Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your Grade For the Basketball Team This Season

Started by Willyboy, March 20, 2017, 08:47:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What grade do you give the Hogs this season?

A+
A-
B+
B-
C+
C-

Willyboy

Consider the players, coaches, wins, losses...  What grade do you give them for this season?  Explain what you voted and why, if you feel like it! 

I didn't put anything lower than a C- because no one in their right mind would say D or F. 

boonecohog

SoonerSooie

The way they peaked and played at the last of the year was nothing less than outstanding.
A-  If they could have pulled off the upset against NC (and not gotten shafted by the refs) it would have been A+

factchecker

Quote from: Willyboy on March 20, 2017, 08:47:08 pm
I didn't put anything lower than a C- because no one in their right mind would say D or F.

Good job..... but I can show you plenty of comments and tweets from our "wonderful fans" that would fall into this category.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tophawg19

B- for the first half and a solid A for the last half . overall a B+
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sickboy

sickboy

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 20, 2017, 09:03:21 pm

That's about right.

Smithian

B+.

Year 6, lots of returning players, added in JUCO talent, the tournament was a reasonable expectation. Their strong finish along with a first round win made it a B+.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ChicoHog

Quote from: Smithian on March 20, 2017, 09:20:37 pm
B+.

Year 6, lots of returning players, added in JUCO talent, the tournament was a reasonable expectation. Their strong finish along with a first round win made it a B+.
Agreed.  I gave B+.  Not making the tournament would have been huge disappointment.

rude1

Got in the tourney won a game, wasn't good enough to win 5 on 8 but gallant effort B-.  Still plenty of room for growth from this season, need to do better in regular season to get a better seeding coming in so you aren't set up playing a 1 seed in game 2 of the tourney.

hogsanity

can not give an A to a team that lost at home to MSU or lost ANYWHERE to Mizzu. b- in total, b last half of season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BannerMountainMan

Players- A, they had some bad patches in a few games like hustle wise like just letting the guy dunk it on fast breaks and not contest it at all when they could easily defend it, but overall their effort down the stretch brought it up to an A..also I can't but a grade on talent because it is what it is.

Coaches- A-, this A- is huge as in what most posters would say is like a C but I believe it's an A- because coach actually changed his defense some and at the ladder stretch of the year he actually had some really good out-of-bounds plays!

Wins- B-, Many decent SEC middle of the pack wins like Tennessee, A&M, and Ole Miss adding with good Vandy and South Carolina but no great wins that's why I give the wins a B-

Losses- C+, we did a good job at not having as many losses as we could of had knowing a lot of games came down to the wire that we could have lost but our FT's pushed us through. Missouri and Miss St brought us down a bit but did a pretty good job at only losing to "above average" teams!

Fans- B, many fairweather fans but there is also a lot of huge hardcore fans still also! If many posters would lay off the "firing" of a coach ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE YEAR just because they dislike him I would give our fansbase an A. But trolls will be trolls and try to bring the program down because "their" guy isn't running the program.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

alohawg

Quote from: Smithian on March 20, 2017, 09:20:37 pm
B+.

Ditto
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

mightybulldogs12

HogBreath

If these guys had got a fair shake from the refs, they'd have been in the sweet 16, so A-. 

I had really surmised most of the season that they could play with anyone.  In some ways, they were a strange team, look bad at times, then turn right around and play lights out. 

Fun team, good group of guys, easy team to cheer for.  A better team than most people realize.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

daBoar

"A".......From 9-9 to 12-6, runner-up in the SEC championship (played in N'ville and trounced Vandy), beat the Big East Tourney runner-up, and gave the region's #1 seed a run for their money.

Missou? It was a bad road loss, but I look to the subsequent turn-a-round, which demonstrates the team is on a solid trajectory going up.

memphio hog

A-......the - for the Mizzu and Miss State looses and the A for the way they finished. We would be in the sweet 16 had a couple of calls or no calls had gone our way, even with the free throw margin being that big of a difference. The Hogs this year showed up at the end to the season when it matter. Not perfect be any means but good enough to make UNC look confused and lost.  Woo Pig!

