Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weems may be a Memphis Tiger???

Started by Marshfieldhog, August 02, 2006, 10:11:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshfieldhog

This news may just pile on the bad news we've received during the last week. CBS Sportsline is reporting that Memphis will probably be the school of choice if Weems fails his algebra test, it even goes as far as saying he might fail it on purpose. Great!!!! Quotes from Weems stepfather are included.

Sorry, I don't know how to link it up but here is the web address.......

www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9583095

WilsonHog

Great. Lotta love for Texas A&M and Memphis from Weems' stepdad.

94 Hawg

what does this say about memfuss' academics...
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Heightshog

If Coach Heath feels like he failed the Algebra class on purpose i hope he considers not signing  his release.  If he's playing games like that he should have to sit out a year. JMO

Marshfieldhog

I agree, if he can't get a D on his final( I guess that is what he needs) then if I was Heath I would assume he tried to fail the class and then not release him from his LOI. I hope that part of failing it on purpose is a false rumor..that would be low class if true.

TRUHOG718

August 02, 2006, 10:21:14 pm #6 Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:22:47 pm by TRUHOG718
 ??? How long does it usually take the test results to come back?
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Richard_white

Great.  We might be getting 2 new HC soon.

GuvHog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on August 02, 2006, 10:20:51 pm
I agree, if he can't get a D on his final( I guess that is what he needs) then if I was Heath I would assume he tried to fail the class and then not release him from his LOI. I hope that part of failing it on purpose is a false rumor..that would be low class if true.

Weems' Stepfather quickly denied that rumor.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hog in MO

Quote from: Heightshog on August 02, 2006, 10:19:04 pm
If Coach Heath feels like he failed the Algebra class on purpose i hope he considers not signing  his release.  If he's playing games like that he should have to sit out a year. JMO

I don't believe Heath would have that option.  If Weems fails to qualify academically to get into the UA then there's nothing holding him to that LOI.

nwarazfan

This writer is a Memphis homer.  He is a scumbag who helped grow the rumor that we were trying to cheat in the recruitment of T Young by helping to spread Keith Easterwood's lies. 

WhenPigsFly

I think it would have been much easier for Weems to just drop the class instead of this "failing on purpose" nonsense.  Without the class, he doesn't qualify for admittance to and SEC school (which requires an additional math class, for some reason).  I agree this is cooked up by the writer.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 02, 2006, 10:25:17 pm

Uh, Guv, would you expect him to admit it?

Not everything that people say should be taken at face value, especially given the favorable statements he made about both A&M and Memphis.

TRUHOG718

With everything thats happened this past week throw me a freakin bone already!  >:( We need this kid!
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 02, 2006, 10:25:17 pm

I don't mean to bash you here, I know, surprise, surprise.  You really are a trusting person aren't you. I don't trust these people like you do.  I would think that his stepfather would say the "right thing" when being interviewed by a national sports publication or website.  We really don't know what he will, or won't do. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Dwight_K_Shrute

If the failing on purpose part is true, then the real question should be what in the world would cause Weems to want to back out of his commitment to Arkansas?  This is what really concerns me. 

Aside from the fact that if this does happen we are at best an NIT team, peaking as a 22 win one and done NCAA team once every four years isn't going to cut it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hog in MO

A$M and tiger high - two schools synonymous with scumbaggery.  Kinda makes me nervous that he's even considering either of them - much less both.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hog in MO on August 02, 2006, 10:35:07 pm
A$M and tiger high - two schools synonymous with scumbaggery.  Kinda makes me nervous that he's even considering either of them - much less both.

Better than scumbuggery.

Marshfieldhog

I agree- If Weems doesn't show we are in big trouble, you are looking at NIT maybe a NCAA and out in 1 game like last year as a best case sceniero. We really need that tall guard for defense and his offense as well.

Hog in MO

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 02, 2006, 10:34:28 pm
Quote from: Hog in MO on August 02, 2006, 10:25:29 pm

I don't believe Heath would have that option.  If Weems fails to qualify academically to get into the UA then there's nothing holding him to that LOI.

You act as if you know what you're talking about here.  Seems to conflict some other things I've heard.  I personally don't know.  Someone else chime in if you could.

One thing I do...Stanley Fresh Legs is sweating bullets.

