Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Baylor recruiting is hurting Arkansas

Started by Sao Ming, July 24, 2006, 12:07:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

July 27, 2006, 11:56:54 am #50 Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:01:51 pm by drakehog
Quote from: bigred7987 on July 27, 2006, 12:12:45 am
#1 You obviously care if you take the time to criticize my post.
Debating it, not criticizing it. Your problem is you are looking at is as criticism from someone you perceive to be a darksider. I am objective, having spent years in a profession that asked for some objectivity though so many still practice homerism and call it objectivity, and am merely debating.

#2 I do not buy into the Otis/Nutt slant just as I don't buy into the Anti-Nutt groups.  I take in the information from both sides and deduce for myself what the truth is.  People would be stupid to believe everything Otis/Nutt say just as they would be stupid to believe everything that people who hate Nutt and co. say. 

good for you. You see things as they are, that there are agendas out there among the people who have "access" to "inside Arkansas recruiting news." that is very good.

#3 Where did I mention Cody Green or Ryan Powers? k thnx

you didn't. I did. I used their recruitment and the "news" about them as part of the debate that "offers" don't mean as much as you seem to think they do, or are not all equal. k thnx
#4 If Ernest Mitchell was such a "contingent" with FSU then why was he in Tallahassee on the 2nd to last recruiting weekend?  Thought they "cooled" on him.  I will give you this however, Clemson did cool as they had 5 other DT's commit that year before him.  A teacher at my school who is also a football coach transferred from Newnan in Georgia and we talked about Mitchell often.  In no way did FSU "cool" as evidence by his official visit near the end.  FSU was in the mix for him from the beginning.  This coach also told me that everyone thought he was headed to FSU but shocked everyone when he said Arkansas.  His reasoning was he just felt more comfortable there even though he didn't expect it himself.  That is Straight from the coach I will add who had no reason to lie.  Also just to add that not everything Otis says is spin, he talks about Ernest being a weight room freak, the first thing this coach mentioned was that he had never seen anyone like him in a work out room and that it was scary. 

The FSU defensive coordinator himself, in a cocktail hour conversation in the not too distant past, told me they cooled on him. Yes, Mitchell's a unusual weight room freak, that doesn't always translate into a great football player, especially immediately. Then again, there are some Steve Kortes out there who take to the field as well as the weight room in time. FSU's thoughts were that he'd take too long to be readied to play. And lo and behold, lookie here, he's been a project for Arkansas too (and I'm of the opinion the lightbulb may come on, the footwork fall into place and Mitchell will be a lot like a lot of former Hogs who had to blossom and provided their best at the ends of their careers). Funny how that worked out. I actually talk to people, BigRed. k thnks.

#5 You can say Michael Smith never had offers from anybody besides Purdue, he says "his recruitment is moving along smoothly, with the exception of one bump in the road. Florida has been mentioned among his favorites all along. He is still considering the Gators, but the recent firing of head coach Ron Zook and the entire Gators coaching staff has caused him to rethink his situation with the home state school.

He would loved to have actually gotten an offer from Florida, but Florida didn't want him. Florida State was almost across the street and had other players it wanted. Is that obvious at all to you?
Seriously, Smith was under most folks radars because of his junior season injury. Same with Felix Jones. One drawback to all this rush by the big boys to get all their commitments in the summer before a prepster's senior year is that they may be missing some real gems. Smith and Jones, certainly could qualify in that category before their careers are done. And, to add most importantly, I don't hold it against a player being recruited by Purdue; in fact, we have to recruit a lot like Purdue and Iowa, so to see a player listed with those schools is not like saying he's considering UA, Rice, SMU, Monroe and Illinois State.

