Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumor has it that we are near a 4 year deal with OSU

Started by Anson Marlow, August 11, 2006, 05:11:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anson Marlow

We are close to finalizing a 4 year deal with Oklahoma State in Football.  Will post more when more info is available.
/list]

Pork Twain

August 11, 2006, 05:12:01 pm #1 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:14:47 pm by Superhog1975
That would be sweet.  Now if we could add one of the lesser Texass schools (TCU, TT, aTm, Baylor, etc.).  We would get the financial windfall from being in the SEC and the recruiting from the Big-12.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgon

Man, I don't really like that.  For whatever reason, those guys hate us.  We will suddenly become their biggest game after OU and they will be sky high.  Our players, on the other hand, will hardly know where OSU is.  I lived in Tulsa, the animosity of the average OSU fan for us was something that I could never really understand.

RZBC9

I hope it works out. I have some good friends who are OSU alums so I would love to have a chance to beat them. GHG

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Hawgon on August 11, 2006, 05:13:19 pm
Man, I don't really like that.  For whatever reason, those guys hate us.  We will suddenly become their biggest game after OU and they will be sky high.  Our players, on the other hand, will hardly know where OSU is.  I lived in Tulsa, the animosity of the average OSU fan for us was something that I could never really understand.

Dang i dunno. Most OSU fans I know dont have any problems with Arkansas.

Being from Oklahoma, I like it. A chance for us to see another game plus its a program that is at least recognizeable and we should be able to beat them more times than not.

I like it.

edmo

Quote from: Hawgon on August 11, 2006, 05:13:19 pm

I saw some of this firsthand when they played us in Basketball in Alltel. They were all kinds of pumped up. I was really shocked.

However i think we could really help our recruiting exposure in Oakieland. Beside we can take the cowboys. Bring'em on.

Big Papa Satan

Being from East Arkansas, playing Oklahoma State means absolutely nothing to me, but having them on the schedule would be an easy win with a little more prestige than beating some Sun Belt no-name.

Anson Marlow

This would be great, I think it should becoma an every year affair.  This is good for the Hogs and gives fans an affordable option for an away game.
/list]

geoffhog

I remember before the '95 Final 4 that we were in with OSU, Sutton gave a talk to the students at a big pep rally and he said a little something about the other 3 schools involved. The first 2 got little or no reaction, but when he said the word Arkansas, they went apeshiite. I didn't get it and still don't. I always kinda pulled for OSU just because I hate OU. 
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

bythelake

OSU is a big rivalry; a lot of you guys don't remember when we played them way back when.  From what I remember we won most of the games but it was always ugly.  

Believe me, with OSU being so close, it will be a heck of a rivalry.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: geoffhog on August 11, 2006, 05:17:52 pm
I remember before the '95 Final 4 that we were in with OSU, Sutton gave a talk to the students at a big pep rally and he said a little something about the other 3 schools involved. The first 2 got little or no reaction, but when he said the word Arkansas, they went apeshiite. I didn't get it and still don't. I always kinda pulled for OSU just because I hate OU. 

Yeah i pull for OSU alot for that exact same reason. I've always liked OSU.

Now the day we play them in football, that may be a different story.

HogHillbilly

Fine with me...............We're handn' out arse whippens now.............If they want to be next, that's cool...........
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

fusbal11

August 11, 2006, 05:32:48 pm #12 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:39:18 pm by fusbal11
brang um ownnn
that one's for you hoophog ;)
Wooo Pig

bigred7987

I agree...take of a La Monroe and put these guys...helps recruiting ALOT

ExArky

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 11, 2006, 05:17:19 pm
Being from East Arkansas, playing Oklahoma State means absolutely nothing to me, but having them on the schedule would be an easy win with a little more prestige than beating some Sun Belt no-name.

Not an easy win. OSU beat Oklahoma in back-to-back years recently when OU was highly ranked. But a good, middle-of-the-road regional game. Something like adding Ole Miss was back when UA was in the SWC in the 80s.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: ExArky on August 11, 2006, 05:46:23 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 11, 2006, 05:17:19 pm
[/quote

Not an easy win. OSU beat Oklahoma in back-to-back years recently when OU was highly ranked. But a good, middle-of-the-road regional game. Something like adding Ole Miss was back when UA was in the SWC in the 80s.

True, they are not a gimmie win by any means. Their recruiting has really improved. Their class was rated about 10 spots ahead of ours.

jrw11475

Quote from: Anson Marlow on August 11, 2006, 05:11:06 pm
We are close to finalizing a 4 year deal with Oklahoma State in Football.  Will post more when more info is available.

