Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Point Guard In Arkansas Getting Notice

Started by Thrilbilly, December 22, 2007, 10:25:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Thrilbilly

I was told by a friend that attended a B-Ball game between Quitman and Guy/Perkins that Quitman had a point guard that was out of this world. Friend said he could start for the Hogs right now. Guy double teamed him with their two best players and he made fools of them. friend said he had so many weapons that the other team had no idea what he was going to do next and would strip the ball on D taking everything but their billfold.

The players name is McDanial. Has anyone heard of him and is anyone looking at him. If not can anyone pass this along to ones that might want to know about him.

Friend said in all of his years of watching B-Ball he had never saw anything like this guy.

Thril

yocdaddy

At Quitman?  Maybe your friend should get out to see more basketball.  I don't remember many players from that small of classification make it D-I.  I'm sure it happens sometimes, but I would say it is very rare. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

yocdaddy

By the way, although starting for the Hogs at point guard probably isn't as tough as other positions, I am going out on a limb and saying that no high school player at a AA high school in the state of Arkansas could start for the Hogs right now. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

mossfan33

not this year, but Anderson from Junction City could have last year........ don't knock the small schools
Go HG Hornets. STL Cardinals.  Packers.  Tar Heels  Hogs

byvark

Seems like I remember a decent major college player or two coming out of Plummerville and Menifee.
I bleed Razorback Red...how about you?  If you are not PASSIONATE about being a HOG fan, what's the deal?

porkandbeans

He is 5'7 no way he will ever play D1 ball.  Also heard that he is very streaky, go eval. him on another night.

Newcoachplease

Quote from: byvark on December 22, 2007, 06:42:00 pm
Seems like I remember a decent major college player or two coming out of Plummerville and Menifee.

They dont even have schools there!!!

Bacon The Saddle Again

A lot of smaller schools only have basketball, so the kids play it all year long.  It's just like anything else- if you do it all the time, you're going to be good at it. Doesn't surprise me when kids from smaller schools make it big in basketball.

yocdaddy

First of all, James Anderson is not a pg.  Secondly, Jason Gilbert was not a pg, and he didn't play much.  Lastly, I didn't knock the small schools.  I merely said that it is very rare.  Now, if there is a 5'7" pg at Quitman that is so electrifying, I am sure they wouldn't lose a game.  Check out their record.

I didn't make my point as clearly as I should have on my first post.  Whoever claims to have seen this kid play, is obviously dilusional if he thinks he is a major college prospect.  Major college prospects don't go to Quitman.  My point was........almost everyone thinks they know basketball.  Some guy who has seen a thousand high school games over the years, doesn't necessarily know basketball. 

I just wish the fans would step back to reality a little bit.  I am sure the kid is pretty good for a high school kid.  But, do people realize how good you have to be to attract major college attention.  You have to play summer ball at the highest level and compete well for several years.  You have to be extremely talented or extremely tall just to play at that level in the summers.  You have to lead your high school teams deep in the state tournament, and you have to have a high school coach that knows some people.  It's just not easy to get major college attention. 

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: yocdaddy on December 22, 2007, 09:51:11 pm
First of all, James Anderson is not a pg.  Secondly, Jason Gilbert was not a pg, and he didn't play much.  Lastly, I didn't knock the small schools.  I merely said that it is very rare.  Now, if there is a 5'7" pg at Quitman that is so electrifying, I am sure they wouldn't lose a game.  Check out their record.

I didn't make my point as clearly as I should have on my first post.  Whoever claims to have seen this kid play, is obviously dilusional if he thinks he is a major college prospect.  Major college prospects don't go to Quitman.  My point was........almost everyone thinks they know basketball.  Some guy who has seen a thousand high school games over the years, doesn't necessarily know basketball. 

I just wish the fans would step back to reality a little bit.  I am sure the kid is pretty good for a high school kid.  But, do people realize how good you have to be to attract major college attention.  You have to play summer ball at the highest level and compete well for several years.  You have to be extremely talented or extremely tall just to play at that level in the summers.  You have to lead your high school teams deep in the state tournament, and you have to have a high school coach that knows some people.  It's just not easy to get major college attention. 

That's not true on a lot of accounts. You don't HAVE to play summer ball, have a great coach with connections, and lead your team deep into the tournament just to get D-I attention.  You are assuming that coaches can't evaluate talent unless it's during the summer or the high school playoffs. The entire basis of the post is flawed.

And don't insult people's intelligence by telling them that you weren't knocking small schools and then say, "major college prospects don't go to Quitman."

EternalSunshine

Swingman? Doesn't Daniel Payne, (6-7, 210) ranked as the #1 or #2 juco player in the nation this year fit the bill?

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: Newcoachplease on December 22, 2007, 07:48:36 pm
They dont even have schools there!!!