King Kong

Regular season? B. Postseason (SEC and NCAAT) A

the 1 and only

molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

jackflash

GuvHog

I gave them a B+. Those losses to Missouri, Miss State, Oklahoma State, and Minnesota really hurt but going from an "F" a year ago to a B+ this year is quite a jump in a short time. Great job by Mike, his coaches, and the team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

I gave them an A- / with the - being for the Missouri loss.
No way I give this team anything less - had too much fun watching them this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Kevin

they did what this program should at least  do every year.

B
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

B-

Season was heading to a D/F halftime of LSU game.  Good recovery job and a near excellent finish.  Gave above a C because the team ended up being above the bubble in the NCAAT field before SECT.  Good accomplishment considering where the season was trending the first couple of weeks of Feb.  Good wins over SC, Vandy and Seton Hall down the stretch.  For what this team was, it was an above average season for them with some accomplishment. 

Not going to give any higher to a team who wasn't competitive with some of the better teams on the schedule till the UNC game.  The program needs to start beating those types of teams in the near future.  Schedule was good for the RPI numbers but wasn't overly difficult.  The failure on the national stage vs Ok St and loss to Mizzou went a long way to putting this team in the 8 seed. 

http://artandtech.osu.edu/4101/lettergrades.html

WHAT DO LETTER GRADES MEAN?

A represents outstanding distinction and excellence.
- These are not impossible to achieve but are rare and difficult to come by.

B signifies levels of solid accomplishment and goodness.
- Good is more common than excellent but more rare than average.

C signifies "average- simple, common, adequate but ordinary
- Average is not usually an appealing rank to artists who strive for extraordinary and unique. C is however a very respectable point. Recognize what more is needed; plan to move ahead, improve and grow.

D represents results less than standard and/or mediocre- just passable
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hoglady on March 21, 2017, 08:01:06 am
I gave them an A- / with the - being for the Missouri loss.
No way I give this team anything less - had too much fun watching them this year.

This and the fact that this team had more fight and heart than any Razorback team in recent history.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

LZH

Quote from: Little Lady Back on March 21, 2017, 08:34:53 am
this team had more fight and heart than any Razorback team in recent history.

Isn't that grading on a curve?   ;)

B-    We lost more winnable games and didn't really win any that we shoulda lost.  Still, a hell of a recovery for the season.  The fact that we were totally clueless the last couple of possessions vs. UNC does nothing to change my lack of confidence in MA and his ability to take us to that next level.  But at least next season looks promising (comparatively).

razobak

I'm going to go by the scoring system my company uses for assigning grades to employees on their performance reviews, called the 9-square. Basically, the letters A through C denote how good you perform at your current level of expectation/talent and based on last year's grade, and the -, neutral, and + modifiers denote your potential for improvement/advancement.

Based on this, I give this team a B+ overall for the season. For the most part, we won the games we were supposed to win and lost the games we were supposed to lose. We had a couple games we lost inexplicably (Mizzou and Miss State) and a couple big wins (USCe on the road, Seton Hall in the tourney, Vandy on the road and in the SEC Tourney). We finished third in the SEC, an obvious tier below UF and UK; we made it to the SEC Finals before being outclassed by UK; we made it to the second round of the NCAAT and lost a hard-fought, vicious battle of a game to the top seed remaining in the tournament in their own back yard.

I thought we made several huge strides this year with getting over the "Can't win on the road" hump but came up flat in most of our opportunities against NCAAT-caliber competition this year. Not just that, but in our 7 losses to eventual NCAAT teams, our avg. margin of defeat was 17.1 points. Overall in 11 games against NCAAT competition (including 16-seed Mount St. Mary's) we were -85 point differential, or an average of -7.7 points per game. However, against eventual NIT participants, we were 6-0 with a +71 point differential, or an average of +11.8 points per game.

I think we are in prime position to make a good run next season. Barford and Macon got valuable experience this year at being team leaders, Trey Thompson came into his own in the latter half of the season, Adrio Bailey showed a TON of promise in his minutes against UNC, and we've got several freshmen coming in that show a lot of promise. Dustin Thomas and Anton Beard both need to improve over the summer, step their game up next year and play up to their potential. And we've got more added depth if Arlando Cook and this year's freshmen (CJ Jones and Brachen Hazen) can make strides to contribute. I expect us to be right back in the top 3 in the SEC next season, and I expect better than an 8-seed in next year's tournament.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

SemperFi

B+.....some bad loses and poor performances in the first half of the season keeps their run to win the SECT and the screw job they got in the NCAAT from being an A.