What years are included in this 4 year deal?

jrw11475

I seem to remember that we had another series with Texas.  Does anyone have the details on that as far as what years are involved?

williamsB

One DA move.

Bad. Just another example of stupid (poor) timing.
We took a down Texas and USC onto our schedule and got them around the time they were NC. Now we take a not much OSU just as they are getting ready  to spend the most money ever to expand and upgrade. And if OU got in trouble, it might really make OSU stronger.

If we are going to have a tough game, at least make it a top name.

Nebraska or A&M would have been much better. Some above posted that it could mean more to OSU than us. Crap

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: williamsB on August 11, 2006, 06:16:01 pm
One DA move.

Bad. Just another example of stupid (poor) timing.
We took a down Texas and USC onto our schedule and got them around the time they were NC. Now we take a not much OSU just as they are getting ready  to spend the most money ever to expand and upgrade. And if OU got in trouble, it might really make OSU stronger.

If we are going to have a tough game, at least make it a top name.

Nebraska or A&M would have been much better. Some above posted that it could mean more to OSU than us. Crap

WE dont know if its going to go through or not.

There were rumors of Arkansas and OKlahoma agreeing to a series but not much has been made of that lately.

Just dont know until something is official on it.

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 11, 2006, 05:12:01 pm
That would be sweet.  Now if we could add one of the lesser Texass schools (TCU, TT, aTm, Baylor, etc.).  We would get the financial windfall from being in the SEC and the recruiting from the Big-12.

Don't we have a series with TCU coming up in the next few years?

HatfieldHog

Sports Rap guys said that this was false.  That there was no advantage for either of us.  Chuck pretty much said that this would not happen.  With the way that Home and Home matchups are today, you're non-conference home and home needs to be with a Big Time program, not a team that will not help you considerably in recruiting, or in marketability.

Don't think that it'll happen.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Pork Twain

Quote from: HatfieldHog on August 11, 2006, 06:33:26 pm
Sports Rap guys said that this was false.  That there was no advantage for either of us.  Chuck pretty much said that this would not happen.  With the way that Home and Home matchups are today, you're non-conference home and home needs to be with a Big Time program, not a team that will not help you considerably in recruiting, or in marketability.

Don't think that it'll happen.

See ya
If Chuck says it's so it must be so.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

CharlieHustle

I think OSU is the big 12 equivalent of Arkansas due to the fact that OSU is usally finishes in the middle of the league standings like Arkansas, and can beat anybody on any givin day.  I think they would be fun to play.

Hawgon

Quote from: CharlieHustle on August 11, 2006, 06:42:17 pm
I think OSU is the big 12 equivalent of Arkansas due to the fact that OSU is usally finishes in the middle of the league standings like Arkansas, and can beat anybody on any givin day.  I think they would be fun to play.

Which just goes to show how far we have fallen.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: Hawgon on August 11, 2006, 06:52:00 pm

Which just goes to show how far we have fallen.

The Sad Truth!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Jim

Sports Rap guys said that this was false.  That there was no advantage for either of us.  Chuck pretty much said that this would not happen. 

Advantage schmantage.  Who CARES about "advantage"?  How about the fact that it makes sense?  Decent sized D-1 schools within a few hours of each other, a couple former nat'l champs in the mix, some logical neighbor-state rivals (and some new rivalries that would actually be easy to start up and keep going)...I don't see how Arkansas can bellyache about any DIS-advantage they may have, unless it's the much-ballyhooed Ark/ASU rivalry.

Think about it.

Ark/TX
Ark/OU
Ark/Mizzou
Ark/KU
Ark/OSU
Ark/TTech
Ark/Tenn
Ark/LSU
Ark/Ala

Sure, it looks a little lopsided as far as Big 12 vs the SEC but we don't play anyone with any kind of regularity (save for LSU) to really develop ANY kind of rivalry anymore.  I know that seems to be somewhat of an issue here, most of the opinions much like mine that in order to be a rival, you have to PLAY a rival.

La Monroe is NOT our rival.  Missouri St is NOT our rival. 

LSU COULD be a decent rival if we finally turn the corner.
If the powers on the Hill(s) get their stuff together, TX and OU/OSU would be cosmic rivals (again) but only if it's done with some sort of regularity and not treated like a WWE Hall of Fame Induction match.

"Remember when we used to..."

:puke:

James K. Pork

I like the concept.  We have 4 OOC match-ups.  At least one should be against a power program, while two more should be scheduled against charity cases.

