Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The SEC school with the best home field advantage is...

Started by Arkiejared, July 20, 2006, 11:42:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kuhog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2006, 09:46:24 am
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 21, 2006, 09:35:18 am
Steele had to have been counting WMS instead of The Glorified Tomb That Is RRS when he was pulling up those rankings.

Castigate WMS all you like, but many of those Fayetteville losses in the past few years would've been wins in Little Rock.

You can not assume that any game lost in RRS would have certainly been a win in WMS!  You can think it, you can say might have, but there is no way to know.  What I do know is, that when they finally played a REAL team in LR ( LSu 2004 ) the hogs got pasted, waxed, and used to mop the field at WMS. 

By that time, the Razorbacks had simply given up on their season. There was no way we were going to pull off an upset that day.  

Landonhog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 21, 2006, 10:14:12 am
Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2006, 09:46:24 amYou can not assume that any game lost in RRS would have certainly been a win in WMS!  You can think it, you can say might have, but there is no way to know.  What I do know is, that when they finally played a REAL team in LR ( LSu 2004 ) the hogs got pasted, waxed, and used to mop the field at WMS.

Yeah, Kentucky in 1998 wasn't a real team.

Mississippi State in 1999 sure wasn't worth a damn.

LSU in 2000 must've been Teh Suck.  Boise State that same year didn't do much.

South Carolina in 2001 wasn't legit.

LSU didn't do jack in 2002, eh.

Look up their records if you care to.

Like it or not, but you've got no leg to stand on with that point.

The 2003 Auburn game would've been a win in Little Rock.  I was in the west stands for that one.  When you're undefeated, #7 in the country, and in the fourth quarter your crowd seems more concerned with sitting on their hands and occasionally booing the ** officiating than making actual noise, there's a problem.

I'm sorry gas is so expensive, but the U of A is in Fayetteville....  Little Rock will always be a side show, whether you like it or not.   Not a flame, just the facts.   

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2006, 12:14:39 pm
Now dont cofuse the issue by brining in FACTS. Fact is people like WMS for 2 reasons:  1.  Getting stone stupid throwing up their liver drunk, and only having to walk from the golf course to the game  and 2:  Being able to get stone stupid drunk quicker after the game. 

I personally wont go to any games in WMS because the "fans" there amke it intollerable, especially if you have young children you might like to take.
Man, I just don't see how you can get drunk quicker or easier at WMS than RRS.  I have the same cooler of beer and the same sized cup and the same kind of pint in my boot in both places.  You talk about facts, yet don't bring any.  I know you are trying to make a point but I have seen more stupid drunks in the student section at RRS than I have EVER encountered in WMS.  You make WMS sound like Death Valley or something, which it isn't, but they crowd sure is more into the games at LR than in Fayetteville and thats just a fact.

nwarazfan

July 21, 2006, 12:04:02 pm #53 Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:12:44 pm by nwarazfan
Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on July 21, 2006, 11:59:16 am
Now dont cofuse the issue by brining in FACTS. Fact is people like WMS for 2 reasons:  1.  Getting stone stupid throwing up their liver drunk, and only having to walk from the golf course to the game  and 2:  Being able to get stone stupid drunk quicker after the game. 

I personally wont go to any games in WMS because the "fans" there amke it intollerable, especially if you have young children you might like to take.
Man, I just don't see how you can get drunk quicker or easier at WMS than RRS.  I have the same cooler of beer and the same sized cup and the same kind of pint in my boot in both places.  You talk about facts, yet don't bring any.  I know you are trying to make a point but I have seen more stupid drunks in the student section at RRS than I have EVER encountered in WMS.  You make WMS sound like Death Valley or something, which it isn't, but they crowd sure is more into the games at LR than in Fayetteville and thats just a fact.

Students are segregated from the crowd and mostly walk in from campus are come over from partying at their apartments.  They aren't acting like drunken jackasses in front of families.  WMS is just a small version of Death Valley- and yes I've been to both.  And all I see in your post is OPINION. 

Programs like Mich or Miami don't have great home records due to crowd noise.  Hell, Miami has had many, many games where there has been 15,000 empty seats.  Those programs win because of talent and coaching staffs.  This whole LR crowd noise myth that has grown in the last few years is just stupid. 

Landonhog

July 21, 2006, 12:15:41 pm #54 Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:17:14 pm by Landonhog

You make WMS sound like Death Valley or something, which it isn't, but they crowd sure is more into the games at LR than in Fayetteville and thats just a fact.

