Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good Theory, or Bad?

Started by WilsonHog, July 27, 2006, 05:22:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

July 27, 2006, 05:22:18 pm Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 05:28:12 pm by WilsonHog
The obstacles that our program faces have been talked about numerous times. We hear that the calibre of high school football in Arkansas doesn't compare with that in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. We here that we're trying to establish a program in one of the toughest conferences in the country, one populated with teams with more tradition than we have. We hear that Fayetteville is hard to recruit to.

I don't agree with those assessments, but just for purposes of argument let's say that they're all 100% true.

Wouldn't it therefore make sense to go out and hire the most qualified, most confident, most skilled head coach around?     

SultanofSwine

Only makes sense in Baseball and Track ;)

LSUfan20

If Kirk Ferentz can convince recruits to go to Iowa City, Iowa over a Michigan or Ohio State, then the right head coach could certainly bring talent to Northwest Arkansas. They have no more tradition or historical appeal than Arkansas, and a certainly less attractive location. Tennessee has terrible high school football, so what do they do? They go to other states and get it. The resurgence of the UGA, South Carolina and Clemson programs has derailed their efforts in their main pipeline states, but that's beside the point. It just takes the right coach, like a Butch Davis.

SultanofSwine

Your smite count will rapidly rise now. Never use the name of THE BUTCH in an open forum, it scares the little people. ;)

LSUfan20

Quote from: SultanofSwine on July 27, 2006, 05:32:27 pm
Your smite count will rapidly rise now. Never use the name of THE BUTCH in an open forum, it scares the little people. ;)

Putting the out of state recruiting aside, what is the situation with Nutt's ability to keep the best Arkansas talent within state, besides the Springdale crew? Have there been any glaring examples of bigtime recruits that have gone elsewhere because of Nutt?

piggly wiggly

Yes, but how do you identify said coach?  Lou was skilled, how many Cotton Bowls did he coach?  Frank was skilled, yet only beat texass 5 of 19 times.  Danny Ford was skilled yet only had 1 winning season out of 5.  If you're implying we should hire Bob Stoops or someone like him and empty the bank vault then yes, I'm all for it.  At least we can go down swinging.

SultanofSwine

Defining what is and what is not a priority recruit obviously is open for speculation on forums such as these. IMO, any kids that is nationally recognized as a 4 or 5 star is a must get unless it is a gross overload at a certain position. There have been a few "bigtime" recruits who went elsewhere but to definitively say they left solely due to HDN I think is stretching it a little. Most notable would be Cedric Houston and Brett Smith.

The out of state recruiting appears to not be that different from the in-state recruiting. The kids that grow up wanting to be HOGS and have the talent usually are, the rest are assumed to want to be HOGS and not actively pursued in what we are finding out is many cases. TRG's recruit interviews have opened many eyes as to just how our recruiters operate and how they are percieved. It has become an increasingly glaring problem in many fans opinions, mine definitely included. I think it is worth noting when a 3 star recruit with barely a handful of offers says he doesn't know who is recruiting him. Not to mention the lack of consistent contact via text message or e-mail. Leadership starts with HDN and in many aspects it seems apparent that either the plan is faulty or non-existant.

nwarazfan

LSUfan:  Well, there is the E Arkansas pipeline to Tenn with its main line starting in Warren.  Tenn has taken the most.  Ole Miss gets a few players from Ark but not many that the Hogs really go after.  Your Tigers got a couple recently one of whom came back to Ark.

Bama paid top dollar for Harold James back during the Means time.  The Logan Young athletic center in Osceola is a proud representation of honest, ethical behavior and should be a great symbol to the kids there.

Deangelo Williams to Memfro.

Lately, if a kid chooses to leave the state like LT Walker(Lousiville) last year, mouthpieces for our program put out the word that they are lazy, fat a**** to protect Nutt.

LSUfan20

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 27, 2006, 05:55:35 pm
LSUfan:  Well, there is the E Arkansas pipeline to Tenn with its main line starting in Warren.  Tenn has taken the most.  Ole Miss gets a few players from Ark but not many that the Hogs really go after.  Your Tigers got a couple recently one of whom came back to Ark.

Bama paid top dollar for Harold James back during the Means time.  The Logan Young athletic center in Osceola is a proud representation of honest, ethical behavior and should be a great symbol to the kids there.

Lately, if a kid chooses to leave the state like LT Walker(Lousiville) last year, mouthpieces for our program put out the word that they are lazy, fat a**** to protect Nutt.

Yea, I remember Stoltz.  Didn't he return because of family health problems or something?  Needless to say, I heard he was like the first player LSU signed from the state of Arkansas in something like 20 yrs, so our fans really aren't familiar with the area. Is he projected to get any playing time this year? I know he got that DWI recently.