An Oklahoma State or a Missouri would be perfect to schedule for that other OOC game.  Play a beatable mid to lower-level BCS-conference opponent that will give you a bit of a test before jumping into the SEC schedule.

Some may worry about an OSU or a Mizzou coming into a game against Arkansas sky high.  I would argue that this is exactly the type of game situation we need early in the season.  It doesn't matter whether you face LSU or Vanderbilt, Georgia or Kentucky; the SEC usually is an all-out war.  Playing an opponent that wants to take you into a barroom brawl is good preparation for our conference.

South_Ark_Pig

I would persoanlly like to see it because theres  akid on that team that is a redshirt freshman this year from El Dorado, a running back name John Johnson. He s afulback and excellent blocker and has good hands

trufanofhogs

Actually, we have a long history with Oklahoma State, having played them about 50 times. As I recall, we have a pretty sizable advantage in the all time won/loss (about 33-15-2, I think). They are one of our oldest rivals. We played them when they were known as Oklahoma A & M back in the early 20th Century. Arkansas and Oklahoma were both charter members of the Southwest Conference. I think it would be great to play them again.

trufanofhogs

I meant to say that Arkansas and Oklahoma State were charter members of the SWC.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: Jim on August 11, 2006, 07:02:48 pm
Sports Rap guys said that this was false.  That there was no advantage for either of us.  Chuck pretty much said that this would not happen. 

Advantage schmantage.  Who CARES about "advantage"?  How about the fact that it makes sense?  Decent sized D-1 schools within a few hours of each other, a couple former nat'l champs in the mix, some logical neighbor-state rivals (and some new rivalries that would actually be easy to start up and keep going)...I don't see how Arkansas can bellyache about any DIS-advantage they may have, unless it's the much-ballyhooed Ark/ASU rivalry.

Think about it.

Ark/TX
Ark/OU
Ark/Mizzou
Ark/KU
Ark/OSU
Ark/TTech
Ark/Tenn
Ark/LSU
Ark/Ala

Sure, it looks a little lopsided as far as Big 12 vs the SEC but we don't play anyone with any kind of regularity (save for LSU) to really develop ANY kind of rivalry anymore.  I know that seems to be somewhat of an issue here, most of the opinions much like mine that in order to be a rival, you have to PLAY a rival.

If the powers on the Hill(s) get their stuff together, TX and OU/OSU would be cosmic rivals (again) but only if it's done with some sort of regularity and not treated like a WWE Hall of Fame Induction match.

So, you think tha Playing OSU would be an advantage for Arkansas.  We want to play Texas because it gives us an enroad to recruit Texas.  Beating OSU helps our recruiting very little, and getting beat by OSU kills our power ranking any time that it happens.  The goal of all of the BCS conf. schools is to play "One" non-conference game that brings headlines, (i.e. University of Southern California), then the other non-conf. need to be home games, for revenue.  Then, the SEC schedule is tough enough to make your strength of schedule good enough to rank in the BCS if you win enough
games.   Fact of the Matter, Oklahoma State does not compute in any of these senarios.

See ya

rzrbaxfan

Drivable road game against a BCS conference school...I'm there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HatfieldHog on August 11, 2006, 08:32:20 pm
Quote from: Jim on August 11, 2006, 07:02:48 pm

Think about it.

Ark/TX
Ark/OU
Ark/Mizzou
Ark/KU
Ark/OSU
Ark/TTech
Ark/Tenn
Ark/LSU
Ark/Ala

So, you think tha Playing OSU would be an advantage for Arkansas.  We want to play Texas because it gives us an enroad to recruit Texas.  Beating OSU helps our recruiting very little, and getting beat by OSU kills our power ranking any time that it happens.  The goal of all of the BCS conf. schools is to play "One" non-conference game that brings headlines, (i.e. University of Southern California), then the other non-conf. need to be home games, for revenue.  Then, the SEC schedule is tough enough to make your strength of schedule good enough to rank in the BCS if you win enough
games.   Fact of the Matter, Oklahoma State does not compute in any of these senarios.

See ya
I think any time we beat a Big-12 school it helps recruit in Texass

BigHog396

August 11, 2006, 08:39:34 pm #34 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:41:34 pm by BigHog396
I still want to know where people keep coming up with these rumors?  The only one's that have been talked about publicly were the Texas series, and then a little bit about OU when the Cotton Bowl game w/Texas looked like it was gone.

I don't see any way Frank would be dumb enough to schedule a series with OSU.  What would we have to gain from playing them?  If you are going to play a big name OOC team, play a BIG NAME OOC team.  We shouldn't be trying to schedule a series with a second rung team from a wanna-be conference.  Talking about OU or Texas is one thing... dropping to OSU/Mizzou/KU is just nuts.  You set yourself up to be upset by a low-teir team, or you get a win that doesn't really mean much.

