Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trouble at Auburn (New York Times article)

Started by alabama Hawg, July 13, 2006, 07:21:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: hogsmaster on July 14, 2006, 12:02:39 am
Quote from: THROWITDEEP on July 13, 2006, 10:53:41 pm
It appears that Professor Gundlach was on a witch hunt for Professor Petee and his job as the Sociology department head.   I think this will all be blown out of proportion by the media.  It sounds like the guy is not teaching as many of the courses as he did.  This just goes to show how office politics can turn nasty and mean very quick.

This goes on all around the country in big time college football.  Auburn just got caught.

That is pretty sad that you painted Gundlach as this evil jealous guy.  I doubt if you know about the situation anymore than what was in that article, but I don't think most of us saw the same thing you did from reading that article.  To me, Gundlach was pissed that some students (including student-athletes) were getting easy grades for little to no work.  Gundlach hated that a fellow faculty member was jeopardizing the integrity of their profession and college institution by just handing out easy A's without making the students earn them.  Although I am not a college professor, I am proud of my own profession and would be ashamed if its integrity is compromised.

Now...to answer your reply of my post...Professor Gundlach admitted that he was jealous.  He said that it played a role in turning this over.  I never said that he was evil, I just called it like I saw it and guess what?  That's the way it has turned out.   

It has been written and said that a university professor is one of the most political jobs that a person can have.  It gets dirty in those departments when a bunch of intellectuals get together and don't get what they want or think they deserve.  They form little groups and get people on their team and use any and all power to get things done.  I know...I am a teacher.  I see it all the time. 

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 14, 2006, 06:08:40 pm
Quote from: THROWITDEEP on July 14, 2006, 05:57:46 pm
Quote from: silvertip on July 14, 2006, 11:39:17 am
It appears that Professor Gundlach was on a witch hunt for Professor Petee and his job as the Sociology department head.   I think this will all be blown out of proportion by the media.  It sounds like the guy is not teaching as many of the courses as he did.  This just goes to show how office politics can turn nasty and mean very quick.

This goes on all around the country in big time college football.  Auburn just got caught.

What does it matter what Prof Gundlach's motivation was? What is important is whether the allegations are true or not. If true, then Prof Petee has no professional ethics & should be fired.

As for your assertion that this goes on all around the country, I'm sure you don't have the facts to back that up.
Just becuase it gets exposed now & then at places like Aub, Tenn, or OK doesn't necessarily mean it goes on everywhere. And it won't be cleaned up until schools like Aub fire people like Petee, and media like the NY Times holds them up to ridicule.

I have 10 years of experience working in college athletics as a football coach and support staff.  I have worked for Division I, Division II and NAIA schools and I am here to tell you that it goes on.   ALL COACHES have a "favorite" professor that they send athletes to because they are easy.  Did I say it was right?  No, I said that it goes on.  So...yes, I have the facts to back it up.
My own experience. 

I believe it goes on at varying degrees all over the country, for one simple reason: money. The lure of money and a winning program is so great that corners will be cut.  It's been going on for 75 years.

AMEN!  UAB...(and I will say this because an AD at a Sun Belt school told me this) has cheated and cut corners in the past (stress past) to be so successful rather fast.  I'm talking about football here.  They were an NAIA team back in the early 90's then all of a sudden jump to D-1 a few years later and win.  How did they do that I asked the AD?  His simple answer...they cheated.

Yes, Wilson you are right, not all cheat like some others do.  But the others are very very creative.

silvertip

It appears that Professor Gundlach was on a witch hunt for Professor Petee and his job as the Sociology department head.   I think this will all be blown out of proportion by the media.  It sounds like the guy is not teaching as many of the courses as he did.  This just goes to show how office politics can turn nasty and mean very quick.

What does it matter what Prof Gundlach's motivation was? What is important is whether the allegations are true or not. If true, then Prof Petee has no professional ethics & should be fired.

As for your assertion that this goes on all around the country, I'm sure you don't have the facts to back that up.
Just becuase it gets exposed now & then at places like Aub, Tenn, or OK doesn't necessarily mean it goes on everywhere. And it won't be cleaned up until schools like Aub fire people like Petee, and media like the NY Times holds them up to ridicule.

I have 10 years of experience working in college athletics as a football coach and support staff.  I have worked for Division I, Division II and NAIA schools and I am here to tell you that it goes on.   ALL COACHES have a "favorite" professor that they send athletes to because they are easy.  Did I say it was right?  No, I said that it goes on.  So...yes, I have the facts to back it up.
My own experience. 

