Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Eerie Similarity to Last Year

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, March 17, 2018, 08:06:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

At the time, our football program had an ok football season. Beat some good teams. Lost to some ok teams then lost a postseason game that they should've won against VT. (Pretty much) Everyone loved BB as a person. He's down to earth and most said he'd be at the top of a list of guys to "sit down and have a beer with". But the wins just weren't there to satisfy. So, here we had a likable guy who wasn't producing on a level that satisfied the majority of fans. At that point, the next season was agreed to be of utmost importance. It was going to make or break him. His team underperformed and he was canned.

I feel that CMA is on this path right now. He's so likable. He wins games, but hasn't done a ton in the tourneys. After BB's bad postseason loss to VT, most looked at the losses and saw that we were so close to winning them and he just had bad luck, so we looked towards the next year where he missed the postseason. If CMA misses the postseason next year, do you think he'll follow in BB's footsteps?

Keep in mind, after that last season, I did a poll of how many people liked BB but wanted him gone. If CMA bombs next season, will that be your sentiments towards him?

Please. This isn't a thread to just vent. I understand everyone's frustration. I'm asking a logical (I know...it's Hogville) question for discussion purposes.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

raz1965

The football team under coach B never really had a record that can compare to the basketball team , not that bb has been great but records are far apart. The basketball team went 5 an 2 against ranked teams this year.

BDSCT51

I believe you make some valid points. I would disagree with you over the BB assessment of "bad luck" (Plain outcoached as I see it!) but your observations are probably close to the truth.

I actually believed this was MA's make or break year with the talent he had available. The biggest disappointment for me is the seemingly lack of development that Gafford has shown and the tremendous lack of fundamentals the team has shown. It's not the losses for me, it's HOW THEY LOST! As was proven last night, a team with outstanding fundamentals and basketball IQ can get the job done against superior talent 99% of the time. I just don't see that with MA's teams.
Bleeding Razorback Red

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: BDSCT51 on March 17, 2018, 08:17:28 am
I believe you make some valid points. I would disagree with you over the BB assessment of "bad luck" (Plain outcoached as I see it!) but your observations are probably close to the truth.

I actually believed this was MA's make or break year with the talent he had available. The biggest disappointment for me is the seemingly lack of development that Gafford has shown and the tremendous lack of fundamentals the team has shown. It's not the losses for me, it's HOW THEY LOST! As was proven last night, a team with outstanding fundamentals and basketball IQ can get the job done against superior talent 99% of the time. I just don't see that with MA's teams.

I agree about Butler being very well coached. They always are. But my point about BB having some "bad luck" is he'd seemingly come out great. His team was prepared and the game plan was right...but it's was interceptions, fumbles, broken assignments in the defense to allow 80 he TDs. We seemed to find ways to lose. I don't put that SOLELY on BB as he didn't ask AA to throw 3 picks at the end of the VT game, or Morgan to fumble the ball multiple times during the same time. Same with the Missouri game. He didn't ask AA to throw those picks. I don't think he prepared them well enough for when times got tough in the 4th and that was his downfall. And for BB...that was bad luck for him as it wasn't his doing per se. but that's just my opinion.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BDSCT51

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 17, 2018, 08:31:10 am
I don't think he prepared them well enough for when times got tough in the 4th and that was his downfall. And for BB...that was bad luck for him as it wasn't his doing per se. but that's just my opinion.

Spot on too! The players have to execute as part of that equation in addition to the coaching aspect. In that same vein, MA had "eerie similarities" to BB on multiple occasions this year that just left me in a "WTH" is going on thought process.
Bleeding Razorback Red

latrops

Quote from: raz1965 on March 17, 2018, 08:15:44 am
The football team under coach B never really had a record that can compare to the basketball team , not that bb has been great but records are far apart. The basketball team went 5 an 2 against ranked teams this year.

You can't make a perfect comparison between the two sports, but the general feeling may be similar.  It's not just about this year.  By itself this year was ok.  As a whole, CMA's 7 years here, while exceeding what his recent predecessors did, have been a bit of a disappointment given the more consistent and higher level of success he experienced in prior stops.

The real concern is that, with next season looking like a probable step back, particularly if Gafford leaves, the overall picture through 8 years really wouldn't justify keeping him beyond next season.  If next year is a down year, you are looking at 8 years, 3 NCAAT trips, no Sweet 16s or better, no regular season or conference tournament titles, seldom ranked, etc.  A feeling of hopelessness that might be comparable to what we felt last year under Bielema.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: latrops on March 17, 2018, 08:47:34 am
You can't make a perfect comparison between the two sports, but the general feeling may be similar.  It's not just about this year.  By itself this year was ok.  As a whole, CMA's 7 years here, while exceeding what his recent predecessors did, have been a bit of a disappointment given the more consistent and higher level of success he experienced in prior stops.