Jimmy Oliver was from Plumerville and played at Morrilton.  Someone will correct if I'm wrong...but I think that was the case.  Went on to a great collegiate career at Purdue, had a cup of NBA coffee. 

byvark

Didn't Ole Miss have a good player from that area several years ago when they were pulling many good Arkansas players out-of-state?
I bleed Razorback Red...how about you?  If you are not PASSIONATE about being a HOG fan, what's the deal?

byvark

Where did Ricky Medlock, the Hog player with the great free-throw stats, play high school ball?  I'm old but seems to me that Leachville used to produce some very good college players.

byvark

...and I think Jack Schulte was from Subiaco Academy......not to mention the big center for Oklahoma a few years ago was from little ole Stroud, Oklahoma.

jgphillips3

Quote from: EternalSunshine on December 22, 2007, 11:33:24 pm
Swingman? Doesn't Daniel Payne, (6-7, 210) ranked as the #1 or #2 juco player in the nation this year fit the bill?

Problem is that he is a JUCO.  You need a promising freshman too.  Hell, we really need to be recruiting blue chip everything every year and taking the best players we can get almost regardless of position until we are loaded enough to target a position. 

That said, in Pelphrey's system, we REALLY need several strong guards.  One blue chip PG a year would NOT be too many in this system.  You also really need athletic wingmen who can defend and knock down a consistent mid range jumper.  We can get by without a true center if we have a powerful player at the four spot. 

I think he laid a good foundation with this class.  Unlike football, freshmen can always have a major impact on the basketball court.  I believe we will have a very nice year next year and if he can keep recruiting like this year, look out in the future.

yocdaddy

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on December 22, 2007, 11:05:54 pm
That's not true on a lot of accounts. You don't HAVE to play summer ball, have a great coach with connections, and lead your team deep into the tournament just to get D-I attention.  You are assuming that coaches can't evaluate talent unless it's during the summer or the high school playoffs. The entire basis of the post is flawed.

And don't insult people's intelligence by telling them that you weren't knocking small schools and then say, "major college prospects don't go to Quitman."

Name one guy in the last 10 years that came from a small school, didn't play summer basketball, and didn't have a coach with great connections that went on to play D-I basketball.  Name one guy, and I will take it all back.  Most every name that people were pulling out, were way back before AAU basketball.  I will agree with the poster who mentioned Keith Carter;however, that was 1994 when he was a senior and he did play summer basketball.  By the way, he played at Perryville.  If your high school team is not very good, you best be playing summer basketball, or your coach better know someone.  It is not as easy to get recruited D-I in basketball as some of you let on. 

And Bacon, I didn't assume that coaches can't evaluate talent if the kid don't play in the summer.  Oh no, they could if they truly wanted to, but usually won't take the time.  There are so many kids to choose from, why would they.  Finally, getting attention to me is more than receiving a recruit questionaire. 

I love small towns.  I am from a small town.  I coach and teach at a small town.  I have nothing against small towns.  Quitman is great, been through there millions of times, but it is not a basketball mecca.  Their high school boys have already lost 4 or 5 games this season.  A major college prospect doesn't reside in Quitman or their record would be better.

ballhogger14u

the kid from perryville lit us up while he was at olemiss and joe harvell from gosnell was the leading scorer in the sec his senior year. matt hall came from dardanelle and is a 4star lineman going to the hogs so your small school theory does not hold water.  there is not very many small town kids that are d1 but there are a few. this kid may not have a chance for d1 i don't know , never seen him , but to say noone does is bs

BallHog1

Quote from: byvark on December 23, 2007, 12:06:51 pm
...and I think Jack Schulte was from Subiaco Academy......not to mention the big center for Oklahoma a few years ago was from little ole Stroud, Oklahoma.

True on Schulte, he was outstanding.

WADHOG

Was French Lick a big school?  Just asking.

jspang727

Oak Grove..football mecca right?  Whatever....small/big....doesnt matter

yocdaddy

Quote from: yocdaddy on December 22, 2007, 02:48:49 pm
At Quitman?  Maybe your friend should get out to see more basketball.  I don't remember many players from that small of classification make it D-I.  I'm sure it happens sometimes, but I would say it is very rare. 

I quoted my original post because most of you think I said it never happens.  I didn't say it never happens.  I said it is very rare. 

Also, quit giving me examples older than 15 years old.  I mean come on, did someone pull out Larry Bird from French Lick.  That was over 30 years ago, in another state.

And, to the Oak Grove poster, we are talking about basketball here.  Football teams have 90 scholarship athletes, they tend to get more kids from smaller classifications that truly make a difference.  Basketball teams have 12 scholarship athletes, therefore, not very many smaller classification athletes make it to that level.

I'm still waiting for Bacon to give me an example from the past 10 years.  Small school, no AAU ball, and a coach who is not connected. 