More drunk rednecks does not equal "more into the game", but it does mean that they will be louder... (per person)  ;)

I've been on both sides of this debate, (I mean participated... heavily...) and I would rather take my (non-existent) children to RRS than to LR anyday... 

dana caldwell

it IS louder in LR. hands down.

anyway, as for the toughest places to play in the SEC, i'm lost on any logic steele would have for mentioning arkansas.

think of the toughest places to win (at least in the last 15-20 years): FLORIDA, tenneesee, LSU (and skipping the last 5-10 years, those folks at alabama did OK). auburn also has become a helluva hard place to win.

arkansas (regardless of the location; check the opponents for War Memorial during nutt's run)? no way.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 21, 2006, 12:04:02 pm

Students are segregated from the crowd and mostly walk in from campus are come over from partying at their apartments.  They aren't acting like drunken jackasses in front of families.  WMS is just a small version of Death Valley- and yes I've been to both.  And all I see in your post is OPINION. 

Programs like Mich or Miami don't have great home records due to crowd noise.  Hell, Miami has had many, many games where there has been 15,000 empty seats.  Those programs win because of talent and coaching staffs.  This whole LR crowd noise myth that has grown in the last few years is just stupid. 

I agree..... Not debating on whether RRS or WMS is louder, I've been to both.......  I've always said this....and this goes with what you said about Mich and Miami.......If you are a football player, playing in one of the strongest Conferences in the land, and you have to have the CROWD to get you pumped...then there is something seriously wrong with your head....  I can tell you this much....... LOUD OR NOT, it won't phase Southern Cal when they come in September...... It doesn't affect these teams, IMO.....

nwarazfan

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 21, 2006, 12:15:54 pm

anyway, as for the toughest places to play in the SEC, i'm lost on any logic steele would have for mentioning arkansas.

think of the toughest places to win (at least in the last 15-20 years): FLORIDA, tenneesee, LSU (and skipping the last 5-10 years, those folks at alabama did OK). auburn also has become a helluva hard place to win.

arkansas (regardless of the location; check the opponents for War Memorial during nutt's run)? no way.

Not any louder than it was pre-Shaud Williams run vs Bama in 02.  Not any louder than pre-expansion vs Tenn in 99.  Not any louder than vs Texas in 04.  Its not the stadium, its not the crowd, its the product on the field.  Get this program better in talent, coaching and play on the field and its ridiculous to think 54,000 is louder than 72,000.  Its not even with the bowl shape at WMS.  This is a myth born out of bitterness over the GSD. 

Crowd noise did not force Nutt to not play his freshman backs vs Vandy.  Crowd noise did not force Nutt into trying to sit on a 3-0 lead over Tenn when RRS expansion opened.  Crowd noise had nothing to do with Matt Jones not protecting the football vs Texass.

Good programs win at home due to talent, not crowd noise.  If it were all about crowd noise, LSU wouldn't choke every year at home at least once.  DKR in Austin isn't 'loud'.  Texass wins because they recruit better players.

Landonhog

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 21, 2006, 12:22:56 pm

I agree..... Not debating on whether RRS or WMS is louder, I've been to both.......  I've always said this....and this goes with what you said about Mich and Miami.......If you are a football player, playing in one of the strongest Conferences in the land, and you have to have the CROWD to get you pumped...then there is something seriously wrong with your head....  I can tell you this much....... LOUD OR NOT, it won't phase Southern Cal when they come in September...... It doesn't affect these teams, IMO.....

Agreed.

dana caldwell

crowd noise is a factor: inspires home team, especially defenses and can cause havoc with opponent communication leading to botched plays, delay of games, offsides and burned timeouts.

of course it affects some teams (young) more than others (vet).

dana caldwell

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 21, 2006, 12:24:35 pm

Not any louder than it was pre-Shaud Williams run vs Bama in 02.  Not any louder than pre-expansion vs Tenn in 99.  Not any louder than vs Texas in 04.  Its not the stadium, its not the crowd, its the product on the field.  Get this program better in talent, coaching and play on the field and its ridiculous to think 54,000 is louder than 72,000.  Its not even with the bowl shape at WMS.  This is a myth born out of bitterness over the GSD. 

Crowd noise did not force Nutt to not play his freshman backs vs Vandy.  Crowd noise did not force Nutt into trying to sit on a 3-0 lead over Tenn when RRS expansion opened.  Crowd noise had nothing to do with Matt Jones not protecting the football vs Texass.

