Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Evolution will punish you if you're selfish and mean"

Started by hogwild210, August 01, 2013, 12:43:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwild210

Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: hogwild210 on August 01, 2013, 12:43:09 pm
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/evolution-will-punish-you-if-youre-selfish-and-mean/

Super interesting. Makes sense if looked at long term.

Makes perfect sense - and it still won't stop the local fundies from asserting that their redundant and unneccesary imaginary pal is somehow neccesary for morality ;)
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Wild Bill Hog

hogwild210

RNC

Moved to vents n' rumors by an angry Christian, I'll bet, and I'll bet I even know which one.

"Ignorance can carry us brothers, we just have to stick together and kill anyone/anything who doesn't agree!"

Applies to both him and these guys' theoretical rats in theoretical cages.

Of course it makes perfect sense.  Longevity in a social creature's species has to be linked to the success of the society.  That's why a central premise of religions such as Christianity and Islam has to be to disregard the longevity of those societies, and try to get people to buy into hollow predictions of its failure. 

kingofdequeen

let people have their own beliefs without belittling them.  No matter what that belief is and no matter how stupid you may think it is.

RNC

Quote from: kingofdequeen on August 02, 2013, 02:44:35 pm
let people have their own beliefs without belittling them.  No matter what that belief is and no matter how stupid you may think it is.

No.

Veritas Arkansas

....who are you and what did you do with KODQ?
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Dr Swineglove

Good point - however, stupid ideas tend to have objectively bad consequences for everyone.  And too often it is the people with the stupidist ideas who work the hardest to impose their ideas on everyone else.  To the extent that any given stupid belief is benign, then fair enough.  Which is why you don't see to many of we skeptics/agnostics calling out the New Age movement, astrologers, neo-pagans, ghost hunters and the like for their fact-free ways of viewing the world.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

kingofdequeen

i'm late for my gem therapy and chiropractor appointments.

hogwild210

Quote from: RNC on August 02, 2013, 02:42:03 pm
Moved to vents n' rumors by an angry Christian, I'll bet, and I'll bet I even know which one.

"Ignorance can carry us brothers, we just have to stick together and kill anyone/anything who doesn't agree!"

Of course it makes perfect sense.  Longevity in a social creature's species has to be linked to the success of the society.  That's why a central premise of religions such as Christianity and Islam has to be to disregard the longevity of those societies, and try to get people to buy into hollow predictions of its failure.

I actually posted it here originally...not really another place for it.

BENTON PIGGEE

Said the Jews in Germany in 1930.

/sarcasm on

I infer what games they played for their research. Halo? COD? ???

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: hogwild210 on August 01, 2013, 12:43:09 pm
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/evolution-will-punish-you-if-youre-selfish-and-mean/

Super interesting. Makes sense if looked at long term.

I've explained this for years, but the article, lmao, written by who what CHRISToph ADAMi, wth, are you kidding me...?

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

RNC

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on August 02, 2013, 08:16:44 pm
Said the Jews in Germany in 1930.

Pretty much!

Society has to make decisions for its own survival.  Opinions borne out of ignorance, therefore, cannot be welcome in that process.

Michaelt

Quote from: RNC on August 02, 2013, 02:42:03 pm

Quote from: hogwild210 on August 02, 2013, 04:11:52 pm
I actually posted it here originally...not really another place for it.

hehe... hehe... hehe....

All that hot air and misplaced rage for no reason. :)
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Michaelt on August 04, 2013, 06:23:34 pm
hehe... hehe... hehe....

All that hot air and misplaced rage for no reason. :)

Says the guy who spends an inordinate amount of his time hanging out on the agnostic thread, making snarky comments, personal attacks and strawman arguments and then evading direct questions ;)

Michaelt

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on August 06, 2013, 09:15:54 am
...says the guy who has contributed nothing to the conversation.

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on August 06, 2013, 09:20:52 am
Says the guy who spends an inordinate amount of his time hanging out on the agnostic thread, making snarky comments, personal attacks and strawman arguments and then evading direct questions ;)

Irony is not lost as long as you're around :)
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.