Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breaking Sooner News...

Started by Stamford Hog, August 02, 2006, 01:14:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stamford Hog

on 1310 Ticket in Dallas.  Two OU football players dismissed from team with reports that one is starting qb Rhett Bomar.  Investigation uncovered players paid for jobs not worked.  Hopefully the NCAA will camp out there for half a decade like they did to us.

Rooka

And we thought that we were in trouble, WOW.

wooo

TulsaHogFan

Let's see how Stoops handles a cloud.

That is if this turns out true.

I have heard nothing so far.

wooo

I cant figure out how to link a page...Its on ESPN.com

HawgPilot

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on August 02, 2006, 01:17:50 pm

See Soonerscoop.com for more.  It's true.

TulsaHogFan

Just copy the address and paste it here.

WizardofhOgZ

HOGLUVIN

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, according to a television report.

Rhett Bomar threw for 1,018 yards and 10 TDs as a freshman in 2005.
Oklahoma confirmed that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

Oklahoma City television station KWTV reported that Bomar, who set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards after taking over as the Sooners' starter in the second game last season, was one of the two players who had been permanently dismissed.

"We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules," head coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.

"Our team and university actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations," Stoops said.

A top-rated recruit out of high school, Bomar redshirted his first season while 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White completed his career. Bomar lost a quarterback competition to Paul Thompson last fall, but was named the starter after the Sooners lost to TCU in the first week.

He started Oklahoma's final 11 games and completed 54 percent of his passes, while throwing 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Oklahoma finished 2005 by winning six of its final seven games, including a victory against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

"I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values," Stoops said in the statement.

aristotle

No doubt. If we had a cloud this must be a tornado.

mikeirwin

AP has released it.
It's true.

Conway Cool Daddy

WOW, that's unbelievable.
Does OU have any depth at QB?

williamsB

djgaffer

It will be interesting to see how quickly the NCAA reacts to this.  One of the most frustrating things about our investigation was that it took forever to complete.  It might be different with one of their darlings. 

ColinRagan

And how come they didn't dismiss when he took a car for a few weeks without paying for it?

williamsB

On Quinn, a OU fan says this

I think with OU's OL problems, this one may hurt the Sooners more than Bomar, although it won't get the same press coverage because it's not the QB.

williamsB

I love for those cheaters to get caught but I hate worse for Texas to be handed another Big 12 title

Landonhog

August 02, 2006, 01:35:43 pm #17 Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:03:15 pm by Landonhog
Quote from: williamsB on August 02, 2006, 01:27:13 pm
J.D. Quinn

I think JD Quinn is gone also....  They live together and both work at Big Red Sports and Imports....  I'm texting with one of the starting linemen right now....  He won't answer me quick enough.....   
I'm afraid to drive back to Norman tonight....  I think I'll just stay at the office here in Edmond....  They're probably burning the city as I type....  Ha!   :razorback:

Yep, sounds like Quinn...

HighonSwine

Quote from: djgaffer on August 02, 2006, 01:27:50 pm
It will be interesting to see how quickly the NCAA reacts to this.  One of the most frustrating things about our investigation was that it took forever to complete.  It might be different with one of their darlings. 

That is what I will be looking for as well.  I would gurantee, and since this is on record now, that it will be over and done with in less than a year.

We pay 20 players an average of $200.00 per player for work they did do, just overpaid for the work they did. 

These guys got money for doing NO WORK?

It still pisses me off that the NCAA took so long with us for not much of anything in my opinion.  The guys worked, it is basically they were paid $12 instead of $10 that most regular people doing the same work made.  Big deal, that happens all the time.  I do the same work as others and get paid more right now.  Just still is crazy to me as to why that investigation took so long.

Will really be interesting to see how long it takes the NCAA to do their homework in this case with as the other poster said a "darling" of the NCAA.

Theolesnort

How much has OU to hide. Could Stoops deflect an intensive NCAA investigation by being so decisive? Gosh this looks very bad for them but by being so decisive maybe the NCAA will call off the dogs? If this was Tenn it for sure would work but the NCAA has been harsh with OU in the past.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

pork and mindy

Whatever, if you think this will drag on longer than about an hour or so, you're crazy. OU is a darling, Arkansas was expendable in the eyes of the NCAA. This will be quick and painless.

aristotle

Forecast for Norman: Severe storms followed by a long period of cloudiness.

nwarazfan

Quote from: williamsB on August 02, 2006, 01:33:59 pm
I love for those cheaters to get caught but I hate worse for Texas to be handed another Big 12 title

Don't count on Texass winning anything.  Okie St was drilling them last year before the One Man Show took over for Texass literally carrying them to a comeback.  Texass will go somewhere this year like they went to Stillwater last year and will get jumped on due to being unprepared.  But this year they won't have a VY to bail out their butts.