Good programs win at home due to talent, not crowd noise.  If it were all about crowd noise, LSU wouldn't choke every year at home at least once.  DKR in Austin isn't 'loud'.  Texass wins because they recruit better players.

goodness. i was at all home games for five seasons and LR clearly is louder. the configuration is more conducive, the crowd generally parties more and the locals have only a couple of chances so they get more into it, apparently.

that has nothing to do with the GSD at all. i couldn't give three craps about that.

of course, fayetteville folks get rocking for UT or the like. but LR folks make a game vs. louisiana-lafayette feel important.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 21, 2006, 12:22:56 pm

We could play So Cal in LR and put a WMS crowd in there like 80s A&M, Texas or Houston shootout night and the game would still be decided on the field.  Coaching and players win games. 

So Car has had nice crowds but their home record is avg at best because their program has sucked.  The other Death Valley at Clemson is one of the loudest stadiums in college football but over the last 15 years, Clemson not unbeatable there due to not being as good as they were in the 80s. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 21, 2006, 12:28:28 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on July 21, 2006, 12:24:35 pm

goodness. i was at all home games for five seasons and LR clearly is louder. the configuration is more conducive, the crowd generally parties more and the locals have only a couple of chances so they get more into it, apparently.

that has nothing to do with the GSD at all. i couldn't give three craps about that.

of course, fayetteville folks get rocking for UT or the like. but LR folks make a game vs. louisiana-lafayette feel important.

No they don't.  2002 vs LSU was quiet as hell through much of the game due to LSU's dominance.  We had completed 2 passes all day till the final drive.  La Monroe a couple of years back, the crowd got loud ONCE and it was when we turned the ball over early on. After that, it was as avg as any other BCS conf football crowd.  This is myth that people have bought into.  LSU 2 years ago was a pitiful crowd.  But the excuse has already been made that we just didn't care(even though bowl eligibility was there for us so the game wasn't totally meaningless).

hydrophonic

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 21, 2006, 12:24:35 pmGood programs win at home due to talent, not crowd noise.  If it were all about crowd noise, LSU wouldn't choke every year at home at least once.  DKR in Austin isn't 'loud'.  Texass wins because they recruit better players.

Yes it is.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

cbjagman

Not trying to get into any debate about the merits (or demerits) of playing at WMS vs. RRS. I will say, however, that having as an alum of the U of A ('68-'72) things have definitely changed as far as fan enthusiasm is concerned. Back in the "olden days" of my student participation the crowd at both seemed in my mind to be about equal. Even as recently as the late 80s IMO it pretty much stayed that way. For some reason though starting in the early to mid 90s it seems that "sitting on one's hands" seemed the most popular thing to do for many in Fayetteville. I'm constantly been amazed and dismayed that so often even at critical times in a game so much of the crowd is so quiet in RRS. It's as if most act as if they're at a tennis match or chess tournament and they will be scolded if they raise h***. On the other hand, WMS seems to have crazies at almost every game, no matter who the opponent. One other observation: Last summer my financee moved back to Arkansas. She had not attended a Fayetteville game in over 20 years. We went to games in both LR and RRS. Even though she is pretty much a football novice she readily noticed the difference in the two stadiums. She asked me half jokingly if the RRS crowds were fined if they cheered the entire game.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hydrophonic on July 21, 2006, 12:39:14 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on July 21, 2006, 12:24:35 pmGood programs win at home due to talent, not crowd noise.  If it were all about crowd noise, LSU wouldn't choke every year at home at least once.  DKR in Austin isn't 'loud'.  Texass wins because they recruit better players.

Yes it is.

You're a long way from the field around the back of one endzone.  Texas wins there due to talent, not crowd noise.  A&M is louder but they aren't winning as much at home in recent years. 

Fans have become enamored with this crowd noise and tough venues.  Hell, espn has tried pitching it that Boise St is a tough place to play because of the crowd.  Same for Fresno.  Those can't be due to crowd noise.  Its due to coaching and players. 

Of course crowd noise helps the home teams adrenaline and maybe causes some false starts and communication issues.  But the games are not decided on those. 

