Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you see Arkansas winning an SEC title under Anderson?

Started by ArkansasI, February 21, 2018, 02:48:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

This same question has been asked in MMQ about Chad Morris concerning football program.  It is a far better question to ask about Mike as it relates to basketball.

My answer:  No, unfortunately.

Letsroll1200

hogsanity

Regular season or SECT? No to reg season. Maybe on SECT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tick Hog

jst01

ArkansasI

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

majp51

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 21, 2018, 02:48:37 pm
This same question has been asked in MMQ about Chad Morris concerning football program.  It is a far better question to ask about Mike as it relates to basketball.

Well what exactly do you mean? A regular season title? The answer is absolutely not, simply because in all his years coaching as a Head Coach he has not accomplished that at any level and his teams inevitably have a mid season let down that leaves them on the outside looking in.

If you mean an SEC Tournament Title, then absolutely his teams could do that. Because his teams are always good enough to win if the gel for that game. And you don't need to win a season, you just need to get a good draw in the SEC tourney, and win the draw you get.

hogsanity

But it does not matter. You do not have to win the SEC or the SECT to get to play for a NC. You just have to make the NCAAT.

Now, if the question is " Do you see a final 4 or a nc?" the answer is no I do not.

Atlhogfan1

Maybe.  Take a season like the current one.  Conference has depth to it but not a great team.  One more impact player for the Hogs and we may have gotten to 12-13 wins and at least a share.  As long as Cal is at UK, it's going to be tough timing having an up season while the Cats have a down season.  Mike is as owned by UK as he was KU when at Mizzou.  And UK losing 7-8 SEC games is certainly a down season.  But other than UK, the SEC does not have a top level program and no sign of one emerging to join UK.  Florida's run ended with Billy D's departure.  So it's possible I guess.

Also have to consider how many more seasons Mike will be the coach.  He is 58.  I don't see a title next season and probably not in 2020.  If most of these recruits pan out and stay in the program, perhaps in 2021 or 22.   That is a big if. Beyond that, probably depends on what the state produces and how many years he stays. 

I personally don't care about an SEC Championship other than it would be good for his program to finally achieve something of note.  The NCAAT, seeding in it, consistent success in it with an ability to get into the second weekend and maybe a F4 or two at some point should be the focus.  If the program gets to the point it can do this, then competing for conference championships would probably come with it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: majp51 on February 21, 2018, 03:10:21 pm
Well what exactly do you mean? A regular season title? The answer is absolutely not, simply because in all his years coaching as a Head Coach he has not accomplished that at any level and his teams inevitably have a mid season let down that leaves them on the outside looking in.

If you mean an SEC Tournament Title, then absolutely his teams could do that. Because his teams are always good enough to win if the gel for that game. And you don't need to win a season, you just need to get a good draw in the SEC tourney, and win the draw you get.

A regular season title.  I believe Mike won a conference championship while coaching at UAB.  However, I don't see a trajectory for him to win one at Arkansas.

It appears Gafford's draft projection may severely limit our chances next year, too.  Unfortunately for Daniel, I think he could use another year of college.  Unfortunately for us, the money is too great and we may have no size next year without him.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 21, 2018, 03:17:32 pm
A regular season title.  I believe Mike won a conference championship while coaching at UAB.  However, I don't see a trajectory for him to win one at Arkansas.

It appears Gafford's draft projection may severely limit our chances next year, too.  Unfortunately for Daniel, I think he could use another year of college.  Unfortunately for us, the money is too great and we may have no size next year without him.

Tied for 1st in his second season at UAB.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 03:15:54 pm
Maybe.  Take a season like the current one.  Conference has depth to it but not a great team.  One more impact player for the Hogs and we may have gotten to 12-13 wins and at least a share.  As long as Cal is at UK, it's going to be tough having an up season while the Cats have a down season.  Mike is as owned by UK as he was KU when at Mizzou.  And UK losing 7-8 SEC games is certainly a down season.  But other than UK, the SEC does not have a top level program and no sign of one emerging to join UK.  Florida's run ended with Billy D's departure.  So it's possible I guess.

Also have to consider how many more seasons Mike will be the coach.  He is 58.  I don't see a title next season and probably not in 2020.  If most of these recruits pan out and stay in the program, perhaps in 2021 or 22.   That is a big if. Beyond that, probably depends on what the state produces and how many years he stays. 

I personally don't care about an SEC Championship other than it would be good for his program to finally achieve something of note.  The NCAAT, seeding in it, consistent success in it with an ability to get into the second weekend and maybe a F4 or two at some point should be the focus.  If the program gets to the point it can do this, then competing for conference championships would probably come with it.

When the Hogs were competitive in the NCAA tournament, they were routinely winning conference championships.  The Hogs have struggled to finish in the top half of the SEC...  And we're not going to this year with a senior team and a potential lottery pick.

It is difficult to imagine the program is improving.  Hog fans have proven that they'll show up at the hint of success.  Their presence is likely to protect Mike.  However, if anyone believes the Hogs will advance far in the NCAA without being successful in the conference, I think they're being overly optimistic.

ishankem

I don't see MA ever taking Hogs to a final four or winning a sec regular season title. He's mister average as a coach

revolution

I think it's possible over the next 2-4 years.  If not then, then never. 

If this team falters and misses the Tourney this year, then I'm probably not going to be in favor of waiting to see if Anderson can get it done. 

