Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update on DT Will Blackwell of West Monroe La.

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 26, 2006, 06:20:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogKong

SultanofSwine

Can we post this on the MMQB? the Broyles Compound front door? someone call RR this afternoon and ask about it? etc., etc.

It is way past time for this crap to come to a screechin ass hault. >:(

Swino

Good golly miss molly. 

We ignore a top prospect and then go after "diamonds in the rough"????  Incompetence has a new poster child.

Hawgzilla

Quote from: Tomcat on July 27, 2006, 08:41:14 am
Too bad Gus can't recruit them all.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot (that's already been shot about 20 times).  A stupid is a stupid does...

Poor Ole Gus is gonna be wore out,we have to put him on every recruit while the Mafia sits around and plays pickup basketball games together.......Gus will look like an Ethiopian child at SC kickoff........... :-\

Pig Power

Sounds like Gus is the only one on staff really getting after good recruits. He busts his a$$. Butch prolly told him not to let Dale leave the cupboard empty for his arrival in 2007.

jabohog

I know you guys get tired of hearing this, but we are so worked up because we are trying to re-define the Head Coaches job discription. Used to be that losing wasn't tolerated and was dealt with by termintation. That's not the case anymore. The Head Coaches' job now it to put butts in the seats and this coach is doing just that. This new job discription has fostered a "high on the hog" attitude. I believe coach Nutt want's to win, I just don't think the so called "eye of the tiger" is there anymore because the money rolling in has caused complacency. 

I can hear it now, Yeah, I want to win, but do you know how hard I will have to work to win like they do at say, LSU? Do you understand what it is like to go up against 15 other schools for a recruit that we probably won't get anyway. Too much time away from the family for that. Besides, we have a good team this year and 2007 should be even better. These kids that are being recruited by the weaker conferences are much easier to deal with, and less time consuming. We can coach them up. Our state high school kids are getting more and better so we can always count on them.

If TRG had one interview with a kid like this, we could ponder there being some problem with the kid. History and several interviews have shown a pattern of this. You can even read it in Otis' last few articles when he writes about 1 and 2 star athletes or mentions a chance visit by one we don't have a shot at. (I'm not knocking Otis.)
Two losing seasons, 64000 average attendance, donations at the highest. That's fullfilling the new job discription. I know Gus had a lot to do with this, but some things will never change, until some things change.

press ham

hey trg, why are we not on this kid? is it off-field problems, grades, attitude? it sound like he may be interested is visiting us and we are not even talking to him.  >:(

hogtusk

I've heard (just rumors) that he will go to Junior College. But we still got to stay on these guys if there is a chance.
Quote from: press ham on July 27, 2006, 10:24:18 am
hey trg, why are we not on this kid? is it off-field problems, grades, attitude? it sound like he may be interested is visiting us and we are not even talking to him.  >:(
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

The_Bionic_Pig

Its down to Notre Dame & LSU and he didn't bother to attend LSU CAMP.  He can't wait to get to the Notre Dame campus either.  I would say he is Charlie Weiss to lose at this point.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Jim Harris

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on July 27, 2006, 11:34:03 am
Its down to Notre Dame & LSU and he didn't bother to attend LSU CAMP.  He can't wait to get to the Notre Dame campus either.  I would say he is Charlie Weiss to lose at this point.

So, can we assume that Arkansas knows this and thinks it has other fish to fry at this point, or that they've exceeded their text-messaging limit on players they feel aren't coming here?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: drakehog on July 27, 2006, 12:03:58 pm

So, can we assume that Arkansas knows this and thinks it has other fish to fry at this point, or that they've exceeded their text-messaging limit on players they feel aren't coming here?

Exactamundo....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PulledPork

Quote from: The Pulse on July 26, 2006, 10:51:03 pm
Quote from: russellclaude on July 26, 2006, 10:47:09 pm
yeah- we're doing terrible in LA... London Crawford.