And this could help us in E and N Texas recruiting if it turns out to be a serious investigation and if Nutt's staff can get it together.

williamsB

what does Stoops make out there, like $3 mil?

They can buy their way out of trouble

HogKong

August 02, 2006, 01:40:24 pm #24 Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 01:42:13 pm by HogKong
Just saw on espn.com, that he was dismissed from team due to an investigation!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

Conway Cool Daddy

Link to CFN OU Offense Analysis

Weakness Back up QB; Offensive line . Ouch................

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_12/2006_Previews/Oklahoma_offense.htm

williamsB

JackJohnson

My money is like a true professional- like how Butch handled it at Miami, not like how amateur hour did here at Ark

Michael Porkleone

repost...thread stickied at top of page.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

williamsB

where will those players end up? Like Div II schools?

HOGLUVIN

"Now he has to take the next step up in his development and be a main reason the team wins"

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: williamsB on August 02, 2006, 01:33:59 pm

Hopefully Texas will be caught one of these days...
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

aristotle

Wow, their boards are blowing up. Check the rivals page

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=895&fid=28&style=2&items=75

Sux to be them right now.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: aristotle on August 02, 2006, 01:46:02 pm
Wow, their boards are blowing up. Check the rivals page

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=895&fid=28&style=2&items=75

Sux to be them right now.
WHO'S ONLINE: 1070 registered users 

WILL CLINTON

The big difference between this and Arkansas, as far as I can tell, is that OU dismissed the players and Arkansas didn't even know about it, and wouldnt have if not for a nasty divorce.  If Arkansas had found out, and taken immediate action, I doubt our cloud would have been so big and dark. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogsmaster

While I hate to admit it, OU will be fine.  They will recover from losing a QB of Bomar's caliber.

williamsB

If you knew what those Hollywood stars paid those USC players to clean their pools,,,,,,,,,,:)

SPAL

I wonder if the OU faithful are ripping their coach because a player made a bad decision after he preached right from wrong to them.

thehill1414

This is great! I can't stand that cocky Bob Stoops...Bomar was the #1 qb out of hs and was really progressing towards the end of last season. No way they will win the nc anymore.

Landonhog

Quote from: Landonhog on August 02, 2006, 01:35:43 pm
Quote from: williamsB on August 02, 2006, 01:27:13 pm
J.D. Quinn

I think JD Quinn is gone also....  They live together and both work at Big Red Sports and Imports....  I'm texting with one of the starting linemen right now....  He won't answer me quick enough.....   
I'm afraid to drive back to Norman tonight....  I think I'll just stay at the office here in Edmond....  They're probably burning the city as I type....  Ha!   :razorback:

Yep, sounds like Quinn is gone too....   They were working at the same dealership that Peterson was "loaning" a car from.....  Big Red Sports and Imports....

thehill1414

Anyone else on here from Oklahoma just loving this?!

nwarazfan

Quote from: thehill1414 on August 02, 2006, 01:59:50 pm
This is great! I can't stand that cocky Bob Stoops...Bomar was the #1 qb out of hs and was really progressing towards the end of last season. No way they will win the nc anymore.

Don't worry about Stoops.  The farther he gets from John Blake's recruits the worse the Sooner program will get.  His best bet is to hope to land an NFL job soon like the Cowgirls or Chefs.  He's made his living outcoaching Mack Brown(not hard) while being outcoached by Les Miles, Saban, Carroll and Snyder.  $3 million way too much to pay him.   

aspivey

Wow, That makes me feel better about the "BAD TOE". It would really suck to be them.
The Great Dale Divider

HogHillbilly

A guy I work with, his brother is a trainer at OU. He told us that Bomar was getting paid $12,000 a month for working 1 hour at a car dealership....................Take it with a grain of salt.
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Richard_white

Maybe Houston Nutt can talk to Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione about giving Bob Stoops a 2 year pass.

Hawgballz

Brandon Ting LB USC has quit the team after testing positive for steriods according to Rotoworld.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

aristotle

Quote from: Richard_white on August 02, 2006, 02:21:02 pm
Maybe Houston Nutt can talk to Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione about giving Bob Stoops a 2 year pass.

Stoops has won the big one, and is deserving of a pass. I'm not sure how that would compare to our situation. We give passes for everything but winning.

hogsanity

I am going out on a limb and say that the NCAA will do .............................NOTHING to OU.  They will do a "investogation" that will end long before signing day. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Adam Stokes

Think this will cause any of their 5 commits to break their commitments?  Desmond Jackson would be a great pickup and he was interested in us before he made a verbal to OU.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: HawgBall06 on August 02, 2006, 02:23:01 pm
Brandon Ting LB USC has quit the team after testing positive for steriods according to Rotoworld.

Yes, he and his twin brother both have quit the team............Two less we have to worry about........If we don't get McFadden back, it's starting to even out a little bit.......
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG