Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I must admit, the preseason predictions concerning the Hogs concern me...

Started by Kamkaizen, October 26, 2017, 07:40:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamkaizen

I am well aware that predictions are just what they are - predictions.  Predictions don't guarantee an outcome, by any means.  But, picking the Hogs to finish near the middle of the conference?  Ouch.  Either I am way too optimistic about this year's team or we are way underrated by the media.  In Mike Anderson's tenure at Arkansas, his team has always finished higher than the media predicted, but only by 1 or 2 spots.  So far, we haven't totally blown the predictions out of the water under Mike Anderson.  I've been asking myself "do the other teams in the SEC really have players who are so much better than we have that we should be picked near the middle of the pack?"  I sure hope not.  After the football season we've endured, we need for the basketball team to have an amazing season.  Personally, I'm a Hog fan in Atlanta, GA and I'm currently getting laughed at.  Basketball Hogs, HELP!!!   :P

Hogberry Snortcake

This has crossed my mind as well.  When these thoughts rear their head, I take a (mental) club and beat them to death (in my mind).  After the sh!!show that the football program has become, we deserve better. 

cardsNhogs

1. Macon and Barford are really good and they don't get that

2. They look at us losing Kingsley like he was SEC Player of the year when clearly he wasnt that good last season.

3. Gafford is not yet known like he will be known

Hog Fan...DOH!

There are some really good teams and players around the league.  A 6th place finish this year probably gets a bid.  Look for Arkansas to get better as the season progresses- and Gafford gets more PT.

Just enjoy it.  The Bud should be awesome this year. 

CPO Hog

The HOGs have 2 proven scoring guards in Macon and Barford, who are not pre-season all SEC selections, some roll player, and some unproven talent. Based off of that, I would pick them in the middle of the pack too. BUT I'm a HOG fan and I think that at least one of the roll players and a couple of the unproven guys will up their game to prime time. This team is the most athletic CMA has had on the Hill. If they jell early, I think by conference time they will run some teams out of the gym, and challenged UK for #1.

Hawg Red

League figures to be stronger/better this season, building off an underrated season as a league last year. Also, you can pick a team 6/7 and not see much difference between that team and the team at #2. We don't get that context when we see a lot of these predictions. Plus, 7 teams could reasonably make the Dance out of the SEC this year and the Hogs have outperformed preseason expectations every year under Anderson (save for maybe 2015-2016).

I don't think a 6th/7th prediction is concerning at all, and I'm not worried about it. I think the Hogs can finish anywhere from #2 to #7 in the league. So many variables and unknowns for all teams right now. The team is longer and more athletic than it has been under Anderson, we have a blue-chip big man, two proven returning guards that are All-SEC caliber, and a schedule that will allow for us to drop more games than we'd usually like to that would allow us to hit that 6th or 7th-place finish we're projected for and still be safely in the NCAA tournament. This team is in a great spot to go to back-to-back tournaments under the same coach for the first time in 12 years (!!!!!!). And that is exciting because we know that this coach won't be getting fired anytime soon so we can actually keep building on that momentum.

Fan701

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 26, 2017, 08:56:50 am
League figures to be stronger/better this season, building off an underrated season as a league last year. Also, you can pick a team 6/7 and not see much difference between that team and the team at #2. We don't get that context when we see a lot of these predictions. Plus, 7 teams could reasonably make the Dance out of the SEC this year and the Hogs have outperformed preseason expectations every year under Anderson (save for maybe 2015-2016).

I don't think a 6th/7th prediction is concerning at all, and I'm not worried about it. I think the Hogs can finish anywhere from #2 to #7 in the league. So many variables and unknowns for all teams right now. The team is longer and more athletic than it has been under Anderson, we have a blue-chip big man, two proven returning guards that are All-SEC caliber, and a schedule that will allow for us to drop more games than we'd usually like to that would allow us to hit that 6th or 7th-place finish we're projected for and still be safely in the NCAA tournament. This team is in a great spot to go to back-to-back tournaments under the same coach for the first time in 12 years (!!!!!!). And that is exciting because we know that this coach won't be getting fired anytime soon so we can actually keep building on that momentum.

