Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Melvin Frazier

Started by -Blu, April 02, 2015, 05:44:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Is he visiting or is this for a tournament or something.

TeamBall#OTB @__melvinnn  ·  3h 3 hours ago
I'll be in Arkansas tomorrow

lefty08

Real deal in the rock? Or a smaller tourney in nw ar?

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ricepig

Sr's aren't playing in AAU tournaments.

jgphillips3

Well, Babb leaving did clear a spot.

Thepigdoctor

He'd really be a great fit for us, would expect him to take a season to adjust, but is definitely one of those players who could show enough flashes that he'll have a number of people calling for a breakout sophomore season.

First things first, let's get this kid on campus!

HOGINTENNESSEE

He is a great athlete

Aren't he and Malik pretty good friends?

The_Iceman

I think people backed off of him because they saw him as an undersized 4 skill wise, like Qualls. But also like Qualls, and maybe earlier, he has quietly developed his skills.

Frazier is much better off the dribble than Qualls.

chiefhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 02, 2015, 09:16:46 pm
He is a great athlete

Aren't he and Malik pretty good friends?
They play or played together on the Wings.

intelligence

No one noticed my comment in the the "2 or more" thread  ;)

MGB1229

He reminds me of a cross between Qualls and Ronnie Brewer.  The guy has tons of potential. 

Hogimus Prime

What are the chances he signs with the Hogs?

The_Iceman

If our staff hasn't reached out to Frazier recently, they really need to. Perfect fit for our system, and hopefully can be plugged in right behind Qualls for his first year.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2015, 09:19:25 am
If our staff hasn't reached out to Frazier recently, they really need to. Perfect fit for our system, and hopefully can be plugged in right behind Qualls for his first year.
We want Frazier. I do not think Frazier knows if he has qualified yet, though.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: jry04 on April 03, 2015, 10:56:24 am
We want Frazier. I do not think Frazier knows if he has qualified yet, though.

Let me be the first...

Down goes Frazier!

nwahogfan1

I also heard that he has not qualified.   Wonder if that is the issue?  Those that have watched him play is his skills more like Qualls or Harris?

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 03, 2015, 02:04:11 pm
I also heard that he has not qualified.   Wonder if that is the issue?  Those that have watched him play is his skills more like Qualls or Harris?

Poor man's Sonny Weems? His leaping and dunking is more like Weems, but his shooting skills aren't that refined yet.

PorkRinds

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 03, 2015, 02:04:11 pm

He's like a black Wes Welker.

Swinesong1

My biggest question is his height.  Have seen it listed anywhere from 6'4" to 6'7".

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 03, 2015, 02:20:37 pm
My biggest question is his height.  Have seen it listed anywhere from 6'4" to 6'7".

From watching his videos, I'm guessing he is the exact same height as Qualls.

Danny J

I have watched a lot of highlights on him....can he shoot....at all? All I see him do is dunk or lay it in.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Danny J on April 03, 2015, 06:13:10 pm
I have watched a lot of highlights on him....can he shoot....at all? All I see him do is dunk or lay it in.

I'd say he's where Qualls was his Senior season at  Huntington High. Developing a better shot is fixable.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Danny J on April 03, 2015, 06:13:10 pm

He shoots in this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDUHKwWR7F0

passinghog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 03, 2015, 02:20:37 pm

He looks taller than 6'4", easily.

RazorAg

Frazier played with Elfrid Payton Elite tonight against the Wings. He's 6'5-6'6. His game is similar to Qualls at the same stage, although his ball skills and are a little ahead. He's also more fluid than Qualls. Just like Qualls, though, he's spent a lot of his HS career playing around the paint, but expanded more into a wing this past year.

He looked good tonight. Reportedly waiting on test score. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Hawg Red

RazorAg, do you have a sense of where the Hogs stand with him if he gets an adequate test score?

-Blu

Just came from The Warmup tournament.  Melvin Frazier was playing for Elfrid Payton Elite.  I was pretty close to the court and got to see him standing next to other players, particularly Malik Monk, because he was guarding him most of the time, and he's about 2 inches taller than Monk, so if Monk is 6'3 then Frazier is around 6'5.

I was really impressed with what I saw from Frazier, you don't realize how athletic he is until you really see him play in person, he was doing some spectacular dunks just doing warmups.  I can't really think of a player to compare him to, Michael Qualls would probably be the closets thing I can think of, although difference between him and Qualls, he gets most of his baskets under the basket on rebounds, putbacks, and operating under the basket.  He can step out and hit a 3, but it wasn't all that accurate from what I could see.  But, as far as athleticism and ability to run the floor he's on par with Qualls.

With all that said, him playing in a AAU tournament in April, likely means he won't be playing D1 college ball next year.  I could be wrong on that, but I've rarely heard of a senior that's about to sign playing AAU ball.  I will ask around and see if anybody knows his status for this year.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on April 03, 2015, 10:55:40 pm
Frazier played with Elfrid Payton Elite tonight against the Wings. He's 6'5-6'6. His game is similar to Qualls at the same stage, although his ball skills and are a little ahead. He's also more fluid than Qualls. Just like Qualls, though, he's spent a lot of his HS career playing around the paint, but expanded more into a wing this past year.

He looked good tonight. Reportedly waiting on test score. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

LOL, beat me to it.

RazorAg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2015, 11:01:51 pm
RazorAg, do you have a sense of where the Hogs stand with him if he gets an adequate test score?