Give us a winning product on the field and this debate will be done except for the Broyles and NWA haters.

nwarazfan

Quote from: cbjagman on July 21, 2006, 12:42:05 pm
Not trying to get into any debate about the merits (or demerits) of playing at WMS vs. RRS. I will say, however, that having as an alum of the U of A ('68-'72) things have definitely changed as far as fan enthusiasm is concerned. Back in the "olden days" of my student participation the crowd at both seemed in my mind to be about equal. Even as recently as the late 80s IMO it pretty much stayed that way. For some reason though starting in the early to mid 90s it seems that "sitting on one's hands" seemed the most popular thing to do for many in Fayetteville. I'm constantly been amazed and dismayed that so often even at critical times in a game so much of the crowd is so quiet in RRS. It's as if most act as if they're at a tennis match or chess tournament and they will be scolded if they raise h***. On the other hand, WMS seems to have crazies at almost every game, no matter who the opponent. One other observation: Last summer my financee moved back to Arkansas. She had not attended a Fayetteville game in over 20 years. We went to games in both LR and RRS. Even though she is pretty much a football novice she readily noticed the difference in the two stadiums. She asked me half jokingly if the RRS crowds were fined if they cheered the entire game.

Ever thought it was the product on the field starting in the 90s?

hogsanity

FAce it, crowds are loud when you are winning or driving for what could be the score that puts you ahead.  And, for the most part, we have been ahead in WMS because of who we played not how we played ( and yes there are exceptions ). 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hydrophonic

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 21, 2006, 12:46:32 pmYou're a long way from the field around the back of one endzone.  Texas wins there due to talent, not crowd noise.  A&M is louder but they aren't winning as much at home in recent years.

Agree on all 3 points.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

kuhog

Quote from: cbjagman on July 21, 2006, 12:42:05 pm

Good post! I agree 100%. I live in NWA, and have been a season ticket holder since 1991. I enjoy attending all Razorback games. However, due to the passionate fan base in Little Rock, I still prefer to attend games in WMS.

GAMECOCKBOY

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 20, 2006, 12:07:58 pm
I wish we played Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia in WMS so we could put this "we never lose at the Rock!" stuff to bed.

Does anything think maybe, just maybe, our Little Rock record may have something to do with the opposition...the fact that we always play at least one non-conference creampuff there, along with some of our lesser SEC opponents (Kentucky in 1998, South Carolina in 2003, Mississippi State last year)?

The LSU game every other year is the only premier opponent we ever play in Little Rock.  They were 4-7 when we beat them there in 1998.  They were 8-4...and had lost to Alabama-Birmingham and been smoked 41-9 by Florida...when we beat them in the muck in 2000.  We beat an 8-5 LSU team in a miracle in 2002...a season in which they lost four of their last six, with the only wins coming over Kentucky (33-30, the Bluegrass Miracle) and a 7-6 Ole Miss squad (14-13).  Alabama had humiliated them 31-0 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated, and Auburn beat the crap out of them 31-7.

And, of course...we got smoked like a cigar when they brought in one of their better teams in 2004.
doesnt look like my gamecocks will be playing in little rock for a good while if ever again.....
MESS WITH THE FEATHERS U SHALL GET SPURED!!!

GOOO GAMECOCKS!!!

tulsahog36

Quote from: Arkiejared on July 20, 2006, 11:42:04 am
LSU and Arkansas, tied.  This according to Phil Steele.  Colin Cowherd was running down the list of the best home field advantages conference by conference according to Mr. Steele.  Arkansas and LSU have ~5 pts. advantage at home field.  Good job, HOG fans!  :razorback:

I have and will continue to be one of the biggest Nutt supporters on this board, but that makes me question everything else Phil Steele has ever said.   Arkansas' home field advantage has been absent for along time.   That is something that needs to be fixed.   It is up to us, the fans, to fix it.   We need to make it so loud in RRS that the other teams cant hear themselfs think.   But based on the last 4 or 5 years, Arkansas tied with LSU as the best home field advantage?  I need a refund on Phil Steele's mag I bought, the rest of it must be full of crap too.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tulsahog36 on July 22, 2006, 07:50:23 am
LSU and Arkansas, tied.  This according to Phil Steele.  Colin Cowherd was running down the list of the best home field advantages conference by conference according to Mr. Steele.  Arkansas and LSU have ~5 pts. advantage at home field.  Good job, HOG fans!  :razorback:

I have and will continue to be one of the biggest Nutt supporters on this board, but that makes me question everything else Phil Steele has ever said.   Arkansas' home field advantage has been absent for along time.   That is something that needs to be fixed.   It is up to us, the fans, to fix it.   We need to make it so loud in RRS that the other teams cant hear themselfs think.   But based on the last 4 or 5 years, Arkansas tied with LSU as the best home field advantage?  I need a refund on Phil Steele's mag I bought, the rest of it must be full of crap too.

