Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chancellor Steinmetz Message To Jeff Long

Started by The NewEra, November 09, 2017, 08:09:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 08:41:56 pm
.....I won't be even slightly surprised if he starts looking around for another job. 

Do AD's have agents or do they just agree to $'s and terms and sign?  I'd be very surprised if CBB's agent and JL weren't both looking ahead and covering various parts of their anatomy. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

The NewEra

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 10, 2017, 07:29:13 am
Every hire Long made was considered a good hire at the time by an overwhelming majority.  He is highly respected for his courage and professionalism with the Petrino actions and respected for his work on the selection committee.  It is not his job to win football games.  BB was a homerun hire in giant proportions around the nation when it occurred.  Winning was/is BB's job.  Long knows what needs to occur.  Too much is being made about him.

You don't think Long is responsible for his teams, especially football, under his leadership being competitive and winning games?  Then why do AD's across the nation constantly lose their job because their football teams were unsuccessful? 

Tusks

I can't believe some of you don't see what the original OP said.

He was sat outside that meeting to embarrass him and send a message.  He will not be fired but he will be looking for a new job.  BB is gone, thank god.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DeltaBoy

Pork said change is coming and we will see if I believe by Jan 1, 2018
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

island hog

Quote from: tusked on November 10, 2017, 07:48:33 am
I can't believe some of you don't see what the original OP said.

He was sat outside that meeting to embarrass him and send a message.  He will not be fired but he will be looking for a new job.  BB is gone, thank god.
What advantage or reason would the BOT or Chancellor have for wanting to "embarrass" Long?  I'd surmise he was there to be available for any questions that arose from the stadium expansion. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MikePiazza on November 09, 2017, 11:19:20 pm
I saw Steinmetz in a restaurant in Fayetteville this evening, and he looked less than enthused. Rough day for the chancellor.

I saw Mike Piazza in the Miami airport a few days back.. he looked great, looked like he could play tomorrow.. and now,  back to your regularly scheduled program...

huntindoc

Quote from: island hog on November 10, 2017, 09:07:49 amI'd surmise he was there to be available for any questions that arose from the stadium expansion. 

The problems with that assumption are a) Bobbitt's quote above which pretty plainly says the 3+ hour executive session was about the chancellor's job performance  b)nothing on the agenda about the stadium expansion.     

You could be right but I suspect at least part of the reason he was there was to be able to answer questions about his job performance if the chancellor needed him to.  I do agree it had nothing to do with an intent to embarrass Jeff Long. Hopefully the BOT or the chancellor aren't as petty as that.

The NewEra

Quote from: huntindoc on November 10, 2017, 09:23:22 am
The problems with that assumption are a) Bobbitt's quote above which pretty plainly says the 3+ hour executive session was about the chancellor's job performance  b)nothing on the agenda about the stadium expansion.     

You could be right but I suspect at least part of the reason he was there was to be able to answer questions about his job performance if the chancellor needed him to.  I do agree it had nothing to do with an intent to embarrass Jeff Long. Hopefully the BOT or the chancellor aren't as petty as that.

If you think making one of your subordinates come out in public and take the heat with you when you're required to meet before the board on what are personnel issues is petty, then I certainly disagree with you.  It's Jeff Long's business responsibilities that required the Chancellor to be there in the first place. 

Tusks

Quote from: island hog on November 10, 2017, 09:07:49 am
What advantage or reason would the BOT or Chancellor have for wanting to "embarrass" Long?  I'd surmise he was there to be available for any questions that arose from the stadium expansion. 

Are you following the program?  Did you see the stadium in the second half of the Auburn game and the CC game.

Fans and boosters are NOT HAPPY.  Would you want to be on the end of all the emails, phone calls and text messages like the BOT?

It was the BOT telling the fans they hear them and they are initiating changes.  There will be a new coach next season and JL will probably not be on the hill.  I'd say the chance of BB not being around at 100% and JL at 75%.

It was the BOT telling the fans that.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The NewEra

Quote from: tusked on November 10, 2017, 09:38:32 am
Are you following the program?  Did you see the stadium in the second half of the Auburn game and the CC game.

Fans and boosters are NOT HAPPY.  Would you want to be on the end of all the emails, phone calls and text messages like the BOT?

It was the BOT telling the fans they hear them and they are initiating changes.  There will be a new coach next season and JL will probably not be on the hill.  I'd say the chance of BB not being around at 100% and JL at 75%.

