Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malik Newman will transfer from State

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2016, 06:48:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/737339114421391360

Quote6-foot-3 guard will transfer after one season in Starkville.

Horatio Webster, indicated to The Clarion-Ledger's Michael Bonner there was a "trust issue" between Newman and Mississippi State coach Ben Howland.

"I appreciate all of Malik's hard work, and I wish him the very best moving forward," Howland said in a statement. "I want nothing but the best for Malik and his family."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/737400848150585344

Quote"I think it was a trust issue. I don't think that Malik trusted Ben. Not saying he's a bad coach or anything to that nature. We'd be crazy to say that he's a terrible coach," Horatio Webster told the Clarion-Ledger. "But he wasn't the coach for Malik. I don't think Ben trusted Malik so I think the feeling was mutual. I don't think they trusted each other."

Howland chose not to comment on Mississippi State's gameplan regarding Newman and style of play.

"Bottom line is Malik and his dad feel like it's better for him if they come back to school and attend elsewhere," Howland said.

"I think maybe in the recruiting process of Malik going in and thinking he was going to play one way and he was playing another," Webster said. "Ben has to do whatever he thinks is right for his team. And who in the hell is going to question Ben? Ben, look at his resume. That doesn't mean he's a bad coach. It doesn't mean anyone is questioning him. It means the style of play just didn't fit Malik."

NCAA regulations require transfers to sit out a year before becoming eligible. That requirement didn't hinder Newman's decision.

"By him sitting out a year, I think that's probably the best thing that could have ever happened to him," Webster said. "I hate it for him to be at my alma mater and not stick. But him sitting out a year will allow him to go and work on those things and all that stuff. I don't think he would have been able to work on those things at Mississippi State."

The marriage between Newman and Mississippi State was only supposed to last a year.

"He was just never in a happy place," Webster said. "People were proud he was going to Mississippi State. People knew Malik had the Magic Johnson smile and he was happy and basketball was his life.

"I think in a sense some of that was taken away. I'm not saying that Ben took it away. But I think some of it was taken away due to injuries, due to style of play, due to his immaturity. Everybody played a part in it."

jbcarol

247: Former five-star prospect Malik Newman is leaving Mississippi State. Where is he headed?

QuoteNewman, the No. 8 overall prospect in the country according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the class of 2015, elected to stay home and play for the Bulldogs coming out of Callaway High School in Jackson, Miss.

Newman had offers from hoops powerhouses like Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona and others coming out of high school.

Believes Newman wants to be a lead guard.

jbcarol

Julius Kim ‏@JKim97 8h8 hours ago

2017 four-star guard Nick Weatherspoon tells me NC State has reached out to him and Malik Newman to possibly play together.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago

Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman will visit Kansas this week, source told @CBSSports. Also expects to visit NC State soon.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h2 hours ago

'We have not set up not one visit. We haven't even gotten our release yet' Horatio Webster on Malik Newman

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DJournalnow/status/737997160051056640

https://twitter.com/JohnLPitts/status/738067654737432576

QuoteThe marriage between Mississippi State and Malik Newman was only supposed to last a year.

The plan all along was for the can't-miss five-star prospect to play for his father's alma mater for one season then move on for what both presumed to be a bright future in the NBA.

But things did not work out like either party anticipated – and the only thing to come true from the initial scenario is that Newman's time in Starkville would end after his freshman year.

The former McDonald's All-American did indeed declare for the NBA Draft back in March only to pull his name out before last week's deadline to return to college. However, that college won't be MSU after the university granted Newman his requested release on Monday.

How did things breakdown between Newman and the Bulldogs?

Perhaps only Newman, his father (former MSU hoopster Horatio Webster) and coach Ben Howland know all the answers to that question. Webster mentioned a lack of trust between his son and Howland as one of the reasons that led to this decision.

But there are several other observations one can attain from watching this past season...

Cannot discount academic eligibility.  Would make Newman not playing his preferred position a moot point.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/738737304672587776

QuoteTen of those schools play in Power 5 conference, including one in the Southeastern Conference.  Vanderbilt is the only conference foe to inquire about Newman, joining Kansas, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Arizona, North Carolina State, Arizona State, Miami, TCU, and Iowa State.

Butler, Western Kentucky, Colorado State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Cal State Northbridge have also shown interest. Schools are required to go through Mississippi State before directly contacting Newman.

Kansas was heavily involved in Newman's recruitment out of Callaway...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/739422714847502336

QuoteMalik Newman has not yet scheduled visits to N.C. State or anywhere else, but word that they are interested has already spread to recruits.

"When [assistant] coach [Heath Schroyer] told me about it, I wasn't surprised because I have already been hearing about N.C. State and Malik," said Nick Weatherspoon, a 6-foot-2 four-star guard out of Velma Jackson (MS). "It would be nice. We could play together because we are from the same state and almost the same area but if I feel that if it's not a place for me then I'll have to put some more thought into it. It's big for N.C. State wanting us to play together but it would be hard for me to make that decision."

The 6-4 Newman, who is being recruited to N.C. State by Orlando Early, has also been linked Kansas after opting to transfer from MIssissippi State.

Mississippi State is where Nick's brother Quinndary Weatherspoon plays, thus the assumption by many that Nick will land there, too.

"It's big because my brother and I have a real good chemistry on the court," he said. "What we both can do especially on the fast break playing with my brother would be big but if that's not the best situation for me I won't be there but it's very big."

