Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is so wrong about a Positive thread?

Started by williamsB, July 26, 2006, 10:35:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

williamsB

What makes some people so sad and bitter in their lives that they can not stand to allow people to have fun talking about the upcoming team, season and recruiting class?

I know they feel superior and must correct the silly small minded people that enjoy feeling that we can be good because we have corrected many things that led us to fail in the past.

I was just wondering why they can not let a positive post alone, why they feel they have to put down somebody in every post. Do they feel they are smarter than everyone around them at work and family, like they do here?

Just thinking out loud.

aristotle

I think our recent history has a lot to do with that. We have been set up to be great many times and not come through under Houston's tenure. It's painful for dedicated fans to get their hopes up for a team or season, then have them smashed. But there is not one fan who won't be cheering the Hogs come game time.

Pork Twain

You're dumb...  J/K but there goes your Karma.  I think there are a lot of reasons to feel great about this season.  We will just have to wait and see.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Richard_white

Dear Dale

I am a Hog fan and was wondering if there was any chance you'll be leaving next year?  I will help with the uhaul bill.

Thanks, Richard White

T-Bag Hawg

I am a Hog fan, but I do get very angry about how things have transpired the past two yrs.  I like a positive thread, as long as there are shards of realism in it, and not smoke up my arse.
It's a pill, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!  You just don't get it!

hogsanity

Quote from: aristotle on July 26, 2006, 10:39:00 am
I think our recent history has a lot to do with that. We have been set up to be great many times and not come through under Houston's tenure. It's painful for dedicated fans to get their hopes up for a team or season, then have them smashed. But there is not one fan who won't be cheering the Hogs come game time.

That is what fans do.  Look at Redsox fans.  86 years without a title.  Or Cub fans.  Or Steeler fans, they won 4 then went over 2 decades without one.  How many NC's does Notre Dame have in the last 20 years?  Fans get crushed many more times than not.

When have we TRULY been set up for greatness under HDN?  N one saw 98 coming.  2003?  With a Wr at Qb and a defense that was a sieve?  Yes, we beat TX at Austin, and we came back from the dead to beat a BAD Bama team.  What no  one wanted to see out of the Bama game was how bad our D really was.  No way we should have even given up 21 to them, much less been behind by that many. 

The one thing somone else brought up yesterday is how often we are told here how bad a recruiter HDN is.  If that is so, how could we ever have been set up to win anything.

As for positive threads, I will leave that to your own judgment.  Suffice it to say, imo, some of the mods and other posters do not want anyone to disagree with them, and they hijack any thread that does so. 

Just keep RESPECTFULLY posting your thoughts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

July 26, 2006, 10:48:58 am #6 Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:53:16 am by Superhog1975
Man I totally agree with what you just said and our karma reflects that.

It really frustrates me that you cannot say anything positive about our football team without being called a hugger.  I am not a freakin' hugger.  I just want what is best for our team.  Sometimes improvement can come without a total makeover.  That is what I am hoping for with us finally having a real OC on the Hill.  I am hoping that starting this year HDN will just manage the game and allow RH and GM to call the plays.  If that happens we will be great.  If that does not happen Nutt should be gone.  I think behind every great HC there are a great OC and DC combo.  We have never had that here but now we have a chance.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

williamsB

Richard_white

Quote from: williamsB on July 26, 2006, 10:50:04 am
thanks Mr. white, for proving my point :)

Your welcome WilliamB.  The fact is, everyone has the right to express their opinions.  Whether it's karma or smite.  The reason why I came on to hogville is to talk about Razorback sports.  If you agree with me or not, I don't care.  I don't try to be famous or say what everyone wants me to say but what I feel. 

Pork Twain

I understand all of that but it would be great if every positive post didn't get derailed by negeativity and darksiders.  It is possible to be a positive without kissing nutt's ass or just thinking he is the world's greatest coach.

Macgyver Hawg

I really don't understand after ending the way we did in 2002, the 0 for October in 2003, and the last two seasons why you all are surprised that posters aren't happier and more positive.

Does it get old?  Extremely.  But if you are a Razorback fan you should be mad right now until we hit the field and prove something.  If you aren't mad then I doubt you follow college football and are probably more of a casual fan.