London Crawford is from Mobile, Alabama
russellclaude?  <crickets>

Pulled out...

hog caller

there must be more going on on the hill than we realize. because this kid got it right the first time. good grief why would we want him anyway all his hype is probably just what that is and he probably can't pass thae sat or have the grades to come to the hill . what aare your thought on this one.

The_Bionic_Pig

Blackwell carries a 3.5 grade point average according to a Irish article last 4/12/06
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawgballz

I doubt if Will Blackwell is the first 17 year old kid, who is pretty much a lock for for either 1 or 2 schools, to show interest in others in an attempt to get some free visits around the country.  I wish I had the talent back in high school to have gotton such treatment.  I have not seen anything that leads me to believe that this kid ever considered Arkansas as a option.  Stewie I am sure you know this better than I, but is there a limit to the number of official visits a school can offer?  I remember there being one, I just can't remember the number.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

HatfieldHog

Quote from: The Recruiting Guy on July 27, 2006, 07:20:09 am
Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 26, 2006, 11:08:51 pm
I may get in trouble for doing this, but here goes:  I can't really believe that this kid actually said that last sentence.  That sounds totally too much like one of us on this board, and not a High School kid.

Can TRG drop another post and verify that this kid actually said that?

See ya

That's exactly what Will said. I asked him if I could quote him on that and he said yes and that he didn't care. I would never post something like that without asking the recruit if it was ok to do so.

TRG, please don't misunderstand me. I'm not questioning your integrity, it just blows me away that the kid would be that observative of the way that he was being recruited, but it looks like he was.  Now, what do we do with this information?  This being true, and I'm taking your word that it is, surely the "powers that be" are looking into this.  I am also sure that, we the fans, will never hear about it, but I bet that this kid has been text messaged today!

I just wonder how large that this news will become?

Thanks TRG, keep up the good work.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

piggly wiggly

Div-1 schools can only give 56 official visits/year.

RazorWire

Will: I got a few letters. Don't know what's going on. It's their loss. Maybe they need another recruiting coordinator.

press ham

Quote from: RazorWire on July 27, 2006, 02:48:02 pm
Will: I got a few letters. Don't know what's going on. It's their loss. Maybe they need another recruiting coordinator.
who is the recruiting coor.? hdn?

pseudorabies

Jim Harris

Quote from: fool_on_the_hill on July 26, 2006, 09:34:55 pm
upon further reflection i realized we are only getting one side of the
story , coaches cannot defend themselves here, nor can they talk about a
recruit,

maybe there was something they didnt like about the young man

all i can say to the coaches is  attitudes can also be diamonds in the rough

Here's what they didn't like: They're going up against Notre Dame and LSU, plus Alabama and Tennessee. They have given up. There is little fight left in Nutt for any real out-of-state recruiting battles. We're late to the party on most, and when we found out who's at the party, we slip out the backdoor before anybody notices.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

bigred7987

QuoteVaughn will not be able to do any off campus recruiting
I thought he was Recruiting Coordinator just didn't do recruiting himself.  Or is director of on-campus recruiting and is that different?

WilsonHog

Quote from: drakehog on July 27, 2006, 04:23:16 pm
recruit,

Here's what they didn't like: They're going up against Notre Dame and LSU, plus Alabama and Tennessee. They have given up. There is little fight left in Nutt for any real out-of-state recruiting battles. We're late to the party on most, and when we found out who's at the party, we slip out the backdoor before anybody notices.

Here's an interesting question to ponder. Would Mitch Mustain be a Hog today if he were from any state other than Arkansas?

Boared

PorkCheops

I may be wrong on this, but it seems to me that when Wood was hired, he was named recruiting coordinator.
"The problem is not only to win souls but to save minds. If you win the whole world and lose the mind of the world, you will soon discover that you have not won the world. Indeed it may turn out that you have actually lost the world."  Charles Malik

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 27, 2006, 04:33:51 pm
Quote from: drakehog on July 27, 2006, 04:23:16 pm
recruit,

Here's an interesting question to ponder. Would Mitch Mustain be a Hog today if he were from any state other than Arkansas?

hell no, and he ended up barely being a Hog, thanks to them hiring Gus.

