Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dave Woodman said...

Started by moses_007, November 20, 2017, 11:54:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

I just ran into Dave Woodman at the bank and he told me he didn't think Gus would come back to Arkansas.  Dave said he thought Gus wouldn't want any more to do with the mess at Arkansas.  I told Dave that Nutt, Broyles and all those assistants on that 2006 team were gone, and then he said he might take the job, but only if he really wanted to come home.

I don't think Dave is in the know like he used to be.  He hasn't been the Voice of the Razorbacks since the 80s.  I've known Dave a long time...met him when he was with Channel 4 long before he started announcing Razorback games.

dpetty121263

Yea Arkansas is a pretty good train wreck..plus a step backwards for Gus..Think Woodman was correct..

hogfan98

There is no mess.  The football team isn't any good, but a lot of that can be attributed to poor coaching.  Any coach that looks at our current situation and thinks it's something he can't overcome is a coach that can stay off of our sideline.

The Boar War

So Dave Woodman didn't know that Broyles and Nutt have been gone for a decade?

sickboy

When someone gives their opinion and it sounds like their projecting their own feelings about the program, it's pretty useless. He basically said, "I think the program is a mess, why would Malzahn want anything to do with this."

But the truth is, Malzahn is probably not looking at it from Dave Woodman's perspective. He might, but Woodman sure doesn't sound like he knows what Malzahn is thinking.

I'll wait and see how it shakes out.

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogfan98 on November 20, 2017, 12:01:28 pm
There is no mess.  The football team isn't any good, but a lot of that can be attributed to poor coaching.  Any coach that looks at our current situation and thinks it's something he can't overcome is a coach that can stay off of our sideline.

No mess? We just fired our ad. Our starting qb was arrested. We have about 25k fans at our games
Ultimately we are either going to rush to hire an ad or expect a coach to come on good faith. I don't think it's unfixable and I think it will work out but there is a mess.

hogfan98

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 20, 2017, 12:04:09 pm
No mess? We just fired our ad. Our starting qb was arrested. We have about 25k fans at our games
Ultimately we are either going to rush to hire an ad or expect a coach to come on good faith. I don't think it's unfixable and I think it will work out but there is a mess.

There are no APR issues.  There is no scandal to overcome.  With a new coach the fans will be back first game next year.  Cole Kelly arrest was stupid but will have zero bearing on next season.  The only thing I'll give you is not having an AD.  Might give a prospective coach some pause.  But these aren't long term issues. 

Call me when our coach flies off his bike with his side-piece in the middle of off-season again and we hire a senile old man to run things for a year.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

moses_007

Quote from: sickboy on November 20, 2017, 12:03:19 pm
When someone gives their opinion and it sounds like their projecting their own feelings about the program, it's pretty useless. He basically said, "I think the program is a mess, why would Malzahn want anything to do with this."

But the truth is, Malzahn is probably not looking at it from Dave Woodman's perspective. He might, but Woodman sure doesn't sound like he knows what Malzahn is thinking.

You're exactly right.  Woodman was merely giving his own opinion.

IMHO, Gus is already a done deal.  Too many things point to it as being true. 

farmhawg

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 12:13:48 pm

Heres the deal, is Gus doesn't come here right now then he never can. It can't be this open and him turn us down. Now maybe he doesn't care which is fine but he will never get the chance again. The fans would roast whoever hires him after this point.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hoghiker

No AD and soon to be no coach is at least a tiny mess.

Torqued pork

Quote from: hoghiker on November 20, 2017, 12:28:58 pm
Hopefully It's the beginning of cleaning up a mess. We will see.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 11:54:57 am
I just ran into Dave Woodman at the bank and he told me he didn't think Gus would come back to Arkansas.  Dave said he thought Gus wouldn't want any more to do with the mess at Arkansas.  I told Dave that Nutt, Broyles and all those assistants on that 2006 team were gone, and then he said he might take the job, but only if he really wanted to come home.

