Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Uniforms

Started by HogWildBison2011, April 21, 2014, 08:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: nortonator on April 21, 2014, 10:32:11 pm
Do the student-athletes dig the new uniforms?
The few they brought to speak to me raved about the uniforms. They seemed genuine but how would we know? I can't imagine any Hog athlete standing up on TV and saying, Nike needs to stuff it.

The Nike rep behind the project said he talked to fans, coaches, athletic department department staffers and players during the process. I was told by somebody claiming to know that the greatest weight was given to the player's opinions. That seems logical.

HogCommander

Quote from: HogFan#1 on April 22, 2014, 07:45:56 am
Do they consult with fans before making other decisions?  If you are running a program and you want to run it right, you don't consult with fans.

I am not a genius, but I would think the whole purpose of "branding" would have something to do with the fans.  The whole purpose of branding something is to sell something to the majority.  Smart branding is done with polls and consultation from the majority beforehand.  When that is not done, things like this happen where you have a majority of people who don't like the product that is being sold. 

When it comes to football, basketball, or any other type sport decisions I agree the fans should never be polled. 

urkillnmesmalls

"New Coke" came out and there was an all out revolt.  I'm sure Coke did it to counter the "Pepsi Challenge" and their slightly sweeter formula, and they were hoping to shut Pepsi down.  Major backfire.   

I'm not suggesting a revolt, but if people don't like the new logo...it's simple.  Don't buy any of the merchandise that is highlighting it, and it will fall by the wayside quickly.

It's just my opinion that it's the charging Hog that needs to be captured, which is why our official log depicts that motion.  The new secondary logo has no way of capturing that, so it just looks bland. 

I heard on the radio today that yesterday Bo said it looks like Tusk took a selfie.  Since that's apparently all the rage lately, maybe "Selfie" could serve as the new secondary logo name.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2014, 10:10:00 pm
The secondary logo is so small on the uniforms you have to be standing next to a player to notice it.

Don't like it but as long as you can't see it who cares?

BTW J-Will likes it. A lot. He matters. I don't.

I agree with all of this.  Don't like the secondary logo but I'm not the one that matters in the scheme of things
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

heatmiser

New football uniforms are not good. Nike did ok with almost everything else (cept Baseball too).

There is no reason to have armpit tusks. None. It serves no purpose and adds unneeded angles/color to a part of the uniform that does not need it. I can live with the shoulder pad tusk I guess(at least as a replacement for that awful razorback/lightning bolt).

If I had my way, arkansas would build its brand recognition by NOT changing uniforms every two years! Some schools haven't changed (other than an alternate here or there) in 50 years!  Bama, Texas, BYU, Auburn, Stanford, USCw, etc...you can update a current look (use bigger stripes, etc) but need to have the same consistent look.  Just looking across other SEC boards last night I saw many SEC schools stating we shouldn't have changed from the last DMAC uniforms (I agree). I could live with the new font on DMACs uniforms.

FYI, I'm 26.
Arkansas Razorbacks

Augustus

Yeah, I'm really digging the front facing Hog.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wildhog

If you can somehow find a way to bitch about these uni's, then you're just a waste of oxygen.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

Quote from: Notshavin on April 22, 2014, 02:39:15 am
The logo wouldn't be that awful except for the white "stache"..

ghost of Willy Robinson?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HogCommander

Quote from: heatmiser on April 22, 2014, 08:26:11 am
New football uniforms are not good. Nike did ok with almost everything else (cept Baseball too).

There is no reason to have armpit tusks. None. It serves no purpose and adds unneeded angles/color to a part of the uniform that does not need it. I can live with the shoulder pad tusk I guess(at least as a replacement for that awful razorback/lightning bolt).

If I had my way, arkansas would build its brand recognition by NOT changing uniforms every two years! Some schools haven't changed (other than an alternate here or there) in 50 years!  Bama, Texas, BYU, Auburn, Stanford, USCw, etc...you can update a current look (use bigger stripes, etc) but need to have the same consistent look.  Just looking across other SEC boards last night I saw many SEC schools stating we shouldn't have changed from the last DMAC uniforms (I agree). I could live with the new font on DMACs uniforms.

FYI, I'm 26.

Thank you! I'm 28

This changing crap up every two years is stupid and makes no sense.  Get rid of all that crap on the shoulders and keep it simple. 

bpoecell

Quote from: HogCommander on April 22, 2014, 07:59:44 am
I am not a genius, but I would think the whole purpose of "branding" would have something to do with the fans.  The whole purpose of branding something is to sell something to the majority.  Smart branding is done with polls and consultation from the majority beforehand.  When that is not done, things like this happen where you have a majority of people who don't like the product that is being sold. 

When it comes to football, basketball, or any other type sport decisions I agree the fans should never be polled. 

If they went with fan input, we'd end up with the camo uniforms that pop up around here every now and then. When it comes to branding, it's best to let the professionals handle it. Design by committee is a universally bad idea.