I didn't know DeAngelo Williams was from Arkansas.... but how highly recruited was if he wound up at Memphis?

WilsonHog

Quote from: LSUfan20 on July 27, 2006, 06:01:00 pm

Yea, I remember Stoltz.  Didn't he return because of family health problems or something?  Needless to say, I heard he was like the first player LSU signed from the state of Arkansas in something like 20 yrs, so our fans really aren't familiar with the area. Is he projected to get any playing time this year? I know he got that DWI recently.

I didn't know DeAngelo Williams was from Arkansas.... but how highly recruited was if he wound up at Memphis?

It came down between us and Memphis, and....well, you know the rest.

nwarazfan

July 27, 2006, 06:11:36 pm #10 Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:18:11 pm by nwarazfan

We went after DW but that's just one of those every once in awhile you can't figure out.  Tiger High is close to his hometown of Wynne and supposedly I think a girl was involved.  Still bitter to Hog fans as he signed "NO" on the letter of intent we sent him because he didn't announce till the end.

Stoltz and Brett Helm from Stuttgart signed with LSU.

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 06:04:29 pm

It came down between us and Memphis, and....well, you know the rest.

As far as Matt Stoltz the DWI was earlier this year and he's payed the price for his mistake.
I think he'll see a lot of playing time this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on July 27, 2006, 05:49:30 pm
Defining what is and what is not a priority recruit obviously is open for speculation on forums such as these. IMO, any kids that is nationally recognized as a 4 or 5 star is a must get unless it is a gross overload at a certain position. There have been a few "bigtime" recruits who went elsewhere but to definitively say they left solely due to HDN I think is stretching it a little. Most notable would be Cedric Houston and Brett Smith.

The out of state recruiting appears to not be that different from the in-state recruiting. The kids that grow up wanting to be HOGS and have the talent usually are, the rest are assumed to want to be HOGS and not actively pursued in what we are finding out is many cases. TRG's recruit interviews have opened many eyes as to just how our recruiters operate and how they are percieved. It has become an increasingly glaring problem in many fans opinions, mine definitely included. I think it is worth noting when a 3 star recruit with barely a handful of offers says he doesn't know who is recruiting him. Not to mention the lack of consistent contact via text message or e-mail. Leadership starts with HDN and in many aspects it seems apparent that either the plan is faulty or non-existant.

I wish you hadn't mentioned Bret Smith. I still can't stand the sight of Bo Hembree to
this day!

Sao Ming

A good head coach goes into those states you listed, Wilson, and wins...year in, year out.

Playing TCU in Texas won't get it done - a good head coach goes after ATM, Texas and TT as annual OOC's.  Then, go out and kick the azz's of those left on the sched.  Then and only then can anyone expect to see us put fear into the hearts of the SEC.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:18:03 pm

I wish you hadn't mentioned Bret Smith. I still can't stand the sight of Bo Hembree to
this day!

Guv, let me pose a scenario and get your thoughts on it.

Let's say your son is a high school player in the state of Arkansas. He wants to be a Razorback. His high school coach wants him to be a Razorback. His friends and teammates want him to be a Razorback.

One of the best friends of your son's high school coach knows one of the Razorback assistant football coaches very well, and the friend contacts that assistant coach several times about the Hogs offering your son a scholarship. Each time the assistant coach tells the friend the same thing: your son is too slow to play SEC football.

A couple of weeks before signing date your son gets the one call from the UA recruiting coordinator that he's been hoping and dreaming of: the Razorbacks have a scholarship for him! Can you imagine how excited your son is?

Wait...what's that? Your son's high school coach calls to tell you that he just personally spoke with another Razorback assistant, the one who his friend has been talking to all along. Turns out that the Razorbacks don't have a scholarship for your son after all, but they're telling him they do because they want him to ultimately walk on after it's too late for him to get a scholarship somewhere else.

So Guv. How would you feel about the Razorback football staff, with the exception of that one assistant coach who shot your son straight?     

TOM "tbw1"

Until we are willing to quit making excuses and spend the money to recruit, we will be behind the powers of the SEC.

Right now our recruiting goals as well as program goals seem to be:

1.  Stay ahead of Ole Miss, Miss. St., Vandy and Kentucky
2.  Win 8 or 9 games which is the equivalent of winning 6 and 7 before the 12th game.
3.  Go to  Shreveport or Dallas for a bowl game
4.  Have a nice guy as head coach
5.  Hope that every 45 years or so an Arkansas kid who wants to play quarterback is of national quality
(Billy Moore, our only All American quarterback graduated after the 62 season.)

There is nothing wrong with wanting excellence in the program.  Why are we happy with the situation as it is now?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 06:29:18 pm

this day!

Let's say your son is a high school player in the state of Arkansas. He wants to be a Razorback. His high school coach wants him to be a Razorback. His friends and teammates want him to be a Razorback.