If we were losing every game 70-17 that might be one thing.  But after so many "moral victories" it's time Arkansas starts beating good teams and making their fans mad.  We've been capable.  Maybe that's a victory in itself for some of you.

LZH

Quote from: T-Bag Hawg on July 26, 2006, 10:46:52 am
I am a Hog fan, but I do get very angry about how things have transpired the past two yrs.  I like a positive thread, as long as there are shards of realism in it, and not smoke up my arse.

Amen, Brother, amen.

Being positive is great.  If we play USC close then maybe I'll come back out of the closet.  Until then, I'm semi-holding my tongue.

I'll have to admit, though, we'd probably be hearing "great things are coming" from just about any coach.

Richard_white

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 26, 2006, 11:02:38 am
I understand all of that but it would be great if every positive post didn't get derailed by negeativity and darksiders.  It is possible to be a positive without kissing nutt's ass.

Are you talking about like that thread about Hog fans wanting Butch Davis?  Dale suporters post negative things about Coach Davis and why that don't feel like he is a good coach.  Like your comment, I think Coach Davis is like coach Ford.  See it applies to all of us.  Just expressing your opinions is all.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: LEDZEPHOG on July 26, 2006, 11:04:01 am

Amen, Brother, amen.

Being positive is great.  If we play USC close then maybe I'll come back out of the closet.  Until then, I'm semi-holding my tongue.

I'll have to admit, though, we'd probably be hearing "great things are coming" from just about any coach.

Errrrrrr, maybe you should stay in the closet.    (Just Kidding)
Winning will cure a bunch of ills, at least maybe some of the complaining going on here.

hogsanity

Quote from: Richard_white on July 26, 2006, 11:07:04 am
I understand all of that but it would be great if every positive post didn't get derailed by negeativity and darksiders.  It is possible to be a positive without kissing nutt's ass.

Are you talking about like that thread about Hog fans wanting Butch Davis?  Dale suporters post negative things about Coach Davis and why that don't feel like he is a good coach.  Like your comment, I think Coach Davis is like coach Ford.  See it applies to all of us.  Just expressing your opinions is all.

Expressing your opinion is fine.  It is just that the darksiders, although it hate the labels on both sides, can not do so without insults, name calling, and personal attacks.  I know some of the "pumpers" do that too, but not at the level it comes from on the other side. 

Post your opinion, if you dont agree with me, fine, but dont call me an idiot or loser or moron or worse. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 26, 2006, 10:48:58 am
It really frustrates me that you cannot say anything positive about our football team without being called a hugger. 

It is equally frustrating to be dismissed as an irrationally negative darksider simply by expressing serious concerns about a head coach who has rewarded our emotional and financial investments with back-to-back losing seasons.

Pork Twain

Point taken.  I have nothing about Butch and do not trash him every time his name comes up.  I am just afraid that he will end up being the next Ford.  I would prefer he was the next JJ but who knows.  Check out what I said in the Butch Davis post.  I don't hate on everything like some insist on doing with our current coaches.

LZH

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 26, 2006, 11:08:50 am
Quote from: LEDZEPHOG on July 26, 2006, 11:04:01 am

Amen, Brother, amen.

Errrrrrr, maybe you should stay in the closet.    (Just Kidding)
Winning will cure a bunch of ills, at least maybe some of the complaining going on here.

Right.  You know, I have really and truly never been much of a whiner.  I'm just getting tired of the SOS.  I don't expect a damn national championship every year, but a whiff of BCS every now and then would certainly shut me up.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Pork Twain

Quote from: KEYS on July 26, 2006, 11:11:33 am
It really frustrates me that you cannot say anything positive about our football team without being called a hugger. 

It is equally frustrating to be dismissed as an irrationally negative darksider simply by expressing serious concerns about a head coach who has rewarded our emotional and financial investments with back-to-back losing seasons.

I try not to label everyone that says something negative about the coaches as a darksider.  Ugly & Wilson speak their minds but I would not consider either of them a Darksider.  Swino spews forth hate for HDN everytime he posts.  There is a big difference there.  There is nothing wrong with being objective.  The constant complaining is doing nothing for our program and can ONLY hurt with recruits that come to our board.

justwin

July 26, 2006, 11:17:15 am #20 Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:24:12 am by justwin
I think you have to put much of the blame on the athletic department.  When people feel their complaints and concerns are not being taken seriously there is a tendency to take matters into their own hands.  I believe the negativity is being used to try to change things and make the athletic department more accountable to the fans.

