Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Stoops

Started by Roaringboar, September 27, 2017, 08:51:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Roaringboar

You know a name not many are really saying......why not try looking into Bob Stoops.....I just said in another thread, you know a few sources have come out of the wood work saying there's a bit more to the story than Stoops just wanting to retire. I think something came between him and the school and it was just so divisive he decided maybe it was time to leave. Who knows what it was? But I think there was more to it than just, "I'm worried a bit about my health."

Myer said the same thing when leaving Florida....now look where he's at......it's at least worth a look if we are going to look for a new coach......and you can't even try to say Stoops wasn't a good coach......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Hogwild

When Stoops returns to coaching it won't be at Arkansas.  He will grab a top 10 job like Notre Dame, LSU, Florida, .... Like what Meyer did.

BadPorcino

Roaringboar

Quote from: Hogwild on September 27, 2017, 08:56:38 pm
When Stoops returns to coaching it won't be at Arkansas.  He will grab a top 10 job like Notre Dame, LSU, Florida, .... Like what Meyer did.

I don't see Notre Dame, he doesn't have as many regional ties there after all of these years at Oklahoma.....LSU won't cut Orgeron I don't think for at least another three seasons......And I just can't see Florida firing mcelwain after he's led them to back to back SEC Championships that he lost both years to Alabama......especially considering technically they are tied for first right now in the East.......The only big jobs I see open next year are perhaps Tennesse, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss.....like I said, wouldn't hurt to look at least.....

RazorPiggie

Ole Miss isn't a big job.

Art Vandelay

This is nonsense. If he wouldn't interview here when he was DC at Florida, what makes you think he would consider us now? 

Something is fishy with the timing of his retirement and then the school president just retiring, but that dont mean he's coming to Arkansas.

Wildhog

I don't want our program to kill the man.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

sowmonella

Pssstttttttt  it's this guy
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

shotgun7

Stoops is NOT coming to Arkansas, neither is Les Miles....it is very likely regardless of the way the season ends up he gets 1 more year. The buyout would be much lower and there are likely going to be a ton of Jobs open this year and I just don't see us trying to compete with all the ones that may come open. TN, LSU (though EO has a 12 million buy out, and you people thing JL is nuts!?!) A&M, AUB, OM, MIZU and thats just off the top of my head in the SEC! 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 27, 2017, 11:36:07 pm
Stoops is NOT coming to Arkansas, neither is Les Miles....it is very likely regardless of the way the season ends up he gets 1 more year. The buyout would be much lower and there are likely going to be a ton of Jobs open this year and I just don't see us trying to compete with all the ones that may come open. TN, LSU (though EO has a 12 million buy out, and you people thing JL is nuts!?!) A&M, AUB, OM, MIZU and thats just off the top of my head in the SEC!
why the hell would we want Les miles? And only 2 of those schools you mentioned will be hiring. Mizzou, which if you are afraid to compete with them, seek therapy, and A&M, who more than likely already has a deal with Chad Morris in place.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jvanhorn

Quote from: commonnonsense on September 27, 2017, 10:29:10 pm
This is nonsense. If he wouldn't interview here when he was DC at Florida, what makes you think he would consider us now? 

Something is fishy with the timing of his retirement and then the school president just retiring, but that dont mean he's coming to Arkansas.

Stoops has always said he would not be coaching at an old age like his mentor at Kansas State.  He has been at all the games this year home and away.  He  hand picked the man to replace him and left him with a top 5 team.  He said that he didn't want what he built to be in vain and he wanted to ensure the program for the next 30 years.  He lives in a house so big it has an actual moat around it.  He just sold the house he left for millions.    The president of OU, who was also a Governor and US Senator has just presided over the most prosperous almost 3 decades in OU history--and not just in athletics, but he is in his late 70s and just had major heart surgery 6 months.  He is also concerned abut td about the future of OU and has said if they don't have a replacement when his contract expires at the end of June he will stay on until they do get a new president.  There is really no more to it than that.  Nothing lasts forever.  He does say that when Stoops told him that he was retiring and why it kind of kick started him into thinking that he should do something also.  That he had been seriously thinking about since last Spring or, as he put it "Time caught up with me."  As indeed it will with all of us.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: sowmonella on September 27, 2017, 10:56:21 pm
Pssstttttttt  it's this guy

