker for TB, as a bust! Give the kid some time.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 25, 2017, 08:22:38 am

No doubt, no doubt. Another can't miss prospect, that missed.

hawginbigd1

List has to be junk if it puts Mo Claiborne over Bobby Carpenter or Quincy Carter for the Cowboys.

MTBrookHog

Don't even have to look for my Chargers. Hello Ryan Leaf.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BigE_23 on April 25, 2017, 08:53:44 am
I thought the same thing...he was a HUGE bust. He's widely regarded as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

BTW, a lot of the "busts" mentioned in this article were drafted in the last few years (after 2010). Some guys need a few more years to pan out. They listed a guy drafted last year, the kicker for TB, as a bust! Give the kid some time.

that pick is kind of funny.   you can see why he is wearing a hat in the first pick.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 25, 2017, 10:23:44 am
No doubt, no doubt. Another can't miss prospect, that missed.

What'd the two of those have in common? Overbearing fathers that didn't let their kids live their own lives.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 25, 2017, 08:22:38 am

No way he will always be #1 bust in my book.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TNhawgfan

7 QBs out of the 32. And looking at this year's QBs, I see a good chance for a couple more busts. Does anyone really think this kid from UNC is going to be a franchise QB in the NFL? I sure as hell don't
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bennyl08

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 25, 2017, 03:15:17 pm
7 QBs out of the 32. And looking at this year's QBs, I see a good chance for a couple more busts. Does anyone really think this kid from UNC is going to be a franchise QB in the NFL? I sure as hell don't

Really weak qb class in general this year. Not a single qb in this draft would I bet 5 dollars on becoming a pro bowl level starter. However, due to the desperate need for a qb, several will be taken in the first round.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawganatic

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 25, 2017, 11:07:45 am
List has to be junk if it puts Mo Claiborne over Bobby Carpenter or Quincy Carter for the Cowboys.

Claiborne maybe hasn't lived up to expectations, but they got five years of work out of him.  Jerry Jones thought he had the next Michael Vick with Carter and got nothing out of him.

I don't think a lot of work was put into that list.  Most of the names on that list are recent picks, or the obvious highly publicized ones like Ryan Leaf.

RazorWest

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 03:38:21 pm
Really weak qb class in general this year. Not a single qb in this draft would I bet 5 dollars on becoming a pro bowl level starter. However, due to the desperate need for a qb, several will be taken in the first round.

I understand your concern, but Watson at Clemson balls with the lights on.  Could totally seem him having a Dak Prescott impact for someone.  Then again he could fail miserably. 

bennyl08

Quote from: RazorWest on April 25, 2017, 03:48:50 pm
I understand your concern, but Watson at Clemson balls with the lights on.  Could totally seem him having a Dak Prescott impact for someone.  Then again he could fail miserably.

Watson objectively had Bama levels of talent around him and still threw 17 interceptions last year and 30 picks over the previous two seasons. Prescott threw 16 total his last 2 years and only 5 his last year while going against tougher defenses and with much less surrounding talent.

Watson balled against Bama, who didn't have a good pass defense this year (we threw for 400 yards recall). His 3 interceptions against Pitt largely contributed to the loss while his 2 picks against Troy almost had them lose that game.

10 of his 17 interceptions came with the score being within 7 points. Surprisingly, he also throws a lot of picks when the team is up by 15+ (7 over the past 2 years). Typically, you see more picks when the team is losing as the qb presses. Though, with all that talent, there were only 109 passing attempts made when Clemson was losing out of the 579 total attempts he had on the season. Last year, most of his interceptions (11/13) came from his own goal line to he opposing 40 with only 2 interceptions total once inside the opponents 40 and only 1 in the redzone. This year, 10/17 interceptions came from the same distances, but 7 interceptions inside the opponents 40 with 4 of them in the redzone. That regression isn't what you want to see.

GolfnHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 25, 2017, 12:48:41 am

Well, Matt Jones did get a mention in the Jacksonville bust.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"