Swino

The total lack of accountability from the University and the media is what makes it so frustrating.  They will pee on your leg and tell you its raining. 

That being said, I'm very excited about this season.  Big things WILL happen, whether they are good or bad remains to be seen.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Swino on July 26, 2006, 11:18:02 am
The total lack of accountability from the University and the media is what makes it so frustrating.  They will pee on your leg and tell you its raining. 

That being said, I'm very excited about this season.  Big things WILL happen, whether they are good or bad remains to be seen.
Damnit you are just trying to prove me wrong....   hehehe   

Conway Cool Daddy

Look at it this way.
The complaints and whining are better than apathy.
We're coming off of back to back losing seasons. At least people still care enough to bitch.
Don't take this stuff so personal.

Richard_white

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2006, 11:10:50 am

Expressing your opinion is fine.  It is just that the darksiders, although it hate the labels on both sides, can not do so without insults, name calling, and personal attacks.  I know some of the "pumpers" do that too, but not at the level it comes from on the other side. 

Post your opinion, if you dont agree with me, fine, but dont call me an idiot or loser or moron or worse. 

Hogsanity, in almost 2500 of my post I have never called anyone a name.  Unless your saying hugger or darksider is name calling, than I am guilty.  But calling somoene a moron or an idiot, none.

williamsB

my view is this

We have a lot to be excited about, so why be so full of hate that you feel it is your duty to keep people from feeling good because;

1. We should be good

2. If not, things will chnage on the Hill.

So what drives a person to jump in a positive thread and tell nice people they are koolaid drinkers because they don't say "We should fail because we failed the last two years"

Nutt said we would be bad the last two years and was right.
He is now saying we will be good. It is his job on the line.

But positive thinking does not equate with being stupid.

Pork Twain

Quote from: williamsB on July 26, 2006, 11:27:12 am
my view is this

We have a lot to be excited about, so why be so full of hate that you feel it is your duty to keep people from feeling good because;

1. We should be good

So what drives a person to jump in a positive thread and tell nice people they are koolaid drinkers because they don't say "We should fail because we failed the last two years"

JFB is the first to say we would be bad the last couple of years NOT HDN.

djgaffer

Keys, I wouldn't label you in that group.  There are a couple of key points you made in that statement.  When I read your posts, you generally do make rational and valid statements about the head coach and the coaching staff.  You usually add a lot of insight, even when I don't necessarily agree.

There are a long list of irrational darksiders that you mention in your post.  These guys add virtually nothing in discussion.  They call the head coach Dale and refer to the Murray State Mafia whenever possible.  They make references to genetalia with regard to the coach because of his surname (how original).  They generally add nothing but the following:
HDNs playcalling sucks
We lost to Vandy
HDN Can't recruit.... yet 2003 was a disaster because of all the talent we had.
They'll derail a thread simply to call him Dale and say he sucks, no matter what the topic.

There are others.  Point being we all have concerns about the coach and the coaching staff.  Some are more valid than others.  But presenting the concerns in a rational manner leads to debate.  Usually, we wind up arguing (not debating) the same numbers and points over and over and over again, usually because of the same few people.  Those are the people I would label darksiders.  They're rude and offer nothing of insight to the discussion.  And they're the ones opposed to the "positive thread".

hogsNbeer

my view is this

1. We should be good

I don't think people are stupid if they are positive....but some take it beyond Realistic...... I am one of the darkest of the darksiders, and my biggest hangup is our program and the 'Powers that be" on the hill that make the decisions........ Would a coach, after 8 years with a SEC Conference record of below .500 still be EMPLOYED!.....   Would he at LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, or Auburn, or Bama???????   HELL NO HE WOULDN'T.......Why is NUTT here?    That is why I'm a darksider...... If he isn't shown the door after another lacking season, then I will truly know that this Administration is not dedicated to building a WINNING PROGRAM as these other schools in the SEC....and all our fans can say is 'wait til next year', or 'we played LSU to a close game'........Makes me sick to my stomach that our program has sunk to that level....  And I've been this way going on my 4th year........ But no, I dont' think being positive is stupid, but I just like to be realistic in my views......   

hogsanity

Quote from: Richard_white on July 26, 2006, 11:24:33 am

Hogsanity, in almost 2500 of my post I have never called anyone a name.  Unless your saying hugger or darksider is name calling, than I am guilty.  But calling somoene a moron or an idiot, none.

