Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell is going to do awesome

Started by Tusks, November 03, 2017, 09:12:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadway Rob

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:32:49 pm
So he's coming in here and bringing SEC talent when Bret isn't.

LOLOLOL

That's not the point.  Petrino was winning with less talented players (on paper).  It's called, doing more with less.  Something, CBB has proven he cannot do here in the SEC. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:26:11 am
The solution is to hire a coach from a P5 conference like Gundy. Not some one hit wonder like Norvell that beats up on the likes of Navy, Connecticut, East Carolina, Tulsa etc....

So Gundy, who could go to FL, Tenn, A&M (if open), Auburn (if open) would come to Arkansas? 

Delusional - characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

swineology

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 04, 2017, 07:27:12 am
That's not the point.  Petrino was winning with less talented players (on paper).  It's called, doing more with less.  Something, CBB has proven he cannot do here in the SEC.

Oh boy, this is rich right here

There's not 1 WR at Arkansas right now that could hold J. Wright, G. Childs or J. Adams jock strap.

And nor 1 DL that could hold R. Thomas, D Philon or T. Flowers jock strap

carry on

jkstock04

The solution is to hire a coach from a P5 conference like Gundy. Not some one hit wonder like Norvell that beats up on the likes of Navy, Connecticut, East Carolina, Tulsa etc....
Fair enough...at least you offer an actual solution.

Only problem with that is I'm about as anti-Bielema as it gets. I want the furthest thing from Bret Bielema as possible and hiring a retread power 5 coach again doesn't seem awesome to me at the moment....Chip Kelly or even Gundy for that matter ain't coming to fville so basically we are going to have to get a complete retread like Les Miles.

Also for a guy like that like that it's gonna take a big time contract and salary with a super long leash. He's gonna come in here looking to collect a paycheck and win 6 or 7 games/year just like Bielema.

Not my idea of what we need but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BR

He is making 4.2, has a 3+ Million Buy-out...  In a much easier conference to win 9-10 games every year...          WHY would he want to come to the SEC, just signed a new contract that gives him all sorts of Perks..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

jacobp

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 03, 2017, 10:04:08 pm
Didn't hugh freeze beat him twice
Sure but he sold his soul to do it, and look where he and the OM football program are headed now

Broadway Rob

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:33:03 am
Oh boy, this is rich right here

There's not 1 WR at Arkansas right now that could hold J. Wright, G. Childs or J. Adams jock strap.

And nor 1 DL that could hold R. Thomas, D Philon or T. Flowers jock strap

carry on

Didn't you just contradict yourself.  You're saying they both had talented players?  Do we compare their records now?

And are you saying that Petrino's WR's didn't do better because of his system?  I mean Wright is the only one who has done anything since. 

swineology

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 04, 2017, 07:33:58 am
Fair enough...at least you offer an actual solution.

Only problem with that is I'm about as anti-Bielema as it gets. I want the furthest thing from Bret Bielema as possible and hiring a retread power 5 coach again doesn't seem awesome to me at the moment....Chip Kelly or even Gundy for that matter ain't coming to fville so basically we are going to have to get a complete retread like Les Miles.

Also for a guy like that like that it's gonna take a big time contract and salary with a super long leash. He's gonna come in here looking to collect a paycheck and win 6 or 7 games/year just like Bielema.

Not my idea of what we need but that's just my opinion.

That's a losers mentality, but I'll give you that.
Bret was a good safe hire at the time and it came out of no where.
Didn't, hasn't worked out.

Jeff can make a good hire and not have to scrape out an up and comer like Norvell and Morris. He proved it hiring Bob and Bret.

Arkansas and our facilities aren't chopped liver.

Kneph13

This entire season was an API Error.
There is no Political Correctness in war

swineology

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 04, 2017, 07:40:21 am
Didn't you just contradict yourself.  You're saying they both had talented players?  Do we compare their records now?

And are you saying that Petrino's WR's didn't do better because of his system?  I mean Wright is the only one who has done anything since.

Wright, Thomas, Philon and Flowers all play in the NFL last time I checked.

:o

jkstock04

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:42:01 am
That's a losers mentality, but I'll give you that.
Bret was a good safe hire at the time and it came out of no where.
Didn't, hasn't worked out.

Jeff can make a good hire and not have to scrape out an up and comer like Norvell and Morris. He proved it hiring Bob and Bret.

Arkansas and our facilities aren't chopped liver.
Hasn't worked out because it was a God awful hire. You guys can spin it and revision it all you want but we have been doomed for 6 years now.

Is what it is we will agree to disagree. You want a comfortable retread like Bielema and I want a young guy who still has something to prove. We will see what happens. Chances are we will probably be stuck with Bielema again next year anyways.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MissippHog

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:17:28 am
My God man, how delusional are you?

Every team that he's beat would lose to Mizzou. I agree Bret needs to go, but hiring Norvell would be a disaster.

But carry on with your delusional thought process even though we still have a HC that will get a "w" today.
I was telling myself that I wasn't going to respond to you again but...............ha ha ha ha ha!  We are NOT getting Gundy or anyone like that.  After we pay CBB's buyout (assuming that he even gets fired) do you think we're just going to go pay $2-4 million on someone else's buyout plus a $4+ million salary?  Talking about delusional. 