Pork Twain

August 11, 2006, 08:49:05 pm #35 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:56:58 pm by Superhog1975
Quote from: BigHog396 on August 11, 2006, 08:39:34 pm
I still want to know where people keep coming up with these rumors?  The only one's that have been talked about publicly were the Texas series, and then a little bit about OU when the Cotton Bowl game w/Texas looked like it was gone.

I don't see any way Frank would be dumb enough to schedule a series with OSU.  What would we have to gain from playing them?  If you are going to play a big name OOC team, play a BIG NAME OOC team.  We shouldn't be trying to schedule a series with a second rung team from a wanna-be conference.  Talking about OU or Texas is one thing... dropping to OSU/Mizzou/KU is just nuts.  You set yourself up to be upset by a low-teir team, or you get a win that doesn't really mean much.
Would you rather play SW Missouri St, ULM, Utah St or New Mexico St?  There is absolutely no benefit there whereas playing any Big-12 school will get us Texass sized attention.  If we kick the Shiite out of OU or OSU then the Texass kids love us.  If we play TCU, TT, Baylor, aTm then the Texass kids see us.  How is that not a winning combination?  Losing should not be an issue.  If we play at teh level the Hogs SHOULD then we win.  It's all about exposure.

dishhog10

I live 45 minutes from Stillwater, that would be awesome!!!
Lets band together and back BP

James K. Pork

August 11, 2006, 09:01:25 pm #37 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 09:13:56 pm by James K. Pork
HatfieldHog, you can schedule two BCS-conference opponents on a four-game OOC schedule and still retain 3 home games in that scenario.  One year, your OOC away game would be Texas at Austin.  The next year, your one away OOC game could be in a Stillwater, Columbia, or maybe even Atlanta.

werehog

I am old enough to remember when the Ole Miss game was the most important game on the schedule. In those days, Ole Miss, LSU and Texas were the big games of the year. We drubbed OkieState and Tulsa with great regularity. There was no Wal-Mart and Tyson was still a regional biz. The only reason to go to Springdale was to hit the AQ Chicken Hut. Rogers and Bentonville were sleepy hick towns. Mississippi County (Blytheville, Osceola, Wilson) was the second most populous county in the state. After our contract with Johnny Vaught's Ole Miss Rebs ran out, Frank Broyles did want to let them back on the schedule. Arkansas had one of the best players Mississippi has ever produced in Lance Alworth (Brookhaven) and Johnny Vaught had built his team around Charlie Flowers (Marianna) in the late 1950s. Flowers is the only Arkansan to place in the top five in the Heisman Trophy balloting. Placing Kansas wouldn't mean much to those of us from East Arkansas and playing Nebraska, a big time 15 years ago doesn't mean much anymore. I'd rather play Memphis and Mizzou.

HoopS

With 4 OOC games, we need 1 big name team, Texas, a big but not Texas sized, OSU, and the ULM, Troys, what the heck ASUs of the world.  My 2 cents.

kuhog

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with you. Arkansas, and Ok State are quite similar within their respective conferences.

Jim

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 11, 2006, 08:49:05 pm

Would you rather play SW Missouri St, ULM, Utah St or New Mexico St?  There is absolutely no benefit there whereas playing any Big-12 school will get us Texass sized attention.  If we kick the Shiite out of OU or OSU then the Texass kids love us.  If we play TCU, TT, Baylor, aTm then the Texass kids see us.  How is that not a winning combination?  Losing should not be an issue.  If we play at teh level the Hogs SHOULD then we win.  It's all about exposure.

Word, Superhog.  +1

To answer previous questions though, I'd rather play OSU or Mizzou ANY day than pad our OOC games with such powerhouses as SMSU (aka: Missouri State) or La Monroe.  If we're so worried about getting beaten by the lower tiered Big 12 schools because we don't recruit OK that much anyway (and by saying that makes it sound like we've got some major inroads to that hothouse of football in Springfield), we better start really making sure we know we got the "W's" against these Utah State's in the bag.

wincrimson

Not a good idea to me.

I consider Arkansas to be above OK State. You guys are doing the right thing by taking on USC. To play weak sister OK State after such a power just kinda looks bad. Same thing with Mizzou, TCU, SMU, Kansas. Why Arkansas wants to schedule games toward the middle of the country (with the exception of playing in Austin) doesn't make much sense. The media, population, and recruits are all in the East. Therefore, a series with a Clemson, Georgia Tech, or VA Tech makes much more sense than to go out the Dust Bowl.