One of the best friends of your son's high school coach knows one of the Razorback assistant football coaches very well, and the friend contacts that assistant coach several times about the Hogs offering your son a scholarship. Each time the assistant coach tells the friend the same thing: your son is too slow to play SEC football.

A couple of weeks before signing date your son gets the one call from the UA recruiting coordinator that he's been hoping and dreaming of: the Razorbacks have a scholarship for him! Can you imagine how excited your son is?

Wait...what's that? Your son's high school coach calls to tell you that he just personally spoke with another Razorback assistant, the one who his friend has been talking to all along. Turns out that the Razorbacks don't have a scholarship for your son after all, but they're telling him they do because they want him to ultimately walk on after it's too late for him to get a scholarship somewhere else.

So Guv. How would you feel about the Razorback football staff, with the exception of that one assistant coach who shot your son straight?     

I wouldn't like it, but what does that have to do with Bret Smith? He was offered from the git-go. Bo Hembree intentionally push him away from the Hogs to The Vols. If I were a Warren
board member, he wouldn't have had a job in Warren the next year.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:36:39 pm

this day!

I wouldn't like it, but what does that have to do with Bret Smith? He was offered from the git-go. Bo Hembree intentionally push him away from the Hogs to The Vols. If I were a Warren

You wouldn't like it if that was your son. Okay.

Would you like it any more if instead of that being your son it was a friend of yours, say your high school teammate?

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 06:41:24 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:36:39 pm

this day!

You wouldn't like it if that was your son. Okay.

Would you like it any more if instead of that being your son it was a friend of yours, say your high school teammate?

Wilson, who are you talking about?

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:42:41 pm

I'm talking about the recruitment of a high school player and the subsequent effect that recruitment had on other players from that same school.

Again, if that player was your friend, your teammate, how would you feel about how he was treated?

ClubChubby

Maybe warrens' AD said bo would steer recruits to tennessee for two years.
That makes it ok, huh Guv?

TOM "tbw1"

I think it speaks volumes that Malzahn was hired not only for his offensive genius but to start rebuilding trust with ARKANSAS high school coaches.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 06:45:20 pm

I'm talking about the recruitment of a high school player and the subsequent effect that recruitment had on other players from that same school.

Again, if that player was your friend, your teammate, how would you feel about how he was treated?

I wouldn't let it interfear with my choice of colleges because what happen to my teamate is his business. I would worry about whats best for me.

WilsonHog

Quote from: tbw1 on July 27, 2006, 06:48:18 pm
I think it speaks volumes that Malzahn was hired not only for his offensive genius but to start rebuilding trust with ARKANSAS high school coaches.

I could bring up a conversation that I had in my office with an Iowa assistant coach about Herb Grigsby, but I'll wait until the Guv is finished discussing the Warren situation. 

TOM "tbw1"

Guv,

Why then do you attack the Warren kids for going to Tennessee?  Or their coach?  Could it be that they felt it would be best for them to play for a nationally ranked program.

WilsonHog

July 27, 2006, 06:51:38 pm #25 Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:54:14 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:48:54 pm

I wouldn't let it interfear with my choice of colleges because what happen to my teamate is his business. I would worry about whats best for me.

Would you be concerned about how trustworthy the coaches were, given how they treated your friend?

SultanofSwine

Wilson, that whole deal screwed the pooch along with a couple others that were handled similarly. I guess that may be part of the reason they just don't stay in contact anymore, it's inevitably safer although just as productive.

GuvHog

Quote from: ClubChubby on July 27, 2006, 06:46:58 pm

No, If the AD knew Hembre was doing it and allowed it to happen he be gone too. As a High School coach you never steer you players out of state unless the home state school isn't
recruiting them.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:53:48 pm
Quote from: ClubChubby on July 27, 2006, 06:46:58 pm

No, If the AD knew Hembre was doing it and allowed it to happen he be gone too. As a High School coach you never steer you players out of state unless the home state school isn't
recruiting them.

Club, I'm trusting you to handle this one. I've got my hands full with the Warren deal.

GuvHog

Quote from: tbw1 on July 27, 2006, 06:50:27 pm
Guv,

Why then do you attack the Warren kids for going to Tennessee?  Or their coach?  Could it be that they felt it would be best for them to play for a nationally ranked program.

I'm not attacking the kids, I'm attacking Bo Hembree for intentionally interfearing with his players recruiting and pushing them out of state.

SultanofSwine

BS GUV, if the HC is worth the time of day he will steer his kids to the program that gives them the greatest opportunity to succeed.

For example, Deangelo, Cedric Houston and D, Howard...DW ended up in a great spot for him and a system that highlighted his abilities. CH and DH ended up at exactly the opposite schools they should have based on their running styles. Both of those guys imo would have had much better careers in the other's system. They weren't steered where they should have been.