Was not directing this at you.  Those who use those names know who they are.  My point was about this thread title, and how positive people are branded here. 

SultanofSwine

Ya'll need to keep in mind there is no IQ test to gain access to this site and it wouldn't help any way because a high IQ doesn't equate to rational discussion. HiM is a perfect example. Despite common thought I would venture he is well above avg in the smarts dept. but he has a posting style with intent to stir folks up. If you watch how and what folks post you can decipher who is a blow hard on either side of the fence and who is going to make an intelligent contribution, again from either side of the fence. Relax and enjoy the site and take the blow hards for what they are.

TOM "tbw1"

The question is not whether you are a darksider or a hugger.  The question is do you look at performance only or do you look at something else.

The current regime has had two winning records in the SEC in eight years.  We are below .500 in SEC play.  We are the only school in the Western Division during HDNs tenure to not win 10 games in a season.

That is why I am not positive about things on the Hill.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Pork Twain

Now these are some darned good discussions.  To bad they don't all end up like this.

hogsanity

Quote from: tbw1 on July 26, 2006, 12:17:20 pm
The question is not whether you are a darksider or a hugger.  The question is do you look at performance only or do you look at something else.

The current regime has had two winning records in the SEC in eight years.  We are below .500 in SEC play.  We are the only school in the Western Division during HDNs tenure to not win 10 games in a season.

I look FORWARD.  Living in the past is pointless.  Calling for Nutt to be fired was fine last year, and it was warranted.  However, when it became clear that he would be retained, why keep on about it.  If and when this years performance warrants it, calling for his head will again be relevant. 

I am positive about this year, but that does not mean I am right.

aristotle

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 26, 2006, 12:05:39 pm
my view is this

1. We should be good

I don't think people are stupid if they are positive....but some take it beyond Realistic...... I am one of the darkest of the darksiders, and my biggest hangup is our program and the 'Powers that be" on the hill that make the decisions........ Would a coach, after 8 years with a SEC Conference record of below .500 still be EMPLOYED!.....   Would he at LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, or Auburn, or Bama???????   HELL NO HE WOULDN'T.......Why is NUTT here?    That is why I'm a darksider...... If he isn't shown the door after another lacking season, then I will truly know that this Administration is not dedicated to building a WINNING PROGRAM as these other schools in the SEC....and all our fans can say is 'wait til next year', or 'we played LSU to a close game'........Makes me sick to my stomach that our program has sunk to that level....  And I've been this way going on my 4th year........ But no, I dont' think being positive is stupid, but I just like to be realistic in my views......  

This is a great point. Either Arkansas should not be considered on the same level as half the conference ( Bama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia ) and we should be happy for our mediocrity under Nutt ( going stricly by conference record ) OR we should be criticising the "powers that be". BECAUSE we all know, that any coach with nearly a decade of coaching and a sub-.500 record would be ousted by the power teams in our league. Gone, history, sayonara. And the media would be leading the attack. Here, the media mentions clouds, and "more with less", and a plethera of excuses to justify the results.

A darksider feels we have been underachieving. A hugger feels we are doing what is expected and couldn't do better with someone else. One thing is for sure, we settle for results from our team, that nearly all schools in our conference would NOT. Plain and simple.

williamsB

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2006, 12:22:19 pm
Quote from: tbw1 on July 26, 2006, 12:17:20 pm

I look FORWARD.  Living in the past is pointless.  Calling for Nutt to be fired was fine last year, and it was warranted.  However, when it became clear that he would be retained, why keep on about it.  If and when this years performance warrants it, calling for his head will again be relevant. 

I am positive about this year, but that does not mean I am right.

I can live with that :)

Pork Twain

July 26, 2006, 12:27:10 pm #36 Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:31:48 pm by Superhog1975
I say the constant negativity from those on the darkside of the fence only hurt us and can never help us.  They are not going to get HDN fired because JFB has shown he does not care what is said on these message boards.  He is way to old-school for that.  When recruits come to our boards, and we all know this is the best one, all they see is negativity.  That COULD possibly sway them to heading to another location but it will never make them decide to come here.