There's this Bama fans unwanted 2 cents.

hogrocker

We recruit Tulsa, and so does OSU.  Didn't they steal Myron McKinney from us this year?  I'm all for playing bigger named schools than SW Louisiana Vo-Tech, but I grew up in NWA, and OSU rarely occurs to me.  I spent some time over there in college.  It was a great town with a fun campus, but I always got the feeling they had a much bigger chip on their shoulder than we did.  While I'd rather pay money to see us play them than Weber State, I'm not sure it's a great idea-particularly if it comes in a year when we play Texas, USC, or the like.  Our conference schedule is plenty tough.

Calling All Hogs

Damn. When I read the headline of this thread I thought maybe we worked a deal for OSU to
take Nutt for 4 years (Hey it happened once!). Imagine my disappointment.. 8)

JBoroHog

The OSU-UA series was big back in the 60's and 70's. For years, the Hogs opened the season in War Memorial against Oklahoma State. Later, we had to go home and home with them and the series died. On of my favorite memories is the standing ovation on the 1st play of the 1968 season when sophomore Bill Montgomery overthrew sophomore Chick Dicus on a long go route. The stadium erupted. But, I digress. And, yes, OSU always came here with an attitiude and it was a tough game.

Now, I see no point in playing them anymore than playing Memphis. The only thing going for it is as a regional rival. If we're going to play OSU, make sure it's The Ohio State University.

hogsanity

If this deal, if it happens, is supposed to run at the same time that a series with TX or another big school runs, it is a bad idea.  One, with one the SEC sched one big ooc game is enough.  While you may not consider OSu big time, they are dangerous enough to beat you.  Plus, you have to give up a home game every other year.  So if you have 2 games like this, you lose 2 home games.  FEW bcs conf schools play 2 decent to better ooc games each year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SupaCrawf

Ooh, this could be good.  I was born in Stillwater, while both of my parents were in their senior year at O State.  I don't think the rivalry is there for Football like it would be for B-ball.  OSU is not much of a football school.  If you can't win it all with Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas on the field at the same time, you're never going to.  We would win at least 3 out of the 4 games, probably sweep them.  Nothing like a reason to talk smack to my Dad...
I'm kind of a big deal.

DirkPiggler

I knew we'd played OSU a lot back in the day, but I didn't realize just how much.  From 1950 - 1980 we played them every year except for 1954, 1958, and 1961.  All but four of those were in Little Rock (3 in Stillwater, 1 in Fayetteville).  We went from 1951 to 1975 without giving OSU a home game.  During that time our record against them was 22-6, with three of the losses coming consecutively from '73-'75.  Not coincidentally, that period also coincided with Jim Stanley bringing Alabama recruiting techniques to Stillwater and incurring severe probation for his efforts. 

Playing OSU wouldn't be a bad idea, but it shouldn't be a straight home-and-home.  Maybe 2 in Fayetteville, 1 in Stillwater.  Let's give them the same respect we did back when we were a premier program.  Of course, I doubt they'll go for that scenario.  Nevertheless, they are a historically inferior program (recent results notwithstanding) and should be treated as such for scheduling purposes.  After all, we don't play ULM in Monroe or Utah State in Utah, do we?
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

BigHog396

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 11, 2006, 08:49:05 pm

OK, let me get this straight.... You think we should rank playing OSU up there with Texas, USC, Michigan, or any other powerhouse in the nation?  Now, if by OSU you mean Ohio State I may agree with you.

The NCAA has gone to a 12 game schedule.  EVERY power conference school that is worth anything will be trying to set their schedule up with 1 top-teir game, and 3 rent-a-wins.  OSU is not even close to being good enough to rate as a top-teir team, so why would we want to schedule them?  You schedule a Texas, USC, OU, Miami, Notre Dame, etc., etc., etc., and then you schedule 3 cupcakes.  It would be absurd for us to schedule a series with OSU because of the reasons I stated earlier, it's a no-win for us... either we get a pretty much meaningless win, or we get a really bad loss.  Not a smart move, and I for one don't believe the TCU series was a smart move for the same reason.

Look at USC's situation this year.  They scheduled us when we were both on an up-swing.  It looked like it would be a pretty good series for both of us at the time, and then our program fell apart.  We got killed last year.  Now, if we somehow manage to pull out a W on 9/2 what do you think that will do for USC?  They will be kicking themselves for having signed on for this series.  Just like OSU would be for us... last year USC got a meaningless W, and this year a really bad loss if it happens.