I don't think Dave is in the know like he used to be.  He hasn't been the Voice of the Razorbacks since the 80s.  I've known Dave a long time...met him when he was with Channel 4 long before he started announcing Razorback games.

Any idea what Roy Mitchell and Tom Bonner think?

GlassofSwine

jgphillips3

Uh...no.  That's called an opportunity, not a mess.

1highhog

Quote from: sickboy on November 20, 2017, 12:03:19 pm

Exactly, Woodman hasn't been involved in anything sports related on the hill in decades, his opinion means no more than the opinions of everyone on Hogville that gives out opinions.   We're all tired of seeing the Hogs lose and we want a change, some want it right at this very moment because they can't take the wait.  Truth is, they are going to wait until BB coaches his last game before letting him go, giving him the opportunity to finish out the season with his players.  They have made by now inquiries, one I know for sure about interest in the job, and we will have a new coach in place in plenty of time for the early signing period.

Torqued pork

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 20, 2017, 12:36:37 pm
Roy Mitchell died years ago. Not sure about Tom Bonner.

menace_hawg3

I would like to have Gus, but I just don't see him coming here. Lets say Gus beats Bama and advances to the SECCG. Do you really see him leaving his team before the SECCG? OK...Let's take it a little further. If he beats Georgia for the SEC title, can anyone honestly see him leaving Auburn before he goes to the playoffs?  Who is going to recruit for Arkansas during this time? I just don't see it happening.

Coach Obvious

Friday forecast: Cloudy with a chance of butt-whooping.

jackflash

never figured Gus was a candiate

NoogaHog

Quote from: The Boar War on November 20, 2017, 12:02:12 pm
So Dave Woodman didn't know that Broyles and Nutt have been gone for a decade?

ACTUAL OUT LOUD LAUGHING!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 12:13:48 pm

Unless he wins Saturday.   Then I don't know.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

TexArkHogFan

First, Auburn is not going to beat Alabama unless something freakish happens.  Second, Gus is not going to express any interest in Arkansas until he does.  If he did, knowing Auburn, they would tell him to hit the road - like right now.  Remember, Mike Anderson denied any interest in the Arkansas job until he accepted the job.  If you are currently employed as  a coach nobody is going to express an interest in another job until it is actually announced.  Hang tight, we'll know after the Iron Bowl.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 20, 2017, 01:46:01 pm
Unless he wins Saturday.   Then I don't know.
If you are Auburn, the Iron Bowl is more important than the SEC championship game.  Even if they win, I still think he will come on board after the Iron Bowl if he truly wants the job.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

menace_hawg3

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on November 20, 2017, 02:00:18 pm
  If you are Auburn, the Iron Bowl is more important than the SEC championship game.  Even if they win, I still think he will come on board after the Iron Bowl if he truly wants the job.

He might truly want the Arkansas job, but I don't think he's truly stupid enough to leave before his team plays the SECCG.

huntindoc

Wait a minute!  "IMHO"?  I could have sworn you posted on a previous thread that it was a done deal, that Gus had been offered and accepted.  SMH.

moses_007

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on November 20, 2017, 02:00:18 pm
I think so too since he really wants our job.  I think he wants out of Auburn, Alabama, as soon as possible.  He won't wait for a championship game.  One of his assistants could coach it.

AlmaHog2011

It's been a mess but will soon be cleaned up!

moses_007

Actually, our football program has been nothing more than mediocre since we started playing in the SEC.  Two good seasons by Nutt, two by Petrino, one by Ford,,, and that's it. 

menace_hawg3

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 02:05:25 pm
I think so too since he really wants our job.  I think he wants out of Auburn, Alabama, as soon as possible.  He won't wait for a championship game.  One of his assistants could coach it.

