Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great coaching job by Coach Anderson tonight...

Started by Razorpigg, February 13, 2018, 08:51:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorpigg

Although you could tell it was his plan early on, DG getting into foul trouble got us out of it, but you could tell that the plan at the start of the 2nd half was to get the ball down low. It wore on a smaller OM team, and our defense was stellar. Things are looking towards a great finish! Great game by Gabe and DH as well, and Beard was solid tonight and made some big shots.

texas tush hog

Surely you don't mean that Mike Anderson is actually becoming a great coach, surely not.

Breems

The offensive gameplan was spot on. Dump it down low and attack the hoop. Lots of drive and kick/dish tonight. Macon was drawing a lot of attention and used it to his advantage to get 6 assists.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ChicoHog

Loved the way they were pounding it inside.  Only con was Hall missing too many foul shots.  I like thompson and Gafford playing together.  It looked like the Mississippi strategy was to guard the 3 point shot which they did fairly well but we took advantage of the mis-matches down low. 

niels_boar

The depth is starting to come into play.  In the last three wins they have dominated the last 10 minutes of the halves.  As is becoming a February tradition,  the defense is starting to surge as well, probably not coincidentally with the above.  That was the fourth time in six games that they held an opponent under 1 point per possession or so.  They were having trouble keeping offenses under 1.1 ppp in January.  The A&M game was one of the two games in which they didn't hold the the opposing O under 1 ppp, but that defensive performance was as good or better than what A&M did to USC, Auburn, and UK since.  Our D has not been outlier bad relative to the SEC lately, quite the opposite.  That takes the pressure off the O to be perfect and makes the O look a lot better.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

PORKULATOR

Both halves, 12 minutes in OM got tired, subs didn't mesh as well. Not enough depth to run with hogs on a even a decent night this late in the season.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

King Kong

It's also in part our conditioning that helps wear teams out. MA's teams always have dead legs around the start of conference play. Rebound from it at the end of the year when most other teams get dead legs.

But it's clear the last 2 games getting the ball to Gafford in the post has been a focus

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 13, 2018, 08:51:54 pm
Although you could tell it was his plan early on, DG getting into foul trouble got us out of it, but you could tell that the plan at the start of the 2nd half was to get the ball down low. It wore on a smaller OM team, and our defense was stellar. Things are looking towards a great finish! Great game by Gabe and DH as well, and Beard was solid tonight and made some big shots.
He is kind of paid a lot of money to be a great coach at a formerly great program. Just do your job.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Cotton

This is laughable... OM was like 1 for 22 at one point...

Where was the great coaching when we came out for the second half and blew a big lead like always?  OM is just really bad, save the pumping for when we beat a good team.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

navyhog24

waphill

Quote from: King Kong on February 14, 2018, 06:49:53 am

But it's clear the last 2 games getting the ball to Gafford in the post has been a focus

As it should be. Even if he doesn't make a move, they will double him or the D will sag down creating open shots and mis-matches for everybody else. It needs to be a continued focus going forward. They got away from that at the beginning of SEC play.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Cotton on February 14, 2018, 08:40:00 am

Where was the great coaching when we came out for the second half and blew a big lead like always?  OM is just really bad, save the pumping for when we beat a good team.

Arkansas adjusted to the run and went with a match up zone. Played Gafford and Thompson together and had Macon on the bench. Mike made some big time moves last night that helped his team.

King Kong

Welcome to college basketball where everyone makes a run even bad teams who's coach quit. Heck that's even a joke the SEC Network uses in its Highlights for every team.

Overall I believe it was more good conditioning, development of youngers and a team that eventually gave up more so than great coaching. I would say good coaching especially when MA kept Macon on the bench recognizing that the team on the floor was causing Ole Piss major problems

J-Five

Arkansas never lost their lead in the second half...correct me if I'm wrong. 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: J-Five on February 14, 2018, 09:15:13 am

Arkansas never lost their lead in the second half...correct me if I'm wrong. 

They never did and I was never worried.  Ole Miss had a nice little run where they had 3 3pt plays in a row but that was about it.  Our guys never panicked and OM blew all their energy making the run. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 14, 2018, 08:44:22 am
He still plays Arlando Cook too much.
had to last night, Gafford and Trey both got into early foul trouble and adrio bailey is out with the flu 

tconey1

Not to nit pick but the only thing wrong about getting DG involved more was usually it was Thomas on the wing trying to pass to Big Dan.  His man was able to sag lower to make the pass harder.  If the passer is Barford or Dmac, their defender has to play closer to them and therefore cant help as much on Big Dan.

hawg1221

Gafford needs more looks in order to improve his game for the tournaments later on.

The_Iceman

Good to see that there was one coach last night that hadnt literally quit on his team and the season.

Dirty

When we do, you still will spew this shite.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 14, 2018, 08:44:22 am
He still plays Arlando Cook too much.
Good news is that he only has around 10 games at most to do that anymore.   ;D

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 13, 2018, 08:51:54 pm
You realize that people have been eaten alive on here for stuff like this. I mean hey, it's a good post but Mike is the next Bret or Hootie Nutt to half of these folks.
Bless you
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.