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on November 03, 2017, 10:05:25 pm
And he never lost to A&M, usually beat Auburn, and did well against LSU, who was playing for BCS championships during his time, not the train wreck LSU Bert has played against. 

Try to keep up.

Or go embrace you some 11-26, you seem to have a great affinity for that kind of suck.

While this is true, remember aTm was not in the SEC back then.  Things have changed with that program, unfortunately.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 04, 2017, 07:58:18 am
While this is true, remember aTm was not in the SEC back then.  Things have changed with that program, unfortunately.

Please.  A&M has been the same exact team for 80 years....good but never great, always just failing to capture their potential, typically failing in some spectacular way that makes them the butt of all jokes here in Texas.  There is a misnomer that somehow being in Texas, and being so close to Houston, they are a dynasty in waiting.  But people easily forget that they are a school full of farming dorks, the town is the Starkville of Texas, and they simply cant replicate the talent or results of their brethren in Austin.  Hell, even Bret bielema should have beat them 4 years in a row, that's when you know it's bad.

rhames

I don't understand why anyone would what Bielema to coach the hogs next year.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Gonzo

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 03, 2017, 10:05:58 pm
It might get old after a few years of it but I'd enjoy it for a few years first.

I agree, just got to laugh at questions like that. Get back to us when that becomes an "every year" scenario and we'll talk about it. Don't see this staff ever making it a one year event.

Go Hogs!

ChicoHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 03, 2017, 10:00:04 pm
This is fun football to watch.  There are no guarantees with any coach. We thought we hit a grand slam with CBB .  But it does seem like the excitement that surrounds Norvell may be the closest thing to unifying our fan base and bringing life back to our program. There are a lot of names out there and a lot of positives and negatives but it just seems like Norvell is a dude we can all get behind and enjoy the ride.

And for those that say Norvell wouldn't want to come here now that he is blowing up, I think you are wrong. I think he would love to be here. Let's bring Mrs. Norvell back home!
I agree with your post but let's be honest in that they are playing teams with virtually no defense.  The only decent defense they have played was UCF and they destroyed the Tigers.  The only SEC teams with crappy defenses are Mizzou, Ole Miss and Hogs.  I think every other team would shut that down in a heartbeat.  I'll take Brent Venables and he can hire a good OC. 

hawgsalot

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on November 03, 2017, 10:05:25 pm
And he never lost to A&M, usually beat Auburn, and did well against LSU, who was playing for BCS championships during his time, not the train wreck LSU Bert has played against. 

Try to keep up.

Or go embrace you some 11-26, you seem to have a great affinity for that kind of suck.

I'm not pumping CBB but we have to remember CBP only beat 2 teams with a winning SEC record, two.  The SEC just wasn't as good as CBB first 4 years overall.

EastTNHog

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:17:28 am
My God man, how delusional are you?

Every team that he's beat would lose to Mizzou. I agree Bret needs to go, but hiring Norvell would be a disaster.

But carry on with your delusional thought process even though we still have a HC that will get a "w" today.
In what way would hiring Norvell be a disaster? And please, don't get personal.

lumphog

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 03, 2017, 10:08:42 pm
Just watched Memphis whip Tulsa, and if we get Norvell, I hope he does not get discouraged when he realizes he had more talent at Memphis. 
BULLSHEEET!!!! & WE need to recruit Memphis MORE!!!!!

texas tush hog

ATU HOG

Both are risks, however I would like to see us go after someone who has success at a lower division and has that drive to have that success at the higher level.  Not sure how I feel about Norvel because he's only been a head coach for 2 years, but it's time to take a gamble and go a different direction

ipigsooie

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 04, 2017, 09:08:28 am
I agree with your post but let's be honest in that they are playing teams with virtually no defense.  The only decent defense they have played was UCF and they destroyed the Tigers.  The only SEC teams with crappy defenses are Mizzou, Ole Miss and Hogs.  I think every other team would shut that down in a heartbeat.  I'll take Brent Venables and he can hire a good OC.

They beat ucla. They scored more against ucla than a&m did....oh and they beat ucla, unlike a&m.  You can only play the schedule you have. They had a bad game against ucf. It happens. They beat Houston on the road after trailing at half. The same Houston team that just beat usf who was ranked in the top 20 and coached by Charlie strong. Norvell is a good coach. He also places and emphasis on special teams. That would be something that would be unheard of under the CBB era.

HoggyCat

He's doing with equal talent as his opponents.

He won't have equal talent here.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

CDBHawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 03, 2017, 09:58:20 pm
So, you'd be happy every year if we were #3 with two games to play and lost those last two games every year?

What year did this happen?

When we were #3, we lost to #2 LSU then beat #8 K-State.

ipigsooie

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 04, 2017, 10:10:21 am

I'm pretty sure ucla has more talent. Their qb is a projected to go in the top 10. I saw a mock where he is going to the giants at 3. The talent at ucla is way better than Memphis.