Nobody on this board should be happy with losing but if you cannot change it why just continue to bitch about it.  My wife is in a bad mood 5-6 days a month and I hate it, but I know I cannot change it so I don't make things worse by bitching about it every month...

aristotle

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 26, 2006, 12:27:10 pm
I say the constant negativity from those on the darkside of the fence only hurt us and can never help us.  They are not going to get HDN fired because JFB has shown he does not care what is said on these message boards.  He is way to old-school for that.  When recruits come to our boards, and we all know this is the best one, all they see is negativity.  That COULD possibly sway them to heading to another location but it will never make them decide to come here.

These things you say are true, of course. But, it is the same at every school's message boards all across the country. I don't think ours is worse than any others.

TOM "tbw1"

Superhog,

Does that mean we should be less than honest with potential recruits?  That we should only say "nice" things about our program.  If that is true than any criticism of Danny Ford, Ken Hatfield, Jack Crowe, Lou Holtz should also be banned.

Any recruit who would come to a board and believe that all is well with a program that has a below .500 record in SEC play is not very knowledgeable.  The people we recruit are smarter.

99.5% of the posters on this board are rabid Razorback fans.  You do not have to be a unquestioning follower of the coaches to do that or Otis Douglas would have retired here.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Richard_white

SH, I disagree.  Why would a top recruit be influenced by a message board?  Do you think that a recruit investigates a school before making a decision?  We had back to back losing records.  A recruit would know that and would understand some negative comments about the program.  Hell, you better have some negative things to say or might get that understanding that it is okay with the direction we are in.  I have talked to many HS players and not one have came out and said, negative stuff on a message board influence me not to come to that school.

We all find out that being negative on a message board doesn't hold much to influence recruits.  We got Mitch, Williams, Broadway, Calters, Cleveland and Crawford.  IMO

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: djgaffer on July 26, 2006, 11:59:45 am

Keys, I wouldn't label you in that group.  There are a couple of key points you made in that statement.  When I read your posts, you generally do make rational and valid statements about the head coach and the coaching staff.  You usually add a lot of insight, even when I don't necessarily agree.

There are a long list of irrational darksiders that you mention in your post.  These guys add virtually nothing in discussion.  They call the head coach Dale and refer to the Murray State Mafia whenever possible.  They make references to genetalia with regard to the coach because of his surname (how original).  They generally add nothing but the following:
HDNs playcalling sucks
We lost to Vandy
HDN Can't recruit.... yet 2003 was a disaster because of all the talent we had.
They'll derail a thread simply to call him Dale and say he sucks, no matter what the topic.

There are others.  Point being we all have concerns about the coach and the coaching staff.  Some are more valid than others.  But presenting the concerns in a rational manner leads to debate.  Usually, we wind up arguing (not debating) the same numbers and points over and over and over again, usually because of the same few people.  Those are the people I would label darksiders.  They're rude and offer nothing of insight to the discussion.  And they're the ones opposed to the "positive thread".

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this.  I appreciate your distinctions, and it's true that there are varying degrees of both darksiders and huggers.  However, it is a natural tendency to try to simplify ideologies as either "left or right", "good or evil", or "hugger or darksider".  Consequently, I have and will always be categorized as a "darksider" because of my very low opinion of HDN.  

I, too, am very optimistic about this season because of the new coaches and new offense.  My hope is that Malzahn and Wood have strong enough personalities to effect the necessary change in approach and attitude.  However, my caution stems from a very key word:  "change".  To say that HDN is resistent to change would be an understatement.  He has certainly had to accept some changes, but I see little evidence to suggest that he's embracing them.

Someone once told me, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."  Everything HDN has done since December has reinforced that belief to me.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: aristotle on July 26, 2006, 12:29:52 pm

These things you say are true, of course. But, it is the same at every school's message boards all across the country. I don't think ours is worse than any others.