Jim Harris

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 27, 2006, 04:30:32 pm
QuoteVaughn will not be able to do any off campus recruiting
I thought he was Recruiting Coordinator just didn't do recruiting himself.  Or is director of on-campus recruiting and is that different?

the recruiting coordinator must also be one of the eight full-time on-field coaches.

Dyerhog

I love the micro-managing done by this board, none of us really know the whole story right now, yet a lynch mob is being formed on the words of a 17 year old who may be a great football player, but sounds to be full of himself and very likely a smart-ass.  While I am at it, I appreciate the info from the recruiting guy, but it seems he takes a certain amount of delight in reporting that only Malzahn is doing any recruiting or that we aren't text messaging enough or calling enough or whatever--because that is what the vast majority seem to respond to.  Yes, I know that most, if not all, want the best recruits to be Hogs--but it seems that a great many also want something to slam Nutt and the so-called Murray Mafia over. Just the way I see it..

SonOfMud

Quote from: Dyerhog on July 27, 2006, 05:02:11 pm
I appreciate the info from the recruiting guy, but it seems he takes a certain amount of delight in reporting that only Malzahn is doing any recruiting or that we aren't text messaging enough or calling enough or whatever.

You are going to slam TRG?  He only posts what he is told.  Do you want him to pull a Otis Kirk and twist the facts?  Maybe since there is someone like TRG reporting the facts, the coaching and their recruiting errors will become apparent and then the problems will get fixed.  Why fix your problems if no one knows about them?  I for one appreciate his unbiased approach to recruiting news.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Jim Harris

Quote from: SonOfMud on July 27, 2006, 05:08:50 pm
I appreciate the info from the recruiting guy, but it seems he takes a certain amount of delight in reporting that only Malzahn is doing any recruiting or that we aren't text messaging enough or calling enough or whatever.

You are going to slam TRG?  He only posts what he is told.  Do you want him to pull a Otis Kirk and twist the facts?  Maybe since there is someone like TRG reporting the facts, the coaching and their recruiting errors will become apparent and then the problems will get fixed.  Why fix your problems if no one knows about them?  I for one appreciate his unbiased approach to recruiting news.

Otis hasn't twisted the facts on this guy. He says Blackwell is on our list but we're not going to get him. It's a Notre Dame-LSU game there. Maybe we're not up for playing with the big boys in this deal, but we're not going to get him. We (the UA coaches) apparently know that, even if the kid told TRG that he's open; 17 year old recruits love to have their butts kissed regular, I know that.

piggly wiggly

It APPEARS to me that we were never really in it for this kid but he wants his butt kissed by everyone.  I mean I've read recruiting for 25 years and don't recall anyone every saying:  "It's their loss." 

PulledPork

I love the micro-managing done by this board, none of us really know the whole story right now, yet a lynch mob is being formed on the words of a 17 year old who may be a great football player, but sounds to be full of himself and very likely a smart-ass.  While I am at it, I appreciate the info from the recruiting guy, but it seems he takes a certain amount of delight in reporting that only Malzahn is doing any recruiting or that we aren't text messaging enough or calling enough or whatever--because that is what the vast majority seem to respond to.  Yes, I know that most, if not all, want the best recruits to be Hogs--but it seems that a great many also want something to slam Nutt and the so-called Murray Mafia over. Just the way I see it..
you sound like a true "Pumper!"

Pulled out...

GO_HOGS!

Hog fan for life

SonOfMud

Quote from: drakehog on July 27, 2006, 05:19:43 pm
Quote from: SonOfMud on July 27, 2006, 05:08:50 pm

Otis hasn't twisted the facts on this guy. He says Blackwell is on our list but we're not going to get him. It's a Notre Dame-LSU game there. Maybe we're not up for playing with the big boys in this deal, but we're not going to get him. We (the UA coaches) apparently know that, even if the kid told TRG that he's open; 17 year old recruits love to have their butts kissed regular, I know that.
I wasn't talking about Otis and the facts on this guy.  I am talking about Otis and his ability to tell the facts on recruits in general.  I prefer TRG's approach to recruiting coverage.  The honest truth is better then Otis's brand of truth.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

jabohog

Otis did mention that the staff was late on a CC recruit in his article today. I was surprised.