I think they will still make the Tournament this season, although I also feel they could have done better with some stronger leadership this year. 

majp51

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 21, 2018, 03:17:32 pm

He has a co-champioship, but no outright championships. The co-champ was also his first year t UAB. I should have stated I mean outright championships.

the next few years, with the expectation that Gafford leaves early will be truly painful. Despite Perry doing right by Arkansas and letting them know as soon as he decided to go to MSU, Arkansas has done nothing to fill that gap, instead banking on Gaffords who if he has any sense takes the money. Yes Gafford might well need a few more years in college to be really ready, but honestly his stock can really only go down from here.

And look I get you guys aren't happy with Perry not committing, but he didn't pull a Malik Monk and leaving the school twisting in the wind before closing another school at the last minute.

majp51

Quote from: ishankem on February 21, 2018, 03:25:56 pm
I don't see MA ever taking Hogs to a final four or winning a sec regular season title. He's mister average as a coach

There are plenty of average coaches that made the final four. I'm not a huge CMA fan, but I still think he is better coach than say Richard Williams (Head Coach MSU 1996 Final Four team)

HoggieStyle

The day before Anderson's contract was extended, I heard a pretty well thought out rationale for firing him at the end of the season.

Then *poof* contract extension.

LOL

Kevin

the man has shared one title is his years as head coach.

if he could not win it when the league was awful, he certainly is not going to win it now.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

GA reddiehog

No way unless he changes his coaching scheme and hires some real assistant coaches       ( parts ways with the good ole boys and family members).  So no it will never happen!!!!!!!!!

hamARchy in the USA

To be a champion requires breaking above the pack.  MA's teams are defined by the pack.  The only way a MA team could break out and win the SEC is if the top half of the conference suffered some combination of catastrophic injuries, suspensions, and/or other disasters. 

rude1

No SEC regular or Tournament titles are in our futures I am afraid. This conference has figured him out and many of them are out recruiting him. We will continue to be IMO what we have been the last 6+ seasons.

GoHogs1091

Nope.

He had his chance before other SEC basketball programs such as Mississippi State, Alabama, and Auburn got turned around.

Now it is too late for Anderson to win a SEC title since those 3 have been turned around, and then also there is still Kentucky looming and their usual 5 Star recruits.

HeyHogs

No.  Mike is not Nolan.  No one is.  Mike has to learn to change to improve.  We will continue to be mediocre under Mike.

BallHog1

Quote from: majp51 on February 21, 2018, 03:34:15 pm
Despite Perry doing right by Arkansas and letting them know as soon as he decided to go to MSU, Arkansas has done nothing to fill that gap

And look I get you guys aren't happy with Perry not committing, but he didn't pull a Malik Monk and leaving the school twisting in the wind before closing another school at the last minute.
Seriously? Perry "did right by Arkansas"? ...sure, I'll be forever grateful for him treating us so well.....

jfred59

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 04:25:56 pm
No SEC regular or Tournament titles are in our futures I am afraid. This conference has figured him out and many of them are out recruiting him. We will continue to be IMO what we have been the last 6+ seasons.

Part of his problem with recruiting is that he does like Nolan did after 94 and recruits athletes not basketball players

Marshfieldhog

We are in Year 7 and no SEC Title
Year 8 we will be so young, no title then. Rebuilding from possible NIT team this year.
Year 9???? Who knows.

How long does he get? He isn't bad but he isn't that good either. Mediocre Mike is a good nickname.

cityhog

rude1

Quote from: jfred59 on February 21, 2018, 05:00:30 pm
Part of his problem with recruiting is that he does like Nolan did after 94 and recruits athletes not basketball players
Actually we don't have many athletes on the roster either. That's another problem, roster doesn't fit what he wants to do, trying to press with a team who isn't very fast and don't play good defense.

Champs04

How when you give up as many layups as we do when we press? Anderson isn't going anywhere, i feel really bad for our diehard fans.

LumberBacks

Not until KY is busted by the FBI or NCAA.   But they will likely skate like UNC, and the Pearls, Johnsons, Martins x 2, and Howlands will be energized to circumvent the dead spirit of the NCAA rules.

Boardon Hamsay

Only if Slobberin Hog returns to the court in BWA. Clearly we have not extracted enough nostalgia from 1994 to replicate that level of success.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

golfinpig

No way in hell. He can't recruit good enough for the top spot much less win it.

HogBreath

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 05:21:13 pm
Actually we don't have many athletes on the roster either. That's another problem, roster doesn't fit what he wants to do, trying to press with a team who isn't very fast and don't play good defense.
Amazing so many can't see this.  WTH?  Lazy recruiting.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

BassinHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 02:54:43 pm
Regular season or SECT? No to reg season. Maybe on SECT.

Same here! But Never a Natty, too many opportunities for him to get out coached.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

alohawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 02:54:13 pm
I see a national championship

Which requires elite talent and/or coaching, neither of which we have seen in 7 years.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Tusker4life

Unfortunately if we couldn't with Portis, probably not. Definitely not if Gafford leaves this year.
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

Mr. Porkleone

Oliver

Letsroll1200

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 07:00:18 pm
NO

You know the Hogs has been in the SEC tournament championship game twice since MA has been here. How soon we forget!

hog golf

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 07:21:45 pm
You know the Hogs has been in the SEC tournament championship game twice since MA has been here. How soon we forget!
and amazingly were only beaten by an average of 16 points in those two appearances.

so close.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

code red

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 21, 2018, 02:48:37 pm

LOL heck no...which is why he needs be gone.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 07:21:45 pm

have they won?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

orvillesghost

regular season title, not a chance in the world

tournament title, possible but highly unlikely