I want Razorback basketball to be great again. I don't care who the Head Hog is, just get us back to where we should be and knock UK off of their lofty perch. I've been waiting for CMA to kick the crap out of that bear since his press conference. He just about made that bear into a rug Sunday night. Watching him coach and seeing that fire has made me a believer that he could be the man that restores ARKANSAS basketball. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Little Lady Back

Quote from: LZH on March 21, 2017, 08:53:53 am
Isn't that grading on a curve?   ;)

B-    We lost more winnable games and didn't really win any that we shoulda lost.  Still, a hell of a recovery for the season.  The fact that we were totally clueless the last couple of possessions vs. UNC does nothing to change my lack of confidence in MA and his ability to take us to that next level.  But at least next season looks promising (comparatively).

Trust me that my curve is the best to go by  ;)
#NolanRichardsonCourt

LZH

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 21, 2017, 08:12:29 am
they did what this program should at least  do every year.

B

But hasn't in 20 years.

HF#1

I went B+.  As solid a season as you can have without getting to the Sweet 16 and we almost did that.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Razorbackers

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 20, 2017, 09:03:21 pm

This is mine as well. If we don't poop our pampers against lesser teams at the mid point in the season, then we would probably be in the sweet 16 right now. Heck we were almost there anyway, which should probably warrant an A-, but that midseason crap fest...woof. haha

Super happy with the season overall, exceeded my expectations.

BRHogfan

B+  - If this team hadn't lost to Mizzou and Miss St., they probably would've had a better seed and not had to go through a UNC to get to the Sweet 16.

PorkRinds

B+ because of the inexplicable losses.  Great season overall

hoglady

Quote from: Little Lady Back on March 21, 2017, 08:34:53 am
This and the fact that this team had more fight and heart than any Razorback team in recent history.

For sure on that.
It's been a long, long time since I've seen a Hog team play as hard as they played Sunday night.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Youngsta71701

March 21, 2017, 04:12:36 pm #38 Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:39:56 am by Youngsta71701
I voted B. If we would have beaten North Carolina I would have had to give them an A maybe an A+ depending on what happened after that.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

mckinneyhog5

Gave them a B+. Would have given an A if they could have just pulled off one win against a top 10 program. Otherwise it was a really good year for Hog BBall.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

cityhog

B-
because of Mizzou, MS State games and blowout losses on the road to lower level out of conference opponents Okie Lite and Minnesota.

Hollywood870

A-. They brought Hawgball back from the dead on Sunday alone.

Razorpigg

B+ and look forward to next year being an A or A+  :razorback: :razorback:

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

BigBrandonAllenFan

A+ on the fact the program has finally turned the corner.  I truly believe great times are ahead.. Also an A+ on the incoming freshman class. 

pigture perfect

I would have said a solid B. Couldn't go with B+ because of losses to Mizzou and Cowbell Nation, and and escape win against LSU. Don't want to say B- because of the vast improvement from last year and we did advance in the tourney. So 85, just a regular B.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

rzrbackramsfan

B+.  They made me very proud but I wasn't quite satisfied.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 21, 2017, 09:42:36 pm
I would have said a solid B. Couldn't go with B+ because of losses to Mizzou and Cowbell Nation, and and escape win against LSU. Don't want to say B- because of the vast improvement from last year and we did advance in the tourney. So 85, just a regular B.
Exactly, we lost two games to teams that didn't make the NCAA tournament. If it wasn't for those losses I might would have given them an A-.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

tomw

c+..because the way the first half played out..being run out of the gym at minnesota, oklahoma state..3 times to kentucky and 2 to florida...bad losses to mizzou and vanderbilt at home....looked like they had never seen a basketball...second half a b....again headed for a blowout to north carolina...before they got it together...not a great team

factchecker

Quote from: tomw on March 22, 2017, 06:07:22 pm
..3 times to kentucky

.....we didn't play Kentucky 3 times....
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS