Weems may be a Memphis Tiger???

Started by Marshfieldhog, August 02, 2006, 10:11:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pseudorabies

Quote from: HogHeathen on August 03, 2006, 09:08:02 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on August 03, 2006, 09:05:15 pm
Quote from: TuckFexas on August 03, 2006, 11:00:57 am
Pseudo, where you at?

My position is the same as it always has been.  If Sonny wants to be a hog, he will show up Monday and take his test.  He has to make a "D" on it and he will be fine.  I don't understand why people would think he would purposely show up to fail a test when all he has to do is not show up.  The ball is in his court, I hear he wants to be a hog.   :razorback:

I didn't think a "D" was transferable?  Maybe since it's UAFS instead of Westark they allow a D now??

Unless I was told wrong today, a "D" would make him eligible.  But let me say I don't think it's going to come down to a "D".   ;)

WILL CLINTON

I can't believe a Memphis tiger would come to a Razorback board to talk smack....they have ASU syndrome.  p*nis envy...

Please, guys, the next time a 2nd rate school from a conference that is a step up from the Sun Belt (from their schedule tho, it might not be that big of a step) comes to talk smack, just let him look stupid. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HogCards88

Quote from: cshivley1 on August 03, 2006, 09:07:51 pm
Quote from: dana caldwell on August 03, 2006, 09:04:37 pm
Quote from: cshivley1 on August 03, 2006, 06:11:21 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on August 03, 2006, 05:54:24 pm
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on August 03, 2006, 05:34:33 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on August 03, 2006, 05:31:03 pm
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on August 03, 2006, 05:25:47 pm
Someone tell me our basketball record against Memphis state over the last ten years. I was under the impression we beat them regularly even though our program has been down.

Arkansas leads the series 11-10.  The last game was during the 2002-2003 series and the finalscore was 73-67.  We are 5-1 at home, 4-5 away and 2-4 on neutral sites.

Man your quick! Thanks for the info.

Is that the overall record, because I thought they beat us three times in one year when Day and Mayberry were around?

Thanks.  Just wait when some Memphis fan wants to start comparing NCAA Tournament records!  8)

I honestly wish we could've played them in the 2nd round this year(obviously). I know they were really strong, but for some reason I feel like whenever we play them we have the edge. They can have one of the strongest lineups in the country, but they always underachieve. Sure, we underachieved this year, but they always do. We've seen 3 final fours since I've been around. Their players are under-disciplined, and they lack a "team" mentality. Maybe it's just me that feels that way, but they have one of the best HC's in the country, and they get some of the best recruits in the country every year. I went to numerous highschool games in the metro area and the kids there are unbelievable good..by themselves. That does not win national championships. The best team that I saw play over there had a star, but he did not play or act as one. Ernest Shelton (and Dane Bradshaw)from White Station. They played like a team, and I watched them handle Scooter McFadgon and his Raleigh-Egypt team. End result... Shelton goes to Bama, Bradshaw goes to UT, and Memphis got Scooter(who ended up transferring to my school where he shot every time he touched the ball).  Tradition isn't always a good thing...

arkansas has better tradition.

i hear what you're trying to say, but memphis would've beaten heath's hogs' butts. see bucknell results.

Never can tell....See George Mason Results
I hope you are kidding. Memphis would of beaten us like dogs.

judgeroyswine

I heard he just got a call from OU... The recruiting pitch was the now hiring sign in the window of Big Red Sports and Imports.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: judgeroyswine on August 04, 2006, 01:25:24 am
I heard he just got a call from OU... The recruiting pitch was the now hiring sign in the window of Big Red Sports and Imports.

+18,000

Nice play.

Bacon out...

toshortrock

who wants to play in memphis,,memphis is a dump,the crime rate is rising to the top,u got to be kidding me,they have more trash than my trash can
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

jkcrunch

Quote from: Heightshog on August 02, 2006, 10:19:04 pm
If Coach Heath feels like he failed the Algebra class on purpose i hope he considers not signing  his release.  If he's playing games like that he should have to sit out a year. JMO

The release is irrevelant according to the article.

Tomhog™

Quote from: pseudorabies on August 03, 2006, 09:05:15 pm
Quote from: TuckFexas on August 03, 2006, 11:00:57 am
Pseudo, where you at?