Wildhog

Quote from: bpoecell on April 22, 2014, 08:37:06 am
If they went with fan input, we'd end up with the camo uniforms that pop up around here every now and then. When it comes to branding, it's best to let the professionals handle it. Design by committee is a universally bad idea.

Especially when the committee is largely illiterate.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

I like the white uniform, wouldn't change a thing about it.

For the red uniform, I would have removed the white stripes on the shoulder and put the primary hog logo there like we used to have for years. That way it is the traditional layout, but with a modern touch.

Wildhog

Not just a huge fan of the "tusks," but it's a MAJOR improvement over the abominations that we've had to deal with the last couple of years.

Think they did a great job, overall.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bpoecell

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2014, 08:41:20 am
Not just a huge fan of the "tusks," but it's a MAJOR improvement over the abominations that we've had to deal with the last couple of years.

Think they did a great job, overall.

I think if they'd just kept the tusk in the front and not done the one that wraps around the shoulders they'd be perfect.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bpoecell on April 22, 2014, 08:45:03 am
I think if they'd just kept the tusk in the front and not done the one that wraps around the shoulders they'd be perfect.

Yeah, have the tusk in the front, with the logo on the sleeve. That would have been sharp.

ATU HOG

I can handle the uniforms, and I know the players like them which is what matters.  But I really don't like the new secondary logo.  Too me, it looks too much like an ASU logo, which blows my mind they would even resemble anything along those lines. It's like they are trying too hard to change things up for no reason at all.

Seems like the focus from an administration standpoint has shifted from winning games, to selling the fans on products and uniforms.

JayBell

I was really surprised.  I thought I would hate the secondary logo, but it's not horrible.  It works really well since they're mainly using it in the center of jerseys, hats, shirts, etc.

I think the biggest omission (and it's not that big of a deal) is the lack of a running hog on the sleeves.  Arkansas' football jerseys have always looked best with the hog on the sleeves.  The tusk-looking stripe isn't horrible, but the hog would look so much better.

Otherwise, I'm pretty impressed by most of it.  Some of it may be a tad too "modern" than some would have preferred, but it goes back to a more simple, yet sleek approach, which is what most everybody wanted.

JayBell

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:45:55 amYeah, have the tusk in the front, with the logo on the sleeve. That would have been sharp.

Thirded.  Hopefully they stick with this theme for a long time and add the hog in the next couple of years.

The_Iceman

Quote from: JayBell on April 22, 2014, 08:55:48 am
Thirded.  Hopefully they stick with this theme for a long time and add the hog in the next couple of years.

Its such a simple fix that I wish they'd just change it now. Doesn't seem like it'd be too late to do that, surely they haven't ordered a whole set of jerseys.

To me, that would go from making the jerseys "Nice!" or "Clean" to being "Awesome!"

bpoecell

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:45:55 am
Yeah, have the tusk in the front, with the logo on the sleeve. That would have been sharp.

I'd have to see it. With the other tusk it may make that area too busy. Maybe it's tusk or Hog, not both.

Ironhawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 21, 2014, 10:35:09 pm
No pic on the website where you bought it?
Where'd you order it from? If you don't mind me asking?

Never mind....

That shirt is just bugly.  Pretty much everything looks ok to me.  If we win 6 or more games this season the football uniforms will look even better to me.  Don't like the front-facing Hog and won't ever own a piece of merchandise with one on it.

osumed14

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:45:55 am

Totally agree!  For me if they would of done one or the other "tusks" but not both on shoulder and in front would be so clean and still modern looking.  I hated the razors with a passion though so will still take this any day over them. 

GuvHog

I like the new Uniforms and I can even tolerate the new secondary Logo but I hope they never do Anthracite football Uniforms again. However, I wouldn't mind Black Jerseys with Red Numbers and Letters trimmed in white to wear when playing in Baton Rouge. The team having to wear their Home Reds in an opponents stadium because the home team wants to wear White Irritates me to no end.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:59:11 am
Its such a simple fix that I wish they'd just change it now. Doesn't seem like it'd be too late to do that, surely they haven't ordered a whole set of jerseys.

To me, that would go from making the jerseys "Nice!" or "Clean" to being "Awesome!"

Well, you know they'll be changing in two years, anyway.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cure

Quote from: RNHog on April 22, 2014, 03:17:45 am
It's a good thing you're just another whiney fan behind the computer on hogville. I am sure the university could give two craps and a screw what you think anyway.
Too bad that I do actually assist the AD and university in efforts.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

ricepig

Quote from: Cure on April 22, 2014, 09:26:13 am
Too bad that I do actually assist the AD and university in efforts.

Obviously not too much.

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Huckleberry Pig

Love the new uni's/font, don't care for the new secondary logo (it does look like stAte).  Wish we would just stick with the running hog.  Agree that the running hog on the sleeve would make these football uni's over the top.  I'm just thankful they got rid of that awful lightning bolt on the sleeves and the , was it grey? numbers/names that you could hardly see.  I really really like them.

Am a little curious to see how I'll like the baseball uni's in person.  Being a more classic game and we've always had classic jerseys for baseball, it may take me some time to adjust to those but I'm sure I'll come around.   