I don't know that as fact - I'm just thinking in terms of what a LOI is, its a contract where both sides are bound to provide certain services.  If the UA cannot accept him as a student based on academics then I don't see how they can legally bind him to the LOI.  Then again - who ever said the NCAA used logic?

rzrback911

You guys seriously believe this crap??  There was an article on Rivals just the other day QUOTING Weems saying he would be at UofA and that as much as he respected his former coach, he would not follow him to aTm. 

His stepfather's quotes have been way overblown by this moron.  Yes, if Sonny fails the test, they will have to look somewhere else and you have to have a 2nd option in case the worst happens.  But, like its already been said, this guy is a major Memphis homer and a pathetic excuse for a sportswriter.  In other words, he fits right in in Memphis.

Marshfieldhog

If it was OU we would have to worry about Big Red Sports and Imports where we offer zero payments, zero down, for players of zero U.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on August 02, 2006, 10:41:27 pm
If it was OU we would have to worry about Big Red Sports and Imports where we offer zero payments, zero down, for players of zero U.

Or it could be auburn, where he would have already passed the final--weeks ago. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

nwarazfan

Quote from: rzrback911 on August 02, 2006, 10:40:46 pm
You guys seriously believe this crap??  There was an article on Rivals just the other day QUOTING Weems saying he would be at UofA and that as much as he respected his former coach, he would not follow him to aTm. 

His stepfather's quotes have been way overblown by this moron.  Yes, if Sonny fails the test, they will have to look somewhere else and you have to have a 2nd option in case the worst happens.  But, like its already been said, this guy is a major Memphis homer and a pathetic excuse for a sportswriter.  In other words, he fits right in in Memphis.

Gary Parrish is using this to take shots at us.  He wants to paint Levy as someone who would rather have his stepson be a Tiger than anything else.  He tries giving credence to this by mentioning Shawne Williams jump to the NBA and his position now being open as a reason why Weems and Levy want Weems to be a Tiger.  This is a very biased article by someone who gives 'journalism' a bad name.

If we could manage to get through this season without Weems in good enough shape that Heath keeps his job another season, 07-08 could be great considering who we would return and the addition of James Anderson(I think we get JA with Heath).  In that situation I'm OK with Weems taking his butt to Memfro if thats where he and his people want to be.  I just don't know if we can win enough without him.

williamsB

What I always wondered was, if Arkansas has so many good fans, how can it be that the whole city of Fort Smith could not have some Algebra teachers toooooooter the guy.

WindyCityHog

Basketball recruiting...

Seedy.

Memphis U. can kiss my ass....

Any algebra tutors out there? ;)

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: WindyCityHog on August 02, 2006, 10:50:21 pm
Basketball recruiting...

Seedy.

I've taken more math classes in the past 4 years that I can remember....Give me the kids number.  I'll bet TRG has it on speedial.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 02, 2006, 10:34:28 pm
Quote from: Hog in MO on August 02, 2006, 10:25:29 pm

You act as if you know what you're talking about here.  Seems to conflict some other things I've heard.  I personally don't know.  Someone else chime in if you could.

One thing I do...Stanley Fresh Legs is sweating bullets.

Be patient, Fresh, you will be rewarded.  People I trust more than the guy who wrote this story and the many whom believe it, assure me that Weems will be on the hill.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

jeffshogs

could he take the class at Marked Tree?
Get your bird dog butt up and down the court!

The_Bionic_Pig

LMAO!!!  guys don't bother to lose any sleep on this article...its crap and I can promise you that Sonny Weems will be working out with his new teamates in the next few weeks.    ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HogHeathen

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 02, 2006, 10:48:34 pm
If we could manage to get through this season without Weems in good enough shape that Heath keeps his job another season....

And there you have it, the worst-case scenario in a nutshell. 

hogsanity

Quote from: williamsB on August 02, 2006, 10:49:48 pm
What I always wondered was, if Arkansas has so many good fans, how can it be that the whole city of Fort Smith could not have some Algebra teachers toooooooter the guy.

He has been receiving tutoring, tons of it.  It is real hard for me to to say negative things about this guy, because I dont know ALL of the situation, but...........why do these guys always take it down to the wire to pass what really amounts to very few hours.  Freddie Barnett is another prime example of a guy, given a second chance by going juco or prep, yet not getting it done.

I do hope, if he does not pass, that there is a way for the Hogs to hold him to the LOI and make him sit a year before playing anywhere, but sadly, even if that the rule, some court would throw it out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 03, 2006, 10:40:08 am

He has been receiving tutoring, tons of it.  It is real hard for me to to say negative things about this guy, because I dont know ALL of the situation, but...........why do these guys always take it down to the wire to pass what really amounts to very few hours.  Freddie Barnett is another prime example of a guy, given a second chance by going juco or prep, yet not getting it done.