My position is the same as it always has been.  If Sonny wants to be a hog, he will show up Monday and take his test.  He has to make a "D" on it and he will be fine.  I don't understand why people would think he would purposely show up to fail a test when all he has to do is not show up.  The ball is in his court, I hear he wants to be a hog.   :razorback:

So is anyone going to stake-out the campus of UAFS to see if he shows up?

Tomhog™

To voice my opinion, if Sonny is wants to tarnish his character by not showing up for an exam or purposefully fail the test to get out of his LOI, then I don't want him here.  That would be a totally classless act and very disrespectful to the entire team. 

With that being said, I don't believe he'll do either of the above.  He will pass his test and be in a Hog uniform this fall!  There are too many conspiracy theorists out there concocting this malarkey...

hogfankb

Was it this week or next that he will be taking the final?

Pork Twain

August 04, 2006, 09:21:21 am #110 Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:25:02 am by Superhog1975
Should be this week since 4-yr college starts up next week.  At least they do out here in NM.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

dhornjr1

Quote from: toshortrock on August 04, 2006, 03:00:43 am
who wants to play in memphis,,memphis is a dump,the crime rate is rising to the top,u got to be kidding me,they have more trash than my trash can

Unfortunately, there are several reasons to want to play in Memphis.

First of all, I live here and it's not quite the "dump" you describe. Yes, the crime rate is on the rise but the vast majority of violent incidents are confined to a few areas.

Second, Calipari is as slick as they come and he can sell a recruit on Memphis in about three minutes. I mean, if most recruits compared Stan Heath to John Calipari there would be no comparison in their eyes. Calipari sells the "ex-NBA coach" angle and the kids just lap it up.

Third, they already are a Top 15 caliber team with the players they have returning. The Tigers players are treated like rock stars all over the city. They pay for nothing including cars, jewelry, clothes, food and also any indiscretions they may commit.

Fourth, Memphis is a big-city atmosphere and is about 70% African-American. I'm quite certain that a young black man looks at that and then looks at virtually lily-white, rural Northest Arkansas and weighs that. There is also a burgeoning hip-hop scene here with Three 6 Mafia recently winning an Academy Award and many other rappers flocking here to soak up the local "flava". You think that a young black man doesn't notice this? Basketball and hip-hop have become intertwined thanks to the NBA's embracing of that culture.

Fifth, Weems is from West Memphis so he would be much closer to family and friends.

Sixth, Nolan Richardson is still revered here in Memphis. Many black basketball fans in the South hold a grudge against the UA because of the Nolan/JFB debacle. The black community viewed that as a white devil shiiteing on a black man. This is passed on to kids who are being recruited. Their own friends and families tell them about it as well as recruiters from other schools.

Can't you just see someone like Calipari telling a recruit, "You don't want to go to Arkansas. You saw what they did to Nolan Richardson. You see there are hardly any black people there. You want to come here and play for a former NBA coach in the FedEx Forum where all the NBA teams come to play. Look, I had two guys drafted in the first round this year. One of them was a freshman. This could be you".

I don't like it any better than anyone else on this board. I have been a Razorback fan since I could focus my eyes and ears on a radio or TV. I grew up in Northwest Arkansas. We're just in a state of flux right now that can only be cured by winning. We're not that far removed from the glory days and I think they can still be reignited.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: dhornjr1 on August 04, 2006, 01:51:50 pm

First of all, I live here and it's not quite the "dump" you describe. Yes, the crime rate is on the rise but the vast majority of violent incidents are confined to a few areas.

Second, Calipari is as slick as they come and he can sell a recruit on Memphis in about three minutes. I mean, if most recruits compared Stan Heath to John Calipari there would be no comparison in their eyes. Calipari sells the "ex-NBA coach" angle and the kids just lap it up.

Third, they already are a Top 15 caliber team with the players they have returning. The Tigers players are treated like rock stars all over the city. They pay for nothing including cars, jewelry, clothes, food and also any indiscretions they may commit.

Fourth, Memphis is a big-city atmosphere and is about 70% African-American. I'm quite certain that a young black man looks at that and then looks at virtually lily-white, rural Northest Arkansas and weighs that. There is also a burgeoning hip-hop scene here with Three 6 Mafia recently winning an Academy Award and many other rappers flocking here to soak up the local "flava". You think that a young black man doesn't notice this? Basketball and hip-hop have become intertwined thanks to the NBA's embracing of that culture.