WADHOG

Quote from: yocdaddy on December 25, 2007, 12:21:28 am
I quoted my original post because most of you think I said it never happens.  I didn't say it never happens.  I said it is very rare. 

Also, quit giving me examples older than 15 years old.  I mean come on, did someone pull out Larry Bird from French Lick.  That was over 30 years ago, in another state.

And, to the Oak Grove poster, we are talking about basketball here.  Football teams have 90 scholarship athletes, they tend to get more kids from smaller classifications that truly make a difference.  Basketball teams have 12 scholarship athletes, therefore, not very many smaller classification athletes make it to that level.

I'm still waiting for Bacon to give me an example from the past 10 years.  Small school, no AAU ball, and a coach who is not connected. 
It seems to me everytime someone comes up with an example, you find a way to dispute it.  Sure your argument holds water, but so does the other side.  So less than fifteen years ago, small school, no aau ball, no coach connected.........???

BigSexyHog

Not from Quitman... No way no how.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

yocdaddy

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on December 22, 2007, 11:05:54 pm

All of my posts have been a response to this one.  I just want him to give me an example from the last 10 years, in which a kid played at a small high school, didn't play AAU basketball, didn't go deep in the state tournament, and had a coach who wasn't well connected. 

I think all of the examples that were given were great players, but most of them were 20-30 years  ago.  Heck, even Jason Gilbert and Keith Carter played AAU ball.  Even those guys were 12-15 years ago. 

I am just asking for recent examples to prove his point of view.

Cash267

Keith Carter was the guy from Perryville....and I agree, don't knock the small schools.  You'd be surprised the amount of basketball talent found in small towns! 

imisswarrenlinn

Ricky Medlock was from Gurdon (I think). Someone threw him out there earlier. The McDonald kid from Saratoga was as good a high school player as I have ever seen in all my life including Corliss and Joe Johnson and Marvin Delph. He was recruited by some big time programs before the grades got him. Saratoga makes Quitman look like a metropolis.

While we are on that topic, what about the best player ever to come out of Arkansas. Last time I checked Hamburg was not a metropolis in the mid 1980's either, but one Mr. Pippen hails from there.
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

football-writer

Quote from: NinoHog on December 22, 2007, 04:53:48 pm
Jason Gilbert I think thats his name he we to a small school

Gilbert went to Mtn View....he had a lot of potential, but lacked the nerve to "bring it" on a D-I level.  Got great open looks from the three and would pass it off.  I saw him play in high school and he was phenominal but got to Razorbacks and choked
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

edt

Ricky Medlock went to Cave City High School. He was the best free throw shooter I ever saw.

hogfeezy

Quote from: imisswarrenlinn on December 27, 2007, 07:14:16 pm
While we are on that topic, what about the best player ever to come out of Arkansas. Last time I checked Hamburg was not a metropolis in the mid 1980's either, but one Mr. Pippen hails from there.
I'm pretty sure going to UCA is not the major D-1 program that he was talking about.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogfeezy on December 28, 2007, 09:50:18 am
I'm pretty sure going to UCA is not the major D-1 program that he was talking about.

But Pippen, in college, was better than anyone playing at Arkansas at the time.
[CENSORED]!

yocdaddy

Ok....OK......I didn't knock small schools, and I didn't say it never happened.  I just was asking someone to give me a kid from a small school, who didn't play AAU, to make it D-I in the last 10 years.  Obviously, some of you want to blast me, that's cool.  Blast me, but I never knocked small schools.  I played at one, went to JUCO from one, coach and teach at one, so find another argument. 

Why don't some of you try to impress me with a kid who went D-I from a small school AAA, AA, or A in the last 10 years, and who didn't make a name for himself in AAU basketball.  That was the original argument.

davril98

December 29, 2007, 11:07:17 pm #34 Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:09:00 pm by davril98
Quote from: WADHOG on December 24, 2007, 10:54:07 am
Was French Lick a big school?  Just asking.
just fyi, French Lick the population was 1,941 at the 2000 census   :D

yocdaddy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 28, 2007, 02:31:46 pm
But Pippen, in college, was better than anyone playing at Arkansas at the time.

Pippen was a great player after he developed.  He was about 6'1 when he came out of Hamburg.  He grew 5 or 6 inches at UCA.  And FWIW, at the time, UCA was NAIA.

#1 STUNNA

one of the top freshman players in the nation is from little ole AA Junction City

pigfeet

Quote from: yocdaddy on December 29, 2007, 10:51:51 pm
Ok....OK......I didn't knock small schools, and I didn't say it never happened.  I just was asking someone to give me a kid from a small school, who didn't play AAU, to make it D-I in the last 10 years.  Obviously, some of you want to blast me, that's cool.  Blast me, but I never knocked small schools.  I played at one, went to JUCO from one, coach and teach at one, so find another argument. 