WilsonHog

Guuuuuvvvvv.....answer the question....... 

TOM "tbw1"

According to Guv's standards, then every out of state recruit we have signed was not recruited by the home state university.  Therefore we cannot recruit the SEC unless the athlete is not recruited by Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina or Kentucky.

WilsonHog

Quote from: tbw1 on July 27, 2006, 06:58:50 pm
According to Guv's standards, then every out of state recruit we have signed was not recruited by the home state university.  Therefore we cannot recruit the SEC unless the athlete is not recruited by Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina or Kentucky.

First time I've ever seen a man get himself backed into two corners at once.

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 06:50:07 pm

I could bring up a conversation that I had in my office with an Iowa assistant coach about Herb Grigsby, but I'll wait until the Guv is finished discussing the Warren situation. 

The assistant coach that pulled that stunt with Herb Grigsby was fired because of it, end of
story.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 07:00:33 pm

The assistant coach that pulled that stunt with Herb Grigsby was fired because of it, end of
story.

Was the head coach whose job it was to oversee the assistant coach's activities fired?

SultanofSwine

Why do you think it has been impossible for Nutt to land a pro-style QB worth a flip? No HS HC was ever going to encourage their stud recruit to pursue playing for a team that has an offense designed to hinder the QB.

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 07:01:46 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 07:00:33 pm

story.

Was the head coach whose job it was to oversee the assistant coach's activities fired?

No, the head coach acted correctly in firing the guilty assistant.

GuvHog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on July 27, 2006, 06:58:24 pm
BS GUV, if the HC is worth the time of day he will steer his kids to the program that gives them the greatest opportunity to succeed.

For example, Deangelo, Cedric Houston and D, Howard...DW ended up in a great spot for him and a system that highlighted his abilities. CH and DH ended up at exactly the opposite schools they should have based on their running styles. Both of those guys imo would have had much better careers in the other's system. They weren't steered where they should have been.

I suggest that you talk to Ken Turner, former Arkansas High School football HC and former Hog
assistant under Holtz and Frank. He will tell you just the oposite.

VoR

July 27, 2006, 07:58:20 pm #39 Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:01:17 pm by the_birdman
Sorry I got in this late, correct me if I am wrong Guv, but a HS HC is suppose to steer a kid towards U of A, or for that matter ASU, or UCA even if it's not in the best interest of said kid. I know you didn't put the ASU and UCA part in there, but since we're talking state schools here. You did say that the HS coach is suppose to put the best interest of U of A over the best interest of his ward, am I correct?
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:57:41 pm
Guv,

I'm not attacking the kids, I'm attacking Bo Hembree for intentionally interfearing with his players recruiting and pushing them out of state.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

VoR

July 27, 2006, 07:59:04 pm #40 Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:00:45 pm by the_birdman
nm
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

GuvHog

Quote from: the_birdman on July 27, 2006, 07:58:20 pm
Sorry I got in this late, correct me if I am wrong Guv, but a HS HC is suppose to steer a kid towards U of A, or for that matter ASU, or UCA even if it's not in the best interest of said kid. I know you didn't put the ASU and UCA part in there, but since we're talking state schools here. You did say that the HS coach is suppose to put the best interest of U of A over the best interest of his ward, am I correct?
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 06:57:41 pm
Guv,

No, The coach should refrain from offering any advice as to which College the
player should attend. That is the players and his familys Business.

TOM "tbw1"

That is a novel theory, GUV.  I am certainly glad that most coaches and their families disregard it.  I don't know what your experience is with high school athletics but most players and their families have a special relationship with their coach.  By your theory all high school students who consult with their counselors before attending college are wrong.  Many caring teachers and coaches help steer their charges to the schools that will best meet their needs.  They are not knee jerk robots.

WilsonHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 06:51:38 pm
Would you be concerned about how trustworthy the coaches were, given how they treated your friend?

Guv, your silence on this question is speaking volumes.

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 08:25:49 pm

No, how they treated my teammate is his business I have to attend to my own.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 08:38:16 pm

So I take it then that if you were thinking about going to a certain hospital and HDN told you not to because a doctor on staff there had lied to him, that wouldn't affect your decision at all, would it?   

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 08:42:12 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 27, 2006, 08:38:16 pm

So I take it then that if you were thinking about going to a certain hospital and HDN told you not to because a doctor on staff there had lied to him, that wouldn't affect your decision at all, would it?   

No, not really

FLKeysGuy

"Before cliffdiving, one should know how to swim." 

Oklahawg

The first rule of being in a hole is to quit digging.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

GuvHog

Quote from: KEYS on July 27, 2006, 08:46:19 pm
"Before cliffdiving, one should know how to swim." 

I think I know what point he's making, I just want to let him make it.