Fifth, Weems is from West Memphis so he would be much closer to family and friends.

Sixth, Nolan Richardson is still revered here in Memphis. Many black basketball fans in the South hold a grudge against the UA because of the Nolan/JFB debacle. The black community viewed that as a white devil shiiteing on a black man. This is passed on to kids who are being recruited. Their own friends and families tell them about it as well as recruiters from other schools.

Can't you just see someone like Calipari telling a recruit, "You don't want to go to Arkansas. You saw what they did to Nolan Richardson. You see there are hardly any black people there. You want to come here and play for a former NBA coach in the FedEx Forum where all the NBA teams come to play. Look, I had two guys drafted in the first round this year. One of them was a freshman. This could be you".

I don't like it any better than anyone else on this board. I have been a Razorback fan since I could focus my eyes and ears on a radio or TV. I grew up in Northwest Arkansas. We're just in a state of flux right now that can only be cured by winning. We're not that far removed from the glory days and I think they can still be reignited.

As much as I don't want to admit it, there is some truth there. 

Bacon out...

pseudorabies

The only thing waiting for Weems in Memphis is a whole lot of trouble. 

PORK CHOP

the guy wants to be a hog this is a rumor started by someone wanting to stir the bee hive

SpareRib

I'm a Memphian and I believe much of what dhornjr1 said is true, ...  this is a pretty good picture of what Tiger basketball's got going.

HOWEVER, Tomcat's point is well made.  Until evidence suggests otherwise, I would like to believe the young man will honor his word.

Quote from: Tomcat on August 04, 2006, 08:12:52 am
To voice my opinion, if Sonny is wants to tarnish his character by not showing up for an exam or purposefully fail the test to get out of his LOI, then I don't want him here.  That would be a totally classless act and very disrespectful to the entire team. 

With that being said, I don't believe he'll do either of the above.  He will pass his test and be in a Hog uniform this fall!  There are too many conspiracy theorists out there concocting this malarkey...

Pork Out!
WPS!!!
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HogCards88 on August 03, 2006, 11:03:55 pm
Quote from: cshivley1 on August 03, 2006, 09:07:51 pm
Quote from: dana caldwell on August 03, 2006, 09:04:37 pm
Quote from: cshivley1 on August 03, 2006, 06:11:21 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on August 03, 2006, 05:54:24 pm
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on August 03, 2006, 05:34:33 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on August 03, 2006, 05:31:03 pm
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on August 03, 2006, 05:25:47 pm
Someone tell me our basketball record against Memphis state over the last ten years. I was under the impression we beat them regularly even though our program has been down.

Arkansas leads the series 11-10.  The last game was during the 2002-2003 series and the finalscore was 73-67.  We are 5-1 at home, 4-5 away and 2-4 on neutral sites.

Man your quick! Thanks for the info.

Is that the overall record, because I thought they beat us three times in one year when Day and Mayberry were around?

Thanks.  Just wait when some Memphis fan wants to start comparing NCAA Tournament records!  8)

I honestly wish we could've played them in the 2nd round this year(obviously). I know they were really strong, but for some reason I feel like whenever we play them we have the edge. They can have one of the strongest lineups in the country, but they always underachieve. Sure, we underachieved this year, but they always do. We've seen 3 final fours since I've been around. Their players are under-disciplined, and they lack a "team" mentality. Maybe it's just me that feels that way, but they have one of the best HC's in the country, and they get some of the best recruits in the country every year. I went to numerous highschool games in the metro area and the kids there are unbelievable good..by themselves. That does not win national championships. The best team that I saw play over there had a star, but he did not play or act as one. Ernest Shelton (and Dane Bradshaw)from White Station. They played like a team, and I watched them handle Scooter McFadgon and his Raleigh-Egypt team. End result... Shelton goes to Bama, Bradshaw goes to UT, and Memphis got Scooter(who ended up transferring to my school where he shot every time he touched the ball).  Tradition isn't always a good thing...

arkansas has better tradition.

i hear what you're trying to say, but memphis would've beaten heath's hogs' butts. see bucknell results.

Never can tell....See George Mason Results
I hope you are kidding. Memphis would of beaten us like dogs.