Why don't some of you try to impress me with a kid who went D-I from a small school AAA, AA, or A in the last 10 years, and who didn't make a name for himself in AAU basketball.  That was the original argument.

Most people will agree with your original post. I do.

yocdaddy

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 30, 2007, 11:18:58 am
one of the top freshman players in the nation is from little ole AA Junction City

And he made a name for himself in AAU basketball, thanks for proving my point.  He also won a state championship at Junction City. 

big dread hog

were small town studs who played big time for AR. Ricky Medlock is a friend, now an opthamologist in Little Rock who can still shoot the free throw as smooth as anyone at any time. Medlock is from Cave City which is near Leachville who was a basketball power at that time.  Ricky Norton was from Okolona which is a suburb of Gurdon.  That was sarcasm.  Norton was a jet who was an AAU phenom and noticed by everyone who got on court with him because he was rumored to be as quick and fast as Ricky Davis who was the standard at that time.

I have no clue about Quitman guy for whom the thread was started, but it is hard not to be found by an AAU team if you truly have D1 talent. My med school fishing buddy was Kenny Collins who led the AIC scoring when Scotty Pippen was still around. Kenny came from Valley Springs which is a Harrison suburb without sarcasm.

neahogfan

Brandon Ballard from BIC signed with Astate.  He didnt play AAU, but did win a state title.

DizzyHawgFan

Cave City is nowhere near Leachville.  Batesville maybe, but not Leachville. 

Pippen was a fluke.  Wasn't he basically UCA's jockwasher his 1st year?  Then he grew 1/2 a foot.

yocdaddy

Brandon Ballard - small school, state title, no aau (info from another poster), coached by bill taylor, in the last 10 years.  This is actually the first guy that has been mentioned that is close to meeting the requirements.  However, he did win a state title and Bill Taylor does have connections.  Otherwise, a good example.  All of the others are great players, but they are 15+ years ago, before the revolution of AAU basketball.

oldtimer

I was gonna mention Ricky Norton also, from Okolona.  Ernie Murry from Wabbaseka, wow what a shooter.

jay2000

early to mid 90s, cory carr from kingsland (near fordyce)

went to texas tech and led the big 12 in scoring.  drafted by hawks, played for bulls in 99 (1st year after jordan left) and went overseas after that. 

great, great player and he came from a then class B school. 

iceman5218

Quote from: big dread hog on January 01, 2008, 04:38:27 pm
were small town studs who played big time for AR. Ricky Medlock is a friend, now an opthamologist in Little Rock who can still shoot the free throw as smooth as anyone at any time. Medlock is from Cave City which is near Leachville who was a basketball power at that time.  Ricky Norton was from Okolona which is a suburb of Gurdon.  That was sarcasm.  Norton was a jet who was an AAU phenom and noticed by everyone who got on court with him because he was rumored to be as quick and fast as Ricky Davis who was the standard at that time.

I have no clue about Quitman guy for whom the thread was started, but it is hard not to be found by an AAU team if you truly have D1 talent. My med school fishing buddy was Kenny Collins who led the AIC scoring when Scotty Pippen was still around. Kenny came from Valley Springs which is a Harrison suburb without sarcasm.

Cave City is not were near Leachville (get a map).  Cave City is next to Batesville

yocdaddy

Quote from: jay2000 on January 04, 2008, 11:02:13 am
early to mid 90s, cory carr from kingsland (near fordyce)

went to texas tech and led the big 12 in scoring.  drafted by hawks, played for bulls in 99 (1st year after jordan left) and went overseas after that. 

great, great player and he came from a then class B school. 

Yeah, I remember Cory.  He graduated in 1993 I think.  He did come from a small school, and he was a terrific player.  Do you know if he played AAU?  I think he played for the Wings, not positive though.  Guys like him make it big every great once in awhile.

Desperate Hog

Anybody that is any good and has a chance at a scholarship plays AAU now. I guarantee if you survey every player in D1 NCAA basketball probably 95% or more played summer ball.  That is more important now, unfortunately, than high school ball.  And they play for themselves instead of their team goals so it's very much helter skelter, one on one basketball and very guard based since they control the ball.  Big guys don't flourish as much in AAU. 
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

lr52879

Quote from: Desperate Hog on January 05, 2008, 11:32:12 pm
Anybody that is any good and has a chance at a scholarship plays AAU now. I guarantee if you survey every player in D1 NCAA basketball probably 95% or more played summer ball.
+1.  AAU ball is like a one stop recruiting shop for college coaches and recruiting services.  I think the biggest reason we got Patrick Beverly is because he didn't play AAU ball.  He was a sleeper because the key people hadn't seen him play.

CalHog

Quote from: yocdaddy on December 22, 2007, 09:51:11 pm

Larry Bird, I believe went to a very small high school.