It was the BOT telling the fans that.

I like your odds.  I hope they turn out to be 100% on both parts.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jimbob111

Quote from: island hog on November 09, 2017, 09:45:20 pm
"most fans knew this"?  Really?  Stretching there a little wouldn't you say.

I knew it and I said as much. A lot of us voiced extreme reservations and then attempted to get on board because Bielema talks a good game. He just can't back it up. But "we" knew it was a bad hire, I'm sorry you didn't.  Watch a little more football, you'll get there. It just takes a little time and a modicum of intelligence.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Jimbob111

I thought it was ironic that on 4th and Long this morning he was discussing women's athletics and mentioned their coach changing his philosophy to more of a defensive outlook because of key injuries to starters.

Good coaches adapt to changes and injuries. Bad coaches stand on the sideline looking confused and mouthbreath.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Hogwild

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 10:28:05 pm
Speaking of fake news. I challenge you to find one instance of me saying I hate Jeff Long.

That was easy- ;D

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 10:28:05 pm
I hate Jeff Long.

Youngsta71701

To me it's plain and simple. Bret has to go. And if Long's not willing to let him go then the both of them have to go.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Athog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 09, 2017, 08:17:38 pm
So that's what you believe in. Ok
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😅

Now playing in your mind..lol!

The NewEra

AirWarren

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 09, 2017, 08:17:38 pm
So that's what you believe in. Ok
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😅

Hahaha. Some folks huh?

Grunt

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 08:41:56 pm
When I hit Google on my phone the first thing that pops up is a picture of Long with a headline that the Board "took no action" on him.  That has to embarrass and chap him...the very mention that the situation has gotten to the point that something could happen to him.

I won't be even slightly surprised if he starts looking around for another job.  Or maybe I am just hoping...
Very good point.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

island hog

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 11, 2017, 09:10:43 am
I knew it and I said as much. A lot of us voiced extreme reservations and then attempted to get on board because Bielema talks a good game. He just can't back it up. But "we" knew it was a bad hire, I'm sorry you didn't.  Watch a little more football, you'll get there. It just takes a little time and a modicum of intelligence.
listen punk, I've watched more and been closely associated with all levels of football than most on this board.., my "intelligence" is plenty.  It's easy to have 20/20 views on things that do t turn out

bwbcpa

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 09:21:32 pm
Quite humbling don't you think?  When you think you have power and those who really do have power order you to sit around and wait like a peon...that would have to make an impression one would think.  A clear message without one word being spoken.  I guess we will now see how well he listens.

Having served on several boards, I can tell you this is a classic " shot across the bow".
When you deal with Personnel issues you have to sidestep a myriad of legalities, and this is one way of putting someone on notice without actually having to do anything. It doesn't mean however that Jeff Long was the subject, it could be that it was one of his subordinates. Lots of speculation with this one...

Mike Irwin

I was told that Long was never supposed to be at the meeting. Steinmetz brought him along without checking and the BOT was not happy about it. The BOT does not deal directly with coaches or ADs. Those men deal with the chancellor. If they have a problem with the head coach or AD  and want something passed along they tell Steinmetz and he tells them. The AD and head coach work for the chancellor and the chancellor answers to the BOT.

thebignasty

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 11, 2017, 10:43:52 am
I was told that Long was never supposed to be at the meeting. Steinmetz brought him along without checking and the BOT was not happy about it. The BOT does not deal directly with coaches or ADs. Those men deal with the chancellor. If they have a problem with the head coach or AD  and want something passed along they tell Steinmetz and he tells them. The AD and head coach work for the chancellor and the chancellor answers to the BOT.

love it
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Youngsta71701

I was told that Long was never supposed to be at the meeting. Steinmetz brought him along without checking and the BOT was not happy about it. The BOT does not deal directly with coaches or ADs. Those men deal with the chancellor. If they have a problem with the head coach or AD  and want something passed along they tell Steinmetz and he tells them. The AD and head coach work for him.
So does Steinmetz work for the BOT? Never mind, you added that part as I was finishing my question. Thanks for the info.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The NewEra

I was told that Long was never supposed to be at the meeting. Steinmetz brought him along without checking and the BOT was not happy about it. The BOT does not deal directly with coaches or ADs. Those men deal with the chancellor. If they have a problem with the head coach or AD  and want something passed along they tell Steinmetz and he tells them. The AD and head coach work for him.

Steinmetz didn't want to be in front of all those cameras alone.