Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou recruiting and NIL

Started by mizzouman, August 04, 2023, 08:24:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Some of you may know, but Missouri has a law that if you go to a Missouri high school, you can start collecting on your NIL deal as soon as you sign your NLI.  This means that any kid in Missouri who signs with Mizzou can starting making money on Dec 20th.  If they go out of state, then they would have to abide by that out of state laws regarding NIL which in most cases says that you cannot collect until you enroll in June, unless you are an early enrollee.  This varies from state to state.

How does this help Mizzou this year?  There are two 5-star kids in Missouri (Nwaneri and Wingo).  As of today, both are leaning slight to Mizzou, Wingo more so, due to 2 reasons.  1) family wants them to be close to home, 2) NIL which I'm hearing could be A LOT.  Nwaneri is announcing on Aug 14th and Wingo Dec 20th.

Could Mizzou sign two 5 star high school kids in the same class for the first time?  Perhaps...I put the chances of signing both at 55%.  I would put signing one at 85%. 

Last, the third ranked player in Missouri is Jeremiah McLellan.  He's leaning towards Ohio State but Mizzou is in the mixed.  Word is that he will commit to OSU on August 13th, but there's still time for Mizzou to change his mind with NIL.  The reason he set his commitment for this date is because the word is that OSU has an expiration date on this decision.  Yes, this does happen.  So, he's grabbing a spot on that roster and will still negotiate with Mizzou on the NIL.

KalenTheBoar

Congrats to you guys if you get Nwaneri and Wingo.

mizzouman

Quote from: SooieHog on August 04, 2023, 08:28:34 amCongrats to you guys if you get Nwaneri and Wingo.

We'll see.  Lot's of time between now and Dec. 20th. 

nationwish

I'm all for it. Missouri signs more elite local talent, develops them a year, then they transfer to the better programs in college.

mizzouman

Quote from: nationwish on August 04, 2023, 09:54:58 amI'm all for it. Missouri signs more elite local talent, develops them a year, then they transfer to the better programs in college.
I know what you're getting but I'll respond like this.  If that other program will pay more that Mizzou is willing to pay, then I will happy for them.

mizzouman

I have to be clear in the law in Missouri regarding NIL.

The law, which goes into effect August 28th, basically says that an in state player can start earning NIL money when he signs his NLI, Dec. 20th, OR, other written communication to enroll.  So, in state kids do NOT have to wait until signing day.  If an in state kid signs, let's say for example, a financial aid agreement with Mizzou, at anytime after August 28th, the kid can start earning their money. 

This is a risk for Mizzou since these agreements are one sided.  But, the risk is worth it for a 5 star kid.

Other states, I'm sure, will pass similar legislation.

TheGrove68

There seems to be a lot of Teeth gnashing at the Mizzou NIL law. Other states are free to pass as you said similar legislation or not.

So Far it appears Mizzou has found the $$$$ to at least be competitive in the NIL market. Of course it's not that complicated. Focus the Dollars on QB,WR,OL,DE and DB's and then dole out the rest for some developmental players and hidden gems and Coach them up.   

At the end of the day I doubt things change a whole lot. The Blue Bloods will have the $$ to pay for a 2 deep roster full of top talent. After that everyone else will succeed or not succeed based on their talent analysis and the ability to entice $$ those players on campus, and the Staff's ability to land TP players who can contribute and have limited options to transfer.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

jbcarol

Steve Wiltfong
@SWiltfong247
·

Logged a @247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast regarding Lee's Summit (Mo.) North five-star DL Williams Nwaneri, who will announce his college decision on Monday afternoon:

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

mizzouman

Quote from: jbcarol on August 13, 2023, 05:33:28 pmSteve Wiltfong
@SWiltfong247
·

Logged a @247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast regarding Lee's Summit (Mo.) North five-star DL Williams Nwaneri, who will announce his college decision on Monday afternoon:

Looks like Mizzou is in good shape but you never know what a 17/18 year old kid will do until they do it.  If he does commit to Mizzou, signs a FAA, he could technically start collecting on his NIL in the next couple of weeks.

mizzouman

One 5 star in the fold....waiting for one more.

jbcarol

Top in-state prospect, 4-star WR Isaiah Mozee locks in Missouri official visit
by:
Collin Ginnan

QuoteLee's Summit North's been good to Drink on the recruiting trail, and the Tigers are looking to recapture that success in the 2025 recruiting cycle.

Isaiah Mozee has locked in an official visit to Columbia from June 21-23, he announced on social media.

Mozee has unofficially visited Mizzou a number of times, including at the end of January. A week and a half before that visit, Drinkwitz visited Mozee at his high school.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Hayes Fawcett@Hayesfawcett3

BREAKING: Four-Star WR Isaiah Mozee has Committed to Oregon, he tells me for @on3recruits

The 6'1 200 WR from Lee's Summit, MO chose the Ducks over Nebraska, Mizzou, & Ole Miss

"All Glory to God 🦆"

https://on3.com/db/isaiah-mozee-147162