kingoftherapids

lost 3 great racetrackers yesterday. sad day for the business

oldman1015

Quote from: kingoftherapids on April 20, 2017, 02:20:20 pm
lost 3 great racetrackers yesterday. sad day for the business
Who were the others?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

kingoftherapids

Tim Van Berg (Jack's son) and James Long (jockey)

Iwastherein1969

Mr. Partee was my best friend's mother's, how do I say this, lady in waiting. Mr. Partee was a strong man in his family and his family accepted everything he did. I suppose because of the money. I said all of that to set this up. My friend and I were allowed to celebrate with my friend's mom (Mr Partee's younger woman). JT and I did everything from use Mr. Partee's box which was about at the 1/16th pole to go to Coy's with the family when Mr. Partee felt like celebrating a big win.  At Coy's, Mr Partee would have his whole entourage, Lynn Whiting and his wife and the family sit in the middle area of the main room. Not once did we order an entree. With Mr. Partee, you took your seat, ordered your drink and the food (every entree of note on Coy's menu was brought out on platters) and you, as Mr. Partee's guest could eat your fill of lobster, all cuts of steak, just name it and the food was there.

My point is that for years Lynn Whiting was the sole trainer for the orange silks with white dots of the W. Cal Partee Racing Stable of Magnolia, Arkansas. If Mr. Partee trusted Lynn, you can bet that Lynn was a fine individual along with being an accomplished horseman. Some of the horses, I took to the track with my buddy, JT to get my picture made with over the years were, Lucky Point, Oil City, John Von Wolfgang, Hereford Man, At The Threshold, Forbidden Pleasure, JT's Pet, Clever Allemont....and I could go on and on....Lynn Whiting always did what was good by the horse rarely if ever over racing one his horses. Horse Racing lost a fine Trainer, a great horseman, and an even better man when Lynn Whiting died. This news makes my heart heavy for it marks yet another passage of the times of my own life. RIP, Mr. Lynn Whiting
The long Grey line will never fail our country.