Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 Years Ago Today (2/13)

Started by hydrophonic, February 13, 2007, 09:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrophonic

On a Thursday edition of RAW HBK forfeited the WWF Title because he lost his smile.

Or because he didn't want to return the favor to Bret at WrestleMania 13.  Undertaker v Sid was a GREAT main event.  Thanks Shawn.  ;)
"The future sucks." "Change it."

jbcarol

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 13, 2007, 09:20:29 am
On a Thursday edition of RAW HBK forfeited the WWF Title because he lost his smile.

Or because he didn't want to return the favor to Bret at WrestleMania 13.  Undertaker v Sid was a GREAT main event.  Thanks Shawn.  ;)

Do you remember why it was on Thursday?  Because of the Dog Show?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TorsinAHog

Googled it and couldnt figure it out so gave up.  Maybe they wanted to face wcw thunder?
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

jbell96

Quote from: TorsinAHog on February 13, 2007, 10:08:14 pm
Googled it and couldnt figure it out so gave up.  Maybe they wanted to face wcw thunder?

Thunder didn't start airing until 1998 so that's not why they had it on Thursday. If I was a betting man I'd say it was b/c of the dog show.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbell96 on February 13, 2007, 10:26:52 pm
Quote from: TorsinAHog on February 13, 2007, 10:08:14 pm

Thunder didn't start airing until 1998 so that's not why they had it on Thursday. If I was a betting man I'd say it was b/c of the dog show.

I bet your right.  My only question is do the ratings for the Dog Show bring in that much higher ratings or did USA sign some century long contract.  Isn't that what Animal Planet is for.  That's like going to the Science Fiction channel and trying to find wrestling.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hydrophonic

I've heard that the dog show gets INCREDIBLE ratings.

jbcarol

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 14, 2007, 07:57:46 am
I've heard that the dog show gets INCREDIBLE ratings.

Well I guess they are doing the right thing on USA.  I thought they were just throwing them a bone once a year.  My DirectTV has a function where I can instantly see the relative popularity of all shows on the satellite at a point in time.  It does not show the actual numbers for comparison.  Raw does very well against all competition in that 9-11 PM EST time slot.

hydrophonic

Quote from: jbcarol on February 14, 2007, 08:24:12 amRaw does very well against all competition in that 9-11 PM EST time slot.

Yea...

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 07, 2007, 08:12:20 amFrom IMDB:
QuoteWrestling has once again replaced football as the most popular sport on cable TV. And USA Channel, which carries WWE matches, replaced ESPN, which carried football, as the most-watched cable TV network during the past month. Half the top-20 shows during January were WWE wrestling contests.
http://imdb.com/news/sb/2007-01-31

jbcarol

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 14, 2007, 08:28:29 am
Quote from: jbcarol on February 14, 2007, 08:24:12 amRaw does very well against all competition in that 9-11 PM EST time slot.

Yea...

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 07, 2007, 08:12:20 amFrom IMDB:
QuoteWrestling has once again replaced football as the most popular sport on cable TV. And USA Channel, which carries WWE matches, replaced ESPN, which carried football, as the most-watched cable TV network during the past month. Half the top-20 shows during January were WWE wrestling contests.
http://imdb.com/news/sb/2007-01-31

If there is anyway you can get the actuals on Dog Show vs. Raw on Monday nite of the prior week that would be fantastic.  Of course you are not my go-fer but I think that would be interesting.  I would think if the dog show was tape delayed that folks would not be able to tell the difference and it might even pick up the pace a little.  Thanks in advance.

hydrophonic

I want to see the number for the dog show, but I can't promise I'll go out of my way to find it.  I'll post it if I see it though.

jbcarol

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 14, 2007, 09:02:58 am
I want to see the number for the dog show, but I can't promise I'll go out of my way to find it.  I'll post it if I see it though.

How can I blame you?  Consider the request.  Would you find the ratings numbers for the Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show?  The other consideration is that maybe their sponsors are off the chart providing ad revenue.  Like golf.  How many people watch that?  And if you are any kind of golfer and it's nice where you live you ought to be on the links and not watching on TV.  But the only time you see those clubs and golf balls that will magically improve my game are on the tournament show.

Not like wrestling at all.  It has a broad appeal. 

rasorback4life

Mediocrity Rules!!!

rasorback4life

Is raw still going to be live on Thursday or a taping?
Mediocrity Rules!!!

hydrophonic

I think RAW was tapped Monday night.