Why is it up to the fans to fix it? Are we getting pad to attend games and be loud? I think it's up to Houston Nutt to fix it...after 9 years of trying. After all, he's the one being paid over $1 million PER YEAR to fix it.

You go right ahead and support Nutt. If he doesn't get it right this year, you'll be supporting Nutt while he's on sabbatical and looking for a job at a Div 1-AA school. That is where he will end up. He's not Div. 1-A material.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 22, 2006, 09:58:48 am

Why is it up to the fans to fix it? Are we getting pad to attend games and be loud? I think it's up to Houston Nutt to fix it...after 9 years of trying. After all, he's the one being paid over $1 million PER YEAR to fix it.

You go right ahead and support Nutt. If he doesn't get it right this year, you'll be supporting Nutt while he's on sabbatical and looking for a job at a Div 1-AA school. That is where he will end up. He's not Div. 1-A material.

Blah blah blah.  Again HIm, why are you here and not on the shorthorn texass board?  The comment directed at the fans concerned the atmosphere at RRS.  THE FANS are what make a home field advantage.  Crowd noise is what the poster was referring too. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on July 22, 2006, 10:05:31 am

Blah blah blah.  Again HIm, why are you here and not on the shorthorn texass board?  The comment directed at the fans concerned the atmosphere at RRS.  THE FANS are what make a home field advantage.  Crowd noise is what the poster was referring too. 
Thanks, Helen Thomas.

I fully understood what he was saying. My post was not blah blah blah. It made a specific point. It is not up to us to make crowd noise. It is up to the head coach to put a team on the field and manage a game so that it will generate crowd noise. People attending games pay for a ticket and to enjoy the show/game. They are not being paid to make noise. They are paying to see something that will hopefully cause them to cheer. When you are 4-7 and 5-6 and usually at or under .500 in your conference every year, your crowds are not going to be cheering a lot.

If you want to cheer out of a moral obligation, I hope I am near your seat so I can make fun of you.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 22, 2006, 10:11:36 am

Thanks, Helen Thomas.

I fully understood what he was saying. My post was not blah blah blah. It made a specific point. It is not up to us to make crowd noise. It is up to the head coach to put a team on the field and manage a game so that it will generate crowd noise. People attending games pay for a ticket and to enjoy the show/game. They are not being paid to make noise. They are paying to see something that will hopefully cause them to cheer. When you are 4-7 and 5-6 and usually at or under .500 in your conference every year, your crowds are not going to be cheering a lot.

If you want to cheer out of a moral obligation, I hope I am near your seat so I can make fun of you.

WTH are you smoking, bevo ch&* chips?  If the fans do not make noisde, who will?  For one thing, what makes one cheer may not make the guy right next to him cheer.  Maybe someone who knows the game will cheer a great rotation by the safety on a pass play, while the guy next to him wont even notice that.  IT IS UP TO THE CROWD TO GET LOUD ON BIG DEFENSIVE PLAYS, to cheer a big run or good pass play. 

On a different note, whose avatar will you swithch too this year since the horns have no shot a repeating.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on July 22, 2006, 10:22:16 am
Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 22, 2006, 10:11:36 am

Thanks, Helen Thomas.

WTH are you smoking, bevo ch&* chips?  If the fans do not make noisde, who will?  For one thing, what makes one cheer may not make the guy right next to him cheer.  Maybe someone who knows the game will cheer a great rotation by the safety on a pass play, while the guy next to him wont even notice that.  IT IS UP TO THE CROWD TO GET LOUD ON BIG DEFENSIVE PLAYS, to cheer a big run or good pass play. 

On a different note, whose avatar will you swithch too this year since the horns have no shot a repeating.

I've been a Texas fan for as long as I've been a Hog fan. I will never have another avatar other than a Longhorn or a Razorback.

Crowds are not paid to cheer. Crowds PAY to be incented to cheer. If no incentive is created by the coaching staff, then no cheers. That is why most games at RRS are quieter than games at WMS...the Hogs lose a lot in RRS.

4thdownnutt

yeap us'ns that go to WMS arens't socialites liken the educated folks uo north