Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Steven Jones

Started by Caribhog, December 15, 2017, 11:56:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 19, 2018, 06:14:35 pm
How many recruits you think he will bring in if Grandpa is watching every game next year?

None

Hogindasticks

Ā 

ricepig

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 19, 2018, 08:55:04 pm
Why do you think that?
How many does he bring in now when he attends games?

Hogindasticks

As a college recruiter, if you know Jerry Jones will watch every game you play....That's a selling point to coming to Arkansas to show your skills to the Dallas Cowboys each and every week.....I can't see how that could be bad for our recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 19, 2018, 09:04:39 pm
As a college recruiter, if you know Jerry Jones will watch every game you play....That's a selling point to coming to Arkansas to show your skills to the Dallas Cowboys each and every week.....I can't see how that could be bad for our recruiting.

Again, how many recruits has it brought in previously with his attendance? I think you're overselling this, but who knows?? It won't be bad for recruiting, nobody said that.

Athog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 07:27:33 pm
None

Don't kid yourself! Attention will be given to Arkansas football that it would never get otherwise.

ricepig

Quote from: Athog on January 20, 2018, 08:28:46 am
Don't kid yourself! Attention will be given to Arkansas football that it would never get otherwise.

Lol, how many times do they already mention where Jerry played college football? You do know that he has and has had a suite on about the 35 yard line forever in RRS?

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2018, 08:42:04 am
Lol, how many times do they already mention where Jerry played college football? You do know that he has and has had a suite on about the 35 yard line forever in RRS?

I didn't know that.  That's cool!

tophawg19

the kid has a standing legacy scholarship.so he can come in and not count against the 85 unless he plays . he would however count against the 105 .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

oldhawg

Int
Quote from: tophawg19 on January 20, 2018, 09:49:20 am
the kid has a standing legacy scholarship.so he can come in and not count against the 85 unless he plays . he would however count against the 105 .

Interesting.  Never heard of a "standing legacy scholarship."  Is this something that is an NCAA rule, or is it just an informal thing that Arkansas and perhaps other schools do?

ricepig

Ā 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 09:51:08 am
He already gets in-state tuition as a Texas resident, assuming his grades and ACT score are decent.

Non-residents don't get in-state tuition. They can qualify for a scholarship that pays up to 90% of the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition:

https://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/index.php

It's only available to what most people would consider better than "decent" students, but most of Arkansas's incoming freshmen were pretty good students in high school.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2018, 10:27:24 am
Non-residents don't get in-state tuition. They can qualify for a scholarship that pays up to 90% of the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition:

https://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/index.php

It's only available to what most people would consider better than "decent" students, but most of Arkansas's incoming freshmen were pretty good students in high school.

Well, to qualify for a Legacy Scholarship, you have to be in that range.

"Applicant must be the child of a parent who has a degree from U of Arkansas, Fayetteville and is a current member of the Arkansas Alumni Association. Applicant must be a nonresident of Arkansas and have a minimum 3.0 GPA and a composite ACT score of 24-36 (combined SAT I score of 1110-1600). Applicant must submit Arkansas Alumni Legacy Data Form and apply for and be accepted for admission."

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 11:57:35 am
Well, to qualify for a Legacy Scholarship, you have to be in that range.

"Applicant must be the child of a parent who has a degree from U of Arkansas, Fayetteville and is a current member of the Arkansas Alumni Association. Applicant must be a nonresident of Arkansas and have a minimum 3.0 GPA and a composite ACT score of 24-36 (combined SAT I score of 1110-1600). Applicant must submit Arkansas Alumni Legacy Data Form and apply for and be accepted for admission."

Cool. I may have just learned something. I have two kids who qualify for a Legacy but never heard of it. About to do some research. Thanks.

The reason I replied to your post about JSJ being a Texas resident is that his Texas residency plus academics doesn't equal in-state, but it does substantially reduce out-state tuition. I've read for years here that students from bordering states get in-state tuition. That's not exactly true.

P.S. - Just checked. The Legacy looks identical in scholarship amounts and academic standards to the non-resident from bordering state. Either way, it's a great deal. UA has become a really good school. Business school is ranked 27th in the country. 67% of Fortune 500 companies have an office within 30 minutes of campus. Chad Morris is all about helping players with job opportunities. The Jerry Jones Center offers incredible academic support. 16 Arkansas seniors graduated in 3 1/2 years in December. Arkansas's football team has led the SEC in cumulative GPA the last two years.