What you write makes good sense, although I would amend it to read that I could see us finishing anywhere from #1 to #7.  I'm pretty sure we'll be in the top half, but is there a chance that we'll spoil the party for Kentucky or Florida this year?  For the first time in many, many years I think it is possible that we win it all, though I'm not going to bet on it.

TexasRazorback

Alot of the SEC had good recruiting classes as well. Most preseason rankings are off of recruits coming in, look at mizzou, awful last year, bring in Porter Jr. and they are top 25. Remember Flutz and Simmons, just because one great player goes to a school doesn't mean there team will be good

311Hog

I am waiting for the impact of the FBI investigation to show up in the SEC.  At least i think there will be an impact.  I think Auburn could get stung, Missou should be improved.

Obviously you never know how it is going to shake out, but i feel we have all the ingredients to at least repeat the results of last year maybe even finally not draw UNC and get to the sweet 16.  I would feel like Mike's "job" would be an overall success with that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Fan701 on October 26, 2017, 09:54:49 am
What you write makes good sense, although I would amend it to read that I could see us finishing anywhere from #1 to #7.  I'm pretty sure we'll be in the top half, but is there a chance that we'll spoil the party for Kentucky or Florida this year?  For the first time in many, many years I think it is possible that we win it all, though I'm not going to bet on it.

I think Texas A&M wins the SEC, not Kentucky or Florida.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 26, 2017, 08:56:50 am

They outperformed preseason projection in '15 and '16, amazingly. 

cableguy

The preseason prediction will do nothing but motivate them, so it doesn't concern me at all , but it makes me feel better.  We should be a much better rebounding team this year over last year.  We got all our forwards returning plus a rebounding machine in Daniel Gafford. I really think our guards will be the key this year, if Barford and Macon can hold serve from their play from last year, it's a good chance of us being good.  If CJ Jones steps up than we got a chance of being consistently in the top 25. Kentucky don't have anybody that will make me scared of them.  I will be surprise if we don't finish ahead of Kentucky in the conference.

widespreadsooie

People who put out these predictions know nothing. It's their job, there's a market for it, so they'll look at a few stats and recruits and come up with a list on a whim.

HognitiveDissonance

I was a a little surprised at the predictions. I thought we would be tabbed 3rd or 4th by most pundits.

elviscat

You guys get rattle by sports writers who know very little about the game. We have a solid team with a great coach. I think we will be in the top tier of the programs in the SEC. We know have the talent to compete.

mizzouman

Quote from: TexasRazorback on October 26, 2017, 09:57:30 am
Alot of the SEC had good recruiting classes as well. Most preseason rankings are off of recruits coming in, look at mizzou, awful last year, bring in Porter Jr. and they are top 25. Remember Flutz and Simmons, just because one great player goes to a school doesn't mean there team will be good
Don't know why people always compare Porter to these other two guys.  It's a lazy comparison without doing homework.  Now, that doesn't mean Mizzou will make the NCAAT, they may not, but this comparison is way off base.

Letsroll1200

Arkansas could finish between 4 and 6. I think the league is strong and deep. Arkansas need to have a exceptional nonconference record because I think the SEC conference schedule will be tough. I'm not concerned about a 6 place finish because that could still get the Hogs in the NCAA tournament. It's all about winning in the nonconference for the SEC this season.

draftkings33

This is the best the SEC has been in a long time.  A top 5 finish would be fine with me.  Hope we finish top 3 though.  Missouri is gonna be really good come January

Hawg Red

I did see a Mizzou-based SB Nation writer had us pegged for 10th. I won't consider that one at all. No way we finish that low. That's egregious.