I do hope, if he does not pass, that there is a way for the Hogs to hold him to the LOI and make him sit a year before playing anywhere, but sadly, even if that the rule, some court would throw it out.

Weems says it wasn't he was short on credits its that he hadn't taken the class he needed "College Algebra" he states he almost finish with it.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogsanity

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on August 03, 2006, 10:47:08 am
Quote from: hogsanity on August 03, 2006, 10:40:08 am

Weems says it wasn't he was short on credits its that he hadn't taken the class he needed "College Algebra" he states he almost finish with it.

I know FOR FACT he alread either failed it or dropped it twice.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgon

He may not intentionaly fail it.  But, do you think he will take it as seriously with Memphis and A&M waiting?  Maybe not.  The truth is that if he were completely serious he would have passed college algebra the first time around.  So yeah, coming down to the last day, it is worrying.  I'm am betting that the longer he has to study, the less time he gets to spend chasing tail and hanging out with the boys, the better Memphis will look.  Unless he is totally dedicated to going to Arkansas, there will always be that little voice in the back of his head saying, "Don't worry, if you fail, you get to go to Memphis.  They have better basketball anyway."

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgon on August 03, 2006, 10:52:06 am
He may not intentionaly fail it.  But, do you think he will take it as seriously with Memphis and A&M waiting?  Maybe not.  The truth is that if he were completely serious he would have passed college algebra the first time around.  So yeah, coming down to the last day, it is worrying.  I'm am betting that the longer he has to study, the less time he gets to spend chasing tail and hanging out with the boys, the better Memphis will look.  Unless he is totally dedicated to going to Arkansas, there will always be that little voice in the back of his head saying, "Don't worry, if you fail, you get to go to Memphis.  They have better basketball anyway."

Where do people get these ideas? Weems has stated several times that he fully intends to be a Hog. That's where his heart is. for a reporter to say he would intentionally fail a test to go to Memphis is just pure BS!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 03, 2006, 10:56:39 am
Quote from: Hawgon on August 03, 2006, 10:52:06 am

Where do people get these ideas? Weems has stated several times that he fully intends to be a Hog. That's where his heart is. for a reporter to say he would intentionally fail a test to go to Memphis is just pure BS!

I do not knwo his intentions, but he has been at UAFS for 2 years and all the summer sessions, yet he is down to the last day on a course that he knew he had to have FROM DAY 1?  Thats the part that really bugs me.

TuckFexas

Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Tigermc

Basketball recruiting...

Seedy.

Just a few thoughts for a bunch of you chumps.

Weems people mentioned us. We were not seeking him.
I'm not sure there is a slot for him even if he does want to come.
I'm not sure he qualifies here either. Internet rumors are for idiots!
Check your own house before you call us scum! The Cal attacks are tired and childlike. Nobody has anything on him.
As soon as you get your head our of your own but you can kiss mine!

After welshing on our football contract and having your AD drop the F bomb on the radio while calling out our radio guy and giving UT a serious run for their money on player arrests, you need to be silent and have people think you are idiots rather than open your mouths and prove it.

Keep Weems. We don't need him. You are in sad shape without him. I'm out of here. The whining from you bunch of has-beens is making me ill.

HogFanLR

Quote from: Tigermc on August 03, 2006, 11:09:38 am
Basketball recruiting...

Seedy.

Check your own house before you call us scum! The Cal attacks are tired and childlike. Nobody has anything on him.

After welshing on our football contract and having your AD drop the F bomb on the radio while calling out our radio guy and giving UT a serious run for their money on player arrests, you need to be silent and have people think you are idiots rather than open your mouths and prove it.

Keep Weems. We don't need him. You are in sad shape without him. I'm out of here. The whining from you bunch of has-beens is making me ill.

somebody needs a hug. 

oswilliams

I'm just surprised to see that the gettos of Memphis now have computers and internet. Thanks for dropping by, now go put on your bullet proof vest and get to work.

Hawgon

Dude, I was young once.  That is where I get this crap.  Human nature is what it is.  If you have two nearly equal goals.  One you have to work really hard to get.  The other is just there for the taking.  The one that you have to work hard for begins to look less and less attractive.  Soon, you convince yourself that the easier one is the one you really wanted all along.  You may not actually quit trying to get the harder goal, but you may not put out the effort to actually attain it.  When you fail, you take the attitude that everything worked out for the best anyway. 