How do you figure? Did Memphis have a better team? Yes.  But does that always matter? No. Look at the momentum factor. We had more momentum than any other team in the nation last year heading into the tourney(besides syracuse). Did it matter for the Bucknell game? No. Would it have mattered for the Memphis game? Possibly. I never said that we WOULD have beaten Memphis, I said that we COULD have. I have grown up watching the memphis/arkansas games, because I live close to memphis. I consider it to be a pretty heated rivalry when they play. Rivalry games=never can tell.... Not to mention, how did we beat Florida? After all they won the whole shebang. It's hard to say that you have no chance beating any team when you can beat the Champs. Say what you want, but I would have loved to see that game.

EastMemphisHog

I'll agree with you on a few of those things. BUT, Memphis is in no way a top 15-calibur team. They lost Williams, Carney, and Washington.....which means OVER half of that teams scoring. Memphis will always be pretty good, but top 15 next year...no way.

Tigermc

YOU MYOPIC IDIOT!

Seriously...bring it on Orange Nation (your former name on the ESPN board before being kicked off...right?  I'll bury your ass...completely!)
[/quote]

First, I am most certainly no Orange anything.

Second, Memphis can not compete with your history and tradition. I made that point earlier. Your history is rich and you should be very proud of it.

I...we just don't like being put down by some of you fans. And there was a lot of it. Our city, our school, our people and me were all attacked. I only responded to the attacks. Sometimes harshly. Even my comments about crime was in response to one of your fan's attacks. Didn't say we were Lilly white. I just pointed out the Hogs have a checkered past. Kirk most certainly is one of our more dark times. We had some trouble in the 70's also.

But the silly comment one of you fans made about our b'ball players paying for nothing is nothing short of fantasy. We have made some mistakes and paid for them. If you think our current president will put up with cheating you are wrong. She would fire her own mother if she caught her cheating.

Third, I would love to keep playing you guys in football and basketball. I think it would be a great series. It gives your fans in Memphis and eastern Ark. a chance to see your team. But Frank did bail on the contract and he did it very late. He gave
an excuse that turned out to be an obvious lie.

I suspect Cal has no interest in giving the Hogs any footing in recruiting in Memphis. That's understandable. But from the school's standpoint. Unless Frank makes the football series right, there is no leverage to force b'ball.

Things are going well for the Tigers right now. We had a great year this year by any standards. We lost three very good players but we have a wealth of experience and talent returning and a top 5 class coming in. We are two deep at every position and we think it is reasonable that a nother top 15 finish is well within our grasp.

Finally, Cal is a talker and many people do not like him. But he is clean. He is a great recruiter. He is a solid family man. He is a generous philanthropist. Much of the stuff said about him is false. You just have to get past his TV persona. Most people point to Camby as proof of his character but if you know the situation, Cal was not involved. Even CAmby said it from day one till today.

You have some great fans. Just tell them to cheer on the hogs rather than demean other teams.

Have a great season.

Tigermc

Got some bad areas, that's true. Also Memphis has some wonderful neighborhoods, great housing cost, lots to do. Crime is a problem but mainly restricted to neighborhoods you know to stay out of.

And I've been to Helena several times. Roses don't line all your streets either.

Tigermc

Quote from: pseudorabies on August 04, 2006, 02:47:22 pm

I really think all this talk of Weems is bunk. His dad talked out of turn and certainly Memphis was not after him.

He originally wanted to go to Memphis but evryone thought Thad Young was coming and no one thought Williams was leaving. With those two, Cal told him he would be fighting an uphill battle for playing time.

But as for trouble, no more likely to have trouble in Memphis than Fayetteville if history holds true.

Tigermc

who wants to play in Memphis,,Memphis is a dump,the crime rate is rising to the top,u got to be kidding me,they have more trash than my trash can

.........."Thank you"

............" Cal is really good at this point. He has his program going and kids going to the NBA. He also does not mind telling them when they are ready and doesn't try to keep them from exploring opportunities."

............."Man are you off base on this one. We have a had a few kids test the limits and they have paid the price. Cal will go to bat for kids because he came from the same streets and poor background they come from. But when they break NCAA rules or laws. They pay. And if you think the president will allow Cal to get away with hiding problems you don;t know her background. "

........."An oversimplification and frankly a little insulting to African-Americans. Not all AAs are mindless hip hop. Three 6 freaks."