BossHog12

You gotta think the preseason predictions and preseason All SEC snubs for Macon and Barford will have this team wanting to prove themselves. I wonder if Moses wasn't selected preseason POY last year he comes out with a fire and is a bigger impact early. This program doesn't have the big names that the media bases these predictions off. I think it's the type of team that needs to have a chip on their shoulders all season for it to be a special one. Regardless,  the BUD will be rockin this year!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Kamkaizen on October 26, 2017, 07:40:49 am
I am well aware that predictions are just what they are - predictions.  Predictions don't guarantee an outcome, by any means.  But, picking the Hogs to finish near the middle of the conference?  Ouch.  Either I am way too optimistic about this year's team or we are way underrated by the media.  In Mike Anderson's tenure at Arkansas, his team has always finished higher than the media predicted, but only by 1 or 2 spots.  So far, we haven't totally blown the predictions out of the water under Mike Anderson.  I've been asking myself "do the other teams in the SEC really have players who are so much better than we have that we should be picked near the middle of the pack?"  I sure hope not.  After the football season we've endured, we need for the basketball team to have an amazing season.  Personally, I'm a Hog fan in Atlanta, GA and I'm currently getting laughed at.  Basketball Hogs, HELP!!!   :P

To me if we are to get to the top tier and consistency we need to find more ways to score than just with shooters who are up and down.  To me the more ways we can score, stop people from scoring and rebounding misses the more consistent we will be.  I love Mike signing longer and more athletic 2s and 3s who can score in different ways plus will really help him run his full court press.  That has been a missing for several years.  Now for us to move up even higher  of winning the SEC and to being ranked in the top 10 again we need to sign more athletic bigs who can rebounds, playing tough defense and scoring.  Mostly our 4s have been shorter and below average potentially playing for top 20 teams competing in the P5.   We have had some good players at the 5 even but little help at the 4.  I think better 4s would even help our 5s.

I think we can beat many teams playing a tough athletic 6'6+ guy at the 4  but usually against the top 10 teams depending on match ups that it will cost us in rebounding, put back points and extra possessions enough to come up short.     

That is the reason I love us recruiting Chaney.  For us to reach the next level of consistency this is exactly the type of 4 we need. 

98hogs

I miss the old Street & Smith's College Basketball issue.  Time for another Hog on the Cover.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 27, 2017, 11:30:20 am
To me if we are to get to the top tier and consistency we need to find more ways to score than just with shooters who are up and down.  To me the more ways we can score, stop people from scoring and rebounding misses the more consistent we will be.  I love Mike signing longer and more athletic 2s and 3s who can score in different ways plus will really help him run his full court press.  That has been a missing for several years.  Now for us to move up even higher  of winning the SEC and to being ranked in the top 10 again we need to sign more athletic bigs who can rebounds, playing tough defense and scoring.  Mostly our 4s have been shorter and below average potentially playing for top 20 teams competing in the P5.   We have had some good players at the 5 even but little help at the 4.  I think better 4s would even help our 5s.

I think we can beat many teams playing a tough athletic 6'6+ guy at the 4  but usually against the top 10 teams depending on match ups that it will cost us in rebounding, put back points and extra possessions enough to come up short.     

That is the reason I love us recruiting Chaney.  For us to reach the next level of consistency this is exactly the type of 4 we need.

You sir, are my second favorite Jump Ball poster behind Kevin Mcpherson lol.  You are always finding new ways to say that we need more 4's, and I respect the heck out of that. 

SPAL

So, we will be better if we find more ways to score and more ways to keep the other team from scoring while being better on the glass than the other team. What a concept.

niels_boar

CBS picked Arkansas at #36 in the nation, which would be a solid at-large bid.

Offense hasn't been Arkansas' problem.  We've had top 30 offenses in two of the last three years. Even in 2016 the offense spent most of the year in the top 40 and top 30 before that shorthanded team ran out of gas down the stretch.  The O could always be better, but we could have won 30 games with a top-50 defense last season.  I should say a top-50 defense for the entire season.  In 2015 and 2017 you are talking about two different teams defensively before and after February.

The next step for Arkansas is to put a better defense on the court.  The guards have been a bigger problem on D than the baseline.  Kingsley was one of the best defenders in college basketball.  Really fast guards and multi-tooled wings have given us fits.  Small guards unable to switch onto bigger players have also been a problem for us. 

This roster should fix some of those problems in the backcourt.  We shouldn't have any player on the court as defensively challenged as Madden, Bell, or Hannahs.  We have multiple 6-5+ players with athleticism on the wing. Some of the lineups that we will put out there will still have some of the same vulnerabilities, but we have the options to match up with most lineups now.  The question is whether we can match up on D without sacrificing too much on O.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.