Ugly Uncle

Basketball recruiting...

Seedy.

Then why are you still logged on?  Thought you were leaving.

Your insight though misguided is appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by.  Be careful over there...some mean streets.

Memphis does have GREAT BBQ.  I miss going to Corky's.
Retired Radio Host

ghg1

The whining from you bunch of has-beens is making me ill.

Tiger High never has to worry about being a has-been.  You have to actually have been something first.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on August 03, 2006, 10:34:52 am
Quote from: nwarazfan on August 02, 2006, 10:48:34 pm
If we could manage to get through this season without Weems in good enough shape that Heath keeps his job another season....

And there you have it, the worst-case scenario in a nutshell. 

No, worst case is if Weems is ineligible which leads to us having an NIT season and Heath is forced out and an up and comer is hired.  The relationship he has built with JA is wasted and JA opts for another school along with the SG from Michigan and Townes leaves early.  Instead of having a legit Final 4 contender in 07-08 with a senior dominated team and two dynamic freshman, one of whom has been described as the best high school player in this state since Corliss, we are once again rebuilding instead of contending. 

But you go ahead and take a partial quote of mine, don't try to understand what I'm saying and use it to make a little smart ass remark.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 03, 2006, 11:39:39 am
No, worst case is if Weems is ineligible which leads to us having an NIT season and Heath is forced out and an up and comer is hired.  The relationship he has built with JA is wasted and JA opts for another school along with the SG from Michigan and Townes leaves early.  Instead of having a legit Final 4 contender in 07-08 with a senior dominated team and two dynamic freshman, one of whom has been described as the best high school player in this state since Corliss, we are once again rebuilding instead of contending. 

But you go ahead and take a partial quote of mine, don't try to understand what I'm saying and use it to make a little smart ass remark.

First off, I fully understood what you were saying in your initial post, and I thought I was doing you a favor by cutting out most of it.  It was so insanely wrong-headed that I thought perhaps you might already be trying to distance yourself from it.  My bad.  The way I see it, any scenario where Fresh Legs is here more than another season is a worst case scenario. 

The fact is, with Heath coaching us and without Weems, we will be LUCKY to get any consideration at all from the NIT this year.  We're replacing better than 60% of our offense and probably more of our defense, and without Weems will have almost nothing coming in to replace those guys. 

It seems you are very enamoured with Heath's recruiting prowess, but I just don't see it.  In fact after four years here, we'll be going into this season with the weakest team we've had since his first year.  If you think that Stanley is brewing up a final four contender for 07-08, you are living in a fantasy land.  Also, do you have any reason to believe that Townes would leave early if Stan was fired?  All I've ever seen on the court indicates that virtually every player on that team hates or at least doesn't respect Stan.  Have you seen the ratings his own players gave him?  http://www.coachratings.com/index.html  I don't know if Townes will be leaving early or not, but I have to believe that if Heath were fired, Townes would be throwing a party.

As for JA, well, Heath has already worked with one 'best hs player since Corliss', and managed to squeeze exactly one NCAA tournament loss to Bucknell out of him.  Why do you think things would be different with the next 'best hs player since Corliss'?  Or is last year's performance the sort of stretch goal we should have for the program? 

The bottom line is that Arkansas' tradition, location, and facilities should recruit themselves to these Arkansas kids, so I don't give Stan a lot of props for garnering some interest from JA.    Hire the right guy, let JA know we're committed to winning, and we won't lose JA's interest. 

I believe that keeping old Fresh Legs around after another disappointing season on the off chance we might sign some Arkansas kid the following year is just a terrible decision.  Getting rid of Heath in the hopes that the next guy can not only get interest from some talented players, but also improve the talent on hand and win a few basketball games would be a much better deal in my opinion.

Tigermc

Quote from: oswilliams on August 03, 2006, 11:15:26 am
I'm just surprised to see that the gettos of Memphis now have computers and internet. Thanks for dropping by, now go put on your bullet proof vest and get to work.

This is Someone from Arkansas calling someone else backward! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

And don't forget. We see the news about what goes on over there. And it isn't pretty. I don't think you want to trade gun stories. You athletes have enough arrests to give the state of Arkansas a bad name.

And for your information, I would gladly compare saftey stats with you for the U of M and UA.