Paul

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 04, 2017, 10:10:21 am

. U think Memphis's talent is equal to UCLA?

CDBHawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 03, 2017, 09:54:40 pm
No, you wouldn't if it was followed by two losses every year.

Again, this didn't happen.

LZH

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:31:30 pm
His name is spelled Bret, if you're gonna respond please spell his name right

Your name obviously isn't swineology, so what should we call you?
For Pete's sake man, get off your hands and knees and quit being such a puss.

CDBHawg

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 09:48:18 pm
Petrino never beat Bama or any other top 10 team in his "error"

Beat #6 LSU in 2010.

Beat #10 South Carolina in 2011. Beat #8 KState in 2011.

clutch

Quote from: moses_007 on November 04, 2017, 01:29:41 am
He can think that from now to doom's day. But will Jeff Long even consider him?  You reckon he wrote Jeffrey a love letter?

I think that if he feels there's a good chance he's going to be here then his camp has probably already had some discussions.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: The Pulse on November 03, 2017, 09:36:24 pm
There would be a lot to look forward to if Norvell gets hired. There would be absolutely nothing but crap to look forward to if JL tries to keep Bielema.

Wrong.  We will look forward to basketball and baseball season.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ipigsooie

Quote from: clutch on November 04, 2017, 01:09:33 pm
I think that if he feels there's a good chance he's going to be here then his camp has probably already had some discussions.

^^^^^This. I guarantee you that if there is mutual interest, JL has had some contact with his agent. Say what you want about JL but he isnt a dummy. If he is even considering a change, he is researching his options and putting feelers out there.

TNRazorbacker

No No No. The Norvell love is Waaaaay premature. The man is in season 2 of his head coaching career and took over a team that was already rebuilt to win. He has no resume otherwise.

This is just another example of being distracted by whomever happens to be flashing in the pan at the moment. If we are promoting from the mid majors we can afford to make sure its someone with the history worthy of the promotion.   

moses_007

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 04, 2017, 01:50:46 pm
No No No. The Norvell love is Waaaaay premature. The man is in season 2 of his head coaching career and took over a team that was already rebuilt to win. He has no resume otherwise.

This is just another example of being distracted by whomever happens to be flashing in the pan at the moment. If we are promoting from the mid majors we can afford to make sure its someone with the history worthy of the promotion.   
Absolutely agree.  Norvell isn't SEC ready. 

Pete Carroll for Head Hog?  He's always wanted our job.  He may be getting tired of the Seahawks.......

Hawginj

There is a lot to like about Norvell. Young energetic,  fun high scoring offense, great special teams, state ties ect. Plus gives some hope of change because lets face it all hope is gone with the current staff and philosophy. Go Hogs!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawginj on November 04, 2017, 02:27:31 pm
There is a lot to like about Norvell. Young energetic,  fun high scoring offense, great special teams, state ties ect. Plus gives some hope of change because lets face it all hope is gone with the current staff and philosophy. Go Hogs!

ALL hope is not gone.  There's some dingleberries still hanging on the the last hair.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hawginj

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 04, 2017, 02:29:56 pm
ALL hope is not gone.  There's some dingleberries still hanging on the the last hair.
well i guess i dont value dingleberry opinions lol

MissippHog

Oh, ok, that makes sense.  Go find some established mid-major coach that's been toiling away at some small school and hasn't been able to land a P5 job.  Makes oerfect sense.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawginj on November 04, 2017, 02:35:29 pm
well i guess i dont value dingleberry opinions lol

I'm just getting scared that the powers that be are dingleberries.

Hawginj

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 04, 2017, 02:39:32 pm
I'm just getting scared that the powers that be are dingleberries.
They very well may be, but i have faith that the right call will be made.

CDBHawg

Who?

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hawginj on November 04, 2017, 02:41:11 pm
They very well may be, but i have faith that the right call will be made.

Blind Faith.  Was a good group back in the day.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ipigsooie

Youre so right. This is his very first job. He didnt have a top 5 offense at a power 5 school for 2 years straight. Memphis just hired him off the street with no resume.

King Kong

Quote from: HeathWimp on November 03, 2017, 09:27:30 pm
There is no way we could land someone like Novell, considering how beaten down this program is.  We'll have to settle for a retread like Miles, or maybe an assistant that no one has heard of.

And I'm still not convinced that BB is leaving.

Stupidiest post I have seen in a long time.

King Kong

For the record it should be Kiffin we hire.

But Norvell brings some positives. SEC is tough if you haven't been there. I hope he can put together a good staff.

Arkansas Fan

Why do you love his offense? Because it's not what we're running now? If so, the style of offense we're running isn't the problem.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 04, 2017, 04:15:33 pm
Why do you love his offense? Because it's not what we're running now? If so, the style of offense we're running isn't the problem.

It averages 42.1 points per.

Ours is only 26.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 04, 2017, 03:40:19 pm
Youre so right. This is his very first job. He didnt have a top 5 offense at a power 5 school for 2 years straight. Memphis just hired him off the street with no resume.

Yes I am. Thank you.