..........."Weems will end up at U of A"

........."Most teens in Memphis have no idea who Nolan Richardson is. He has been out of the picture too long. I work in "the black community" and most of the people I talked to new nolan messed up. Still there are always the 2%"

......"There is no reason to bring up Nolan. The kids don't know him and we don't really recruit many of the same kids anymore." Cal could have had Weems (some people think) but it is reported that Cal told Weems family that his spot would be loaded and he would fight an uphill battle for playing time"

"I like Stan Heath. I think he will rebuild things there. He just needs a little time. The Hogs have a nice class coming in and I think it will include Weems. Weems will be a difference maker for you"

pseudorabies

Quote from: Tigermc on August 05, 2006, 09:48:26 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on August 04, 2006, 02:47:22 pm

I really think all this talk of Weems is bunk. His dad talked out of turn and certainly Memphis was not after him.

He originally wanted to go to Memphis but evryone thought Thad Young was coming and no one thought Williams was leaving. With those two, Cal told him he would be fighting an uphill battle for playing time.

But as for trouble, no more likely to have trouble in Memphis than Fayetteville if history holds true.

Yep, your probably right.  People are getting shot and stabbed all the time in Fayetteville.

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 02, 2006, 10:15:48 pm
Great. Lotta love for Texas A&M and Memphis from Weems' stepdad.
My Boss is an Aggie.. and always talks about their high academic standards.  I think he majored in   Making out after touchdowns

hoggerdinger

the notorious P.I.G.

Someone PLEEEEEEEEASE tell Tigermc when the day comes when his Memphis kittens play in a "relevant" conference, he can come back and talk to us. Hmmmm..... lets see....... SEC.... Confernce USA..... I don't know fellas that's a tough one.  :)

RBLtoHOG

I know Sonny personaly... this is all a load of crap
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

4thdownnutt

memfus state is still mad cause they got left in the c-usa  and we won a NC with their players.  The more I think about it the more I like memfus

HeadOverHill

I hate to interupt, but I need to know if I'm correct. He is taking this test tomorrow?

Just to make my opinion know: I honestly believe that he will end up here. Go Hogs!

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HeadOverHill on August 06, 2006, 03:21:06 pm
I hate to interupt, but I need to know if I'm correct. He is taking this test tomorrow?

Just to make my opinion know: I honestly believe that he will end up here. Go Hogs!

Yep. And i'll be in touch with him throughout the test. I gave him a wireless earpiece... get your math books out and pencils ready amigos.

TRUHOG718

??? When in doubt, sit next to the nerd!!  "Good Luck Sonny" ;D
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Tigermc

Quote from: the notorious P.I.G. on August 06, 2006, 01:14:19 pm
Someone PLEEEEEEEEASE tell Tigermc when the day comes when his Memphis kittens play in a "relevant" conference, he can come back and talk to us. Hmmmm..... lets see....... SEC.... Confernce USA..... I don't know fellas that's a tough one.  :)

Hay PIG. We have no delusions about the league we play in. The SEC is the top league in the country in my opinion and certainly a nice payday for you. The only problem with the SEC is that it is always on the edge of experiencing the same carnage that destroyed the SWC.

We play who who is on our schedule. We played you guys very nicely until you bailed. We play ole miss head up also over the last 15 years. Our record vs UT is not great but the score is usually close.

Any trash I have talked here is based on two things.
1. Responding to the trash some of your fans threw at us.
2. The fact that no matter what league you play in, recent history says you are not ahead of us. Maybe you need to ask your AD if he is worth the money you pay him.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Tigermc on August 08, 2006, 09:20:51 am
Quote from: the notorious P.I.G. on August 06, 2006, 01:14:19 pm

Hay PIG. We have no delusions about the league we play in. The SEC is the top league in the country in my opinion and certainly a nice payday for you. The only problem with the SEC is that it is always on the edge of experiencing the same carnage that destroyed the SWC.

We play who who is on our schedule. We played you guys very nicely until you bailed. We play ole miss head up also over the last 15 years. Our record vs UT is not great but the score is usually close.

Any trash I have talked here is based on two things.
1. Responding to the trash some of your fans threw at us.
2. The fact that no matter what league you play in, recent history says you are not ahead of us. Maybe you need to ask your AD if he is worth the money you pay him.

The carnage that destroyed the SWC was many teams not making enough money.  Supplementing these schools was killing the big 4.  I don't see that problem here.