FtheDarksiders

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on July 27, 2006, 12:22:01 pm

Exactamundo....

That was my thinking when reading this....if we know a kid is gone, why keep recruiting him??  Use our resources on another player.  The boys on the hill know a little more about this and the situation than we do.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: FtheDarksiders on July 28, 2006, 11:46:11 am

Exactamundo....

That was my thinking when reading this....if we know a kid is gone, why keep recruiting him??  Use our resources on another player.  The boys on the hill know a little more about this and the situation than we do.

I looked at your user name and that pretty much explained to me why you had very little understanding of what actually happened. 

Let me break it down for you.

1.  He was WIDE OPEN, ie he was interested in Arkansas.  He told TRG this.  He told TRG he was more than willing to take Arkansas into consideration.

2.  HDN went down and saw him, and talked with him.

3.  U of A learns we are competing with LSU, Auburn and others for this kid.

4.  Kid never hears back from us. 

5.  Arkansas is eliminated from schools he is interested in BECAUSE OF LACK OF CONTACT.

There ya go, hope that clears it up for you.  Sorry for the confusion.

jb11

It could be we stopped recruiting this kid because HDN did not like the kid's attitude (his attitude from what we can tell from his interview).  TRG can only give us the facts that he hears from the recruit.  So there is always the rest of the story that goes unheard.

PulledPork

Quote from: diehardfan on July 28, 2006, 02:30:58 pm

It could be we stopped recruiting this kid because HDN did not like the kid's attitude (his attitude from what we can tell from his interview).  TRG can only give us the facts that he hears from the recruit.  So there is always the rest of the story that goes unheard.
but you are assuming this is an isolated incident.....Nuttboi is famous for this crap!!

Pulled out...

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: diehardfan on July 28, 2006, 02:30:58 pm

That explanation works partially.  If we didn't like him, why send a couple of letters?  The kid admitted he did recieve a few letters.  It appears we wanted him, we just were not serious about it.

piglett06

Are we talking about a coach that has a inferiority complex?  Sure sounds like that be the case.

thahawg

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 28, 2006, 01:02:05 pm

Exactamundo....

I looked at your user name and that pretty much explained to me why you had very little understanding of what actually happened. 

1.  He was WIDE OPEN, ie he was interested in Arkansas.  He told TRG this.  He told TRG he was more than willing to take Arkansas into consideration.

3.  U of A learns we are competing with LSU, Auburn and others for this kid.

5.  Arkansas is eliminated from schools he is interested in BECAUSE OF LACK OF CONTACT.

Arkie ran away from compition on this one.

Hawgballz

July 28, 2006, 09:41:54 pm #95 Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:44:06 pm by HawgBall06
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 28, 2006, 01:02:05 pm

Exactamundo....

1.  He (feeds us a line of shite in order to get a free trip) was WIDE OPEN, ie he was interested in Arkansas.  He told TRG this.  He told TRG he was more than willing to take Arkansas into consideration.

2.  HDN (and GM) went down and saw him, and talked with him.

3.  U of A learns (that he is a near lock for either) we are competing with LSU, Auburn and others for this kid.

4.  Kid never hears back from us.  (We decide to spend our time/assets elsewhere)

Hope that helps you understand. ;)
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

whatsshakinbacon

not good, not surprising, and not good.

Bacon out...

Kevin

didn't hdn create two in office recruiting positions to keep his cronies around.  what are they doing?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Kevin on August 03, 2006, 03:55:39 pm
didn't hdn create two in office recruiting positions to keep his cronies around.  what are they doing?

Last I heard one was in charge of putting glue in Malzahn's chair and the other putting tacks in Woods'.

Bacon out...