No, not at this time

Razorod

We can hope that he is showcasing his talents for someone on the coaching staff. I imagine CMA is at the Final Four.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Razorod on April 04, 2015, 06:22:16 am
We can hope that he is showcasing his talents for someone on the coaching staff. I imagine CMA is at the Final Four.

I believe I heard Marcus on the radio say no coaches from any schools will be at the warmup. That being said the Arkansas coaches have seen Frazier a lot.

Dudley twitted after the game that Frazier is waiting on a test score to be eligible

RazorAg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 04, 2015, 07:21:35 am
I believe I heard Marcus on the radio say no coaches from any schools will be at the warmup. That being said the Arkansas coaches have seen Frazier a lot.

Dudley twitted after the game that Frazier is waiting on a test score to be eligible

Right, no coaches at this weekend's event.

-Blu

Here's an article posted this morning on Frazier's recruitment.  He has us in his top 4, but still awaiting his ACT scores.

http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/499708?referrer_id=

LAHog124

Jesus, this kid can jump out the gym.
"If there's one thing I hate it's losing. If there's two things I hate it it's losing and getting cancer." -Kenny Powers

navyhog24

I bet he's ours if his scores qualify him

-Blu

nwahogfan1

Lots of kids at his level are good dunkers.  Does he have a good outside game??  Handles?  Can he blow by anyone and get his own shot? 

The Hogfather

Watching that last mix tape, he is clearly ahead of where Qualls was at the same point.  I would really like to add this kid!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: -Blu on April 05, 2015, 10:15:46 pm
Mixtape from this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKOkOwQSPA

Woww.  I think while Qualls is the better dunker overall because he either jumps higher or has longer arms, Melvin does do some dunks I don't think Qualls can do like the between the legs and behind the back.  Really hope he qualifies and comes to arkansas.

-Blu

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 05, 2015, 10:25:09 pm
Lots of kids at his level are good dunkers.  Does he have a good outside game??  Handles?  Can he blow by anyone and get his own shot?

How many kids you see dunking like that in high school?  I've seen a lot of high school games, and seeing him in person his athleticism is pretty impressive, he can jump out of the gym.  To answer the other questions his outside game is "ok", he threw up a couple bad shots from what I seen but made a a few as well.  I don't know how his high school stats, but I would assume he's a 30 something percent 3 point shooter. And he does have the handles to drive past people, you can see a couple of those in the mixtape.  And not trying to say he's Malik Monk or anything,  I think his ranking of lower tier 4-star is about accurate, probably a 4-year player.  He would be a good get in this late period IMO.

LJHOG

My little granddaughter watched the tape sitting in my lap.  She said he is a very good backit-ball man.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on April 05, 2015, 11:56:28 pm
How many kids you see dunking like that in high school?  I've seen a lot of high school games, and seeing him in person his athleticism is pretty impressive, he can jump out of the gym.  To answer the other questions his outside game is "ok", he threw up a couple bad shots from what I seen but made a a few as well.  I don't know how his high school stats, but I would assume he's a 30 something percent 3 point shooter. And he does have the handles to drive past people, you can see a couple of those in the mixtape.  And not trying to say he's Malik Monk or anything,  I think his ranking of lower tier 4-star is about accurate, probably a 4-year player.  He would be a good get in this late period IMO.

If he makes the grades, I think Arkansas has a legit shot at him. Seeing what Michael Qualls has been able to do here has to be enticing for him, as well as this being a winning basketball program again.

WorfHog

Quote from: LJHOG on April 06, 2015, 12:47:25 am
My little granddaughter watched the tape sitting in my lap.  She said he is a very good backit-ball man.

Better analysis than most of this board.

MGB1229

WarPig88

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 05, 2015, 10:25:09 pm

Qualls had none of the qualities you require coming out of highschool.

You can't teach tall and you can't teach athleticism. You can teach the game though.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 06, 2015, 09:50:06 am
Qualls had none of the qualities you require coming out of highschool.

You can't teach tall and you can't teach athleticism. You can teach the game though.

I'm not sure you can teach shooting, either.  I think you can help a kid improve his shot, but the ability to shoot the ball is God given as well.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 11:41:06 am
I'm not sure you can teach shooting, either.  I think you can help a kid improve his shot, but the ability to shoot the ball is God given as well.

From Qualls' junior year in high school til now, he has improved his shot incredibly.

Portis shot the ball from under his chin in high school.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 06, 2015, 11:44:58 am
From Qualls' junior year in high school til now, he has improved his shot incredibly.

Portis shot the ball from under his chin in high school.

Like I said, you can help a kid improve his shot.

????
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: LJHOG on April 06, 2015, 12:47:25 am
LOL!

Thepigdoctor

The comparisons to Qualls are all athleticism based. Frazier is much more fluid and has far better ball handling skills from all of the videos I've seen. Really hope he nails the ACT and we get this kid on board. Looks like his ceiling is very high.

72756Hog

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on April 09, 2015, 09:34:24 am
The comparisons to Qualls are all athleticism based. Frazier is much more fluid and has far better ball handling skills from all of the videos I've seen. Really hope he nails the ACT and we get this kid on board. Looks like his ceiling is very high.
That's the best description of the difference that I've seen: fluid. Qualls still looks awkward handling the ball (that might just be his 6'11" wingspan at work though) and Frazier looks like he is much more in control of the ball.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just drag you down to their level and win by experience.