Weatherspoon, who averaged 22.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game at Velma. is being recruited hard by Ohio State, North Carolina, Louisville, N.C. State and Georgetown, according to his AAU coach Omhar Carter.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 52m52 minutes ago

Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman is currently visiting NC State, source told @CBSSports. Best transfer left on the market.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 52m52 minutes ago

Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman is also scheduled to visit Miami this weekend, source told ESPN.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 11h11 hours ago Manhattan, NY

When he committed to Mississippi State, Malik Newman was the projected No. 4 pick in 2016. Now he's No. 35 in 2017

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/743596141200150528

QuoteAfter leaving N.C. State Thursday morning, Malik Newman is slated to visit Miami beginning Monday...

Miami had also been involved for Duke transfer Derryck Thornton, who is now reportedly down to Kansas and USC.

Newman also visited Western Kentucky last week and may visit Oregon...

"Sitting out a year is best for Malik because he knows he has to mature and get his body in better shape to play college basketball," Horatio Webster, Newman's father, told Scout.com. "While his offense is good, he knows he still needs to work on building his body up and improving his defense. He can work on those things while he sits out.

"I don't know if he was used the right way, either," Webster said. "Fifty percent of the time he was just sitting in the corner, which I think Ben is a phenomenal coach. Ben did whatever he could to make your team win so I'm not knocking him for that but I just think Malik is really good with the ball in his hand and he didn't get a chance to show that part of his game, either."

Sounds like Newman was not ready to move without the ball.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Malik Newman will visit Oregon Thursday-Saturday and Miami is no longer an option for the State transfer

QuoteNewman visited Miami earlier this week and has also visited Western Kentucky and N.C. State last week,

The 6-foot-4 Newman considered N.C. State, along with several others, before opting for Mississippi State, and now the Wolfpack are back in the hunt. He will have to sit out the 2016-17...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/746114905699323904

QuoteFor years, the 2016 draft was pegged as Newman's entrance into professional basketball. Instead, after a year at Mississippi State, the Jackson native withdrew from the NBA draft and announced he would transfer.  For the first time in his career, some doubted Newman.

March 23, 2015 - Three days after firing Rick Ray, Mississippi State announced Ben Howland would be the program's new coach. The former UCLA coach immediately promised to bring in high level talent.

April 24, 2015 - Malik Newman announced his decision to attend his father's alma mater. "I never thought he would choose Mississippi State. Not in a million years," Webster said...

Howland told ESPN, "To fulfill his dream of being an NBA player. The fact that I've had five players from the point position play in the NBA, was really good from the standpoint of them believing I know what I'm doing."

Oct. 9, 2015 - Mississippi State fans saw Malik Newman for the first time in maroon and white. The freshman dazzled the crowd making 13 of 15 shots in the first round of the 3-point contest.

"It was awesome," Newman said.

Oct. 21, 2015 - Newman is named second-team All-SEC as Mississippi State was picked eighth in the league

Oct. 31, 2015 - Newman missed MSU's first scrimmage against UAB with a turf toe injury.

Nov. 6, 2015 - Quinndary Weatherspoon shined in the Bulldogs' first public exhibition. He had 13 points, four assists and two steals in the first half against Fort Valley State. Newman, on the same day ESPN named him one of the top 25 players in the country, watched from the sidelines with a turf toe injury.

"We're being very precautionary with this cast," Howland said.

Dec. 23, 2015 - Newman returned to Jackson and scores 20 against Northern Colorado in a 93-69 win. He shot 6 of 11 from the field, including 4 of 8 from deep.

"He's a really good 3-point shooter, but we got to get him to have an in-between game...," Howland said.

Dec. 28, 2015 - Newman is named SEC Freshman of the Week.

Jan. 16, 2016 - Mississippi State dropped to 0-4 in the SEC for the first time since 1993 after an 80-75 loss to Tennessee a home. Newman scored seven points on 3 of 15 shooting.

"He's gotta get better in every aspect of his game," Howland said.

Jan. 23, 2016 - The Malik Newman that everyone envisioned showed up against Ole Miss. He scored a career-high 25 points on 7 of 10 shooting as the Bulldogs beat the Rebels, 83-77 to capture their first SEC win of the season.

March 5, 2016 - Newman played his final home game as a Bulldog scoring 17 points in a 79-66 win against Auburn. After the game, the freshman said he hadn't thought about the NBA Draft.

March 22, 2016 - Newman, with Howland by his side, declared for the NBA draft.

May 13, 2016 - Newman completed the NBA combine. He impressed in some areas while struggled in others. Most scouts and analyst believed he would benefit from another year in college.

May 25, 2016 - Newman withdrew from the NBA draft

May 30, 2016 - Mississippi State officially announced Newman would seek to transfer.

"It was best that he and Mississippi State part ways," Newman's father, Horatio Webster said. "We really didn't get a lot into specifics but I think Ben was on board with it as well as Malik. I think it was a trust issue. I don't think that Malik trusted Ben and not saying he's a bad coach or anything to that nature.  I would be crazy to sit here and say he's a terrible coach. He just wasn't the coach for Malik. I don't think that Ben trusted Malik. So I think the feeling was mutual. I don't think they trusted each other."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 14m14 minutes ago

Malik Newman likely decision Friday, source told ESPN. Just visited Kansas - they loved him out of HS, would not be shocked if ends up there

jbcarol