Sorry, but if you have only 10 years experience, and some of that in NAIA and D-II, then I doubt you have worked at many D-1 schools. That's not enough experience to make such sweeping generalizations.

Of course, every coach has his favorite professor. Just as students learn which profs to shoot for, based on some easier than others. I played that game myself, 10 years experience attending 3 different universities. But I actually had to go to class & do more than one 10-page book report.

Did you even read the entire NY Times article? No way that what Prof Petee was doing "goes on everywhere."

THROWITDEEP

Read the above quote to Wilson.  Not all cheat...but others are very creative.  10 years?  I have been around college athletics my entire life.  My father was an administrator. 

I read the entire article and have done research on it today.  I never said that what he did was right, I just said that it goes on.

There is no reason to bust my balls

hogsmaster

Quote from: THROWITDEEP on July 14, 2006, 06:20:14 pm
Quote from: hogsmaster on July 14, 2006, 12:02:39 am
It appears that Professor Gundlach was on a witch hunt for Professor Petee and his job as the Sociology department head.   I think this will all be blown out of proportion by the media.  It sounds like the guy is not teaching as many of the courses as he did.  This just goes to show how office politics can turn nasty and mean very quick.

That is pretty sad that you painted Gundlach as this evil jealous guy.  I doubt if you know about the situation anymore than what was in that article, but I don't think most of us saw the same thing you did from reading that article.  To me, Gundlach was pissed that some students (including student-athletes) were getting easy grades for little to no work.  Gundlach hated that a fellow faculty member was jeopardizing the integrity of their profession and college institution by just handing out easy A's without making the students earn them.  Although I am not a college professor, I am proud of my own profession and would be ashamed if its integrity is compromised.

Now...to answer your reply of my post...Professor Gundlach admitted that he was jealous.  He said that it played a role in turning this over.  I never said that he was evil, I just called it like I saw it and guess what?  That's the way it has turned out.  

Where did you get that Gundlach was jealous?  The quote from the Huntsville Times is as followed:  "Gundlach, officials said, confirmed to Auburn that, at least in part, his dissatisfaction with being passed over when Petee was promoted in 2002 led him to ultimately take his allegations to The New York Times earlier this year."

There was no direct quote of Gundlach.  You assuming Gundlach was jealous because a reporter included the above paragraph.  First of all, why didn't the reporter quoted Gundlach on the matter?  Secondly, who are these "Auburn officials" and what exactly did they say?  I mean, that is a real good piece of journalism.  Even if certain "Auburn officials" said something, they may very well have an interest in discrediting Gundlach.  Heck, Gundlach may have already been mad at Peete for unethical conducts and reported him to Auburn officials, and then found out that Peete not only didn't get punished but got promoted too.  If I was Gundlach, I would be PO too, and if Auburn wasn't going to address the problem, then I would make more people aware of it by going to the media.  Maybe Gundlach wasn't jealous that someone got promoted over him, but he was mad because he got passed over for a job by a person that he knew was a cheater who knew how to play the game and got rewarded for it.

THROWITDEEP

Okay, okay, maybe jealous was too harsh.  You guys are way to passionate about this.  I was just stating my opinion.  My god...football season needs to start.

THROWITDEEP

BTW...I have a Bachelors from one of the hardest private Presbyterian schools in the country and guess what it says on my transcript: Social Science with an emphasis in Sociology.

I will guarantee you that my classes were not easy at all.  Someone said earlier that Sociology was a crappy degree anyway.   You can think that if you like, but it changed my perspective on the world and I do not regret it at all.

lyon98

I have 10 years of experience working in college athletics as a football coach and support staff.  I have worked for Division I, Division II and NAIA schools and I am here to tell you that it goes on.   ALL COACHES have a "favorite" professor that they send athletes to because they are easy.  Did I say it was right?  No, I said that it goes on.  So...yes, I have the facts to back it up.
My own experience. 

I have a friend that was an AA at Ohio State and it does go, he wouldn't wear his letter  jacket to class as there were prof's that hated the fact the athletes got scholarships and favored those that didn't have them. Ohio State might be an exception as I have not heard tell of it happening in the south.

The UVA built a new indoor swimming pool above ground. Below it was parking space. Liberal profs did not want money spent on athletic facilities. No one recognized it as a swimming pool until water began to leak on the faculty's cars. There is all sorts of bias.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

THROWITDEEP

The Auburn Family Home Page, lol.  That has been around for a while, but I had forgotten about that.  That is some funny stuff.

"Hi, my name is Bobby Lee and welcome to my Auburn Family Home Page"

Funny!