FraggleHog

Couple of Crystal Ball predictions on 247 for JSJ to Arkansas, FWIW
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Caribhog

Word around the Cowboys Club here in Frisco is that he only wants to go to Arkansas. For me, my crystal ball is busted. I'd love to see him in Cardinal and White though. Aikman was quoted in the DMN saying (and I paraphrase) he's never seen a player with more heart. FWIW...

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 22, 2018, 11:05:33 pm
Couple of Crystal Ball predictions on 247 for JSJ to Arkansas, FWIW

I've heard him express his love for the University and for the Razorbacks; however, I wouldn't count our SMU just yet.  Great academics and mom and dad can drive 15 minutes to attend his home games.

Rhett Lashlee is recruiting him.  And their offense and level of competition will get him playing time and earlier than he will see at Arkansas.

Besides that, Ford Stadium is just across the street from his home town.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on January 23, 2018, 02:11:46 pm
mom and dad can drive 15 minutes to attend his home games.
Seriously?  Steven Jones could be in Fayetteville in no time, on as nice of a private jet as you can get.  I don't think that is going to be a deciding factor.  If the kid is all Hog like so many have said, he will be a Hog in the end.

ricepig

RD is reporting he's taking an official on Feb 2nd, so he won't be a blue shirt.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on January 23, 2018, 02:11:46 pm
I've heard him express his love for the University and for the Razorbacks; however, I wouldn't count our SMU just yet.  Great academics and mom and dad can drive 15 minutes to attend his home games.

Rhett Lashlee is recruiting him.  And their offense and level of competition will get him playing time and earlier than he will see at Arkansas.

Besides that, Ford Stadium is just across the street from his home town.

I believe the Jones family already has reserved seating at RRS.

ricepig

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 23, 2018, 03:06:43 pm
I believe the Jones family already has reserved seating at RRS.

Yeah, like #414........

Hawgphat

Based strictly upon what little media coverage of the young man I have seen (which certainly isn't much), I surely hope that he is offered an opportunity (and takes advantage of said opportunity) to be a Razorback.  I'm impressed with his apparent level of cool-headed efficiency and ability to produce under fire.  I'm all for making the young man welcome here - - regardless of his family relations.

Ā 

liljo

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 23, 2018, 03:32:12 pm
Based strictly upon what little media coverage of the young man I have seen (which certainly isn't much), I surely hope that he is offered an opportunity (and takes advantage of said opportunity) to be a Razorback.  I'm impressed with his apparent level of cool-headed efficiency and ability to produce under fire.  I'm all for making the young man welcome here - - regardless of his family relations.
+1
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 02:44:01 pm
RD is reporting he's taking an official on Feb 2nd, so he won't be a blue shirt.

Actually RD just says he's visiting. Can take an unofficial visit and still blueshirt?

ricepig

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 23, 2018, 04:06:54 pm
Actually RD just says he's visiting. Can take an unofficial visit and still blueshirt?
Actually you haven't read him lately.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 04:08:20 pm
Actually you haven't read him lately.

Just going off his Tuesday Tidbits.

Soooie21

If he does...I wouldn't be surprise if he rises to the top of the chart..his measurements are not what they would want..but the guy can play lights out...

King Kong

He is still eligible to Grayshirt and take an official visit.

Assuming somehow his family could find away to pay for a few classes for one semester.

parallaxpig

Quote from: King Kong on January 23, 2018, 04:14:50 pm
He is still eligible to Grayshirt and take an official visit.

Assuming somehow his family could find away to pay for a few classes for one semester.

Don't know if they can afford it.....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

King Kong

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 23, 2018, 04:16:54 pm
Don't know if they can afford it.....

Yeah, hopefully he can get a student loan

ricepig

Hugo Bezdek

Con el Cerdos

January 23, 2018, 05:58:28 pm #234 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:10:26 pm by Con el Cerdos
Quote from: AugustaHog on January 23, 2018, 02:15:24 pm
Seriously?  Steven Jones could be in Fayetteville in no time, on as nice of a private jet as you can get.  I don't think that is going to be a deciding factor.  If the kid is all Hog like so many have said, he will be a Hog in the end.

Serious as that proverbial heart attack we've all heard about. I don't think he will go any where to sit on the bench.

But, actually you can throw out everything but the playing early part.  Above everything else is his desire to play, imo.