I think it just moved like Costanza
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Muskliketusk

Arkansas can do better than Little Game Bob. I'd throw up if Long even interviewed that overrated bum to clean toilets in DWRRS. Plus he's a bona fied cheater plain and simple. OU will burn if the FBI ever decide to look at college football and Stoops won't be able to coach just like Tressell.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Iwastherein1969

Remember my fellow Hog fans, someone with a lot of power on The Hill  once said, "we're not going be a win at all costs program"....therefore we need to go looking for up and coming assistants to be our head coach....it will save enough money so that we could provide more ping pong tables, more video games and chicken enchiladas 3 times a week instead of two in the cafeteria for our 2 star athletes....makes a lot of sense to me....and by the way, "Smile !"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

moses_007

I read that Bob Stoops retired from coaching because he has a heart condition.  Goodness, he's definitely made enough money at OU to retire from football forever.  He won't coach again.

husker71

Arkansas can NOT do better than Bob Stoops.  I know alot of fun is made of guys who say things like we can get Gruden or Cowher or Saban but there really are guys on this board who believe it.  I suffer from no such notions.  We are a middle of the road SEC program which is still a pretty good gig but do any of you think it is a top 20 job at this time??  I read the same stuff on the Nebraska boards about getting a homerun hire.  It is not going to happen there either.  There program has been run much deeper in the ditch than ours.

Art Vandelay

Quote from: jvanhorn on September 28, 2017, 12:58:28 am
Stoops has always said he would not be coaching at an old age like his mentor at Kansas State.  He has been at all the games this year home and away.  He  hand picked the man to replace him and left him with a top 5 team.  He said that he didn't want what he built to be in vain and he wanted to ensure the program for the next 30 years.  He lives in a house so big it has an actual moat around it.  He just sold the house he left for millions.    The president of OU, who was also a Governor and US Senator has just presided over the most prosperous almost 3 decades in OU history--and not just in athletics, but he is in his late 70s and just had major heart surgery 6 months.  He is also concerned abut td about the future of OU and has said if they don't have a replacement when his contract expires at the end of June he will stay on until they do get a new president.  There is really no more to it than that.  Nothing lasts forever.  He does say that when Stoops told him that he was retiring and why it kind of kick started him into thinking that he should do something also.  That he had been seriously thinking about since last Spring or, as he put it "Time caught up with me."  As indeed it will with all of us.

I just think it's a little too coincidental that both of them retire suddenly the year after the huge Joe Mixon f-up. I understand that Boren is as old as dirt but Stoops explanation doesn't make much sense to me. They could have paid Riley a boatload as OC/coach in waiting and kept him from going anywhere. 

Hogtimes

Quote from: jvanhorn on September 28, 2017, 12:58:28 am

Good post.  Some people always think they see something that no one else does.....even though nothing exists.    Stoops will never coach football again.   That is obvious.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 27, 2017, 08:51:54 pm
You know a name not many are really saying......why not try looking into Bob Stoops.....I just said in another thread, you know a few sources have come out of the wood work saying there's a bit more to the story than Stoops just wanting to retire. I think something came between him and the school and it was just so divisive he decided maybe it was time to leave. Who knows what it was? But I think there was more to it than just, "I'm worried a bit about my health."

Myer said the same thing when leaving Florida....now look where he's at......it's at least worth a look if we are going to look for a new coach......and you can't even try to say Stoops wasn't a good coach......

Name those sources that have come out of the woodwork.   There aren't any.   Stoops timed it perfectly.   He did it his way. That is all there is to it.

DeltaBoy

Bob lost his Mojo in that bowl game where Boise State beat them with a trick play.  He not been the same since.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Bob is getting up there in years to start over. PLUS he retired due to health. Good for him that he is able to retire and still live comfortably. There is no reason for him to work again.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 28, 2017, 11:05:37 am
Bob is getting up there in years to start over. PLUS he retired due to health. Good for him that he is able to retire and still live comfortably. There is no reason for him to work again.