I really think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

OLDHOG

now that's funny right there. Thanks for the chuckle.

rljjr

Hmm. At least Cole Kelley wasn't captured on video tape getting taken down by the FPD Office Linebacker like a crying baby. There's no mess. There is just a group that hasn't been well coached or inspired.

menehune

Re-read your own post...you would seriously be okay with a coach who would leave his team in the midst of a championship run? Even worse, you'd want him to be our coach knowing he could leave us in the same manner? Not me!!!

longtimeHogfan

I think so too since he really wants our job.  I think he wants out of Auburn, Alabama, as soon as possible.  He won't wait for a championship game.  One of his assistanrts could coach it.

How much bonus $ would he be walking away from for having made it to the SECCG?
And maybe playing in the national championship playoffs?  Those are two serious bonuses probably.  Of course he has to win Saturday.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

The Hawg Marshal

Well if the "Dialing for Dollars" guy says it's not going to happen , that's good enough for me.

sowmonella

Dave Woodman hasn't been connected to Razorback Sports since 1978.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

moses_007

Quote from: sowmonella on November 20, 2017, 02:45:45 pm
Dave Woodman hasn't been connected to Razorback Sports since 1978.
Pretty sure he was still Voice of the Razorbacks in the early 80s.

moses_007

Oh, Woodman did say that if Gus came here, he would have a fan support of about 60 percent for him, and 40 percent against him.

Course if Malzahn is successful here, that would change, and fast.

grayhawg

No mess, just reconstruction.

HF#1

I had no idea he was still alive.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Matt Burks

What coach wouldn't want to coach in the Championship game???? That's what they play for!

PorkRinds

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on November 20, 2017, 02:15:16 pm

It'll be fun to watch at least.

moses_007

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 04:01:55 pm
I had no idea he was still alive.
Yes, Dave is alive and well but he's really aged over the last few years. He does info-commercials for a choirpractor/back doctor in Conway.

TNhogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 02:46:59 pm
Pretty sure he was still Voice of the Razorbacks in the early 80s.
Nope.  Big Sam Smith came in for the 1977 season, then Paul Eells  followed starting with the 1978 season.   Dave became the Voice of the Razorbacks after Bud Campbell died during the 1974 season, but only lasted 2 full seasons before going back to KARK.

HogHillbilly

Gus has a family member here in Fort Smith that is very sick. Yes, he is looking at coming back here to be closer. Just waiting for all the stars to align. And they have now done so
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoglady

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 02:49:38 pm
Oh, Woodman did say that if Gus came here, he would have a fan support of about 60 percent for him, and 40 percent against him.

Course if Malzahn is successful here, that would change, and fast.

Yes - when it's all said and done - it's about Wins.
You put enough W's up and everyone will love you.
You put too many L's everyone will be trying to run you out of town.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HawgPound

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on November 20, 2017, 02:15:16 pm

Yep. He would be a fool to leave Auburn's talent behind and come to Arkansas to compete in the exact same division. Besides, he was not treated that well at Arkansas when he was here. Do people really think he feels like Arkansas would have his back? I am sure 1/4 of the fan base would split almost immediately with another 1/4 after the first few loses. Give it a couple of years of six or seven wins and the whole state will be after him. Face it, at Arkansas he comes to less talent with the exact same pressure the Auburn fans are putting on him. If he really wants less pressure he is not going to get it unless he steps away from the SEC.

pigskenG

November 20, 2017, 04:31:00 pm #48 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:00:00 pm by pigskenG
I can't seem to come up with a who I want list, but I can start a list of who I definitely would not want:
Mike Leach
Charlie Strong
Lane Kiffin
Les Miles

I wish Coach Bielema could stay, I think if he could recruit better he would win on the field, and all would be good.
He does everything else the right way. Wouldn't you want your kid to play for him ?
JMO

moses_007

Quote from: pigskenG on November 20, 2017, 04:31:00 pm

I wish Coach Bielema could stay, I think if he could recruit better he would win on the field, and all would be good.
He does everything else the right way. Wouldn't you want your kid to play for him ?

No, I'd want my son to play for a winner, not a loser.  Good thing I only had girls and didn't have to make that decision.