#6  Is the word Van or Stumon in my post anywhere? no k thnx

Refer to the section about Cody Green, Ryan Powers. Just backing up my debate about "offers." I brought him up, not you. Why are you so defensive? You must be a youngster full of vim and vigor. I applaud you and your efforts, keep them up. Hogville needs objective debate and opinions, and you offer them, and I have debated them. You are among the group that must keep us old farts from becoming to jaded by the same-ol' same-ol'. Please don't take it personal or feel you have to go on defensive about your qualifications, your idea, opinions, etc. We're all in the same boat here as Hog fans who want the best program we can possibly have. I will counter, too, in case it wasn't obvious in the previous post that several listed players were and are legitimate with legitimate big-time offers, Michael Grant chief among them. All recruiting has not been lost, by a longshot -- if that were the case, how could Arkansas possibly be in line for having 12 All-SEC players or be a team that should, imo, go 9-3, 8-4 at worse this season? No question, a handful of your list received numerous "BCS" school offers. Felton, in fact, got a serious late rush from Texas A&M but A&M is not listed in your list on him. No question dozens now on the roster from in-state received attention from big schools, such as Damian Williams, Mitch Mustain, Fred Bledsoe, Ben Cleveland, Marcus Monk, Chris Baker, etc. Arkansas at some point should be able to fill a top 22 that received significant big-time attention. Where Arkansas, even in a larger scholarship number era, always has lacked is in the lower third to half or the roster and the quality there, meaning serious depth issues in certain spots.
An "applaud" karma to you for the chance to share in this debate with you.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

bigred7987

I'm not perceiving you as a darksider, I was actually referring to Sao in my first post with his "Worlds worst recruiting" mindset, along with his complaining about never going after good talent.  And btw Sao, how many commitments did we have this time last year?  Any 4 stars? Any 4 players?
And also its not being defensive minded, merely debating.  You had a rebuttle for many of the players I mentioned so I came back with my opinion as well. 
And about Mitchell, you talk to the team who lost out on his recruiting, I talk to his position coach at Newnan.  Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that situation.  But just food for thought, how many times do we hear we pulled an offer from so and so or we are going another direction AFTER somebody commits? 

Jim Harris

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 27, 2006, 12:20:50 pm
I'm not perceiving you as a darksider, I was actually referring to Sao in my first post with his "Worlds worst recruiting" mindset, along with his complaining about never going after good talent.  And btw Sao, how many commitments did we have this time last year?  Any 4 stars? Any 4 players?
And also its not being defensive minded, merely debating.  You had a rebuttle for many of the players I mentioned so I came back with my opinion as well. 
And about Mitchell, you talk to the team who lost out on his recruiting, I talk to his position coach at Newnan.  Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that situation.  But just food for thought, how many times do we hear we pulled an offer from so and so or we are going another direction AFTER somebody commits? 

excellent point, that last one.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Sao Ming

Another East Texas kid heads to Waco...

http://baylor.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=570825

3* - Gilmer, TX LB Dominique Buchanan
Ht: 6-foot-1
Wt: 235 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Squat max: 495 pounds
Vertical: 29 inches
Class: 2007 (High School)

Oklahawg

Sao, if I gave a damn about Baylor's recruiting I'd go on a Baylor fan site, not hogville.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BattleHawg

August 13, 2006, 04:13:34 pm #55 Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 04:23:48 pm by BattleHawg
yeah, i've been saying it this year, and even had a post up about it.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,65712.0.html

Bayluh sure is haulin' em in hotnheavy this year... I mean, their class is almost wrappedup - sheesh.  usually at this time of year they r lucky to have 5-6 commits; also, those commits are usually from 1* and 2* kids, but some of these guys are actually good players.

hmmmm...

BH

BattleHawg

Quote from: tbw1 on July 24, 2006, 02:22:40 pm
Anyone who would begin Razorback recruiting strategy by blowing off East Texas would begin a diet by shooting himself in the stomach.

very true.   +1

BattleHawg

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 24, 2006, 03:26:09 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on July 24, 2006, 01:59:41 pm
Our recruiting will improve once Gus gets in action on the field.  I'd bet the farm on it. 

DISCLAIMER:  This statement contains forward-looking opinions which are based on information currently available.  Actual results my differ materially from those currently anticipated due to either meddling or limitiations placed upon the offensive coordinator in the design, play calling or execution of his offense by the former OC and current head coach who suffers from an inflated view of his own capabilities.

Man, that last "Disclaimer" is 24 carrot.

See ya

LOLOLOL!!!

Hatfield, you mean 24 "carat"?

LOL, ur killin me   <rofl>

that was great!   :) :D ;D

BH

Sao Ming

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 13, 2006, 04:11:48 pm
Sao, if I gave a damn about Baylor's recruiting I'd go on a Baylor fan site, not hogville.

Huh?  I think the premise of my thread going back some weeks now is very evident and extremely relevent here.  What issue are you taking with me taking issue with The Razorback staff allowing a hotbed of talent to go untapped?