And seriously, unless we've sorely missed on our QB recruits, I don't think he will play much against the SEC foes that Arkansas lines up against each week.  Too quick, big, tall and willing to put maiming blows on QBs every week.

If starting by his soph or jr year is something he is looking for, SMU would probably be his ticket.  Their offense would certainly be.

So, will it be love for the Razorbacks or (likely) earlier playing time that wins the day.

The Feb. 2, OV date, may be the tale teller.

I'll also say this, if you've never seen him play, he has done unbelievable things in his two years as a starter at HP.  If he could repeat them at Arkansas, we might win a lot more than we have the last 6 years.

jbcarol

SEC Country Arkansas
‏ @SECCountryHogs

Arkansas QB target John Stephen Jones has top 3, decision coming soon  #WPS http://sec.news/2BIFvyS
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Vantage 8 dude

See in today's ARDEMGAZ that supposedly Chad has offered him a scholarship that if John Stephen were to accept would be count against this year's class. Apparently a potential "blue shirt" option was taken off the table. Under the circumstances, and given the linage, to take offers over SMU or TTU (two others he's apparently considering) over the Hogs would be a total travesty.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 02, 2018, 03:00:31 pm
See in today's ARDEMGAZ that supposedly Chad has offered him a scholarship that if John Stephen were to accept would be count against this year's class. Apparently a potential "blue shirt" option was taken off the table. Under the circumstances, and given the linage, to take offers over SMU or TTU (two others he's apparently considering) over the Hogs would be a total travesty.

Once he was invited for an official visit, the blueshirt offer went out the window.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

C'mon kid and win that job..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawg1221

I just can't see him not picking us over SMU and Texas Tech.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Him not picking Arkansas would hurt more than him picking Arkansas would help.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ArkansasI

Offering JSJ a full ride is a no-brainer.  The kid can clearly play, and his scholarship will pay more dividends than 99% of the kids Arkansas signs.

I hope JSJ realizes the opportunity is real, and that he believes he can play at this level.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere.  That would be a major loss for us.

Glad Chad appears on it.

GO HOGS!

RebelW

"If you're good enough, you're big enough"

bphi11ips

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2018, 04:12:12 pm
Offering JSJ a full ride is a no-brainer.  The kid can clearly play, and his scholarship will pay more dividends than 99% of the kids Arkansas signs.

I hope JSJ realizes the opportunity is real, and that he believes he can play at this level.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere.  That would be a major loss for us.

Glad Chad appears on it.

GO HOGS!

JSJ is good enough for a scholarship, but if he weren't, the least Arkansas can do is give him one after what his family has done for the university.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2018, 03:10:01 pm
Once he was invited for an official visit, the blueshirt offer went out the window.
My point is that in any event apparently the staff didn't feel confident/comfortable enough NOT to extend an official visit invite. Otherwise, assuming they thought they could convince him with a blue shirt offer, having him come on an official wouldn't have been necessary. Whatever the reason(s) they decided to go ahead and extend the invitation. Perhaps they felt that with other schools apparently willing to extend an offer for an immediate scholarship they'd best not take the chance of allowing him to possibly go elsewhere.

As I said earlier given the background and linage of two generations of Hill grads it would be a shame if the young man went elsewhere. While I certainly don't know for certain how his college career might turn out, you have to try to "keep it in the family" if at all possible.

razorbacker3

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 09:24:48 pm
Again, how many recruits has it brought in previously with his attendance? I think you're overselling this, but who knows?? It won't be bad for recruiting, nobody said that.
Just think of JSJ hosting top recruits and personally introducing them to his grandpa. Yeah , it could help recruiting some.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: razorbacker3 on February 02, 2018, 06:24:42 pm
Just think of JSJ hosting top recruits and personally introducing them to his grandpa. Yeah , it could help recruiting some.

Could have helped this weekend. However our big names backed out

ricepig

Quote from: razorbacker3 on February 02, 2018, 06:24:42 pm

An article about him said he has people wanting to befriend him because of that, I imagine he just wants to be JSJ.

Athog

This kid is good enough no matter what his name is!!

jbcarol

Richard Davenport
‏ @ArRecruitingGuy
37m37 minutes ago

Decision coming soon for QB John Stephen Jones after Arkansas trip: It appears a decision from quarterback John Stephen Jones could come soon after his official visit to Arkansas. http://dlvr.it/QF0K4Q
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net