TorsinAHog

I was joking about WCW thunder.  I forgot that had even existed until this thread.  Back then tennis and dogs seemed to get Raw moved. I figure it was to cold for tennis.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Big Papa Satan

Otherwise known as Bret beating the darn out of him backstage.

jbcarol

Quote from: Uncle Ivan™ on February 14, 2007, 06:21:54 pm

Otherwise known as Bret beating the crap out of him backstage.

How did that relate to this so-called Montreal S....job my son keeps telling me about?  Apparently Mr. McMahon stopped being the lead announcer and started being Corporate Boss that everyone loves to hate.

hydrophonic

Rey Pygsterio

"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

jbcarol

My only question was, have you ever seen a more accurate spitter and a bigger loogie than the Hitman spat at and into Mr. McMahon's eye.  I always wondered if it was work, shoot, some combo.

Rey how is knee doing.  I am going to miss Smackdown Friday.

hydrophonic

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on February 15, 2007, 09:23:49 am
It was not a work...

So it is merely a coincidence that a documentary was being made about Bret Hart at the same time as one of the most infamous incidents in WWF history?

And merely a coincidence that the promoter discovered his greatest character - Mr. McMahon - in the aftermath?

jbcarol

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 15, 2007, 09:57:32 am
It was not a work...

So it is merely a coincidence that a documentary was being made about Bret Hart at the same time as one of the most infamous incidents in WWF history?

And merely a coincidence that the promoter discovered his greatest character - Mr. McMahon - in the aftermath?

Would be a bigger coincidence that "Dark Side of the Moon" syncing with the "Wizard of Oz" in my mind?  But give us more.

hydrophonic

Quote from: jbcarol on February 15, 2007, 10:18:20 amWould be a bigger coincidence that "Dark Side of the Moon" syncing with the "Wizard of Oz" in my mind?

Any of you that dig the "play a movie, listen to something else" routine - which I do, I LOVE it in fact, one of my favorite things - should watch Herzog's "Woyzeck" while listening to Golijov's "Ainadamar."  Both are about 80 minutes and sync up more than they don't.  Really uncanny.  I bet you can get Woyzeck from Netflix, but you'll have to buy Ainadamar because it is about 30 seconds to long to be copyable.  It would be worth it though.

Back on topic.

I've never seen anything that I considered "proof positive" about WWS and the MSJ one way or the other.  Nobody has been able to convince me it wasn't a work, and I've never convinced anybody that it was.  My first reaction to WWS was "this is a work."

In the interest of fairness I should admit that I'm susceptible to "conspiracy theory", especially when the only other option is "coincidence theory."

Big Papa Satan

This is the part I like.  Comes from one of Foley's books.

"Bret said, 'Vince, I am going to take a shower.  If you are still in here when I get out, I am going to punch you in the fricking mouth!'

What happened, I asked Owen.

'Well', Owen says matter of factly, 'Vince stayed in there with Shane.  When Bret got out, he walked over to Vince and punched him in the mouth.  Vince went down, and Shane got him up and they got out of there.'"

Lovely.

jbell96

Another funny thing that happened that night was Shane accidentally stepped on Vince's foot when he was helping him up and sprained his ankle. It was rather funny if I do say so myself.

hydrophonic

I've always thought it was odd that Vince chose to go on RAW the next night with a black eye.  He got that black eye behind the scenes, I doubt many fans knew he had been punched.  Even in 1997 it would have been easy to hide a black eye with makeup.

I wonder why Vince chose not to?

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 15, 2007, 10:18:20 am
Quote from: hydrophonic on February 15, 2007, 09:57:32 am
It was not a work...

Would be a bigger coincidence that "Dark Side of the Moon" syncing with the "Wizard of Oz" in my mind?  But give us more.

Is this experience worth it?  It would be two hours of my life I could never get back again.  Kind of like posting this evening huh?  :)

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 15, 2007, 09:27:37 am
My only question was, have you ever seen a more accurate spitter and a bigger loogie than the Hitman spat at and into Mr. McMahon's eye.  I always wondered if it was work, shoot, some combo.

Rey how is knee doing.  I am going to miss Smackdown Friday.

I got to see Smackdown Friday.  Are you going to be Trump's rep and take down Umaga!!!!