Yea....go over to LSU, or Bama when they think their teams aren't doing what they expect......Our's is certainly not the worse.......Heck, as far as recruits go, they see that alot of fans are ok with mediocrity, that could send them elsewhere too.......

aristotle

The most adverse influence on our recruiting is results. Wins vs losses. Message boards do not have the same influence as say, an opposing coach in our league using win/loss records against us. Some things you just can't fluff up.

artyhog

I always try to put a positive spin on everything Hog. It really does not bother me that others on this board might dislike that optimism that I show.

Each and every one of us has OUR own opinions about the nature of the Hogs.   Any time some Hugger (me) says something positive, the Haters demand facts, figures, and/or stats to prove my point.

I love the Hogs, send money to the Foundation, go to 10 – 11 games a year, so I fill I have a right to have my say.  Like it or not I refuse to talk negatively about anything Hog related. 

The coaches that are on the Hill are the coaches until they are fired.  I will support them no matter what.  If by chance they are relieved of their duties, then I will cheer on the replacements.

Do I hate to see the Hogs lose, No.  Do I want them to win every game, Yes.  There is not one school in the nation that wins everything.

The Hogs will win 9 – 10 regular season games this year and the bowl game. :razorback:

Smite away, I do not care.  This is just my opinion. ;D

WPS!

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 26, 2006, 12:35:26 pm

Yea....go over to LSU, or Bama when they think their teams aren't doing what they expect......Our's is certainly not the worse.......Heck, as far as recruits go, they see that alot of fans are ok with mediocrity, that could send them elsewhere too.......
As usual you are all focussing on how it doesn't hurt, which I still say it does, and ignoring the fact that it does NOT help at all.

hogsanity

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 26, 2006, 12:40:23 pm

As usual you are all focussing on how it doesn't hurt, which I still say it does, and ignoring the fact that it does NOT help at all.

Either you believe message boards have an effect on those you talk about, therefore IT WOULD EFFECT RECRUITS.  or you don't think message boards have an effect, which means you post for what purpose?

FLKeysGuy

July 26, 2006, 12:44:37 pm #46 Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:51:06 pm by KEYS

I think this link will provide some very good insights on the subject...

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,64924.msg840559.html#msg840559

If nothing else, Hogville demonstrates that Arkansas has MANY passionate fans.  Last night I was checking Baylor messageboards to see if anything was posted about a rumor, and there were no more than 10 fans logged-in to any of those boards at one time!!!

mikeirwin

If you could read some of the emails I get you might change your mind about that statement.
I have received outright threats and veiled threats from so called positive supporters of the football program who don't like the fact that I've shared some of my opinions on this message board. I've been verbally trashed by people on other boards.
There is a common thread to these insults: Leave our football program alone. Don't say anything bad. You are causing problems.
This is curious since I've never figured out why any of these people would think I would want the Hogs to be unsuccessful.
That however is beside the point. The people on message boards who support Houston Nutt can be just as vicious as those who don't.
You have really messed up to send a PM to a kid who works for me asking him to warn my bosses that I spend too much time on this message board. This was nothing more than a pathetic attempt to silence me. What made it laughable is that the guy assumed that I was secretly posting here, that people at KFSM had no idea of my involvement as an administrator.
Of course they know. My boss reads this board and has posted here. He supports my involvement as a way of letting me express my opinions since at KFSM we do not permit editorial comments on our news.
We also have employees who post here just like employees of other TV stations.
I find it interesting that the pro Nutt/anti Nutt factions continue to see themselves as good guys and the other side as intolerant jerks.
As always the truth is somewhere in the middle.

aristotle

Actually, I agreed with you. I just don't think it hurts nearly as bad as you seem to. Very true, it does not help at all. But passionate fans criticizing mediocrity ( as it is perceived here ) is the least of our worries when it comes to recruiting. We have to establish Arkansas as a powerhouse program again. These kids don't remember the glory years of the 60' thru 80's. They see us with Miss St, Ole Miss, and S. Carolina. A team that can sneak up and hurt somebody, but hardly a powerhouse anymore.

Until we change the perception of our program, we will be considered second tier. And the way to change that perception is obvious. More wins, more wins, more wins.

hogsNbeer

So I guess with this thought process..... If everybody has the same thoughts as Rick Schaeffer then the recruits would come in by the droves....?    I agree with Aristotle, if you think that message boards affect a high school kid's decision to not go to a specific school then I can't help.....