Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

my dad's freshman year at the university of arkansas was 1949

Started by dfwalumdad, November 19, 2017, 12:24:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dfwalumdad

john barnhill's last year as head coach and AD.  barnhill was diagnosed with MS and retired as coach remaining as AD. his first hire was otis douglas. my dad graduated in 1953. during my fathers sophomore, junior and senior years douglas compiled a 9-21 overall record and a 4-14 conference record.

after arkansas douglas was an assistant for the Philadelphia eagles for 1 year and villinova for a single year, couldn't get a job in coaching for two years finally landing with the calgary stampede as an assistant  for four seasons. by 1960 he was out of coaching forever.

he died in 1989, i was 28 at that time, i'm not sure if his obituary made the arkansas papers, i certainly don't remember it if they did.

fast forward to 2013 my son began his freshman at the UofA year under the bert regime and was treated to the first season in the SEC that the razorbacks failed to win a conference game.

followed up by a sophomore year in which the hogs won 2 conference games a junior year when we topped out at 5 conference games then a senior year when we won 3, for a grand total of 10 conference wins in his four years on the hill.

isn't amazing how history repeats itself.

that's Brets legacy he's my son's otis douglas.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 19, 2017, 12:24:42 pm
john barnhill's last year as head coach and AD.  barnhill was diagnosed with MS and retired as coach remaining as AD. his first hire was otis douglas. my dad graduated in 1953. during my fathers sophomore, junior and senior years douglas compiled a 9-21 overall record and a 4-14 conference record.

after arkansas douglas was an assistant for the Philadelphia eagles for 1 year and villinova for a single year, couldn't get a job in coaching for two years finally landing with the calgary stampede as an assistant  for four seasons. by 1960 he was out of coaching forever.

he died in 1989, i was 28 at that time, i'm not sure if his obituary made the arkansas papers, i certainly don't remember it if they did.

fast forward to 2013 my son began his freshman at the UofA year under the bert regime and was treated to the first season in the SEC that the razorbacks failed to win a conference game.

followed up by a sophomore year in which the hogs won 2 conference games a junior year when we topped out at 5 conference games then a senior year when we won 3, for a grand total of 10 conference wins in his four years on the hill.

isn't amazing how history repeats itself.

that's Brets legacy he's my son's otis douglas.

Not a bad story, but you got zero responses!  Probably because everyone is so unhapppy right now. 

So, I will wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and now your post was not shut out!

LJHOG

Be sure your grandson does not attend Arkansas.  Clearly your family is cursed.