Would give an overall grade of an A, just my opinion though.  And just for reference, I'm 26

PorkRinds

I've been hoping for a red on red uniform for a while now, so I'm happy about that.  Overall I think they look sharp.  Nothing too glaringly bad about them at all.  As for the secondary logo, I was pretty much ambivalent about it yesterday, but it's growing on me.  As long as they don't overuse it, I think it will be fine.  As far as looking like stAte's logo, the only thing similar is that it's a front facing animal with red, white, and black.  Beyond that, I don't see much of a comparison.  Someone needs to make a side by side graphic for comparison sake...

imtad16

The uniform guru Paul Lukas likes them, which is a change. He usually doesnt like our stuff.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2014/04/22/arkansas-razorbacks-introduce-new-uniforms/

Peter Porker

Tradition says we should be purple, but those whippersnapper students voted to change the color to cardinal. What do they know?!?!?! Then students voted to change the mascot. What about tradition? !?!?!
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HyperDrive

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 21, 2014, 08:52:05 pm
Just expected something more...pretty much a let down on the front-facing Hog. I like the rest of the uni's though.

I like the new football unis.

The front-facing hog looks like Pumba from The Lion King.

hobhog

Quote from: HogCommander on April 22, 2014, 08:34:42 am
Thank you! I'm 28

This changing crap up every two years is stupid and makes no sense.  Get rid of all that crap on the shoulders and keep it simple.

You make this old man proud. Maybe there's hope for he future!

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: HogFan#1 on April 22, 2014, 07:45:56 am
Do they consult with fans before making other decisions?  If you are running a program and you want to run it right, you don't consult with fans.

You're confusing marketing decisions with operational and managerial decisions.

Any successful business does studies to determine what the customer (fan in this case) wants from a marketing perspective.

Bankrupt businesses share your point of view.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

FS Hog

Why hasn't Nike updated their logo?
The swish is getting old, it doesn't look hip anymore :)
Wrecks the whole new branding thing look.

ricepig

Quote from: FS Hog on April 22, 2014, 12:49:20 pm
Why hasn't Nike updated their logo?
The swish is getting old, it doesn't look hip anymore :)

I don't think I've ever seen a heads on shot of the swoosh, have you? Their primary logo like the running Hog hasn't changed.

Wildhog

I read posts on this board.  Then I read Arkansas education stats.  Then it all makes sense.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2014, 12:51:55 pm
I read posts on this board.  Then I read Arkansas education stats.  Then it all makes sense.

No, you can't read, you're just following along for the pictures like the rest of us.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on April 22, 2014, 12:53:06 pm
No, you can't read, you're just following along for the pictures like the rest of us.

Caught me.  It's genetic.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FS Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 22, 2014, 12:51:39 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a heads on shot of the swoosh, have you? Their primary logo like the running Hog hasn't changed.
The running hog has changed over the years
http://www.hogdb.com/arkansas-razorback-logos/70s-razorback-logo/

The swoosh is as made up logo as the running hog, so you can make up a head on swoosh too.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2014, 12:51:55 pm

I don't think our educational stats give an accurate indication of our fashion sense.

Arkansas fans are just more artsy left brain types.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

ricepig

Quote from: FS Hog on April 22, 2014, 12:58:14 pm
The running hog has changed over the years
http://www.hogdb.com/arkansas-razorback-logos/70s-razorback-logo/

The swoosh is as made up logo as the running hog, so you can make up a head on swoosh too.
Well, be all means make one up!

FS Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 22, 2014, 01:03:51 pm
Well, be all means make one up!
Nike would probably sue me. Imagine a zero with a tail sticking up behind it.

007 License To Squeal

Clean, sharp, traditional.........I like them a lot!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

bpoecell

April 22, 2014, 01:22:35 pm #244 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:38:00 pm by bpoecell
To everyone bitching about the new front-facing logo, consider this: you can make it go away by not buying anything that has it. If no one wants it, you'll see it get phased out, just like popcorn hog. Until then, get yourself a beer and try to not get worked up about it. It's not a big deal, and no one is forcing you to wear it.

Paul

What's not to like?  Quit whining!

bpoecell

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 22, 2014, 12:45:41 pm
You're confusing marketing decisions with operational and managerial decisions.

Any successful business does studies to determine what the customer (fan in this case) wants from a marketing perspective.

Bankrupt businesses share your point of view.

Well it seems like whatever research they did paid off, because the majority of fans seem to like the updates. As for the ones that don't, all the market research and polls in the world won't help you please everybody.

The_Iceman

Great pic of the new Uniforms:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 22, 2014, 07:53:46 am
I don't care anymore they are changing too much and I can not afford to buy a new hog wardrobe every other change. 

Then wear your old stuff. You like living in the past anyway.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

I've never really liked the matte finish on the headgear, it looks dull.  I really, really liked the metallic-type helmets while we had them.  Actually, you ever see those mirror-finish gold ones that Notre Dame wears?...I mean the ones that don't even look like they could be plastic.  I've wondered how it would look if that could be done in Razorback red....if only for a game or two.