The real concern is that, with next season looking like a probable step back, particularly if Gafford leaves, the overall picture through 8 years really wouldn't justify keeping him beyond next season.  If next year is a down year, you are looking at 8 years, 3 NCAAT trips, no Sweet 16s or better, no regular season or conference tournament titles, seldom ranked, etc.  A feeling of hopelessness that might be comparable to what we felt last year under Bielema.

I don't see how they are comparable. If you translated Bielema's win pct to basketball we wouldn't even be playing in the NIT. Only 30% of all basketball teams make the NIT and NCAA tournament. Around 60% of football teams make a bowl game.

Then take that no one expected a step back with last season in football, we had returning players at many key positions. Plus, I think it is too early to say that next season will be a step back in basketball. We lose a lot of production but we also have some good talent coming in and will be far more athletic than we have been in the past. The young guys are by far the best defensive players on the team this year. I expect us to be a better defensive and rebounding team than we were this year even if Gafford leaves.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: latrops on March 17, 2018, 08:47:34 am

This is actually what I was referring to. Not as much Ws and Ls, as it is about the growing accumulative angst towards our likable coaches. Also if the new AD will have to hold back the mob of fans calling for his head if we miss the postseason next year.

I don't want mine fired but next year is important. I loved B.B. but wanted him gone. I love MA too...but I'd like to see a little more from him.

Also, BB playing 12 games in the SECW is very different when you're comparing "success" between the 2 coaches. CMA hasn't had to face what BB did year in and year out.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 17, 2018, 09:04:17 am
I don't see how they are comparable. If you translated Bielema's win pct to basketball we wouldn't even be playing in the NIT. Only 30% of all basketball teams make the NIT and NCAA tournament. Around 60% of football teams make a bowl game.

Then take that no one expected a step back with last season in football, we had returning players at many key positions. Plus, I think it is too early to say that next season will be a step back in basketball. We lose a lot of production but we also have some good talent coming in and will be far more athletic than we have been in the past. The young guys are by far the best defensive players on the team this year. I expect us to be a better defensive and rebounding team than we were this year even if Gafford leaves.

I just typed this but I'll say it again. I'm not comparing the Ws and Ls. I'm comparing the angst of our fan base towards likable coaches, and having ok seasons with a botched postseason.

Again, the competition BB faced isn't close to what MA faces either.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 17, 2018, 09:07:22 am

Also, BB playing 12 games in the SECW is very different when you're comparing "success" between the 2 coaches. CMA hasn't had to face what BB did year in and year out.

BB couldn't beat the bottom feeders in the East. He played 6 SEC west games a year and the dominance of the SEC West has been waning while Basketball has been getting tougher for the last 3 years. 3 times in 5 years Bielema finished as the worst team in his division. This comparison to Bielema, who might be the worst coach in any sport in Arkansas history is laughable.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 17, 2018, 09:11:21 am
I just typed this but I'll say it again. I'm not comparing the Ws and Ls. I'm comparing the angst of our fan base towards likable coaches, and having ok seasons with a botched postseason.

Again, the competition BB faced isn't close to what MA faces either.

The angst isn't really comparable either, nationally BB was under heat. Here we have a handful of message board posters complaining.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 17, 2018, 09:13:44 am
BB couldn't beat the bottom feeders in the East. He played 6 SEC west games a year and the dominance of the SEC West has been waning while Basketball has been getting tougher for the last 3 years. 3 times in 5 years Bielema finished as the worst team in his division. This comparison to Bielema, who might be the worst coach in any sport in Arkansas history is laughable.

Hmmm...not sure if you're just looking to argue or if you're really not understanding what I'm saying.

There is a growing angst towards a very likable coach. This season feels very similar to how BBs 4th season ended.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: raz1965 on March 17, 2018, 08:15:44 am

5 and 2 doesn't sound right. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 17, 2018, 09:18:22 am
Hmmm...not sure if you're just looking to argue or if you're really not understanding what I'm saying.

There is a growing angst towards a very likable coach. This season feels very similar to how BBs 4th season ended.

I understand what your saying, I see a angst among a few posters on a message board. When I start hearing angst on national sports shows than I think it will be comparable.

rude1

Next season is season 8, miss the tourney AGAIN and we have 3 visits in 8 seasons with no real accomplishments in our 3 visits. That signifies to me it is time to cut bait. How many seasons are we going to give MA to prove he can get this program to national prominence? Or was he hired with the intent of just improving the program enough to make the tourney every now and then with no tourney run, no conference titles, no conference tournament titles?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 17, 2018, 09:26:40 am
I understand what your saying, I see a angst among a few posters on a message board. When I start hearing angst on national sports shows than I think it will be comparable.

Fair enough. I live in Va so I Hogville is the only Hog discussion I hear. (I know...sad, right?)