He is still working at OU, as assistant to the AD.  And he didn't retire because of health reasons.

QuoteIn his written statement and at the Wednesday news conference, Stoops reiterated that there wasn't an immediate health concern forcing his retirement. On the Dan Patrick Show Friday morning, he repeated he wasn't retiring for serious health reasons.

"There is no smoking gun whatsoever," Stoops told Patrick. "Anyone who knows me knows that's the case. Nothing health-wise. Like everybody, I guess, at my age, you have your here-and-there health battles, but there isn't anything serious or imminent at all.

"No smoking gun anywhere. I guess, people have a hard time when someone just makes the decision to handle their life the way they want to and step away in a proper fashion and hand something off that's so good. But that really is just the way it is."

Al Boarland

There will be a lot of coaching turnover and I'm afraid we would be in the middle of the pack or worse if we are looking for a coach.

Also, we won't be looking for a new coach. Given th buyout and the above it won't happen.

zebradynasty

Bob would command a salary just below Saban and Myer if his agent is worth anything. We can't get over $15 mil for BB and then pay Bob that kind of money....move on he's what we need but him coming would be like hitting the lotto. If we were that lucky we wouldn't be in the shape we are in now!

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2017, 11:04:01 am
Bob lost his Mojo in that bowl game where Boise State beat them with a trick play.  He not been the same since.

Nevermind that he went to the BCS National Championship two years after losing that game, I guess.

Porked Tongue

Stoops departure from OU was a well orchestrated spin.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 28, 2017, 12:13:55 pm
Nevermind that he went to the BCS National Championship two years after losing that game, I guess.
that he did, but after USC beat the Sooners like a 3-legged rented mule in the Natty, at that point, he did lose his mojo. But the man could "croot" with the best of them. Would I like to have "Big Game Bob" as our coach at Arkansas despite him losing his mojo ?  Uh, "Hail to the Chief, Hail YES !"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on September 28, 2017, 11:39:00 am
He is still working at OU, as assistant to the AD.  And he didn't retire because of health reasons.

Believe what you will. Not immediate health concerns, but family history of health concerns overall. He wanted to take time to enjoy life and watch his sons play their Sr. years in high school and spend more time with family without the obligations associated with producing a winning P-5 football program.
Go Hogs Go!

Roaringboar

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 28, 2017, 12:41:24 pm
Stoops departure from OU was a well orchestrated spin.

That's what I think.....I don't think he just retired....I think he'll be back soon, and again, much like Les Miles and Chip Kelly, I think Jeff Long is going to be stupid and hang on to Bilema instead of looking into one of these guys before it's too late.........

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2017, 07:47:14 pm
Believe what you will. Not immediate health concerns, but family history of health concerns overall. He wanted to take time to enjoy life and watch his sons play their Sr. years in high school and spend more time with family without the obligations associated with producing a winning P-5 football program.
Are you really trying to say that Bob Stoops values his family over coaching the Hogs and working for a man who says he doesn't run a "win at all costs program" ?  No, say it ain't so.

shotgun7

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 28, 2017, 12:20:04 am
why the hell would we want Les miles? And only 2 of those schools you mentioned will be hiring. Mizzou, which if you are afraid to compete with them, seek therapy, and A&M, who more than likely already has a deal with Chad Morris in place.
I never said I wanted Miles here, I don't don't think he would do any better. and not scared of compete with Mizzou, but my point is there is gonna be a turn of turnover in CFB this winter and do we really want to compete with everyone and end up with the middle of the pack coach.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogwild on September 28, 2017, 11:39:00 am

If he didn't have a health condition before becoming coach of the Razorbacks he would soon afterwards.

Arky

Quote from: The Boar War on September 28, 2017, 08:29:47 pm
If he didn't have a health condition before becoming coach of the Razorbacks he would soon afterwards.
lolol